Author Topic: Toronto Community/Meetup Discussion Thread  (Read 481721 times)

Michalit20

• Stubble
Re: Toronto Community/Meetup Discussion Thread
« Reply #450 on: October 27, 2017, 07:06:31 AM »
works for me.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: October 27, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
And for me! 

I was going to suggest we head to the Allan Gardens Conservatory, a beautiful place to visit, especially (IMO) when it's cold outside and you need a dose of warmth, nature, and green.  But I double checked the hours, and they're only open until 5.  Still, I'll leave this link here, in case any Toronto area folks don't know about this downtown gem, which is completely free, beautiful, and a great place to spend a couple of hours loitering and chatting, or taking photos.  https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b2a9dada600f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD  They also have special displays at various times of the year, which you can find out about through the link.

That was my only inspired suggestion for a location, I'm afraid, and it doesn't work.  Where should we meet?  It will certainly be too cold for sitting around outside by that time, which limits the free/very cheap options somewhat.  And though I would love to suggest meeting somewhere further north or east, I presume that with enough people who work downtown, and with the proximity to the Union GO station, that we should stick to downtown-ish?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #452 on: October 27, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
There's always loitering in a food court in the PATH as a downtown option.  It's fair, though, to take turns moving the location elsewhere in the city to make it more convenient for people who aren't downtown.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: October 28, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
FYI: Admission to all of Toronto's historic museums FREE until end of November

That is totally awesome!  I've just messaged my sister and a friend to make plans to hit some of these places. 

For our meet-up, I don't think any of these will work - a random sampling suggests that most of them close earlier than we would get together.  But hey, Torontonians, if you know of any other great *free* places in the city, please share them!  I'll note, for example, that one of those museums (Gibson House) seems to be open until 8 on Thursdays, and from 5-8, it's Pay What You Can.  And also, High Park has a great castle themed playground for kids, with an easy walk to their little zoo.

Gambatte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #455 on: October 28, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »
Hi,

New to the forum. Living in Barrie but am hoping to join a weeekend meet up if any come up.

Enjoy the rainy day!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #456 on: October 28, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »
If any semi good weather days come up, and someone wants to do a hike in the East End, a couple options are:
Rouge Park - Cedar Trail
Bluffers Park

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #457 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
Hi,

New to the forum. Living in Barrie but am hoping to join a weeekend meet up if any come up.

Enjoy the rainy day!

Hi Gambatte, welcome to the forums!

I'm certainly open to the possibility of a weekend meet-up at some point - I work Sundays mornings and sometimes in the afternoon or evening too.  For that matter, sometimes I work Saturdays too!  But not always.  Would definitely be easier to go to one of these free places, or to do a hike or something, on the weekend, if we could figure out a time that works for most people.  We'd need input especially from parents...

If any semi good weather days come up, and someone wants to do a hike in the East End, a couple options are:
Rouge Park - Cedar Trail
Bluffers Park

Rouge Park ... two minutes from home.  Sounds good to me!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #458 on: November 01, 2017, 11:04:09 AM »
What is the URL of the Toronto Facebook group?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #459 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #460 on: November 01, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
thank you.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #461 on: November 02, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #462 on: November 02, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »
In case you missed it, the 2018 CM Toronto event info is up: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/camp-mustache-events/camp-mustache-canada-2018-the-mustachians-strike-back/

Also in case you missed it, CMC2018 has been renamed as CM*TO since our CMC name is now being applied to other events.

I've opened up the ticket lottery here. Last year we sold out the event in a few days. Right now I have 30 lottery entrants for next year... get in while you can! I'm thinking I should lock down the lottery to 100 ppl so it doesn't get out of hand.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: November 14, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »
Bumping to continue the discussion about where we should meet, if indeed we're going ahead on Tuesday, Nov. 28. 

Sounded like okits, Michalit20 and I were all ok for that date.  I'd be cool with doing another downtown PATH meet-up, or finding a coffee shop, or somewhere more creative, if anyone has an idea.  Just thought we should restart the conversation, and see if anyone else wants to join us.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #464 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:34 PM »
I am still good with Tue Nov 28.  How does that work for everyone else?

