Author Topic: Vancouver/Seattle Camping Meetup June 9/10, 2018 (Bellingham, Washington)  (Read 16473 times)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
Could we get added as a "maybe"?  4 total, we'd bring our tent trailer for camping... sounds like it would fit in one of the spots?
Yep,  I have a similar situation (but smaller trailer)...  It was no problem for the camp reservations person.   Just call and describe what you have and they will situate you in the right spot.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Could we get added as a "maybe"?  4 total, we'd bring our tent trailer for camping... sounds like it would fit in one of the spots?

Yes, you are added.  The only way to secure is to call the campground and book a spot.  With 2 groups sharing a site it will cost $35 for the 2 nights.
On dating endlessly: “Everything will be alright in the end! If it’s not alright, it’s not the end!”

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

Journal: I Found Happiness!  Now What?!

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
Sounds like a great get-together. Wish I could go, but my wife will be birthing a tiny human right around this date. Have fun, everyone!
I made a blog! https://seattlecyclone.com/

The Roth IRA was named after William Roth, who represented Delaware in the US senate from 1971-2001. "Roth" is a name, not an acronym. There's no need to capitalize the final three letters.

v8rx7guy

• Pencil Stache
We may also be interested in leading a hike to the top of oyster some.  We are local to the area and (despite what the top hikes list say) we consider this one to be the best!

Salamander Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This looks like so much fun!  My husband and I just moved to the Seattle area and are free that weekend.  We would definitely like to come.  Is there any room left in the lodge?

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
We may also be interested in leading a hike to the top of oyster some.  We are local to the area and (despite what the top hikes list say) we consider this one to be the best!

There will likely be people interested in that option.  I've hiked in the area by Larabee State Park and we found it fantastic.  You are blessed with a beautiful area!  As we get closer to the date it would be great if you posted a plan to garner interest.
On dating endlessly: “Everything will be alright in the end! If it’s not alright, it’s not the end!”

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
This looks like so much fun!  My husband and I just moved to the Seattle area and are free that weekend.  We would definitely like to come.  Is there any room left in the lodge?

@Salamander Stash I recommend you either PM @Zikoris who rented one cabin (may be full) or just contact the camp as there were many options. 

Should I put you down as yes? 

Salamander Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
@FIRE_at_45 Thanks!  Yes, please put us down as a 'yes.' I sent @Zikoris a message and if that cabin is full, I'll call the camp.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
@FIRE_at_45 Thanks!  Yes, please put us down as a 'yes.' I sent @Zikoris a message and if that cabin is full, I'll call the camp.

Sounds good, thanks!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Update: With Salamander Stash and her husband included, the lodge is now full! The final cost for lodge members is $35/person (US Dollars). Please either bring the money (in US Dollars) to the event and give it to me when you get there, or if you're Vancouver-local and it's easier, meet me in Vancouver ahead of time to pay or send an email money transfer.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

Mfertakis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi Everybody, I'm new here on the MMM forum. This camping trip sounds like a blast!

@FIRE_at_45 Are there still camping spots available? Are we doing a group site or should I just book my own?
I'm also down for mtn biking, I haven't been to Galbraith yet!

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Hi Everybody, I'm new here on the MMM forum. This camping trip sounds like a blast!

@FIRE_at_45 Are there still camping spots available? Are we doing a group site or should I just book my own?

I decided against doing a group spot as we did not have enough people signed up.  Yes, book a spot by contacting the campground (info up thread).  Finally, just confirm when you are booked and whether you want others to join your site to reduce the costs.

Cheers!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache

If you want to share with me, PM me.  I have reserved a spot, but it should be fine with two tents.

Duke3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been interested in FI for about a year.  Would love to come camping June 9/10- are there still spots?

Thanks!

Chris

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been interested in FI for about a year.  Would love to come camping June 9/10- are there still spots?

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!  If you scroll back to page #2 and post 69 you will find all the details for the campground.  Simply call and reserve a spot for $15.  Then report back what spot you have booked.  They allow a couple tents per spot so you can then come back here and see if anyone wants to join you.  There are still loads of people on the maybe list that may want to join you.

I know @Goldielocks still has space...not sure if @Mfertakis already snagged it but you can PM (personal message her). 

Cheers!

Mfertakis

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hello everyone,

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris, welcome to the forum!  If you scroll back to page #2 and post 69 you will find all the details for the campground.  Simply call and reserve a spot for $15.  Then report back what spot you have booked.  They allow a couple tents per spot so you can then come back here and see if anyone wants to join you.  There are still loads of people on the maybe list that may want to join you.

