Author Topic: Vancouver & Seattle Meetup in Bellingham, Washington May 31st & June 1st, 2019.  (Read 795 times)

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
    • I found happiness! Now what!?
Hi folks!

This year's camping weekend near Bellingham was so much fun I'm hoping to organize something similar again next year.  It may seem like a long way away that you don't even want to think about it, but hey some people like me like to know ahead of time.

I will likely follow the exact same plan as last year, assuming the venue is available.  I will post more here as the date approaches. 

Mark your calendars. ;)

I contacted Lutherwood and they have availability for the weekend of May 31st/June 1st. 

Here are some details on the campground.  I will continue to copy over some more information.

I found what I think is an ideal spot for people from Vancouver and Seattle.  Bellingham.  For those who don't know Bellingham has an airport.  It's also about 1 hr 45 minutes from Seatac International Airport and 1 hour from Vancouver International Airport if people want to fly in. 

The date is May 30/June 1, 2019. 

Group Camping

This year we did not use the large group camping spot because people trickled in and reserved their own spots which worked out to about the same amount of money.  They also have cabins and lodges that people can rent if they aren't happy camping.  @Zikoris reports the lodge cost about $20/night per person once full.

Canoeing

It's on a beautiful lake so there are opportunities to canoe....and swim although it's early in the summer season (still spring).

Boat Rentals:

Canoe/Kayak $10/hour
Paddle Boats/Boards $15/hour
*outside of Summer Schedule rentals need to be scheduled with the office ahead of time

Mountain Biking

And since I'm organizing things there will be...mountain biking for those who are interested.

Hiking

And hiking.....although I won't be able to coordinate both.  I'll be looking for help to organize side trips.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractions-g58350-Activities-c61-t87-Bellingham_Washington.html

^top 5 hikes Bellingham, Washington

High Ropes Course

This place also has a high up ropes course.

http://www.camplutherwood.org/challenge-course/

This campground is a Christian camp but they allow alcohol in moderation.  There will be no attempted conversions.  RC will be supervising to make sure that any atheists feel comfortable ;)

Absolutely no pot will be tolerated by the camp.  This would result in our eviction so if you are 420 friendly you will have to smoke it elsewhere. 

So, who's in?

Explore their website...

http://www.camplutherwood.org/rentals/#campingjump
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 01:52:20 PM by FIRE_at_45 »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Sounds good. I plan to be there. One tent with one or two people.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
Sweet! I think I'll book the other lodge this time - it holds a few extra people, and has smaller bedrooms rather than one large bunkroom. Looking forward to it!

ToTheMoon

• Bristles
PTF - I have loved CM*TO the last couple years, but staying West Coast might also be awesome!

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
PTF. I'm a very definite maybe. :)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
Following.  Would like to attend if I'm in town.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
Sweet! I think I'll book the other lodge this time - it holds a few extra people, and has smaller bedrooms rather than one large bunkroom. Looking forward to it!

The Zikoris Lodge - Part 2! 

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'll add more details as time passes.

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thank you for organizing again! Will be there.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
PTF. Definitely interested!

v8rx7guy

• Handlebar Stache
I had a fun time this year and would definitely be interested again in 2019

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
I had a fun time this year and would definitely be interested again in 2019

Likewise!

Aggie1994

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
interested

ETA: I see you had options for lodging last year for non tent folks

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
interested

Yup, last year I booked one of the lodges and we split the cost among the roommates. It's quite affordable since they sleep a lot of people (about $20/person/night). You don't have a huge amount of privacy, for what it's worth - one lodge has one big bunk room, and the other one has four bedrooms with 2-4 beds per room. They have nice fireplaces and kitchens, and plenty of room for gatherings inside. And they have heating and plumbing, which is nice. The whole complex is fairly small, so it's less than a five minute walk from the lodges to the campground as well.

Aggie1994

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
interested

Yup, last year I booked one of the lodges and we split the cost among the roommates. It's quite affordable since they sleep a lot of people (about $20/person/night). You don't have a huge amount of privacy, for what it's worth - one lodge has one big bunk room, and the other one has four bedrooms with 2-4 beds per room. They have nice fireplaces and kitchens, and plenty of room for gatherings inside. And they have heating and plumbing, which is nice. The whole complex is fairly small, so it's less than a five minute walk from the lodges to the campground as well.

Sounds like my kind of place! Definitely interested.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
It could happen for me. Posting to follow.

I spent a mere 4 days in Seattle this fall, and vowed to return for a longer PNW trip. It could happen in 2019.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I phoned the campground manager and confirmed that both lodges are available and the entire campground is open.  At this point I'd say we are good to go for this date...of course if we don't reserve it could get booked but I think that's a fairly low risk.

I will likely reserve a camping spot in early 2019.  Their cancellation policy is pretty generous from what I recall.

http://www.camplutherwood.org/contact/

^here is the contact information for the campground.  At this point no reservations have been made. 

plugging away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This could be a great way to start my summer road trip.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
This could be a great way to start my summer road trip.

Indeed!

plugging away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

Indeed!

I might actually make it to Vancouver Island if I start the summer in Bellingham :-) I seem to always get hung up in Idaho!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
I might actually make it to Vancouver Island if I start the summer in Bellingham :-) I seem to always get hung up in Idaho!

Ha! Good plan! :-)

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
I think that the group campsite would be terrific.   Flex to grow / shrink slightly (and just have people pay you).

The group site was adjacent to the lovely flush toilets with showers (just across the driveway)...and looking over the grass field to the lake, near the dining hall, and much closer to the lodges, too. 

Disadvantages -- need to book the whole site upfront, (possibly work out a price for reduced rent if fewer people show / pay than expected?  This is their low season).  There are no individual water / electrical hookups, but there must be something for the group.

No rain shelter (I think), but we could arrange to bring our own versions, or escape to the dining hall if they allow us again. (low season).

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
I think that the group campsite would be terrific.   Flex to grow / shrink slightly (and just have people pay you).

The group site was adjacent to the lovely flush toilets with showers (just across the driveway)...and looking over the grass field to the lake, near the dining hall, and much closer to the lodges, too. 

Disadvantages -- need to book the whole site upfront, (possibly work out a price for reduced rent if fewer people show / pay than expected?  This is their low season).  There are no individual water / electrical hookups, but there must be something for the group.

No rain shelter (I think), but we could arrange to bring our own versions, or escape to the dining hall if they allow us again. (low season).

That's funny because I never scoped out where the group camping spot was located.  I agree, that's a better location because of its proximity to the showers, lake and free coffee. 

I did not book it last year for concern that we would not have enough people to make it any cheaper.  In the end I think we paid slightly more for camping as a group the way we ended up doing it but we had the whole place to ourselves which was cool.

Still a lot of time to figure it out....and if people want to organize informal discussions feel free.  The lodge seems like a great place to stage discussions because they had lots of seating available. 

I would participate...but only after mountain biking ;)