Author Topic: Travel from Northern California to Ohio  (Read 2269 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Travel from Northern California to Ohio
« on: June 04, 2021, 05:21:18 AM »
It looks like I may spend five weeks in 2022 traveling from Northern California to Ohio - basically the whole of April.

If you were planning to do that, what would you see?

I expect to start in San Fransisco, probably go to Durango and see some people, but I don’t have many ideas apart from that at this stage. Some years ago, I did a 12 day circuit from Los Angeles, and visited some of the pueblo sites, petrified forest, monument valley and the Grand Canyon. There’s a lot in the middle.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:31:09 AM by deborah »

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Travel from Northern California to Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 08:12:53 PM »
Depending on how much driving you want to do yourself, California Zephyr Train | Amtrak and Capitol Limited Train Washington, DC, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago | Amtrak might be useful.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 06:46:27 AM »
It looks like I may spend five weeks in 2022 traveling from Northern California to Ohio - basically the whole of April.

If you were planning to do that, what would you see?

I expect to start in San Fransisco, probably go to Durango and see some people, but I don’t have many ideas apart from that at this stage. Some years ago, I did a 12 day circuit from Los Angeles, and visited some of the pueblo sites, petrified forest, monument valley and the Grand Canyon. There’s a lot in the middle.

What part of Ohio?

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 11:59:42 AM »
What kind of things do you like?  Nature? Cities? History? 

I'm not familiar with everything along your route, but since nobody else is stepping up, here's a few suggestions.

Places I have been to:
Santa Cruz (California) - cool beach town
Bonneville Salt Flats (Utah)
Antelope Island (Utah) - nice views of the Great Salt Lake and the mountains
Great Sand Dunes (Colorado) - One of my favorite places. 
Chicago - Also one of my favorite places.  If you like cities you should definitely visit.
Indiana Dunes (Indiana) or Warren Dunes (Michigan) - good beaches.  Lake Michigan looks like the ocean.
Columbus (Ohio) - Also a nice city. 

Places I haven't been to, but I'd like to see:
Death Valley (California)
Lake Tahoe (California)
Moab (Utah)
Zion National Park (Utah)

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 12:15:31 PM »
A lot depends on your specific driving route, but I'm going to assume SF as a starting point and Durango CO as a mid point, after which I don't have any suggestions for you.

One option is SF -> Yosemite valley ->  over Tioga pass (with a stop in Tuolumne Meadows) -> Mono Lake ->  long drive through NV -> Zion National Park -> Bryce Canyon National Park -> North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park -> Vermilion Cliffs -> Monument Valley (mixed reviews, but may be worth a short stop) -> Durango Sorry, I just noticed that you're going in April...Tioga pass typically doesn't open until end of May. You can still kinda do this route, but not Tuolomne Meadows or Tioga pass, and you'll have to backtrack either north to Tahoe or south to Tehachapi (or hwy 178) to get around the Sierra Nevada high country. Oh, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon may not be open in April. You could make the drive around to the south, though that's a pretty long detour :(

Or, another option is to go a slightly more northern route: SF -> Tahoe -> Virginia City, NV (maybe?) -> long drive through NV via hwy 50, the "loneliest highway in the US"  -> Great Basin National Park (be sure to book a cave tour, and make a point to do some star gazing esp. if you're staying at the high elevation campground) -> Arches National Park -> Canyonlands National Park -> Canyons of the Ancients National Monument -> Durango
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:26:51 PM by FINate »

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 04:32:10 PM »
I just heard of something cool happening in Ohio in April...