I know @Goldielocks still has space...not sure if @Mfertakis already snagged it but you can PM (personal message her). 

Cheers!

Hi Chris,

I am new here as well. I did contact Goldielocks about her extra spot on her site. However, I also called the campground yesterday and talked with Laura. She said that they have plenty of spots still available. As @FIRE_at_45 mentioned, just give her a call and grab a spot!

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks for the update @Mfertakis!  It's good to hear that there is still lots of space available.

Duke3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thanks to you both- I'll look into making a booking.
Best,
Chris

Duke3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The camp looks great!
Is anyone else bringing family/children?  I could bring mine or not depending on the plans/atmosphere..

Thanks

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
The camp looks great!
Is anyone else bringing family/children?  I could bring mine or not depending on the plans/atmosphere..

Thanks

I am not bringing mine because they are with their mom.  There have been a few people who were planning to bring children but at this point I think we are about 15 adults and no children. 

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
Looking forward to this! Will anyone coming from Seattle have room for an extra passenger? I'd love a ride.

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
Looking forward to this! Will anyone coming from Seattle have room for an extra passenger? I'd love a ride.

Alternately, could I meet someone at the Bellingham train station?

imustachemystash

• Bristles
The camp looks great!

Thanks

I'm coming with my kids!  Bring yours so they can play together.  Mine are 6 and 9.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
The camp looks great!

Thanks

I'm coming with my kids!  Bring yours so they can play together.  Mine are 6 and 9.

That is great @imustachemystash have you booked a camp spot? 

imustachemystash

• Bristles
Yes.  I booked #16. This will be our first time camping as a family. Laura said there would be plenty for the kids to do there. In case anyone was wondering there is a bathhouse with showers!   

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Yes.  I booked #16. This will be our first time camping as a family. Laura said there would be plenty for the kids to do there. In case anyone was wondering there is a bathhouse with showers!

Just bring some bikes and have them pedal around endlessly ;)

There seems to be a lot to do just at the campground.  Thanks for confirming!

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
The camp looks great!

Thanks

I'm bringing our 7 y/o daughter. Did you decide whether to bring yours? If so, what age is/are he/she/they?

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache

imustachemystash, is there room for a 2nd tent on your campsite? We'd love to camp together, and then the kids can play together too. We can only make it for Sat/Sun (1 night)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:07:39 AM by yolfer »

yolfer

• Pencil Stache
    • Camp Mustache
Sorry for the radio silence for so long. Just confirming that I'm still in, though it'll just be me and my daughter (7 y/o) and just Sat/Sun (1 night).

I'd love to share a campsite with another group (especially if you have kid(s)), otherwise I'll book another campsite and offer up the 2nd tent spot to someone.

Looking forward to it!!

imustachemystash

• Bristles

imustachemystash, is there room for a 2nd tent on your campsite? We'd love to camp together, and then the kids can play together too. We can only make it for Sat/Sun (1 night)

Sure.  You can share with us.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
@yolfer and @imustachemystash that's awesome you guys can share a site!

As we get closer I'm hoping that people will volunteer to take on some activity coordination if people are into it.  I'm going to organize the mountain bike riding with @Retire-Canada so I won't be able to coordinate other activities. ;)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
We are now only a month away from the Bellingham camping weekend.  I am excited to meet everyone and drink a few beers from Oregon....err I mean Washington...no Oregon ;)

So, there were a lot of maybes.  I was hoping people could firm up their interest soon....no pressure.  If you can't come no big deal.  It would be great though for planning if we had some rough numbers and potentially volunteers to organize things informally.

@arebelspy
@Stasher
@Novik
@FIFoFum
@Bracken_Joy
@andy85
@katscratch where have you gone? ;)
@FiveSigmas
@Paul der Krake
@NinetyFour
@Off the Wheel
@cheddarpie
@Seattle Carter
@FrugalZony
@v8rx7guy

Cheers!

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
Hi Fa45. Yes, I'm confirmed and am sharing the lodge with Zikoris.

BTW: I have a 90% confirmed offer for transport up from Seattle. If there's anyone else coming up that would have space for 1, though, I'd love a backup plan.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
I still have this on my radar and check on the thread regularly.

We are in the Bay area now, thus reasonably close considering this is a month away.

I am still in a holding pattern regarding a potential trip to Europe in June (medical issue) and won't know until right before the event.
If we make it it will be pretty last minute.
But I still hope it'll work out.

