Author Topic: Victoria BC meetup end of June/beginning of July  (Read 18676 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Victoria BC meetup end of June/beginning of July
« on: May 01, 2015, 06:36:26 AM »
Moved over from "Thinking of Moving to Coastal BC" thread.

As Backyardfeast said, maybe it is time to think of a meetup?  I am looking at flying in the end of June to spend the first week of July exploring.

I just had a thought (it is about time) - Canada Day is in there.  Is that going to affect anything in a major way?  Obviously ferry schedules will be holiday schedules, and some stores will be closed, but other than that?  I would think it would not be a good day for the meetup since people will have their own plans.

Flight isn't booked yet, so I have a bit of leeway.  The earliest I can fly out is Monday June 29, and the latest I can fly back is Thursday July 9.  If I flew in the 29th, we could have the meetup on the 30th, and I can meet everyone and pick brains before I head out.  Then everyone goes off to do their own thing for Canada Day.  Does that timing work?

So looking forward to this.

scrubbyfish

Re: Victoria BC meetup end of June/beginning of July
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 06:56:48 AM »
Following, just in case. I have no preferences for dates. We've discussed that I suck at ferries, so I'll just see what happens :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 08:13:33 AM »
Scrubbyfish, you are on an island now, right?  I am seriously thinking of taking a day to just ferry around, see the sights, so we could maybe do a meetup along the way?  I do want to see places I could move to (I don't think I am a "small island person" at this point in my life) but I want to see the sights too.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
Scrubby is in the B.C. interior AFAIK...I'm the small island person. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
OK, I thought she was on an island because of the ferry comment.  I love ferries and water, and I have never (yet) been seasick, even on the ferry between North and South Island that had 3/4 of the passengers in dire straits (3 metre waves will do that).

You know I want to see your island and garden, right?????!!!!!????  And fish from the shore, maybe?  And meet the elusive Mrs. Snow and extol the wonders of retirement to her  ;-)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
OK, I thought she was on an island because of the ferry comment.  I love ferries and water, and I have never (yet) been seasick, even on the ferry between North and South Island that had 3/4 of the passengers in dire straits (3 metre waves will do that).

You know I want to see your island and garden, right?????!!!!!????  And fish from the shore, maybe?  And meet the elusive Mrs. Snow and extol the wonders of retirement to her  ;-)

Speaking of ferries and Victoria...I'm heading over there right now to do bit of shopping at a nursery in the Saanich area. I got sudden desire to try to grow hot peppers. Gotta go, my ride is here. ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:37:55 AM by Jon_Snow »

scrubbyfish

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »

I lived in Victoria for several years, and on a weird tiny island up by Nanaimo, and regularly visit the Sunshine Coast and Bowen... But live away from all that per my impatience/frustration with ferry travel :)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 04:07:25 PM »
I will be flying from Yellowknife to Calgary on July 1, then driving from Calgary to Gabriola around July 3, and stay there for a week or ten days maximum, mostly to  get the RV habitable, clean up some of the mess the previous owner left, and survey the site for a potential building site for our future tiny house. I don't plan to go anywhere except to Tofino for a day of surfing. Hopefully we can connect during my stay.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 04:33:53 AM »
Quick questions - if I fly out Monday June 29, I am assuming the meetup would be Tuesday June 30 - which is a work day. How does this affect the meet-up? (I haven't booked yet, so I could come the 30th instead and the meetup could be Canada Day, if that works better).
And, since I am 3 hours time difference, even if the plane looks like it gets in sort of early, it won't be early for me, so I plan to get a hotel close to the airport and crash, then get the car rental the next morning (even on Canada Day that should be OK at an airport) and be ready for adventure. Adventure where?  Where would we be meeting?
Time to haul out the AirMiles and start making arrangements.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
Reservations are made - I land about 10:30 the morning of June 29 (Monday), and leave the morning of July 9 (Thursday).  I have a car reserved, so I don't have to stay in a hotel close to the airport. I am, as they say, foot-loose and fancy-free.

