Author Topic: SF/Bay Area?  (Read 195159 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: SF/Bay Area?
« Reply #200 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »
Holy shit guys it's raining in June!

That is all

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2015, 05:15:30 PM »
Holy shit guys it's raining in June!

That is all

... and back to 90 degree through the weekend!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
Thanks. Not sure if I'll make it or not as now it's too hot for me here so may head up the coast towards Eureka tomorrow. Your weather here is kind of crazy. Hmmm...maybe it's me? Being a Goldilocks Diva can be a pain sometimes - "but...but...but... it's got to be just right for me or else!"

Hope you make it out, I always see your signature and I was looking forward to asking you if retiring at 42 to play beach volleyball is as awesome as it sounds

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #203 on: June 13, 2015, 05:24:24 AM »
Hey guys I'm out. Too hot here for me (hiking near Ukiah today at well over 100). So will head up the coast tomorrow but will check in here when I head back south in a week or 2 or 3 and see if anyone is interested in a meet up then.

Just so you know, going up "towards Eureka" is cool, but Eureka itself is kinda a crappy truckstop.  Arcata and Fortuna are more interesting.

climber1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: June 13, 2015, 11:20:27 AM »
Thanks for planning this. Look forward to meeting everyone this afternoon.

climber1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
Where are we meeting? There are a lot of picnic benches in the park.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »
Where are we meeting? There are a lot of picnic benches in the park.

We're By the carousel and not sure where everyone is. Wanna meet by the carousel/train station area? We're a family with two small dogs.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2015, 03:18:06 PM »
I'm here by carousel too.  By the ticket booth.   Blue shirt and white shorts.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2015, 03:20:54 PM »
We're near the carasol. Any one else around?  There's 4 and a baby so far

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2015, 03:22:12 PM »
We're on the train to keep the little one entertained. Will be back to the carousel area in 10 mins.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #210 on: June 13, 2015, 03:25:38 PM »
There 5 off us now. We grabbed a table in the shade next to the carasol,  also black and red chairs

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: June 15, 2015, 11:54:45 AM »
Bummed I had to miss out on this one, I've never gotten around to checking out that park! How was the meetup, those of you who were able to go?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #212 on: June 15, 2015, 01:46:31 PM »
Bummed I had to miss out on this one, I've never gotten around to checking out that park! How was the meetup, those of you who were able to go?

The meet-up was good. Thanks to who ever took the initiative to suggest the date and location.
There was about ten of us (human adults), a couple children, and some four legged attendees.
We chatted, introduced ourselves, talked about a variety of topics, and a few people mentioned how difficult it can be to find others who think the same way in real life.

The park was huge and pretty nice. I knew it had a lake, but had no idea about the carousal and the train. There could have been another group of the same size who converged some where else and we could have missed each other easily.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #213 on: June 15, 2015, 04:46:48 PM »

The meet-up was good. Thanks to who ever took the initiative to suggest the date and location.
There was about ten of us (human adults), a couple children, and some four legged attendees.
We chatted, introduced ourselves, talked about a variety of topics, and a few people mentioned how difficult it can be to find others who think the same way in real life.

The park was huge and pretty nice. I knew it had a lake, but had no idea about the carousal and the train. There could have been another group of the same size who converged some where else and we could have missed each other easily.

Any robots or space aliens?

AndHigherStill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • better living through continuous optimization!
    • And Higher Still
« Reply #214 on: June 15, 2015, 06:30:06 PM »
Awesome!  I'm glad it happened and people had fun :)

Where and when should the next one be?  I am busy the next three weekends, but I'd be happy to advertise again even if I can't make it!

Time for something in the city, like Twin Peaks?  Anyone up in the North Bay or over the hills in Walnut Creek?  Judging by the Mustachian Map, there should be people everywhere!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 06:35:10 PM by AndHigherStill »

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: June 16, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »
It was my first meet up and I had a good time talking with others.
I learned some stuff about back door 401ks, biking to work and a thrift store recommendation.

