Author Topic: Seattle Travel: Feb 25, 2017  (Read 40560 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: Seattle Travel: Feb 25, 2017
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »
Hi guys,

I am planning on coming up from the deep South (Corvallis) on the Saturday am sometime. Friday would be fun but is not fair on the DW.

Still thinking about the PDX thing, but I'll probably make an appearance.. Not sure what I'd do for the potluck though as I will be in Seattle the day before.. Hmm.

Looking forward to it seeing you all.

If anyone wants a ride from said "deep South" let me know.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2017, 12:24:48 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you again, EFB!!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you again, EFB!!

You too 94..:)

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2017, 10:12:15 PM »
Rats. I won't be able to make it on Saturday. I'm going to shoot for the meetup on Friday instead.

Lhamo, is a meetup at the Double J Saloon still the plan? If there's a get-together earlier in the day, I may be able to make that, too.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
It looks like I need to book a hotel room pronto. Since it doesn't look like I'll be able to stay around for the Saturday festivities that means I'm looking to get a hotel room for either Thursday or Friday night. Suggestions as to which would be better? (Lhamo, I'm mostly looking at you as I regard you as our fearless leader in this enterprise...sorry) ;)

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2017, 01:13:21 PM »
It looks like I need to book a hotel room pronto. Since it doesn't look like I'll be able to stay around for the Saturday festivities that means I'm looking to get a hotel room for either Thursday or Friday night. Suggestions as to which would be better? (Lhamo, I'm mostly looking at you as I regard you as our fearless leader in this enterprise...sorry) ;)
94 and I get in Thursday afternoon, so I vote BOTH. If it can be only one, may it be the Highlander. probably go with Friday since it seems like more stuff is going on that day.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2017, 01:14:46 PM »
Both. We need extensive island travel planning time and Rosie picture time.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2017, 01:31:02 PM »
You both make compelling cases...but complicating matters is the fact that I'm currently engaged in my very first UFM (uber/ultra frugal month). When I decided to do it I thought Seattle wasn't going to happen...so now...well, let's just say that TWO nights in a hotel will really hurt my success in this endeavor. I hate failure. Gah...probably worth it though. If it is to be one...leaning toward Friday.

The hotel I'm targeting is sort of halfway between Lhamo's hood and Green Lake....because Green Lake is wonderful...Lhamo too. :)

And a heads up...anyone who wants to jog around Green Lake with me...bring your gear. (lookin' at you EFB)

Both. We need extensive island travel planning time and Rosie picture time.

I think you've seen them all MJ.

(not really. not even close)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2017, 01:42:17 PM »
There's room next to me on Meepsy's floor. Or, you know, someone else probably has a guest room.

Hey! Anyone still with a spare room want to put up Snow so we can get him for longer?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2017, 01:52:57 PM »
JS--selfishly, my preference would be Friday night, but yeah, you should really stay both Thursday and Friday nights.  :)

Jessa and I will be taking over staying at the Westin.  Because we are classy.

Whenever/wherever you stay, I'm just thrilled that you will be able to join us!!  Woo hoo!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
I am too! This just keeps getting better and better!! I need to Bracken_Joy to tell me what I'm doing though.  Oh, Haaaaaaappy Plant, where are you....? Fine, I guess I'll just use Facebook like a civilized person. Calling out across the whole forum is kind of rude.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
I am too! This just keeps getting better and better!! I need to Bracken_Joy to tell me what I'm doing though.  Oh, Haaaaaaappy Plant, where are you....? Fine, I guess I'll just use Facebook like a civilized person. Calling out across the whole forum is kind of rude.

Hahah I am here, fear not.

It depends on how many days Meepsy wants me on her floor. Were you thinking of going up Friday? And then you want to go back Saturday morning, right? So Let's see... I could conceivably ride up with you Friday, then down to Portland with Meepsy and MJ on Sunday, where SirB will meet us at the meetup and I can ride home with him.

I need Meeps, MJ, and Freckles to all weigh in here.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2017, 02:07:07 PM »
Yes, Friday was my plan. For my part in it, that sounds fine by me.

