Author Topic: Vancouver/Seattle Camping Meetup June 9/10, 2018 (Bellingham, Washington)  (Read 16806 times)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Re: Vancouver/Seattle Camping Meetup June 9/10, 2018 (Bellingham, Washington)
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 10:04:35 PM »
Surprised at all the interest in cabins and catered meals... I bet some of you aren't even retired.

The cabins could actually be cheaper than tent camping, depending how many people you split it between. They hold 10-20 people and rent for $175-$225/night.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
  • Bot - Do Not Reply
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2017, 10:33:31 PM »
Put us (2 adults) down as interested. We have our own camping gear but open to splitting a cabin if it makes sense.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2017, 10:51:55 PM »
Put us (2 adults) down as interested. We have our own camping gear but open to splitting a cabin if it makes sense.

Done, I've added you to the maybe contingent.  If you are more committed just let me know. 
On dating endlessly: ďEverything will be alright in the end! If itís not alright, itís not the end!Ē

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

Journal: I Found Happiness!  Now What?!

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
I am a strong maybe.  If I drive, I will sleep in my truck/camper.  If I fly, I'll probably want a cabin, as I won't want to bring all my camping gear.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
I am a strong maybe.  If I drive, I will sleep in my truck/camper.  If I fly, I'll probably want a cabin, as I won't want to bring all my camping gear.

I put you down as one.  Let me know if that's incorrect.
On dating endlessly: ďEverything will be alright in the end! If itís not alright, itís not the end!Ē

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2017, 07:48:25 AM »
Sorry--yes, just one.

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2017, 02:21:30 PM »
I'm in! (2 adults, 1 child)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2017, 02:23:13 PM »
I'm in! (2 adults, 1 child)

Great!  Added to the yes for camping.

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
I'm a maybe - won't know work travel schedule until a few months out. :S

We have a van with a bed in the back so can camp anywhere there's a drive-in spot. Also have a canoe which I'd be happy to share when not in use.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »

We have a van with a bed in the back so can camp anywhere there's a drive-in spot. Also have a canoe which I'd be happy to share when not in use.

How many campers?  The canoe would be a great addition and thatís near the longest days of the year so a lot of time to explore and enjoy.

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2017, 03:48:02 PM »

How many campers?  The canoe would be a great addition and thatís near the longest days of the year so a lot of time to explore and enjoy.

There's two of us plus a rambunctious (but very, very friendly pup). Yes, the canoe was a pre-Mustachian choice (it was offensively expensive) BUT I'm planning to use it for the next 50+ years so am justifying it that way. (And I paid for it when I sold our second car!)

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »
I'm interested but can't commit to anything this far in advance. :) Posting to follow...

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
I'm interested but can't commit to anything this far in advance. :) Posting to follow...

I'll add you to the maybe list. 

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2017, 07:45:24 AM »
Update

I checked in with the manager of the facility and there is no need to book the group campsite just yet.  I will check in again at the end of this month as Zikoris suggested.  The other possibility I'm considering is doing the same thing that folks in Moab have done and just book a single site and have others do the same.  The sites themselves are similar prices to State Parks so it's not a high cost to reserve (25% non refundable).  On the other hand at $250/night for the group site I don't particularly want to book it and get stuck with the costs if we don't get enough interest.  At this point I feel we have enough interest for sure to hold the event but maybe not on a 50 person site. 

For those considering cabins feel free to message the manager.  She seems to respond the same day with helpful information.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2017, 08:47:03 PM »
Put us down also as two interested! When will we need to confirm?

Seattle Carter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »
We are a family of 4 and would like to come!  Preference is to tent camp.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2018, 09:19:56 PM »
We are a family of 4 and would like to come!  Preference is to tent camp.

As in you are a `yes`?

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2018, 09:16:57 PM »
Update

At this point we do not have enough people who are committed to go for the group site.  I am checking on the availability for the individual sites and then I will likely book at site and report the location.  And then people can then join together and book sites on their own reservation.  This is how it's being done for the Moab trip and it seems to work well. 

Will report back soon when I hear back from the campground manager.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
That sounds great! Right now we are becoming a more definite maybe.
Thanks for putting the time into organising this!
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Mr. Spock

Trial FIRE blog: http://thefrugalhumanist.com

Save money on pet food: http://pennywisepaws.com

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 09:17:42 PM »
Game On!

Today I booked the first campsite (#8) that I will share with @Retire-Canada.  The campsites cost $35/night and we are reserved for Friday June 8th & Saturday June 9th.  I did not check on the checkout time for Sunday but I'm guessing they will be fairly lenient to hang around for most of the day Sunday if you want. 

^here is a map of the campground.  Our group name is "Mr Money Mustache" when you reserve.  You won't get a discount but it will help the campground manager organize us in close proximity.  That being said, there are only 20 sites so you will never be far away. 

Here are some questions I asked Laura about the campground:

Are any sites currently reserved? 

There are 20 campsites currently available in the Main Campground

What's the deposit required now for the 2 nights?  What are the payment methods? 

The deposit is $15 for two nights.  I can process credit card payments over the phone, and we also accept cash and checks.

