Author Topic: Vancouver  (Read 55433 times)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
Re: Vancouver
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »
Sounds like a fun event, put yourself on the spot and let the critique begin

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »
Thanks to FIRE_at_45 for pointing me in this direction. I'll plan to attend and even volunteer to expose my (financial) self if more volunteers are needed.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
The last meetup was a blast! Just letting anyone who's not on Meetup.com know, I've scheduled our next meetup for Saturday May 27th at 3:00, at my place in Gastown again. This one is a group discussion on Mustachianism and relationships, including dating, family, friends, coworkers, and more. So no need to do any homework for this one! It should be a pretty interesting discussion. Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any questions, or have any great ideas for questions to ask the group.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2017, 06:09:15 PM »
The last meetup was a blast! Just letting anyone who's not on Meetup.com know, I've scheduled our next meetup for Saturday May 27th at 3:00, at my place in Gastown again. This one is a group discussion on Mustachianism and relationships, including dating, family, friends, coworkers, and more. So no need to do any homework for this one! It should be a pretty interesting discussion. Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any questions, or have any great ideas for questions to ask the group.

Hi Zikoris,
I'd like to come to this meet-up and thanks for posting it here.   Please let me know what I can bring snacks-wise. 
Looking forward to it.
Pachnik

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:24 PM »

Hi Zikoris,
I'd like to come to this meet-up and thanks for posting it here.   Please let me know what I can bring snacks-wise. 
Looking forward to it.
Pachnik

Whatever you like! Usually I bake some cookies, and people bring vegetables/fruit, cookies, crackers, drinks, etc. We're super informal.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
It was a good meet-up.  Thanks Zikoris + spouse for hosting in your commons room.   I really enjoyed meeting everyone.   Plus your homemade cookies were excellent!

I especially liked that your husband and I had the same cell phone.  Great minds thinking alike!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 09:36:51 AM by pachnik »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
It was a good meet-up.  Thanks Zikoris + spouse for hosting in your commons room.   I really enjoyed meeting everyone.   Plus your homemade cookies were excellent!

I especially liked that your husband and I had the same cell phone.  Great minds thinking alike!

Thanks! The phone thing was hilarious - for anyone reading, myself, my partner, and Pachnik are probably the three people in Vancouver who still use flip phones, and it turns out they both have the same model.

Also, I have a couple of your tupperwares! I'll hang onto them - let me know if you want to grab them, or want me to bring them to a future meetup, or anything.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
You just hang on to those Tupperwares until the next meetup! 

I really enjoyed being in your part of town too.  To me, who doesn't come to that area very often at all, it sure has changed a lot for the better.  I remember lots of boarded up store fronts.  Very vibrant now. 

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: June 03, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »
Oops, I guess I need to get on to Meetup.com since I didn't see this one until too late, although I wouldn't have been able to make it this time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #109 on: June 24, 2017, 08:22:52 PM »
Any interest in a late July or early September meetup?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: June 24, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »

Yes, I'd probably be up for end of July or early September.  When will you know dates?  It would be cool to have a meet up in Stanley Park.

I need to research the easiest way to get a ferry to take an RV to Vancouver Island and if it's better/cheaper to do that from WA, or BC.  At some point though, I'll be passing through Vancouver (east of you right now, in the Okanagan valley).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »
You will only want to make the trip on and off the island once as it isn't cheap with an RV. Also, the first and last sailings of the day are on sale right now for the summer so be sure to make sure you take advantage of any deals they have on.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »

We have a MMM hike coming up on July 9th, but otherwise no solid plans - I might throw together a picnic meetup at the end on July at a local park. I'm still bumming around Europe for the time being :)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2017, 02:22:18 PM »
All I know is that it's expensive with an RV but that research should be fairly straight forward.   There are 2 terminals in Vancouver (Tsawassen & Horseshoe Bay).  I'm partial to Tsawassen.  You can access Victoria or Nanaimo from Tsawassen.  If you go down south I think you can only come into Victoria so that may factor into your planning. 

Just keep posting here.  I'm sure there will be a decent group that could get together.

Other than a two-week road trip in July, I'm around most of the time and look forward to it.

Watch out for long weekends (July 1, observed July 3, and August 7) - avoid the ferries on them if you can; make reservations if you can't.

I bet it's hot in the Okanagan right now.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2017, 02:37:25 PM »
You will only want to make the trip on and off the island once as it isn't cheap with an RV.

I'm seeing about 110 CAD?  That seems pretty cheap to me. Or am I looking in the wrong place, or do I just have a higher expectation for ferry costs?

It's perfect.  :)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2017, 11:40:28 PM »
You will only want to make the trip on and off the island once as it isn't cheap with an RV.