There was a suggestion that we meet up for a hike.
That would be fun.

Is there any interest in volunteering opportunities?
I'll be attending a free bike clinic this saturday at: www.goodkarmabikes.org
Is there anyone interested in volunteering together? :)

xander92

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »
I'm definitely a fan of doing a hike. It was my first meetup as well last Saturday, and my girlfriend and I really enjoyed it! It was great to see the variety of people who showed up. I think we can all be a little apprehensive meeting people from the internet, but everybody we met was really cool. Let's do this again soon!

Chris

Zx

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: July 12, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »
Anyone in the San Ramon area?

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #218 on: July 16, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
For those who aren't active on the Bay Area MMM FaceBook, Twitter, Google+, Google Group, Bay Area Mighty Mustachian Meetup (BAMMM), or MMM's personal email list...

The Mustachioed Man himself will be attending the next meet up, which will be at Precita Park, (3200 Folsom in Bernal Heights, San Francisco) at 6pm, Monday August 3rd.  Along with a lot of other cool people.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #219 on: July 16, 2015, 05:46:42 PM »
For those who aren't active on the Bay Area MMM FaceBook, Twitter, Google+, Google Group, Bay Area Mighty Mustachian Meetup (BAMMM), or MMM's personal email list...

The Mustachioed Man himself will be attending the next meet up, which will be at Precita Park, (3200 Folsom in Bernal Heights, San Francisco) at 6pm, Monday August 3rd.  Along with a lot of other cool people.

Lol, I'm not on any of that so thanks for the heads up

edit: dagiffy1, I'm near-ish to San Ramon

sobezen

• Bristles
« Reply #220 on: July 16, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Bakari.  Precita park in Bernal Heights is a nice change from Heron (sp) park.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #221 on: July 16, 2015, 11:14:43 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Bakari.  Precita park in Bernal Heights is a nice change from Heron (sp) park.

By the way, which of these groups can I join (1) anonymously and (2) easily (I don't want to have to make a fake facebook profile, for example).

If I showed up to one of these, do you think anyone would "recognize" me"?   Like, oh that guy is a crazy fool, must be dragoncar.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:17:33 PM by dragoncar »

AndHigherStill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • And Higher Still
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
@dragoncar, the Bay Area Mustachians email list is relatively anonymous, as long as you don't reply to anything - email addresses are hidden by default, only members can look at the membership list, and it's up to you how you're displayed.

I update bammm.andhigherstill.com with new Bay Area events as they're announced, though there's no built-in way to subscribe to updates.

I've also been posting event details to Twitter with the hashtag #BayAreaMMM; here's the QueryFeed RSS feed that you could subscribe to.

EastbayRN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2015, 01:09:41 PM »
Is anyone carpooling in the Berkeley area?

AndHigherStill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • And Higher Still
« Reply #224 on: August 28, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
Last-minute BBQ tomorrow afternoon (12:00~16:30) in Strawberry Creek Park!

Numerous people at the MMM meetup last month asked me to get this on meetup.com, so I created a group for testing it out.  Even if you can't come tomorrow, feel free to sign up and join the group for notifications of future events.  The map and links to everything are also available on bammm.andhigherstill.com.

I've reserved a 4.5-hour block at this small park, which is a short walk from the North Berkeley BART (or a short bike from Berkeley, Emeryville, Oakland, El Cerrito, Albany, or Richmond!).

There are picnic tables and charcoal grill on site, and if all goes according to plan we'll have a gas grill too—bring things to share!  I'll also bring a blue tarp to lay out on the grass.  The 16:30 block at this park isn't typically reserved, so we can probably stay as long as we'd like.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #225 on: August 28, 2015, 09:33:09 PM »
glad there's a meetup group, so much easier to stay aware of what's coming up and not miss out!

seeya tomorrow, I'll be there late in the afternoon but still hope to meet many people.
it's an easy ride from my place in north berkeley.