If we got enough people could we move our reservations over to the group site? 

As long as the group site is still available, you can move  your reservation

How many tents/people/cars per campsite? 

Six people, two tents or one tent and one RV, maximum two cars per individual campsite in the Main Campground.

It's simple to reserve a site.  Just call Laura and provide you credit card information.  We would need to have a number of sites book for it to be cheaper to use the group campground.  The group campground is $250/night. 

I've never been to the campground but I've done enough research to think this place will be fantastic.  She says it feels like you are away from everything.  If you have any questions feel free to post them but if they are specific to camping, ask Laura.

Here is Laura's contact information:

Laura Ensch
Office Manager
Lutherwood Camp & Retreat Center
www.camplutherwood.org
office - 360 734 7652
fax - 360-734-7682

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 12:59:40 PM »
Cool! Do you know where the cabins fit onto that map? Are they pretty close to the campsites?
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 02:56:02 PM »
Cool! Do you know where the cabins fit onto that map? Are they pretty close to the campsites?

Hey @Zikoris I don't know but I gather the whole place isn't too big.  Given they only have 20 campsites I imagine the cabins are only a stones throw away.  Best to contact Laura with the technical questions.  She has an email attached above and she's very nice on the phone too. 

Excited to have you confirmed.  Please update when you move forward.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »

Hey @Zikoris I don't know but I gather the whole place isn't too big.  Given they only have 20 campsites I imagine the cabins are only a stones throw away.  Best to contact Laura with the technical questions.  She has an email attached above and she's very nice on the phone too. 

I emailed her with a few questions, thanks. Ideally we could just do a deposit for now since we don't know how many people we'll be splitting with, but I can pay the whole thing upfront too in a pinch.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »

I emailed her with a few questions, thanks. Ideally we could just do a deposit for now since we don't know how many people we'll be splitting with, but I can pay the whole thing upfront too in a pinch.

I'm prepared to put in some $ now for deposit to hold the lodge. But I have one or two questions too. I can reach out to you via pm.
Ask me about my puppy pics!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 07:06:10 PM »
Update: I put in a request to book the Spirit Lodge (henceforth the Zikoris Lodge). Here are some of the details.

There's an upstairs sleeping loft with a bathroom, and the main floor has nine beds and a bathroom. We're (i.e. me and boyfriend) taking the loft, but the rest is up for grabs. It's $175/night USD for the whole place, which I figured we'd just split evenly by the number of people. There's a full kitchen. You need to bring your own bedding and towels. We're pretty chill, but please no really stinky cooking or late night racket (boyfriend is a light sleeper).

So far two friends from the local MMM club have grabbed spots, so there are currently seven beds remaining.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 08:52:10 PM »
@Zikoris could you post this as an event on the Vancouver MMM meetup page?

That place sounds fantastic!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2018, 11:01:00 AM »

Will do! I'll post it up tonight. Just working on finalizing my lodge booking. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with both lodges by the end - there's been a LOT of interest here and on Facebook so far.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »

Will do! I'll post it up tonight. Just working on finalizing my lodge booking. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with both lodges by the end - there's been a LOT of interest here and on Facebook so far.

Oh wow, thatís exciting!  Perhaps you can help me by taking some leadership on local stuff to do.  I will be mountain biking so I wonít be able to lead any hikes likely.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:03 PM »

Oh wow, thatís exciting!  Perhaps you can help me by taking some leadership on local stuff to do.  I will be mountain biking so I wonít be able to lead any hikes likely.

Yeah, hiking and sightseeing is my forte for sure - I am definitely NOT a mountain biker! I'll have a look at what sort of hikes are available in the area.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2018, 12:56:54 PM »
@Zikoris there is loads of hiking in the area!  Iíve done some hiking by Larabee State Park that was great but there may be hiking closer to the facility.  Should be a blast planning - thanks!

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
I'm definitely in as well for the meetup as another part of the lodge crew.

Still a TBD for me if I'll have the pup-in-training with me for part of the weekend or not, so my activities may be influenced by that.

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, hiking, and maybe playing some games.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
Okay, the Zikoris Lodge is booked and filling up fast! There are 11 sleeping spots, and so far we have:

Me and boyfriend
FIfofum
FiveSigmas
Four people from the Facebook group

They confirmed that the Lakeview lodge is still available as well, if anyone wants to start a Lodge 2.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:17:09 PM by Zikoris »

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2018, 01:39:23 PM »
Okay, the Zikoris Lodge is booked and filling up fast! There are 11 sleeping spots, and so far we have:

Me and boyfriend
FIfofum
Four people from the Facebook group

They confirmed that the Lakeview lodge is still available as well, if anyone wants to start a Lodge 2.

