Author Topic: Victoria BC meetup end of June/beginning of July  (Read 18674 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Victoria BC meetup end of June/beginning of July
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2015, 10:50:51 AM »
Oh definitely, November is a good month for staying inside.  Icky, dreary, depressing outside, inside is so much nicer. Or going someplace sunny (like Baja).

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2015, 01:43:36 PM »
Lol; my DH LOVES November because of the windstorms here.  It's sailing weather! Apparently.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
Lol; my DH LOVES November because of the windstorms here.  It's sailing weather! Apparently.

+1. I love windstorms, lightning, thunder, snow, sun, rain, hail. I can't bear to miss any of them!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2015, 05:27:39 PM »
Bump => to confirm plans and get this out while the forum is up.

June 30: We meet at the Estuary Nature Centre building as an easy landmark, then move to the park/picnic tables a few yards away. At noon. Bring food & beverages.  I am assuming public park means no liquor.

Eight days and counting.  ;-)

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2015, 08:39:58 PM »
It s OK.
I ll make sure to bring you some Lucky!
Hahahahahahahaha

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2015, 07:11:05 AM »
You mean discrete alcohol is OK?  Crazy.  Mm, need to find a nice low alcohol cooler or cider or Mike's lemonade (low alcohol because of brain function, I have to drive to Nanaimo that evening).

Is Lucky a beer?  I have been trying my whole life to like the taste of beer, and failing the whole time.  It was very discouraging when I was at University, because who had any money in the budget for hard stuff?  And I have been to tastings and events at mini-and micro-brews, and they always think I will like their beer - never.  Plus now I don't eat grains, which totally means beer is off limits - good thing I don't like it anyway.  ;-)  Maybe my body was trying to tell me something all those years?

That hahahahahaha sounds ominous - is Lucky the kind of drink you chug because you are thirsty, not something you sip and enjoy? Or do we take it in hand and start the "I am Canadian" rant?

It s OK.
I ll make sure to bring you some Lucky!
Hahahahahahahaha

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2015, 04:33:27 AM »
In exactly one week from now I should have made it through Security and be sitting at the gate waiting for boarding. . . . .

Yes, in my head I am counting down the days.  In real life I am scrambling to get everything done now that needs doing in the next 3 weeks, so I can walk away and not worry.

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2015, 07:40:41 AM »
Yes Lucky is the beer  on the Island.
It is awful but people from ONT  love to have their pics taken surrounded by cans and boxes with the name front and center.
Well at least my peeps do.

Relax it is gonna be a great adventure on a beautiful island.
 It will be 28C and sunny for the Cowichan meetup.
 Bring a hat!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2015, 06:28:06 AM »
The Weather Network says you have been hot all spring while we have been cool and rainy.  Hats are de rigeur.  I will make sunblock a high priority purchase when I land.  Am I being optimistic about ocean temperatures when I contemplate packing a swimsuit and maybe even mask and snorkel?  I am being totally unmustachian about the flight, I am taking a checked on bag as well as a carry-on.  What decadence  ;-)  (but room for the mask and snorkel if it is a good idea).

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
We have had a lot of hot weather so it might be ok for swimming in the ocean. You could always give it a try. There are lots of wonderful lakes for swimming in the area too.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2015, 03:28:09 PM »
The deeper, current heavy waters (in which my island lies) do not experience ANY warming effect by the hot weather. Zip. Any swimming or snokeling requires a decent wetsuit or else hypothermia will by your friend. HOWEVER, on nearby Vancouver Island, and particularly on the east side, there are places (Parksville, Qualicum) where the tide goes out for MILES, leaving a huge expanse of sandy ground, which will heat up in the sun...and when the tide comes in over that warm sand, the water heats up like a freakin' bathtub...R@63, that's your best bet for some comfortable ocean swimming. I also like it for practicing my kayak rolls and fancy rescue techniques. I am a wuss when it comes to cold water. :-)

For the meetup I am going to try to catch some fish the day before - I would love to bring some of my killer fish tacos with an accompanying chipotle slaw...so, so, good.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »
OMG Jon_Snow, fish tacos are my faavorite!  Drool.  And to echo you about swimming in the ocean--haha, good joke!  Bring your wetsuit, as JS says. :)  Kids do it all the time, of course, and Rathtrevor is fabulous and worth a try, though no snorkel or mask needed, as you're in the shallows, so few fishies.  Around here, people swim in the rivers and lakes, which luckily are also plentiful and gorgeous.  So depending on your journey, a bathing suit might be worthwhile.