So, those of you in the area, when and where would be a good time to meet? 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 04:34:55 PM »
I have lots of family related stuff revolving around the holiday weekend and avoiding the ferries around this time isn't a terrible idea anyway...July 6 - 8 would work best for me. I don't mind driving up island a bit if that's where a meetup occurs. I'm not extremely familiar with the big island, so hopefully V.I. locals can suggest some spots for a MMM pow-wow. :)

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:39 PM »
I won't be in the Nanaimo area until July 4-5 so I will miss the get-together, but hopefully I can still catch up with some of you if you are still around.

Phil

TrMama

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 05:08:42 PM »
Has anyone else noticed MMM may be in Victoria in Late July/Early August? Perhaps we could aim for a meetup during that time frame? http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups/

Since I'm not yet FI, or RE, any daytime weekday times are totally out for me.

RetiredAt63 - There's a private airport shuttle that may interest you. I'm sure you could get it to drop you off at any car rental place (presuming you don't just rent from the airport). I wouldn't stress about driving right after the flight. Victoria is, after all, on the tip of an island. Nothing is very far away and if you can get a car with GPS or use a GPS app on your phone, getting around by car is really easy. Also, coming from the airport into town in the afternoon, you'll be going against the normal commuter traffic. Easy peasy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:05 PM »
I just saw that MMM may be in Victoria late July - at which point I will be home again.  Oh well.  Sometime there will be an Ottawa meetup. 

My travel plans - plane tickets are bought, rental car is booked for the airport.  I get in early afternoon on June 29, leave the morning of July 9.  All else is open at this point - I'm open to suggestions for group meetups, plus will be PMing those who have said they will be in the general area at various times.

And I am coming via Vancouver (super short layover, basically walk from incoming gate to outgoing gate) so I will have a good view of the strait from a Bombardier Dash 8-300.  I like little planes for short flights, better views.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2015, 01:39:35 PM »
Hi all,

I would be up for a meet-up in the mid-island area in that first week of July; weekdays are fine with me if that's when Jon_Snow can make it over...
Maybe that's the way to go if the Victoria folks want to wait until MMM himself is in town?

Retiredat63, I'm happy to PM with you about specific plans for touring the area while you're around.  I would suggest (if you haven't already) getting on the accommodation booking pretty soon.  Victoria is a major summer tourist hub and prices are high and availability low this time of year.  You might actually be better off booking something in Sidney (close to the airport and ferries) rather than in Victoria over the long weekend itself.  Downtown Victoria usually does a pretty major do in the inner harbour for Canada Day, so you'll either want to plan to go and join the party and the crowds, or plan to be far away somewhere else! :)

I'll give some thought to a good meet-up spot; something on the ocean would be nice? :)  Nanaimo does have some great parks; Yellowpoint and Ladysmith do too.  The Crofton-Vesuvius ferry is pretty quiet if a day trip to Saltspring might be fun.  In my corner, there's Cherry Point beach, Cowichan Bay village is lovely but more limited for a picnic spot, but there are gorgeous parks on the rivers that might be ok.  Other thoughts?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
Looking forward to this...R@63, feel free to PM me with any details. Suddenly, a few family commitments have fallen through, so I have more options in terms of when I can leave my small island for the big one.

One more thing...this isn't gonna be a vegan-centric thing is it? :D

This will be my first meeting of Mustachians IRL...this is a pretty big deal. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 07:03:12 PM »
My first in real life too - and so far from home, exciting.

Food - I grew up in Montreal, good cuisine is an essential part of the good life.  People can eat whatever their hearts desire - I am low-carb by necessity, no grains, low sugar, but I eat dairy, so not Paleo.  Meat is good. So is fish.  So are vegetables and fruits.  And spices and herbs.
I also drink (so there can be wine/beer/hard cider/whatever).  But not when I am driving - I am old enough to remember a lot of drunk driving (not by me, fortunately) back in the day. 

