Author Topic: Vancouver/Seattle Camping Meetup June 9/10, 2018 (Bellingham, Washington)  (Read 20890 times)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
hmmmhmm 

It is only $35 if you share a site, and we get access to their outdoor amenities (lakeshore, etc), and the camp it runs from is a charity that provides summer camp experiences to kids with limited income means (as well as to typical families).

Would it help if you thought of it as helping a charity?
Hehe okay, you've convinced us, we're in!

Good call, it will be more fun to be at the campground.  How many in your group?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
6 total per site with 1 RV and 1 tent or 2 tents.

Thanks!

Anyone (single or a couple) tenting want to split a site?
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Good call, it will be more fun to be at the campground.  How many in your group?
There's two of us. We'll be camping in our converted cargo van most likely, I hope that works?

Sorry if this has been detailed before in the thread, it's a bit hard for us to follow everything, but how is booking, payment, etc handled? Do we need to call the place to make the reservations ourselves? If so, what do we say so we get to share a site with the rest of you etc?

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
There's two of us. We'll be camping in our converted cargo van most likely, I hope that works?

Sorry if this has been detailed before in the thread, it's a bit hard for us to follow everything, but how is booking, payment, etc handled? Do we need to call the place to make the reservations ourselves? If so, what do we say so we get to share a site with the rest of you etc?

Check post 69 for the instructions.

You and @arebelspy may be able to occupy a spot together but the manager will be able to confirm.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
You can directly link posts by right clicking the title of a post (right above the date/timestamp of when it was posted) and hitting "copy link".
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
You and @arebelspy may be able to occupy a spot together but the manager will be able to confirm.
Sounds good to us, as long as the manager is fine with an RV and a cargo van in one spot. Shouldn't be an issue though, our van is really small--just a bit bigger than a minivan. @arebelspy how does that sound to you?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Worka for me!

Our RV is on the smaller side, too. 21.5'.

You want to call and book it, or should I?

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
You can directly link posts by right clicking the title of a post (right above the date/timestamp of when it was posted) and hitting "copy link".

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/vancouverseattle-camping-meetup-june-910-2018-(bellingham-washington)/msg1848072/#msg1848072

^old dog learns new trick ;)  Here's the link with the campground details.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at organizing a day hike to Fragrance Lake, in Larrabee State Park on Saturday June 9, 2018.

June 9 is National Get Outdoors Day, and the parking is free at WA State parks for that day.
We would want to arrive early.  It is a shoulder season hiking trail and gets quite busy.  I can imagine that Free pass day is even busier.

If you would like to join, we will arrange logistics Friday night.

Please plan to bring a packed lunch for the hike, and good hiking shoes.

Details:

4.5 miles, 1100 ft, with options to extend to 8.4 mi and 1,300 ft of elevation gain with additional view points and Lost Lake.

20 minute drive from the camp

LINK
https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/washington/fragrance-lake-trail

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
For anyone in Team Cabin, does anyone have spare bedding/blankets/pillows they don't mind sharing? It would be nice to have a bit of extra on hand in case anyone forgets to bring it, or it turns out to be pretty cold at night. The lodge has mattresses, so you don't need an air mattress or sleeping pad or anything, just the bedding. I have a spare sleeping bag I can bring down if anyone needs it.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at organizing a day hike to Fragrance Lake, in Larrabee State Park on Saturday June 9, 2018.

June 9 is National Get Outdoors Day, and the parking is free at WA State parks for that day.
We would want to arrive early.  It is a shoulder season hiking trail and gets quite busy.  I can imagine that Free pass day is even busier.

Details:

4.5 miles, 1100 ft, with options to extend to 8.4 mi and 1,300 ft of elevation gain with additional view points and Lost Lake.

LINK

Thanks for stepping up to organize this @Goldielocks! Iíve hiked at Larabee and itís great.

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
Thanks Goldie. I'm definitely up for the hike.

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Worka for me!

Our RV is on the smaller side, too. 21.5'.

You want to call and book it, or should I?
Having a really busy day at work today (sometimes I really long for the day we hit FI), but I could call tomorrow if you want.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
I am going to book on my lunch break... this sounds like too much fun in my neck of the woods to miss out on.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I am going to book on my lunch break... this sounds like too much fun in my neck of the woods to miss out on.

Thatís awesome!  Looking forward to chilling out by a campfire. 

FreelanceToFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
@Goldielocks I'm in for a hike! I'm actually not able to camp that weekend but I live in Bellingham so I would definitely be down to meet up and go hiking. Larabee is beautiful. More info on the Fragrance Lake trail here:

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/fragrance-lake

And you're right, it will be crazy busy so I'd say try to get there as early as possible (by 8-9 am I'd say)

Hi Everyone,

Details:

LINK

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
We are booked.  I got site #19 but I am considering asking her to change now that I see the map.  I would like to be more central.  We are local so if anyone needs something we may be able to help!

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
@arebelspy, I called and booked for both nights today. We got campsite #11 and they said your RV and our cargo van should be fine, so we should be all set!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 02:44:27 PM by bandk »

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
@arabelspy, I called and booked for both nights today. We got campsite #11 and they said your RV and our cargo van should be fine, so we should be all set!

@arebelspy

"A rebel Spy" ;)

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
@arabelspy, I called and booked for both nights today. We got campsite #11 and they said your RV and our cargo van should be fine, so we should be all set!

@arebelspy

"A rebel Spy" ;)
Oops, fixed. I actually knew that, but still I got it wrong Į\_(ツ)_/Į

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
@arebelspy, I called and booked for both nights today. We got campsite #11 and they said your RV and our cargo van should be fine, so we should be all set!
Awesome, thanks!  You prefer PayPal, or cash?

Shockers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Put me down for a definite maybe please

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Awesome, thanks!  You prefer PayPal, or cash?
They didn't actually charge a deposit; said  our group was getting big enough they didn't need to. I guess we'll just pay everything when we get there.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
Did we ever figure out where the cabin is in relation to the campsites?  I look at the campground on google earth and I can't really distinguish where the sites / cabin are.  I'd like to choose a campsite that is close to everyone if possible.

PNW Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am trying to convince my husband and daughter to go. I am looking for one last (inexpensive) hurrah before going back to work. I wanted to go by myself but Hubby wasn't super thrilled about the idea... "are you joining a cult?" (he is currently watching the Netflix documentary Wild Wild Country). I assured him MMM is a fake cult;-)

We have a 10 year old daughter, so I will try to grab a sight close to the "kids section". I have a call in to Laura and will keep you posted. I need to find out if we can bring our dog (chiweenie).

Rain in the forecast would probably move us to a no, so fingers crossed.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Did we ever figure out where the cabin is in relation to the campsites?  I look at the campground on google earth and I can't really distinguish where the sites / cabin are.  I'd like to choose a campsite that is close to everyone if possible.

With the limited number of sites I imagine it isnít far but Laura could answer that question.  Unfortunately Iím going in blind as Iíve never been.

Salamander Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
For anyone in Team Cabin, does anyone have spare bedding/blankets/pillows they don't mind sharing? It would be nice to have a bit of extra on hand in case anyone forgets to bring it, or it turns out to be pretty cold at night. The lodge has mattresses, so you don't need an air mattress or sleeping pad or anything, just the bedding. I have a spare sleeping bag I can bring down if anyone needs it.

We can bring some extra bedding/blankets/pillows with us!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache

When I talked with Laura, she said that there were few (if any) others booking in that early in June, and was putting us all together.  Just say that you want to be with the others in your group for the weekend.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
So to be clear, this is a Saturday/Sunday night? Not Fri/Sat night?

June 9/10?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian

June 9/10?

It's Friday night (8th), Saturday night (9th), hang out Sunday until we have to leave.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I am trying to convince my husband and daughter to go. I am looking for one last (inexpensive) hurrah before going back to work. I wanted to go by myself but Hubby wasn't super thrilled about the idea... "are you joining a cult?" (he is currently watching the Netflix documentary Wild Wild Country). I assured him MMM is a fake cult;-)

Wait, this is not a cult?  I should remove my application ;)

Seriously, hope you can join.  Just like minded people having fun in a great setting.  ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

June 9/10?

It's Friday night (8th), Saturday night (9th), hang out Sunday until we have to leave.

Okay, that's what I thought would make the most sense, the thread title had me confused. :)

What time are people showing up on Friday?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian

June 9/10?

Okay, that's what I thought would make the most sense, the thread title had me confused. :)

What time are people showing up on Friday?

Check-in is at 3 PM or later, so we're going to try to be there around then, though we do have to cross an international border. I imagine some people will be coming after work as well and get there a bit later. We will likely hang out at the lodge until the cabin crew are all there, then wander over to the campground to see what's going on.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache

June 9/10?

