Author Topic: Seattle Travel: Feb 25, 2017  (Read 40574 times)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
Re: Seattle Travel: Feb 25, 2017
« Reply #150 on: February 17, 2017, 08:58:34 AM »
Yippee!!!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 17, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
Quick update since I've had multiple people ask: yes there is still room next Friday.

Right now my spreadsheet shows 12 confirmed attendees. I have not responded to every PM, but unless I respond saying we are out of space, everyone who messages me is considered confirmed.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2017, 05:08:53 PM »
I've been thinking about the Seattle trip and am getting a bit nervous about going through US customs, especially given the current political climate plus having a non-white name (I'm white).
So related to that, can someone who is American and going to Seattle PM me their real first and last name?

I'm anticipating their questions:
Q: reason for trip?
A: sightseeing
Q: alone?
A: Yes = suspicion of lying and illegal activity, plus it is lying
A: No, I'm meeting some people
Q: what people?
A: Umm, internet friends. I don't know their names and I've never met them

Now that is even more suspicious. And I get detained because they think I'm part of some illegal gathering.
But if I'm truthfully saying I'm meeting my friend, first name, from blank, I think that would arouse less suspicion.

Hopefully this is overthinking on my part but honestly if the tickets hadn't already been booked I'd probably avoid the US for Trump's entire term.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
Stop scaring Jon Snow, KMMK! He's already skittish.

JON IT'LL BE FINE.

I could give you my real name, but saying you're going to Seattle to meet your friend who lives in New York miiight not be the best idea. Any local want to help out the Canadians?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
I can give Canadiens my name and address, sin e I live in Seattle. Just send me a PM.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2017, 06:03:15 PM »
I'm sorry our ridiculous president has you worried, KMMK.  *grumble grumble, clenches fists* I'll send my name in case, but I live in Oregon.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2017, 06:12:29 PM »
I can give Canadiens my name and address, sin e I live in Seattle. Just send me a PM.

Perfect! Thanks.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2017, 09:38:31 PM »

JON IT'LL BE FINE.

I could give you my real name, but saying you're going to Seattle to meet your friend who lives in New York miiight not be the best idea. Any local want to help out the Canadians?
I would pay good money to stand at the border crossing just to hear all the Canadians say they're going to the US to visit their imaginary friend Monkey Jenga.

And we all met on a forum started by one guy but don't worry "it's not a real cult ".

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2017, 10:12:10 PM »
Not finding the current border-banter particularly enjoyable.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2017, 10:57:29 PM »
I'm totally stoked to jump into the fray next weekend.

Jon, crossing the border is as easy as it's ever been. I crossed twice this past week at the Peace Arch border crossing on I-5.

Really, there is nothing to be worried about. Nothing has changed.

Anything I should be prepped for for next weekend?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: February 20, 2017, 06:38:30 AM »

JON IT'LL BE FINE.

I would pay good money to stand at the border crossing just to hear all the Canadians say they're going to the US to visit their imaginary friend Monkey Jenga.

Yes, I know it does sound crazy doesn't it.   If I get questioned, I will just tell the truth as strange as it sounds.   I am going to a meet up with people I've met over the internet.   :0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:43:36 AM by pachnik »

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
I have not crossed the border in years, but I can't imagine they get that nosy...if you just say you are meeting up with friends, do they REALLY ask for names and addresses??? Or how you met, or how long you've known them??? That seems crazy. Especially where you're only coming for the weekend. I can see if you have a six month stay planned, they might want some details, but for four days?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 20, 2017, 09:13:06 AM »
Just say you're going to an investor meetup and give the name of your hotel. That should be plenty. Border agents are trained to look for inconsistent answers, not pass judgement on the actual details of your trip. They couldn't care less whether you're going to meet aunt Nancy or going to a furry convention. Never try to make up a story.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: February 20, 2017, 09:14:32 AM »
I have not crossed the border in years, but I can't imagine they get that nosy...if you just say you are meeting up with friends, do they REALLY ask for names and addresses??? Or how you met, or how long you've known them??? That seems crazy. Especially where you're only coming for the weekend. I can see if you have a six month stay planned, they might want some details, but for four days?

It is unlikely that they will ask for details beyond reason for trip but it is my nature to be prepared for all possibilities no matter how remote. And I've found the US guards at Canadian airports to be scary enough in the past. Now that new Trump-fear directives can happen at anytime I'm more wary.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »

It is unlikely that they will ask for details beyond reason for trip but it is my nature to be prepared for all possibilities no matter how remote. And I've found the US guards at Canadian airports to be scary enough in the past. Now that new Trump-fear directives can happen at anytime I'm more wary.