(I like how you were *right there* no need for other communication platforms to be involved.)  :D

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
I'm fine wth whatever. And I didn't know SirB was coming to the meetup! Whoo!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »

It depends on how many days Meepsy wants me on her floor. Were you thinking of going up Friday? And then you want to go back Saturday morning, right? So Let's see... I could conceivably ride up with you Friday, then down to Portland with Meepsy and MJ on Sunday, where SirB will meet us at the meetup and I can ride home with him.

It's all fine with me. I have a floor, and I'm willing to share. I have a wee car, but you and MJ will both fit. I won't care about being squashed, because I will be driving, because both you and MJ are sadly lacking in necessary life skills.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2017, 02:21:25 PM »
I just noticed a little wrinkle in your plan, B_J. Or maybe not? How are you getting to Portland on Friday? If you drive yourself to my place then you won't be able to ride home with Sir B on Sunday, unless you're leaving your truck at my house until I don't know when. I imagine you want your truck to live in your town instead of mine.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2017, 02:26:15 PM »
I just noticed a little wrinkle in your plan, B_J. Or maybe not? How are you getting to Portland on Friday? If you drive yourself to my place then you won't be able to ride home with Sir B on Sunday, unless you're leaving your truck at my house until I don't know when. I imagine you want your truck to live in your town instead of mine.

I left that part out. SirB will give me a ride up. Works out with his work/class schedule, he can come home Th and drive back up Fri.

Either way there will be lots of driving about, lol.

It's all fine with me. I have a floor, and I'm willing to share. I have a wee car, but you and MJ will both fit. I won't care about being squashed, because I will be driving, because both you and MJ are sadly lacking in necessary life skills.

HEY. I *can* drive. I will have you know I just one shot parallel parked my truck with canopy ON in a spot scarcely larger than the truck itself, in the dark last night. So... nyeh.

I just hate driving in Seattle. And drives with other people are more fun.

Yes, Friday was my plan. For my part in it, that sounds fine by me.

(I like how you were *right there* no need for other communication platforms to be involved.)  :D

I don't think anyone has ever questioned that I spend too much time around these parts =P

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »
You can't drive a stick.

Well....my kind of stick. You seem pretty handy with a specific kind, where I'd be hopeless.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
You can't drive a stick.

Well....my kind of stick. You seem pretty handy with a specific kind, where I'd be hopeless.

Actually, it turns out I could, in fact, drive a stick. Uh, the first kind. Pleading the 5th on the second kind. But yeah, after we bought the new car, SirB had a chance to have me take the TDI around the neighborhood. And uh... I definitely got it on my first try, remembered just fine.

Still don't think I'd be comfortable driving YOUR dear sweet precious Rosie. Especially because I've heard the noise those little things can put out. Impressive, and terrifying.

Also, i think we've gotten a *touch* off topic. Except perhaps to warn people of the sort of humans who will be attending ;)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2017, 02:59:23 PM »
I realize I'm missing the boat, but I'll be in Portland the 21st and 22nd for work.  I should have quite a bit of free time on the 21st if anyone is around and wants to meetup.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
Since we're so off topic anyway, hey SS, did I tell you my husband bought a Mini Cooper? An S no less, AND convertible. So there's that. I don't drive it either, BJ, and not because I don't know my way around stick. Feel free to decide which definition of "stick" I'm referring to for yourself.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2017, 03:07:27 PM »
Cromacster, do you have a Facebook account? We Portlanders have a meetup group on Facebook so we can schedule stuff.  We also have a Portland meetup thread, although we don't do our scheduling there. http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/willamette-valley-mustachians-(oregon)/

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Hi Freckles, yes I do have a FB account.  Would be cool to meet some of the forumers.  In my new position I will be traveling to Portland about once a month.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »
Cool!  I send you a PM.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2017, 05:02:29 PM »
I should remind folks that the Green Tortoise Hostel is only $35/night.  If money is the only thing keeping someone from staying 2 nights.  Not as cheap as a friend's floor, granted.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
I can offer Jon Snow a place to crash (as long as you are not allergic to dogs :) ). PM me. The bonus is I'm about a mile or so from lhamo.

Can't promise my couch is that comfortable (Maybe someone else in area has air mattress?), but the price is right. [I have another friend in town that week (not of MMM ilk), so I was waiting to offer up my place. Since that friend found lodging elsewhere and was not charmed by the promise of a sort-of-couch full of dog fur, I now feel safe offering...]