Yes, @Zikoris clarified things (thanks).  I will be arriving sometime during the day on Friday and staying for Friday and Saturday nights.

biomedgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi everyone,

I just booked a campsite, bringing the total to 10 sites for the group. Laura suggests bringing firewood since they are running low at the moment.

I'm 31/M coming from Seattle and will be camping with my small dog (chihuahua mix) and am open to sharing with another tent or RV. I just joined the forums but have been following the blog for many years.

Look forward to meeting you all!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I'm happy to chip in $5 for firewood if someone can bring some!

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache

I do not have firewood and I do not think we can bring it over the border regardless.  Does anyone local have a line on sufficient supply for 2 nightís campfires?

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
Here's a little update on where our group is being clustered (from Lauren):

"I reassigned you to campsite #12.  The group is in campsites 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17.  Going around that curve is the best to be close together. "

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 03:34:05 PM by v8rx7guy »

PNW Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just grabbed site #6 - tbd whether DH/DD/dog will be joining me. I will try to get my hands on a bundle of firewood, but not sure if it will be enough for both nights.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
It was really bugging me that I couldn't figure out where the group campground was on the map, but I think I've finally figured it out.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian

I do not have firewood and I do not think we can bring it over the border regardless.  Does anyone local have a line on sufficient supply for 2 night’s campfires?

If someone can suggest a good place for firewood, I can try to get some. Does Costco carry it? How much is needed for two nights?

Is someone bringing name tags?

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
I can get 5 bundles of firewood for $20 here locally.  That should be more than enough?  If be happy to bring that.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
I can get 5 bundles of firewood for $20 here locally.  That should be more than enough?  If be happy to bring that.
Nice! And if it's local, we can grab more if we run out (or are running low after one night). :)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache

This is great!  Everyone can chip in a few bucks.  @Goldielocks is going to confirm that we can get the shared fire pit area.

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache

This is great!  Everyone can chip in a few bucks.  @Goldielocks is going to confirm that we can get the shared fire pit area.

Yes, you all can figure on me bringing more than enough fire wood.  I don't need to be reimbursed, I am just excited that the Mustachians are visiting my stomping grounds!  Whatever we don't need, I'll take home and use on my camping trips later in the year.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to back out/cancel on going. :(

I just returned home from an unexpected week abroad dealing with a personal tragedy. Everything in my calendar is a bit of a mess now. I'll likely need to juggle my obligations at home that weekend and not be available to go on the trip. I'm hoping I can maybe do a day trip up, at least. Not sure right now.

I've already confirmed and paid for my spot in the Zikoris lodge. If anyone wants to take it/pay or has asked to waitlist to the lodge, please let me or Zikoris know.

PNW Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any Portland ladies looking to catch a ride up for camping? My family is on the fence, so there is a chance I will be driving solo with extra seats available. No guarantee quite yet, but just putting feelers out there.

It sounds like each site comfortably fits two tents, so I also have space for anyone interested in splitting the cost of site #6 (would be $35 total for both nights). Let me know...

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I'm so happy to see how this event is growing organically because frankly I haven't had much time to spend drumming up interest.  But then again how much do you have to promote spending a weekend in the woods with like minded folks!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I don't think it is necessary @arebelspy .  We will all know the one celebrity and I think that's good enough ;)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to back out/cancel on going. :(

I just returned home from an unexpected week abroad dealing with a personal tragedy. Everything in my calendar is a bit of a mess now. I'll likely need to juggle my obligations at home that weekend and not be available to go on the trip. I'm hoping I can maybe do a day trip up, at least. Not sure right now.

I've already confirmed and paid for my spot in the Zikoris lodge. If anyone wants to take it/pay or has asked to waitlist to the lodge, please let me or Zikoris know.

Sorry to hear this news @FIFoFum.  Does anyone need a spot in a lodge?

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
Sadly, we won't be able to make it that far north in time.
We are still stuck in Northern California with a broken transmission (on the RV), still waiting for parts to come in.

We don't have any reservation etc. so nothing to cancel.
Just letting you guys know.

Such a bummer, I had high hopes to be able to make it!

Y'all have fun!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache

I have the leftover name tags from Camp Mustache. Most of them have peoples' names on them though, so we'll need to figure out how to reuse them. Maybe there are enough common names? ;)