Michalit20

• Stubble
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »
Nov 28 still works for me.
No objection to PATH if we're keeping it downtown.
Happy to host, but not living downtown anymore and doubt people would want to shlep way way east (Beaches) for a meetup.

bkwrm175

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:34 AM »
Hi all, just found this post looking for Toronto FIRE folks. Would love to join the meetup on the 28th if I can. Might be working late but will keep an eye on this thread for time/location. Thanks!

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:40 PM »
I think I'm in for the 28th. It is certainly in the calendar.

lwheels1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2017, 07:35:35 PM »
Tue Nov 28 works for me too :)
The PATH downtown sounds good, but am flexible on location

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: November 18, 2017, 01:03:27 AM »
Welcome bkwrm175 and lwheels1!

28th is still good for me, and in the absence of any better suggestions coming along, we can for sure go with the PATH again.  But everyone should check back a day or to in advance, so we can negotiate....

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: November 18, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
I'm Ok too for Nov 28 in the PATH

Olives

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #471 on: November 23, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
Also interested, this will me my first MMM meetup, can someone share what it'll be like? And where in the PATH will it be?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #472 on: November 23, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »
Also interested, this will me my first MMM meetup, can someone share what it'll be like? And where in the PATH will it be?

We sit around and chat.  Bring dinner for yourself (if you want), snacks to share with others (optional), and feel free to ask personal finance questions if there's something you're wondering about.

The Toronto Mustachians eventually found a "good" food court in the PATH, didn't we?  Who remembers the location?  I think it was one of the times I couldn't attend.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #473 on: November 24, 2017, 06:44:09 AM »

We sit around and chat.  Bring dinner for yourself (if you want), snacks to share with others (optional), and feel free to ask personal finance questions if there's something you're wondering about.

The Toronto Mustachians eventually found a "good" food court in the PATH, didn't we?  Who remembers the location?  I think it was one of the times I couldn't attend.

If I recall correctly, it was in First Canadian Place... buuuut I find the PATH can be a maze. Anyone remember distinct underground landmarks?

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: November 24, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
If I recall correctly, it was in First Canadian Place... buuuut I find the PATH can be a maze. Anyone remember distinct underground landmarks?

in First Canadian Place (BMO) in the PATH level, around the corner adjacent to the LCBO there are nice round soft seats in a (semi)circular setup. It is a raised platform by elevators.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #475 on: November 26, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
I won't make this one. Does anyone whose going to be there want to post the final details on the FB group for people who only check there?

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #476 on: November 26, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »
I won't make this one. Does anyone whose going to be there want to post the final details on the FB group for people who only check there?

I can post.

Did we ever decide a time?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #477 on: November 26, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
Everyone should also talk about how the CM*TO lottery is ending soon so everyone who is not aware can enter.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #478 on: November 26, 2017, 04:02:20 PM »
I'm aiming to be at the seating in that PATH around 6pm. I'll bring my knitting so that I am easy to recognize and I have something to do if everyone else is late.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #479 on: November 26, 2017, 08:16:35 PM »
I'll be there around 6:30-ish, later if I get lost. 😆

csr

• Stubble
« Reply #480 on: November 27, 2017, 07:49:26 PM »
See y'all around 6! On the couches near the LCBO and elevators in First Canadian Place PATH.

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: November 28, 2017, 09:49:18 AM »
Took a brief forum break, but I'm back and planning to attend tonight.  Will aim for 6, could be a bit later as my day has been unpredictable so far, but I'll try!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #482 on: November 28, 2017, 04:02:01 PM »
Running late but still planning to come.  See you all soon!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #483 on: December 07, 2017, 09:22:53 PM »
Any interest in December meetup, drinks, whatever, or is everyone holidayed out?

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #484 on: December 09, 2017, 04:47:35 AM »
Any interest in December meetup, drinks, whatever, or is everyone holidayed out?
I was going to reply to you

And I was going to message @okits to suggest hanging out Wednesday daytime at the Christmas market.

And then I thought....why not both? It will be  a very frugal outing because daytime admission is free. It could turn into me having a party with my debit card because of Christmas magic.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #485 on: December 09, 2017, 03:47:29 PM »
hanging out Wednesday daytime at the Christmas market.