We are now only a month away from the Bellingham camping weekend.  I am excited to meet everyone and drink a few beers from Oregon....err I mean Washington...no Oregon ;)

So, there were a lot of maybes.  I was hoping people could firm up their interest soon....no pressure.  If you can't come no big deal.  It would be great though for planning if we had some rough numbers and potentially volunteers to organize things informally.

@arebelspy
@Stasher
@Novik
@FIFoFum
@Bracken_Joy
@andy85
@katscratch where have you gone? ;)
@FiveSigmas
@Paul der Krake
@NinetyFour
@Off the Wheel
@cheddarpie
@Seattle Carter
@FrugalZony
@v8rx7guy

Cheers!
After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true.
Mr. Spock

Trial FIRE blog: http://thefrugalhumanist.com

Save money on pet food: http://pennywisepaws.com

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
Sorry--I'm out!  My May and June just got too busy!  Hope you all have a great time.

Novik

• Pencil Stache
I am out as well - we don't fly into BC until Sat am, so are going to launch right into touristing in Vancouver and avoid the logistics mess of getting down to this. Too bad though since it sounds like a lot of fun!
Ongoing goals journal: Over-thinking my way to FIRE
If you're a dual American/Canadian citizen living in Canada and investing in Canadian-domiciled index funds outside an RRSP, please PM me.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
I am confirmed in, also staying in the Zikoris lodge.
Ask me about my puppy pics!

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
Move me to the No category.

FreelanceToFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I don't believe I'll be able to camp that weekend - but, I actually live in Bellingham. If anyone wants to meet up before/after, or if you guys end up going on a hike or something, let me know!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
I will definitely be hiking one of the days... likely saturday.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
We're still a maybe. Depends on my current medical stuff. Won't know until closer to the date. Sorry! We would be doing a tent if we go, though. Still would be husband + me. Although looking also like +puppy ;)
My journal: Hiding in the Ferns
Like babies? Have kids? Want to chat about Babies and Pregnancy/Infertility? Group Journal Here.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
I am confirmed in, also staying in the Zikoris lodge.

@FIFoFum Can you Paypal me $37 when you get a chance? Message me for my email - I'm trying to get everything taken care of beforehand so I don't need to keep track of cash or anything at the camp.
Blogging about frugality, travel, and Vancouver life - www.incomingassets.wordpress.com

I also have a journal! http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-zikoris-diaries/

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Thanks for the reply @Bracken_Joy and no problem about still being a maybe.  It sounds like the weekend is not terribly booked, although I haven't connected with the campground for a while now.

@FreelanceToFreedom I recommend just keeping track of the thread because there likely will be an opportunity and you are welcome to join us for campfires Friday/Saturday nights.

@Novik I knew it was a long shot, no problem.  @andy85 thanks for confirming you are out. 

@FrugalZony that's no problem.  It sounds like you are mobile so when you know just book a spot. 

Off the Wheel

• Stubble
Hey @FIRE_at_45, I'm out. Situation has changed in that... I'm pregnant! Wowee. So yes, taking it easy for now.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Hey @FIRE_at_45, I'm out. Situation has changed in that... I'm pregnant! Wowee. So yes, taking it easy for now.

Oh sure, good excuse ;)  Seriously, awesome news!  Congratulations!!

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2 more in for camping. We have a converted cargo van we'll sleep in.

We were hoping to find some BLM land close by or something to camp for free, but there's nothing obvious close by that we can see. Anyone else thought of this option?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
hmmmhmm 

It is only $35 if you share a site, and we get access to their outdoor amenities (lakeshore, etc), and the camp it runs from is a charity that provides summer camp experiences to kids with limited income means (as well as to typical families).

Would it help if you thought of it as helping a charity?

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
hmmmhmm 

It is only $35 if you share a site, and we get access to their outdoor amenities (lakeshore, etc), and the camp it runs from is a charity that provides summer camp experiences to kids with limited income means (as well as to typical families).

Would it help if you thought of it as helping a charity?
Hehe okay, you've convinced us, we're in!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
The sites are $35/night, so $70 total? Seems like the spots are large enough that people are splitting them, to make it $35 total?

They have RV availability? I will try to remember to call tomorrow.

We're probably 80% to attend right now.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
The sites are $35/night, so $70 total? Seems like the spots are large enough that people are splitting them, to make it $35 total?

They have RV availability? I will try to remember to call tomorrow.

We're probably 80% to attend right now.

That's great Joe, I've forgotten how to link a message but it is post #69 with the campground details.  Yes, you can have an RV.  6 total per site with 1 RV and 1 tent or 2 tents.