I'm seeing about 110 CAD?  That seems pretty cheap to me. Or am I looking in the wrong place, or do I just have a higher expectation for ferry costs?

It's perfect.  :)

The ferries are base price for car and driver, up to 20 ft, plus a price per foot over that, plus an overheight charge, pluse about se:

$57.50 for first 20 feet of car
$17 per person / adult
$6.50 per foot over the first 20 feet  (our utility trailer is pulled behind a 15 ft long car, total of 7 feet over, or $46 more)
Overheight charge (if over 7 ft, so take bike and kayaks off of roof, if you can, )
reservation fee (varies, around $10, optional bur recommended for RV.

plus 12% taxes.

So, our utility trailer / car combo, with only one kayak( two would be overheight) is $165 x 2 directions = $330 for the trip.

Cheaper on the "sale" routes very early / late or some weekdays with the RV.

We think it is a lot around, here, for certain, especially if you need to use the ferries with a car a lot.  I have begun to walk on and use transit on both side more often, and we are planning to bring our bikes on the next trip.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
I'm about an hour east, in Maple Ridge, for the month. Where do you guys typically meet?

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
I'm about an hour east, in Maple Ridge, for the month. Where do you guys typically meet?

Generally either in the mountains, or at my place downtown. Our last meetup was a hike to Whyte Lake a couple of weeks ago, but I can definitely organize something in the near future. You guys have a baby, right? What kind of activities are you able to do?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: August 03, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
The kid hasn't stopped us from doing anything so far. :)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #119 on: August 03, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
Following along .... hopefully we get some rain to bring back the green we are known for, this heat is not typical. I will see what I can make happen to come over and join in for the fun. LOL any one up for a Grouse Grind ;)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #120 on: August 03, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
I'm hesitant to plan outdoor activities given the air quality - anyone have any suggestions for indoor activities? I'll probably plan a discussion group at my place soon, but I'd be totally down to do something on the long weekend if it doesn't involve hacking my lungs out.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
I'm hesitant to plan outdoor activities given the air quality - anyone have any suggestions for indoor activities? I'll probably plan a discussion group at my place soon, but I'd be totally down to do something on the long weekend if it doesn't involve hacking my lungs out.

Post here when you have something figured out.  I am up for something, too... but agree about the outdoor air quality for anything more than sitting in a park!

One idea is a barbeque at Ambelside park (West Vancouver / beach) during the week  (I have to pick up my kid near there after his summer camp this week, Monday-Friday).... 

Or - hike at Lindeman lake (outside of Chilliwack, Chilliwack provincial park)?  Carpooling would be needed...

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2017, 12:11:08 AM »
LOL any one up for a Grouse Grind ;)

Any time! But yes, the air quality isn't great right now.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2017, 07:47:28 PM »
Okay, the air is supposed to clear for Saturday, so I'm scheduling a last minute easy hike - 10km loop walk around Burnaby lake, this Saturday the 12th, meeting point 10am at Sperling skytrain station. Be there or be square!

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2017, 10:39:05 AM »
Okay, the air is supposed to clear for Saturday, so I'm scheduling a last minute easy hike - 10km loop walk around Burnaby lake, this Saturday the 12th, meeting point 10am at Sperling skytrain station. Be there or be square!

Sounds good, but I won't be able to make it unfortunately.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2017, 10:05:36 PM »
Sounds good, but I won't be able to make it unfortunately.
Likewise, I am volunteering at an event here that I have to help run

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2017, 06:45:49 AM »

I love Burnaby Lake and Deer Lake too but we have plans already for today.   Sad to miss you guys! 

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »
There were only four of us, but it was fun!

I've scheduled another hike for next week - the Capilano Pacific Trail, a one-way 7km hike from Park Royal to the Cleveland Dam. It's quite scenic, not too difficult, and the dam is pretty cool - you can walk right out onto it and look down the canyon. Saturday, August 19th, meeting at 10:30am behind Park Royal mall at this spot: http://imgur.com/a/zl74L

I'd recommend taking transit, since it's a one-way hike and you'll otherwise end up 7km away from your car/bike. You could theoretically hike back afterwards for a 14km total distance, but please only do that if you're familiar with the trail and pretty confident you won't get lost. There's public transit from the Cleveland Dam end that goes to the Lonsdale Quay.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
It was a great hike yesterday! Perfect weather, good company.

I've scheduled another meetup for next week - a bike ride this time, since a lot of people have expressed interest in that! We're biking the Richmond dyke trails, from Aberdeen skytrain station out to Steveston. It's about 11.5 km each way, totally flat, probably about an hour each direction at a casual, relaxed pace. We'll grab lunch at the wharf, which is a very scenic area with lots of fish and chips places.

The meeting point is Aberdeen skytrain station, 10:30am, Saturday the 26th. Come join us!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 04:01:14 PM by Zikoris »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
It's gotten quiet in here!