One more thing...this isn't gonna be a vegan-centric thing is it? :D

This will be my first meeting of Mustachians IRL...this is a pretty big deal. :)

VanStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 03:29:55 AM »
From Vancouver, but wouldn't mind taking a ferry up there for a day or two. Please PM me with any other details.

Cheers

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »
Can we confirm a meetup date and location today?  I need to start booking places to stay since I am there during tourist season.  Earlier in my trip rather than later is good in that I can pick brains about the area.  Time of day - any time is a good time.

Speaking of hotel bookings - my Air Miles won't stretch far.  So Mustachian travel - I use my CC and get the points, or I ask if any Mustachians have a spare couch.  I am a good guest, I bring wine (or equivalent), I don't smoke, I don't get drunk, and the dog won't be with me  ;-)   (and no dog is major, you would not believe how much fur she sheds).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 07:03:10 AM by RetiredAt63 »

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »
HI
Long time lurker  in Duncan, looking forward to a meet !
I love Cherry Pt beach but poor parking and 0 facilities.
Duncan proper has Centennial Park at the end of First St.
Lots of parking,washrms, covered benches, picnic tables , kids play area.
Also close to downtown for food/coffee.
Date...weekday ? Tuesday June 30  1000......?
 I  will bring the mustache sign.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »
Hi Debbie

Sounds good.  Google Maps says 1 hour from the airport to Duncan, is this really true?

10 is easy for me since that is "really" 1 PM.  Others?  Good?  Later in the day?

trevmillion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Five Gallon Ideas
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 10:19:11 AM »
depending on the date you folks select I may show up myself. I spend time in the cowichan valley a week or so at a time, and we will be there once or twice this summer for sure. Dates are not confirmed but likely sometime during july. Flexible as I am "ERE"

I have access to a 3-person canoe and will probably be me and my dad coming. So room for 1 more I guess if we show up?

I also have 2 inflatable "tubes" for floating down the cowichan river. Best deal for getting those is Joe's Tire Hospital, if you didn't know already.

trevmillion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Five Gallon Ideas
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 10:33:26 AM »
Sounds good.  Google Maps says 1 hour from the airport to Duncan, is this really true?
Sounds about right to me, you might get that trip done quicker if you take the brentwood bay ferry though.

http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/bbmb-current.php

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 10:49:07 AM »
The Sidney airport to Duncan is 1.5 hrs for me and I drive FAST and I know where I am going so.......
 maybe we will make it for 1200 ?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »
Um, I learned to drive in Quebec?  But I do usually respect the speed limit these days, especially on unfamiliar roads.  Noon sounds good.

The Sidney airport to Duncan is 1.5 hrs for me and I drive FAST and I know where I am going so.......
 maybe we will make it for 1200 ?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
Nice canoe - I like canoes a lot more than kayaks, I know canoes, kayaks not so much. We used to have a nice one (stolen).  It was great for getting into places no other boat could go (up narrow streams, across beaver dams, things like that).  I've even used canoes for field sampling, although hauling an Eckman dredge over a gunnel is not fun.

depending on the date you folks select I may show up myself. I spend time in the cowichan valley a week or so at a time, and we will be there once or twice this summer for sure. Dates are not confirmed but likely sometime during july. Flexible as I am "ERE"

I have access to a 3-person canoe and will probably be me and my dad coming. So room for 1 more I guess if we show up?

I also have 2 inflatable "tubes" for floating down the cowichan river. Best deal for getting those is Joe's Tire Hospital, if you didn't know already.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »
Hi everyone,
Just checking in again--are we settled on time and location, then?  Centennial Park would be fine; it's central and reasonably convenient, although it might not be the most picturesque spot if we're trying to show off our area to Retiredat63. :)  Are we picnicking? Potlucking? 

If Trevor wants to come with his canoe, another good spot might be the small park at the kayak launch in Cowichan Bay village?  There is parking close by (Hecate park), washrooms in the village, and a small, funky village to explore, including the free maritime museum, and of course, the beautiful ocean setting.  It's about 10 mins south of Duncan, but of course, not walking distance.