Scary? The border and customs officers are just people doing their job. Drive up to the border, and start answering their questions. You're going to Seattle to meet a bunch of friends that you met on the internet on a forum called Mr.MoneyMustache. They literally don't care about you.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2017, 09:30:04 AM »
Do we all get secret mustache decoder rings at this meetup? :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 20, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
I actually got grilled more entering Canada this summer than I ever have at a border crossing.  The stricken look on my face when he asked what gifts I was bringing my hosts and I said nothing as I realized that I had forgotten to get something to bring them might have helped, or not.  He did ask how I knew the people I was visiting.  He did not ask their names, just where they were.  In my case, they are snowbirds I met when they were here in Phoenix.  Again, this was while ENTERING Canada.  It was simple going to and from Honduras by comparison.  However, as I was getting more and more confused by why he was asking so many questions which had never happened before to me, he suddenly smiled and wished me a good visit.  I came in via the ferry from Seattle, if that matters.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #167 on: February 20, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
Do we all get secret mustache decoder rings at this meetup? :)

THOSE ARE AWESOME!

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2017, 02:20:59 AM »
I'm looking forward to joining for the casual social day at Paul der Krake's apartment building. Thank you for offering your space! I will send a PM.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »
Does anyone have ideas for parking? The parking at the hotel I'll be at is $45 a day. That's more than I want to spend, of course, but I know that parking in downtown Seattle is not going to be cheap in general.

Are we bringing food for a potluck lunch at Paul's club house? That's the general plan?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2017, 10:05:31 AM »
Does anyone have ideas for parking? The parking at the hotel I'll be at is $45 a day. That's more than I want to spend, of course, but I know that parking in downtown Seattle is not going to be cheap in general.

Are we bringing food for a potluck lunch at Paul's club house? That's the general plan?

My plan is to bring some guac, chips, and salsa.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »

Park up north, in the residential area, like View Ridge, Maple Leaf, Ravenna. Then take the bus south. The bus costs $5.50 per round trip.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »

$45? That's a bargain compared to what my hotel wants from me. :)

I am driving down to Seattle on Thursday. I will attempt to miss out on the worst of the Seattle rush hour (it eventually ends, right?) and be coming into the city around 11:00am. And because it has featured in each of my previous Seattle Meetups, and I just love the place, I'm going to stop at Green Lake for a loop around the trail. I know there are a few forum members fairly close by so if you want to join me that would be most welcome. Once done here, into downtown to check into my hotel...and ready to get things started. :)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2017, 10:27:08 AM »
What kind of chips are you bringing me, Snow? your choices are: Ketchup, or All Dressed. Or, if you really want to get in good, bring me both.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
PM with address/contact info sent.

If you have not received a PM from me confirming your attendance on Friday, then contact me while there is still room. As of now we have 18 attendees, with a hard limit of 25 (fire safety blablabla).

Please do not show up unannounced or wait until the last minute, or I may have to turn you away.

Regarding parking: my apartment building offers $15/day guest parking in their secure garage. Let me know if that's something you might be interested in and I can inquire further.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2017, 10:59:28 AM »
I've had a heckuva time getting into the US, on multiple occasions spanning 23 years—detained multiple times, denied once, all pre-current era. This is with all correct paperwork, honesty, no record of any kind, zero drugs, etc. There are other reasons some folks are sometimes denied; the concerns held by those facing the crossing are valid. Highly likely the Canadian forum people will get in, but after my awful experiences I would always have a back up plan (a way to get home from the border if needed, etc). I too am more concerned now.

tl;dr: KMMK, Jon_Snow, etc, you're not crazy! Have a back-up plan in case needed, and otherwise enjoy :)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2017, 11:13:12 AM »
Paul, am I on the list? And I assumed Meepsy too but maybe she's not taking off work? Anyway send me the info please in case I'm going by myself.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:53 AM »
Paul, am I on the list? And I assumed Meepsy too but maybe she's not taking off work? Anyway send me the info please in case I'm going by myself.
I didn't get word from either of you, so you were not included in the 18. Adding you (MJ) now. Holler when you know whether Meepsy is coming or not.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
I didn't get word from either of you, so you were not included in the 18. Adding you (MJ) now. Holler when you know whether Meepsy is coming or not.

Meepsy must remain in the Fortress of Solitude until 1600 on Friday, and sadly will not be able to attend. But I'll be meeting you for the nighttime shenanigans.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
What part of Guest of Honor don't you understand Paul?? Sheesh. ;)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #180 on: February 21, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »
I've had a heckuva time getting into the US, on multiple occasions spanning 23 years—detained multiple times, denied once, all pre-current era. This is with all correct paperwork, honesty, no record of any kind, zero drugs, etc. There are other reasons some folks are sometimes denied; the concerns held by those facing the crossing are valid. Highly likely the Canadian forum people will get in, but after my awful experiences I would always have a back up plan (a way to get home from the border if needed, etc). I too am more concerned now.

tl;dr: KMMK, Jon_Snow, etc, you're not crazy! Have a back-up plan in case needed, and otherwise enjoy :)