AndHigherStill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • And Higher Still
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2015, 12:30:48 AM »
~20 attendees, perfect weather, good food, and lots of great discussion!  Strawberry Creek Park was an awesome location—running water, charcoal grill, picnic tables, shade, inexpensive to reserve, close to BART—and I'd be up for making the BAMMM East Bay BBQ a regular thing.

(Barbie birthday party in the background was, sadly, unrelated)

I was skeptical about meetup.com as a platform, but it's actually pretty slick.  I'll continue to advertise events on here, the BAMMM page, the email list, Google Plus, and with #BayAreaMMM on Twitter, but I highly recommend joining the Meetup group for event notifications.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:37:49 AM by AndHigherStill »

dtl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2015, 10:06:10 AM »
I'm sad I missed it but I did join the meet up group.

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: September 01, 2015, 11:51:32 AM »
Can't believe I missed this!  I live a few blocks away! (I haven't read this thread for awhile).  If anyone wants to do informal Berkeley coffee meetings, I'm up for it.

psyclotr0n

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: September 03, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »
Well it only took me a few months to find this forum, guess I need to work on my badassity.

Live in the Mission/SF, down to gather anywhere! Well, almost anywhere...

JonyMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: September 05, 2015, 02:56:22 PM »
I definitely want to meetup as well. I'll be leaving my big expensive SF apartment in 2 months and I'm looking for a much cheaper solution, so if you guys know something, either in SF or in the East Bay, or are looking for a roommate, let me know.

baystache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2015, 08:51:06 PM »
I want to meet up too. I have had it with lurking this site!

JonyMustache, have you looked into Burlingame, San Bruno, South SF? Caltrain has regular stops along this route and you could get yourself to work much faster than if you drove! Depends on the "last mile" between the station and your home/work.

When is the next meetup?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #232 on: September 09, 2015, 04:52:41 AM »
I'll be in Bay Area Nov 10- 16, want to meet up then? I'm in Campbell, but could hop on light rail / train to meet-up.  Hmmm I'll think about a spot.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #233 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
I'll be in Bay Area Nov 10- 16, want to meet up then? I'm in Campbell, but could hop on light rail / train to meet-up.  Hmmm I'll think about a spot.

I'd be game for a meetup then. In Campbell would work for me, or somewhere along either light rail or one the bike trails would probably be good for a lot of people.

How about Del Monte Park? It's along the Los Gatos Creek Trail, I think in walking distance of some light rail stops, and has street parking (correct me if I'm wrong about light rail access).
It's also so new that it doesn't show up on Google Maps

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: September 09, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
I live in SF.  I'll be interested in a meet-up provided the venue is accessible by public transportation as I don't have a car.

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #235 on: September 09, 2015, 09:07:16 PM »

I'd be game for a meetup then. In Campbell would work for me, or somewhere along either light rail or one the bike trails would probably be good for a lot of people.

How about Del Monte Park? It's along the Los Gatos Creek Trail, I think in walking distance of some light rail stops, and has street parking (correct me if I'm wrong about light rail access).
It's also so new that it doesn't show up on Google Maps

I work near 880/237 and live in Fremont, so a weeknight would work best for me.  Either way, I would need to be a car clown to get there!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »
Hi everybody!  Just joined the meetup group.  Campbell in Nov sounds good, too!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2015, 12:27:32 AM »
How about Thursday, November 12 ... 5:30 to 8pm? 

I propose we meet at Campbell Park - mainly because there's parking, picnic tables, and shade.  It's accessible via light rail too. Plus, I've been living abroad for three years and Campbell Park is 'home' to me.  So since we're in the deliberation phase I'll go ahead and elbow in and grab the helm.

Let's do pot-luck?  I can apply for a permit so we can bring beer ... mmm ... beer. 