Hecate Park (which has the parking lot and the Estuary Nature centre):

http://www.cvrd.bc.ca/index.aspx?NID=152

Gateway Park (just down a short path from the centre, and which has the picnic tables, etc) Pictures don't really show the park itself, sadly!

http://www.cvrd.bc.ca/index.aspx?NID=1829

OP, have you got a preference?  Would you rather do scenic, out of the way?  Or something where you can get a sense of Duncan as a community that you might want to explore as a place to live?  It is a great town, and one of the more affordable communities in the area...Centennial is also much bigger if there are lots of us or people want to play soccer/frisbee, etc.  But it looks like we might be half a dozen or so?  So that might not be an issue.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2015, 10:04:14 AM »
I will have a car, so I am open to wherever looks best for people there.  I have 8 whole days, so I can easily spend the whole afternoon there if people need to come at different times.

Um, I am 64 (yes, there has been a birthday since I chose my user name) and my knees are not the greatest, so although canoeing is fine, I don't think I will be running around playing soccer.  My frisbee playing is limited to throwing a soft one for the dog, so I am not good at catching them, I am more used to wrestling for it - the dog thinks tug of war with a frisbee is a good game.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
So, the 30th of June then? Bit of a bummer for me since I will be at the Imagine Dragons concert in Vancouver that night. :(

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
@Jon_snow,  Oh dear!  We may not be settled--if OP arrives on the Monday to Victoria, and you can't make Tuesday, what day might work for you?  Would be a shame to have you so close and not able to make it...especially if a garden tour spontaneously occurs after the picnic... ;)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »
Please don't reorganize things on my account! As one of my favourite (and geeky) movie quotes says: The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one. :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2015, 03:23:58 PM »
Could someone PM me the details of the Duncan meetup? I'm coming now...the concert I am going to is JULY 30 not June 30...so I will be coming, with a kayak or two in tow. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 06:53:28 PM »
Bump.

I have my schedule, hotels all booked - whew.  June 29, arrive about noon and play tourist in the Sidney area.  June 30 in Duncan, drive that evening to Nanaimo, July 1-July 4 in the Nanaimo area, then I play tourist, Tofino and things like that.  A friend of mine grew up on Vancouver Island, so she is giving me a list of places to see.  Back in the Sidney area for more touristing on July 8, fly home July 9.
So anyone in the larger Nanaimo area up for coffee while I am there?  Anyone want to get together the first afternoon or last day as well as/instead of the meetup in Duncan?

BackYardFeast, noon in Duncan, any idea where?  We can always move around but where shall we start?

PS did you know that spell check thinks "Nanaimo" should be "unanimous"?

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
Yay!  Jon_Snow, so glad you can make it after all, and Retired, that sounds like a great itinerary.

As you're coming up from Victoria and heading into Duncan, and as Jon_Snow wants to bring his kayak(s), let go ahead and meet in Cowichan Bay, at the park I linked to earlier.  If you like, we can meet at the Estuary Nature Centre building as an easy landmark, then move to the park/picnic tables a few yards away.  Anyone interested can then head into Duncan to show you around (about 10 mins farther up the highway).

So--for everyone who wants to join us (at the moment it looks like we'll be 5-6?):

Coming from Victoria: take Hwy 1 up island and turn right off the highway onto Cowichan Bay Road, one intersection past Fisher Road, where there's a big Rona.  Follow Cowichan Bay Road all the way into Cowichan Bay village and continue past the businesses and homes.  You'll see the sign for Hecate park, with the parking lot on your right.  Park, and join us in front of the Nature Centre at the north end of the parking lot.

Coming from Duncan, head left off the highway at Koksilah Rd, then turn left again at the intersection onto Cowichan Bay Road (at the Trading Post).  Continue as above.  If you know the area, it's slightly faster to take the Bench Rd turn off and then head right onto Cowichan Bay road at the bottom of the hill.

Noon for a potluck picnic?  Village, backyardfeast homestead, and Duncan tour could all follow as desired. :)  Debbie, if you're still coming, do bring the mustache sign!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2015, 03:17:12 PM »
Wow, that sounds real good backyardfeast!