Next meetup: Saturday September 9th, bike and picnic. We bike the Fraser foreshore trail from Marine Drive station along the river out to Burnaby, where we end up at a nice picnic area. It's about 8k each way, flat, 2/3 paved 1/3 dirt/gravel trails. Casual pace - we're more about fun and conversation than speed. Meeting point: 10:30am, Marine Drive skytrain station.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2017, 04:07:34 PM »
Sounds fun...I will be on a roadtrip and won't be able to make it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2017, 04:24:58 PM »
Next meetup - potluck dinner at my place next Saturday the 16th, 6pm. The theme is Mustachian Milestones, complete with toasts to anyone who has milestones they'd like to share. I live in Gastown, not far from either skytrain line. There's no visitor parking, but lots of room for bikes.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #132 on: September 11, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
Hopefully @Fire45 can bring me to a Vancouver meetup in the future... too bad this one is the same as our VanIsle one

MrsTuxedocat

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:22 PM »
Fun! I am there :)

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2017, 02:12:40 AM »
It's gotten quiet in here!

Next meetup: Saturday September 9th, bike and picnic. We bike the Fraser foreshore trail from Marine Drive station along the river out to Burnaby, where we end up at a nice picnic area. It's about 8k each way, flat, 2/3 paved 1/3 dirt/gravel trails. Casual pace - we're more about fun and conversation than speed. Meeting point: 10:30am, Marine Drive skytrain station.
Wish we had seen this beforehand :( We were visiting Vancouver and staying in Burnaby as a matter of fact. No bikes but would have walked or driven. I think it may have been raining that day though.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2017, 03:27:41 PM »
Vancouver Meetup

Friday October 13th @ 6 PM

Location - TBD (downtown someplace; likely an economically priced vegetarian or sushi restaurant)

Reply here if you are interested or PM me.

Watching....hard part is finding an easy way downtown for out of towners :) They really need to get train service to other the north or south ferry terminals

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #136 on: October 12, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
Vancouver Meetup

Location - TBD (downtown someplace; likely an economically priced vegetarian or sushi restaurant)

Looks like I can make it!

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #137 on: October 12, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
Vancouver Meetup

And here I go getting stuck with plans that might not allow me to come now

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: October 12, 2017, 01:31:17 PM »
Vancouver Meetup

Well, I can drive you to the south Ferry terminal,  after, if that helps the decision.

And here I go getting stuck with plans that might not allow me to come now

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #139 on: October 12, 2017, 02:25:44 PM »
Cheers man and thanks Goldie

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2017, 11:05:02 AM »
Scheduled our next discussion group! Saturday, October 28th, 3-5 pm. Condensed version from Meetup:

It's starting to get cold and rainy out, making it a good time to transition from hiking and biking meetups to discussion groups. By popular demand, let's have a discussion about Mustachianism and minimalism! We'll talk about things like:

- Minimalism as a wealth-building tool
- How we all implement minimalism in our own lives
- Personal sources of minimalist inspiration (authors, philosophies, etc)
- And anything else the group is interested in!

Bring a snack or drink to share with the group!

No visitor parking available, but there's a secured bike room in the building, ample transit access, and multiple parkades and street parking in the area.

Given that it's at my home, PM me for the address. It's in the Gastown area.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2017, 02:12:37 PM »
Scheduled our next discussion group! Saturday, October 28th, 3-5 pm. Condensed version from Meetup:

Hopefully this one works out, a Saturday is much better for me.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »
Hi Zikoris,

Please count me in for Saturday's discussion.  I'll send you a PM to get your address. 
Looking forward to it,
Pachnik

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #143 on: October 22, 2017, 03:54:31 PM »
Hi Zikoris,

Please count me in for Saturday's discussion.  I'll send you a PM to get your address. 
Looking forward to it,
Pachnik

Great, I can give you your tupperwares back! lol.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: October 22, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
Hi Zikoris,

Looking forward to it,
Pachnik

Great, I can give you your tupperwares back! lol.

lol is right.  I am counting the minutes until I get those tupperwares back...  :) 

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2017, 10:36:03 AM »
Hi Zikoris,

Thanks again to you and your husband for hosting the meet-up.  There was some really good discussion + treats!

Cheers!
Pachnik

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2017, 11:20:40 AM »

Ms. Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2018, 08:48:13 PM »
Hello Mustachians!

New to the forum here - I'm on the north shore.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: January 04, 2018, 10:11:42 PM »
Hello Mustachians!

Welcome!

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2018, 07:40:15 PM »
Hello Mustachians!

Yes, welcome! I'm on the north shore as well, although not for long. It would be funny if we knew each other IRL. If we did, you wouldn't have too much trouble figuring it out from my posts.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!