And then I thought....why not both? It will be  a very frugal outing because daytime admission is free. It could turn into me having a party with my debit card because of Christmas magic.

Free admission and possibility of day drinking (that's what Christmas magic meant right?)? I'm up for that.
Wednesday Dec 13?

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #486 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
I'm interested but needs to be after work, earliest I can be there at 5 (5.30)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #487 on: December 09, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »
hanging out Wednesday daytime at the Christmas market.

Free admission and possibility of day drinking (that's what Christmas magic meant right?)? I'm up for that.
Wednesday Dec 13? C.f.

Yes. And yes. I think the earliest I'd be interested in arriving would be 1130-ish, and that is probably the earliest anyone would give us alcohol. What kind of time works for you? I believe Santa's house opens at 2 and we can take photos with our own devices
I'm interested but needs to be after work, earliest I can be there at 5 (5.30)

I strongly suspect others will feel the same way. But if possible I'd like to head home or to a date by early evening. Maybe staying long enough to say hi?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #488 on: December 09, 2017, 09:16:00 PM »
Well - I can't speak to my availability in December, but if anyone wants to come along, I'm going to try to make it to the January session of this: https://beyondtheautomobile.ca/bikeminds/

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #489 on: December 10, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
Looks like the Christmas market opens at noon on Wed.  I'll probably have to leave around 12:45pm to be at a meeting for 2pm, but could meet for 11:30 or a bit earlier for coffee or drinks or an early lunch.

Well - I can't speak to my availability in December, but if anyone wants to come along, I'm going to try to make it to the January session of this: https://beyondtheautomobile.ca/bikeminds/

I'm trying to think if the last time I rode a bike.  Possibly it was decades ago.  So would me attending this thing make me a fraud?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #490 on: December 10, 2017, 08:10:48 PM »
Is that two votes for during the day on Wednesday Dec 13th, and one vote for early evening?
If anyone else interested want to speak up by tomorrow (Monday) and we can go with some consensus if that works

(I'm flexible, with slight preference for day / early afternoon, but can ignore my vote)

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: December 11, 2017, 07:06:23 AM »
If everything goes perfectly this week I might be able to meet at 11 or 1130, but I won't likely know until Tuesday evening, so don't make any plans based on me. I likely wouldn't be able to do the evening, as I will be busy talking to someone in return for money. (They get $200 cash, I get a salary and the client gets better ideas based on how people actually use their products, so it is win-win-win.)

H2omelon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #492 on: December 11, 2017, 07:57:47 AM »
Hey, I'm new here.

I would be interested to meet up in Toronto some time. (recently discovered this lifestyle, very intriguing). Wednesday I will only be available after my 9-5 job unfortunately.

Maybe next time!

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #493 on: December 11, 2017, 09:53:21 AM »
I can eventually leave work earlier....trying to get there by 4- 4.30 ....

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #494 on: December 11, 2017, 08:54:01 PM »
If I’m the tie breaker, I guess I’ll go with day. Suggestions on where to meet for day drinks/lunch?

I’m selfishly picking day to run an other errand after. But could possibly meet up later if anyone else still out.

Sounds like room for a December Meetup next week too :)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: December 12, 2017, 11:32:42 AM »
The list of places to go is exhausting... I'm not sure I"m familiar enough with the area to find some of the things that I want to see, but it looks like the Mill Street Brew Pub has tater tots and opens at 11

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
Meet by Mill St. Brew Pub at 11:30 and take it from there? It will be me be plus 1.5
I got down with a cold. Might need to find a hot toddy or mulled wine :)

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #497 on: December 12, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »
Meet by Mill St. Brew Pub at 11:30 and take it from there? It will be me be plus 1.5
I got down with a cold. Might need to find a hot toddy or mulled wine :)

21Tank House Lane, 11:30am, sounds good!  Anyone else planning to come?  I will PM you ny number so we can get in contact if we have trouble finding each other.

Dulcinea del Toboso

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #498 on: January 08, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
Hello,
I'm new to the community and Toronto! Would like to attend one of the meetups

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
On Jan 17 - a week from today - I have to be at 80 Gladstone Ave for 7:30 PM...

Anyone want to do a micro meetup beforehand someplace where food is cheap?