I'm almost tempted to get a hotel room for the night of the 30th...so that I don't have to stress about leaving to catch my ferry back to my island - and the ferries will be NUTTY on the eve of a long weekend. And this would allow me to perhaps get my kayak in the water sometime, somewhere on July 1st - I doubt I will have much time to paddle on the 30th...I'm more interested in meeting Mustachians that day anyway! :)

I'm coming solo too - wife will be on road trip with some girlfriends...uh, I wasn't interested in that, although I got a token invite. ;)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2015, 06:13:32 PM »
We have a plan!

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2015, 07:43:52 PM »
I ll be there Tues June 30...1200!
I ll bring the sign and my own food as I am a FODMAP responder!

Looking forward to meeting my tribe.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
Great!  I wondered about the potluck part, given many peoples varied preferences/needs.  We can just make this a standard picnic, if you like; bring what you want to eat and something to share if it's easy.  So I might bring myself a sandwich, and then some extra garden veggies to share.

Look forward to meeting everyone!  Jon_Snow, there are a couple of accom options in Cow Bay itself, where the kayaking is awesome....Maple Bay is also a good jumping off-point if there are better options to stay in Duncan.

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2015, 12:05:25 PM »
I'd love to join the meet-up as well on June 30 at noon. Can someone please confirm the location to me again? I'm coming from Victoria. Is it Hecate Park at the nature centre in Cowichan?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »
Damn...this reminds me that I still need to book a place to stay for the evening of the 30th. Left a message with a B&B in Cowichan Bay but they didn't bother getting back to me. :(

Rooms are gonna fill up fast, gotta get on this....

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2015, 01:25:55 PM »
In Nanaimo, the Nicol Street Hostel is charming and nice, not to mention cheap and centrally located. A bed in a dorm is $25. They also have a private cottage for $50 but it is usually booked solid. Great location, access to kitchen facilities, interesting folks.

backyardfeast

• Pencil Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2015, 08:31:34 PM »
I'd love to join the meet-up as well on June 30 at noon. Can someone please confirm the location to me again? I'm coming from Victoria. Is it Hecate Park at the nature centre in Cowichan?

Hi Redstone5, yes that's right.  PM me if you have any questions, otherwise, glad you can join us!

Jon_Snow, you're probably looking for something a little cheaper if you can, but the Wessex Motel across the street from the park and the kayak launch seems clean but not fancy, has kitchenettes and likely vacancies.  Haven't stayed there, but may be worth a look.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 05:39:55 AM »
Wheee.  In exactly 2 weeks from now I will be sitting in a plane, heading west!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 10:05:53 AM »
I think you are really going to like it out here. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
I'm sure I will.  But you know, every part of Canada is wonderful in summer.  The real test is February ;-)

I think you are really going to like it out here. :)

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2015, 06:19:06 AM »
@ R@63.......the real test is November. Jan -Oct is awesome.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:02 AM »
Oh, November.  Forget April as the cruelest month, November takes the prize.  Cold, wet, dreary, brown dead fields and lawns and gardens, too cold to be happy outside, not cold enough for snow and crisp air and clear skies.  Ugh.  November is a month to get through - or run away from  ;-)

Is any place in Canada nice in November?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2015, 08:27:28 AM »
I plan on being in the Baja for the entirety of November, so I'll be thinking about all you poor souls stuck up here in November. ;)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »

My house :)     My house every day, in every season! But I love every kind of weather, and moved to snow on purpose! I get sad if I get stuck in places like Baja during my beautiful snow opportunities!

Redstone5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2015, 09:34:10 AM »

My house :)     My house every day, in every season! But I love every kind of weather, and moved to snow on purpose! I get sad if I get stuck in places like Baja during my beautiful snow opportunities!
Vancouver Island can be great in the winter if you like storm season (like Tofino in November). All that rain is a great excuse for staying inside with a cup of hot chocolate and a book.