What do y'all think?

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #238 on: September 11, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »
Sounds great to me!  Thanks for putting all of this together everyone.

KS

• Stubble
« Reply #239 on: September 11, 2015, 11:14:44 AM »

I propose we meet at Campbell Park - mainly because there's parking, picnic tables, and shade.  It's accessible via light rail too. Plus, I've been living abroad for three years and Campbell Park is 'home' to me.  So since we're in the deliberation phase I'll go ahead and elbow in and grab the helm.

Let's do pot-luck?  I can apply for a permit so we can bring beer ... mmm ... beer. 

What do y'all think?

Ooh fun! I'd love to join but baby KS should be arriving sometime shortly before then so I may not be functional enough to leave the house yet. But if things are going extremely well and we're getting stir crazy being at home there's a slight chance I'd make it out!

wynr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »
Sounds good, but I don't think we need to worry about shade, as by 5:30 it will be getting dark.  Can we get a place with a fire pit?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2015, 01:50:04 PM »

What do y'all think?

Sounds good. We should be in. If it's a Thursday we might just straggle in a little later depending on when we finish work and all that.

Thanks for the initiative. Since we decided on a date and location should we start up a separate thread for the meetup and logistics?

Conceptual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #242 on: September 19, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »
Anyone interested in organizing another Bay Area meetup?

SassyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Building an international FIRE!
« Reply #243 on: September 27, 2015, 08:24:59 AM »

I'm in!! Was sad to miss the August meet-up. Looking forward to meeting fellow BAMMM peeps. Could it be posted on the BAMMM website as well?

http://bammm.andhigherstill.com/

And/or the Google Group?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/bay-area-mustachians

Just a thought on the time/location... Nov. 12 from 5:30-8 might be a bit dark and chilly that time of year. Sunset will be around 5pm. I suggest we consider some kind of indoor location. I'm not so familiar with Campbell, or I'd make some suggestions.

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #244 on: September 27, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
I'm interested, in south San Jose so somewhere in Campbell would work for me. I agree if we are meeting at night in Nov we would need something indoors.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
I'm interested, in south San Jose so somewhere in Campbell would work for me. I agree if we are meeting at night in Nov we would need something indoors.

See, this is what living on the equator does to a kid: I've forgotten to account for seasons!

Yeah- let's come up with a different time / place.  I'd offer my house but, well, it's being rented out. I doubt our tenants would appreciate me inviting guests over.

michaelrecycles

• Stubble
« Reply #246 on: October 13, 2015, 10:31:36 PM »
Just a heads up to the larger SF Bay Area group -

We've started a thread for nearby folks in the Monterey Bay area. So far the responses have centered near Santa Cruz, and a small group of us is meeting for the first time there in a couple weekends on October 24.

kimble95050

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2015, 08:43:16 AM »
Hey Guys!

I just started reading MMM within the last few weeks but I love it.  Can I join in the next meetup group in the south bay?  I live in Santa Clara.

Also, I've never posted in a forum before, so this is totally new to me.  I know!  Been living in the bay since 2007, it's crazy this is my first post ever.

Let me know :)

-Kimberly

See, this is what living on the equator does to a kid: I've forgotten to account for seasons!

Yeah- let's come up with a different time / place.  I'd offer my house but, well, it's being rented out. I doubt our tenants would appreciate me inviting guests over.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2015, 09:23:21 AM »
Hey Guys!

I just started reading MMM within the last few weeks but I love it.  Can I join in the next meetup group in the south bay?  I live in Santa Clara.

Also, I've never posted in a forum before, so this is totally new to me.  I know!  Been living in the bay since 2007, it's crazy this is my first post ever.

Let me know :)

-Kimberly

Welcome!

myamnesia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2015, 12:30:41 PM »
Hi,

Is anyone in the north bay, I'm new to MMM and the forum too, but would love to be involved in a get together of like minded PF peeps!