Glad you're so excited about your upcoming trip! 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2015, 04:15:16 AM »
Everything is relative - around here people "open up the cottage" on Victoria Day weekend, and of course the ice probably went out less than a month earlier, and we still swim.  Mind you the "swim" is 3 minutes, then shivering in the sun for 10. I trust the fresh water swimming will be warmer?  And Jon Snow's description of water warmed by the warm sand below sounds nice.  I'm not used to thinking about the effects of tides.  So suit yes, mask and snorkel, no.

Fish tacos sound great - any fish fresh caught sounds wonderful.  I'll just skip the taco since it is a grain (I used to have cast-iron digestion, no longer, alas).

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2015, 10:00:52 AM »
And a wet suit/dry suit can be a great investment if you live here. I know people who surf year round.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 01:55:02 PM »
And here you can go fishing and sailing year round.

Ice fishing and ice sailing, that is.    ;-)

Wet suits are also useful for snorkeling/SCUBA since it is chilly below the thermocline.

And a wet suit/dry suit can be a great investment if you live here. I know people who surf year round.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:10 PM »
I'm here! Meetup tomorrow at noon at the Estuary Center in Cowichwan Bay, right?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:29 PM »
Yay!! You made it! I'm catching an early morning ferry and will run a few errands in Victoria then I'll be Cowichan Bay bound!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2015, 07:05:39 AM »
Glad you made it!
Now on your way up island pls be aware all lookouts are on your rt side only.
The first lookout is at the top of the Malahat @352'.

The second is not much to see as the trees have grown but has solar bathrms. Right after the 2nd viewpt is the third and best view.

Pls stop here even if you are late to the meetup. It is worth it I promise.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
On my way!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »
What a great meet up!
 Thank you BYF, R@63, Redstone5 Family and Jon_Snow ! I had fun.
Even the smoking hot fish tacos....yummy!

Rah rah for the First Van Island  MMM meet in Cowichan Bay.

Take that Victoria Mustachians!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
I wrote a long reply on Tuesday on my tablet, thought it had posted,and it disappeared!  Now I'll try again and then only post when I have computer access. Typing anything long on the tablet is painful.

Debbie, just a bit of intra-island competition there?  ;-)

Great meet-up. I pulled into the parking lot and saw two women making the secret MMM signal. I immediately lifted my finger and returned the signal. Batman has nothing on us.  We had a great picnic, walked "downtown" Cowichan bay, and then Jon_Snow and I toured BackYardFeast's garden.  Great garden, and it made me realise that the different growing season here means my garden requirements when I move can be much smaller than originally planned.

More later. I am off to Gabriola Island.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:08 PM »
Thank you so much, everyone, for all the fun at the meet up. My family and I had a blast. We'll have to do it again some time.

P.S. I finally got my bike and took it for a spin. It felt great! I can't wait to start biking to work.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 07:56:19 PM »
Redstone5, you have a gorgeous family...and I enjoyed myself as well, even though as I am known to do, I mostly listened to the conversation in my stoic way. ;)

I absolutely loved the Duncan/Cowichan Bay area...it reminded me that there is so much more beauty beyond the forests and shores that I am familiar with. NOTE TO SELF: venture off my island more often...hopefully with my wife next time.