This is great!  Thanks for posting to the Meetup group! 

katscratch

• Pencil Stache
    • Freedom From Scratch
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2018, 02:10:28 PM »
I'm still waiting to find out if I can take time off during my colleague's maternity leave :/

I love hiking/biking that area SO MUCH and chatting with MMMers around a fire would be such amazing gravy to the days!
"Life is easy when you have your wants and needs in check and you occupy your time with an outdoor activity to keep yourself well distracted." --Stasher

Forum journal https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/in-which-kat-decided-to-get-her-shit-together

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39:13 PM »
I don't think this has been posted on the Washington Mustachians facebook group. There are quite a few people on that fb group who aren't on the forums at all, and the Seattle contingent has a lot of newer people gathering for monthly meet-ups now.

I'd be happy to post it there too. PM me if you already have info/post used on fb already to share, so I don't have to create a new one. Thanks!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 06:49:21 PM »
Posted to the Meetup group as well! Here's the link: https://www.meetup.com/Money-Mustache-Meetup-Vancouver/events/246764697/

Let me know if there's anything you think I should add. I didn't mention my lodge spots since they're almost all gone now anyways (3 left).

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2018, 07:28:59 PM »
Posted to the Meetup group as well! Here's the link: https://www.meetup.com/Money-Mustache-Meetup-Vancouver/events/246764697/

Let me know if there's anything you think I should add. I didn't mention my lodge spots since they're almost all gone now anyways (3 left).

I think itís perfect!  Thank you

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »
I am reserved for a tenting site for Friday / Saturday nights, and I have a lot of extra room,  if you want to share and split costs.  I can even bring a extra tent and thick camp pads or a cot for you, as I have extra.

I will be hiking or paddling and of course, meeting all of you.

This sounds great!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »
I may well be in the general area on the Thurs and Fri before the event since I am not working those days and if I pay the ferry I might as well get more riding in. Not sure what my exact plans are, but if there are folks that want to meet up....particularly if you want to ride mountain bikes! Let's chat. :)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2018, 07:26:44 PM »
I am reserved for a tenting site for Friday / Saturday nights, and I have a lot of extra room,  if you want to share and split costs.  I can even bring a extra tent and thick camp pads or a cot for you, as I have extra.

I will be hiking or paddling and of course, meeting all of you.

This sounds great!

This great @Goldielocks!  How many in your group? And which site did you book?  I've updated the records up top at the start of the thread. 

Exciting to continue to add people!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 07:38:13 PM by FIRE_at_45 »

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2018, 07:35:05 PM »
Just me for now...   I hope to drag DH but dont know yet.

Okoboji

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
Hi Mustachians/possible participants of the MMM Meetup Vancouver/Seattle June 9/10 2018 - Bellingham. Although I am fairly new to the Mr. Money Mustache blog, I have been F.I.R.E. since my mid-thirties (which was a long time ago). My partner & I have lived in Bellingham for almost 15 years so please use me as a resource if you have any questions about the area for the upcoming event (or otherwise). Although I have not stayed at Camp Lutherwood, I have spent lots of time hiking, biking & boating in this region over the years. Thanks, Scott
Scott

v8rx7guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2018, 04:25:28 PM »
Interesting.  Another fellow Bellinghamster here

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2018, 04:45:48 PM »
Hi Mustachians/possible participants of the MMM Meetup Vancouver/Seattle June 9/10 2018 - Bellingham. Although I am fairly new to the Mr. Money Mustache blog, I have been F.I.R.E. since my mid-thirties (which was a long time ago). My partner & I have lived in Bellingham for almost 15 years so please use me as a resource if you have any questions about the area for the upcoming event (or otherwise). Although I have not stayed at Camp Lutherwood, I have spent lots of time hiking, biking & boating in this region over the years. Thanks, Scott

Thanks for posting Scott!  Hope some take you up on your offer.  I am planning to mountain bike and hopefully utilize the lake for some paddling.  Iíve also hiked around Larabee and can attest that it is fantastic!

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: February 08, 2018, 10:31:04 AM »

Goldielocks, if you have space for another tent at your site, I'd love to request some space to share! I will bring my own tent. I would say I am 80% in at this point, but happy to throw down some $ to reserve a spot if need be. It will most likely be just me, but it could be two of us. Thanks!!

Scott, given your user name, are you from Okoboji?! I have a dear friend from there who recently moved back and have visited several times. Fun!

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
@cheddarpie I've updated your status to 80% and you can work directly with @Goldielocks on site availability.  Thanks!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2018, 10:00:07 PM »

Goldielocks, if you have space for another tent at your site, I'd love to request some space to share! I will bring my own tent. I would say I am 80% in at this point, but happy to throw down some $ to reserve a spot if need be. It will most likely be just me, but it could be two of us. Thanks!!

I already have a deposit down for Friday and Sat night, so nothing more needed until final payment when we get there.   I will hold a spot for you to confirm through May 9th, 2018.

I am looking forward to meeting you and many others, in person.
GL

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Is there room for one more person? I'm 90% sure I'll be able to make it. Hope there's still a chance to join!

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Is there room for one more person? I'm 90% sure I'll be able to make it. Hope there's still a chance to join!

Yes, shouldnít be a problem.  Contact the campground and reserve a site.  All the info is above ;)

v8rx7guy

• Pencil Stache
Could we get added as a "maybe"?  4 total, we'd bring our tent trailer for camping... sounds like it would fit in one of the spots?