Author Topic: Syracuse/CNY, anyone here?  (Read 2159 times)

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
Syracuse/CNY, anyone here?
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
We recently moved to the Syracuse area and are using this clean slate to embrace Mustachianism. We are loving all the ALDI stores, the Trader Joes and all the Wegmans (ok maybe that one's not so Mustachian) in the region but are definitely looking for more suggestions how to live the frugal life here in the land of high property taxes. And sales tax. And state income tax. Oy.

Anyway give a wave if you're in the area!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
Re: Syracuse/CNY, anyone here?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:01 PM »
I don't live there, but visit four or so times a year, and it's a place I could see settling down in FIRE. An yeah, Wegmans is a pretty nice perk quality of life wise.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
I'm in rochester, not too far and we have a few others in rochester as well. 

Hunny156

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »
Former NY-er here, traded the weather and taxes in for warmer/cheaper options in TX, but I still own four rentals properties in Syracuse.  Used to visit the area once/quarter back then, probably need to plan a visit sometime soon.

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
Hi, fellow high tax payer here.  Live about an hour south of Rochester.  There are tons of adventures if you are an outdoor lover.  You are close to the adirondacks and thousand islands.  Pretty close to Montreal as well.  I love Wegmans imo the prices are really reasonable just stay away from the prepared/ luxury foods yikes expensive.  If you like cheese gotta try the triple creme there (~$6 a hunk) guilty pleasure.  One nice thing I can say is I love our public school funded by the high taxes.  We live out in the boonies and this school has everything our children could want.  We contemplated moving to Rochester for one of the better schools but are very happy where we are.

svosavvy

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:02:43 AM »
I just remembered Syracuse has the Everson Art Museum.  That place is awesome, must see!

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:31:59 AM »
I live in the Finger Lakes Region.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:33:29 PM »
Hi,

I just wanted to give a shout to the handful of CNY dwellers out there. I am in one of the snooty Syracuse east side towns. We are here cashing in on the school system until my kid graduates in 2 years. Then we will be on the lookout for the unicorn of low tax NY housing. Or maybe a different state.

If you think of Syracuse as the city plus a 1-2 hour radius, you will find a lot more fun. Finger lakes, Cooperstown, Alex Bay, Rochester add a lot more things to do.  I also lurk in the geocaching crowd here. As long as you like pill bottles, you will like it here.

YummyRaisins

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
I have family in the Eastern Finger Lakes and a little ways south of Syracuse. Haven't lived there in ~20 years, but I visit several times a year.

The New York State Fair is big tadoo in late August. Pretty easy to get to the fairgrounds, though parking can be a fiasco. Used to love going as a kid. https://nysfair.ny.gov/

Syracuse Nationals Car Show is going on this weekend if you're into classic/modified cars. http://www.rightcoastcars.com/syracuse-nationals-celebrities.php

Whereabouts are you, if you don't mind giving a general direction?