And backyardfeasts garden...what can I say? I can't stop thinking about many aspects of it - I fully intend to blatantly steal some ideas - though some of the watering system engineering is far beyond my skills...and those monstrously HUGE cabbages. I may have dreams about them. ;)

And if R@63 moves out here, I can only imagine what her garden could become - when R@63 and backyardfeast started into the real technical gardening lingo, I found myself nodding as if I knew what they were talking about. I didn't. :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 10:30:06 PM »
I really love imagining all of you together! I wasn't even there and it makes me so happy!

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2015, 10:37:13 AM »
Sorry to take so long to check in again--thanks to everyone who came out to my neck of the woods!  It was great to meet you all.  I hope those of us who live in the area can hook up again sometime (a mini meetup with debbie, Redstone, and me?), and Retired@63, I hope you'll keep us updated on where you felt at home, and where you end up.

Jon_Snow, you're making me blush. ;)  Take heart from the fact that you are farther ahead than I was just over 5 years ago... it will be amazing to look back on your property in a few years and see the transformation too!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2015, 01:53:16 PM »
I'll give a proper report when I am back home and on a keyboard. First impressions: not too far inland (Lake Cowichan and Tofino were visited, were gorgeous, but don't see myself there. Any place along the coast. I need forest more than ocean, but would like to live fairly close to a marina, I am more an on or in the water person, as opposed to a beach person. Gabriola was wonderful, and would be fine if not for needing a ferry.

Right now I am in Ladysmith, so big wave and hi to everyone  :-).  Off to Duncan and then the ferry. If I had known the drive from Tofino would go so fast I would have suggested a lunch meetup, but I lose my wifi when I leave this Tim's so no way to reach each other.

When I get home I will redouble my efforts at house selling. I will be back!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2015, 03:10:49 PM »
So glad that you seem to like the place that some of us are lucky enough to call home! And I do hope you come back on a more permanent basis.

As for the ferries...at least as a retiree I find that by avoiding the peak sailing times (Fridays, Sundays, long weekends, etc.) the annoyance factor can be lessened. I also find that because of the ferry required to get to my place, it sorts out the riff-raff that couldn't be bothered to try and decipher a ferry schedule. :)

Really hope you do come back R@63...then I can fulfill that promise I made that fell through in recent days. Any chance you will be here by the Summer of 2016?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2015, 09:59:21 AM »
I also find that because of the ferry required to get to my place, it sorts out the riff-raff that couldn't be bothered to try and decipher a ferry schedule. :)

...hey!!! who you callin' riff-raff?!?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
Well I guess I will also be riff-raff if I don't want to have to deal with the Gabriola Ferry!

BackYardFeast, did that broody hen ever hatch out those eggs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Return dates - January/February of 2016, exact time depends on when I visit my sister. If all goes well, moving date will depend on when I sell my house and when I find a suitable rental.

Have I mentioned how much this place calls to me? I guess it is my Bali-Hai.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2015, 03:15:48 PM »
Oh, yes, BackYardFeast's garden - if you guys ever move before I have settled, sell me your house, well, sell me your garden, the house just comes along  ;-)  Do you realize that I am on a full acre and can have 3 animals max, all of which are supposed to be "pets"?  This backyard chicken thing is totally not allowed here.  At least we can have clotheslines and compost bins.

Jon_Snow - "real technical gardening lingo" - um, what were we talking about?   Don't remember anything super technical, the closest was ways to stake tomatoes, maybe?  Hey, you were with two teachers who garden, perfect chance to ask questions, hits both aspects of our lives.

And backyardfeasts garden...what can I say? I can't stop thinking about many aspects of it - I fully intend to blatantly steal some ideas - though some of the watering system engineering is far beyond my skills...and those monstrously HUGE cabbages. I may have dreams about them. ;)

And if R@63 moves out here, I can only imagine what her garden could become - when R@63 and backyardfeast started into the real technical gardening lingo, I found myself nodding as if I knew what they were talking about. I didn't. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2015, 03:19:54 PM »
I actually managed two meet-ups, totoro and I had coffee and lunch just before I left.

What struck me about the meet-ups was that it was like getting together with old friends who hadn't seen each other for a while.  Lots of good, relaxed conversation over a wide range of topics.  People here at home were surprised that I met up with people I knew only through a forum, but it seemed so natural and worked out so well.