Thanks for the validation, Joon. I do think it will be fine, and back-up plan is just a cab from the airport, or taking DH's car when he gets to work, I guess. (He works at the airport and will get there a few hours after I'll be through security.)
I have many levels of anxiety right now regarding this trip; not everyone gets this.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #181 on: February 21, 2017, 12:29:16 PM »
KMMK, have you gotten enough people's real life info to feel a bit more comfortable, or would you like more? I didn't offer myself up before because several others saw that ahead of me, but I think your concern is valid. Even if not, it's still your concern and telling you it's not valid isn't helpful. :)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #182 on: February 21, 2017, 12:36:03 PM »
KMMK, have you gotten enough people's real life info to feel a bit more comfortable, or would you like more? I didn't offer myself up before because several others saw that ahead of me, but I think your concern is valid. Even if not, it's still your concern and telling you it's not valid isn't helpful. :)

I'm good now. But thanks for the offer. I'm as prepared as is reasonably possible now. Whatever happens happens. Looking forward to meeting everyone, though I'm a little concerned about my anxiety and introversion. But I'll manage. I can always get alone time when I need to.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #183 on: February 21, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
I'm high on anxiety and mid range introspective. It'll all be good. :)

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: February 21, 2017, 02:48:07 PM »
The Green Lake Park and Ride offers free 48 hour parking next to a bus stop which will get you downtown. If you then return to the lot and move your car to a different location in the park and ride, you should be able to park there beyond 48 hours. Most other park and rides offer the same deal. Google Maps will give you other options if you're coming from a direction other than North.

I am driving down to Seattle on Thursday. I will attempt to miss out on the worst of the Seattle rush hour (it eventually ends, right?) and be coming into the city around 11:00am. And because it has featured in each of my previous Seattle Meetups, and I just love the place, I'm going to stop at Green Lake for a loop around the trail. I know there are a few forum members fairly close by so if you want to join me that would be most welcome. Once done here, into downtown to check into my hotel...and ready to get things started. :)

I am close to Green Lake and would like to join a walk. Keep me updated on details like final time and start location?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #185 on: February 21, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »
I am close to Green Lake and would like to join a walk. Keep me updated on details like final time and start location?

Great! I'll update here or PM you with more specifics as we get closer to Thursday, but I'm aiming to be at the lake between 11 and noon. The bleachers at the rowing center have worked well for me as a meeting place before (you just have to watch out for uniformed stalkers of tall men).

Thanks for the parking tips too.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #186 on: February 21, 2017, 04:45:25 PM »
(you just have to watch out for uniformed stalkers of tall men)

I will cut you, Stark. Be ye warned...

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: February 22, 2017, 01:05:33 PM »
And the forums are back?  I've been a bit concerned as I could not access them for quite awhile.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #188 on: February 22, 2017, 01:23:29 PM »
its amazing how crazy one can get with the forums down. LOL. all I knew, go to SBUX 40th floor on Thur @4 :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #189 on: February 22, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
What part of Guest of Honor don't you understand Paul?? Sheesh. ;)

Wait a min.. Its all about YOU?..I thought it was all about ME...:)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #190 on: February 22, 2017, 02:02:55 PM »
its amazing how crazy one can get with the forums down. LOL. all I knew, go to SBUX 40th floor on Thur @4 :)

That is all you need to know, Chippewa!  I was a bit worried to with the forum down before the Seattle meet up. 
I'll see you guys on Friday.  Have fun tomorrow!
Pachnik

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
I'll be joining in for the Friday libations at whatever bar is settled on. My schedule this week does not allow me to join in much else. Looking forward to seeing familiar faces and putting a face to a forum name for everyone else!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
Glen, and anyone else who doesn't know how to contact me off-forum, please PM me your email or phone#. Just in case.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2017, 11:48:47 PM »
Green Lake...noon-ish tomorrow (Feb 23)...rowing club bleachers. Walking in a BIG circle...chatting.

I'll be wearing a red "CANADA" toque (not sure they use that term in the U.S....a knitted cap perhaps? Help a guy out here)

Might have a VIP with me too. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 12:00:35 AM by Jon_Snow »

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2017, 12:03:11 AM »
Green Lake...noon-ish tomorrow (Feb 23)...rowing club bleachers. Walking in a BIG circle...chatting.

I'll be wearing a red "CANADA" toque (not sure they use that term in the U.S....a knitted cap perhaps? Help a guy out here)

Is that the south end of the lake? If work allows, I'll drop by.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2017, 01:00:04 AM »

Make sure you are at least 3 paces behind MJ while doing the "We're not worthy" wave...:)

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
A what? Ah, like the beanie I am bringing. Lol

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2017, 08:16:03 AM »

Errrrrrrgh, so jealous. :(

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »

Errrrrrrgh, so jealous. :(

This isn't a joke, y'all. She moped about it all last night. This morning, right before she went out the door, she turned to me and grumped, "HAVE FUN WITH ALL MY FRIENDS."

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:03 AM »
Damnit. 1 hour to pack and I've already lost my US cash money, which I found and put aside just last week. I do have my passport at least.