Of course now it is major catch-up, the garden has missed me  :-(

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2015, 03:35:52 PM »
R@63 - you need to remember that I am a complete gardening neophyte. What may seem like basic gardening chat to you and Backyardfeast might as well be Sumerian (was this even a language?) to me. ;)

I am going to try and conspire to get Backyardfeast and her hubby to my island before the summer is over - I feel I need some "onsite" gardening tips - and also I feel the need to repay their hospitality...and perhaps get some input on our future cabin building plans. A different set of eyes would be most welcome. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »
It is always fun to have another gardener over to look at your garden - a fresh viewpoint is wonderful.  We tend to forget just how new you are to gardening, because your gardens are doing so well  ;-)

Off to freeze snap peas  ;-)

R@63 - you need to remember that I am a complete gardening neophyte. What may seem like basic gardening chat to you and Backyardfeast might as well be Sumerian (was this even a language?) to me. ;)

I am going to try and conspire to get Backyardfeast and her hubby to my island before the summer is over - I feel I need some "onsite" gardening tips - and also I feel the need to repay their hospitality...and perhaps get some input on our future cabin building plans. A different set of eyes would be most welcome. :)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2015, 06:13:51 PM »
When you guys met up, did you stick with usernames or switch to real names? I would think it would be hard to remember which real name is which profile (for context/background/story). Is it? Or is that just my brain being difficult again?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2015, 07:35:11 PM »
Real names, although of course we are still using usernames when we post here.  We were 4 so not that hard to remember who is who.  In a big group it would probably be easier to stick to usernames.

When you guys met up, did you stick with usernames or switch to real names? I would think it would be hard to remember which real name is which profile (for context/background/story). Is it? Or is that just my brain being difficult again?

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
BackYardFeast, did that broody hen ever hatch out those eggs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sigh.  Sadly, it was a bit of a disaster, I suspect because of the heat wave.  One chick survived, but when we got home from being away this weekend, he/she was gone...mysteriously and very sadly.  Poor mama hen. :(  We will try again at some point this summer/fall.

That sounds like my favorite kind of visit, Jon_Snow--you're on! :)

Retired@63, I'll look forward to following your new thread and seeing where you end up!

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
I'm so bummed that I missed this, both your meetup and now finding MMM had a Victoria one...sigh

I made the move to Vancouver island coming up on 2yrs ago this December from the flat Prairies, with a lot of inspiration from MMM to make the move. We chose the quiet little seaside community of Chemainus (Cowichan Valley) because it is a small tight nit community we can walk everywhere and buy everything we need without driving. Heck we even opened up a small retail store here so locals to stay within their community and not leave.

This move was the first part of our phasing to a FI MMM lifestyle, we sold pretty much everything and re-established ourselves here. Ive done a lot of things but still so far to go to be living the the true MMM life. We have two stores back in SK that we are trying to sell and if that occurs hopefully puts our savings to the safe 4% level.

Vancouver Island changes you and couldn't be more happy about our relocation. I am more than happy to host a future meetup that has been suggested here for next year.

BackYard Feast , very nice to know you live in the beautiful secret gem of Canada , the Cowichan Valley

Jon Snow , we are looking at a smaller property on Thetis Island, would love to know how the "smaller" island life is treating you.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 09:42:09 AM by Stasher »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2017, 05:18:20 PM »
Note there will be another Victoria, BC area meet up on 24 Mar 2017. If you are interested see link below.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/victoria-bc-mega-magical-march-meet-up!/

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
Oh no, I'm not here that week to go to the meet-up :( 

I'm going to be away in Disneyland on the 24th, but I'm sorry to miss the meet-up. It was super fun last time. Maybe we can plan another for later in the summer as well?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2017, 09:48:35 AM »
Maybe we can plan another for later in the summer as well?

Definitely. I think a couple meet ups a year would make sense. If we can start doing them on a regular schedule it makes it easier for everyone to plan.