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2017, 01:07:52 AM »
OK I have been informed I can come up Friday morning and stay Friday and Saturday night... We are doing something Sat evening right??

Anyway.. If anyone has a place (floor)  I can crash (dogs/cat/aardvarks OK).. I can bring my own mat/sleeping bag.. FIFOFUM???

Would up up for a run (and probably a damn good thrashing from JS) on the Friday.

This sounds like fun..:)

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2017, 02:10:20 AM »
Hi all. I live in Seattle proper and I do have a real guest room with a real bed. I would be happy to offer it to a person whose posts I've seen and who seems generally sane.  :)

Previously, I hesitated to make this offer here, because I assume that many forumers think of me as an axe-wielding male-hating crazy person. But I decided to step up after seeing the back-and-forth in the past couple of days, because I'm sure it will be a fun time.

Feel free to message me if this seems like a workable offer.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2017, 02:31:22 AM »
Hi all. I live in Seattle proper and I do have a real guest room with a real bed. I would be happy to offer it to a person whose posts I've seen and who seems generally sane.  :)

Previously, I hesitated to make this offer here, because I assume that many forumers think of me as an axe-wielding male-hating crazy person. But I decided to step up after seeing the back-and-forth in the past couple of days, because I'm sure it will be a fun time.

Sane?.. OK that counts me out then.... But I did sit next to you at the last meetup so whatever our dysfunction is,  I assume it roughly similar..:)

But seriously I'll take the offer.. floor is fine by me if you want to accomodate more than one

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
OK I have secured accommodation with FIFOfum.. Thankyou sir!

I will see you all on Friday....Yay..:)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
A week from Friday?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
I assume you will take money from those of us showing up empty handed?

Thanks so much for setting this up..:)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2017, 03:15:54 PM »
I will be there- might even bring Mrs Krake along. But we're uncultured savages and can sit on the floor.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
I have to work on 2/24. Not sure when I'll be given liberty, but I'm hoping it will be prior to 1400. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2017, 04:31:32 PM »
I assume you will take money from those of us showing up empty handed?

Thanks so much for setting this up..:)

Booze, dude! Do they not have beer in Oregon?

Oh yeah, that..:)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »
YAY!!!! This is going to be fun. I will indeed be there on the 24th. lhamo, which bus would I take from downtown? I'll just bus over after work.

I would offer a place to stay, but...oh god, our living situation. You don't want that, trust me.

Just to be sure, Saturday will be meeting up for Pike Place and the park downtown with the creepy giant head statue, correct? Do we have a timeline for that yet? I'll need to figure out bus stuff for the day.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2017, 10:28:42 PM »
Just to be sure, Saturday will be meeting up for Pike Place and the park downtown with the creepy giant head statue, correct? Do we have a timeline for that yet? I'll need to figure out bus stuff for the day.

Side note: I was just walking through the park this evening, and I have to say the head statue looks pretty amazing when lit up at night.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2017, 12:17:20 AM »

Sane?.. OK that counts me out then.... But I did sit next to you at the last meetup so whatever our dysfunction is,  I assume it roughly similar..:)

But seriously I'll take the offer.. floor is fine by me if you want to accomodate more than one

To be clear, yes I have met ExFB, and he is pretty sane.  I will not stand for this false modesty.  :)

I'm going to start a list of the people I THINK are planning to come to my place to hang out during the day on 2/24, so that I can PM you all my address/phone number in advance.

[...]

Cressida (?)

I will try to scoot out of work early. Will appreciate address message.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2017, 10:06:22 AM »
Just checking in here as a definite yes on the Friday stuff. 

I probably won't be able to get to your home until just after lunch - around 1 or 2.  I will be bringing two biggish bags of 'all-dressed' potato chips and two of ketchup chips + assorted Cdn. chocolate. 

I can also sit on the floor.   :)  Thanks lhamo for putting this all together!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:22:07 AM by pachnik »

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:03 AM »
I like floor sitting too. It makes me more relaxed in social situations.
Thanks pachnik for doing Canadian food transport. I can fit only so much in my carry on bag.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
I like floor sitting too. It makes me more relaxed in social situations.
Thanks pachnik for doing Canadian food transport. I can fit only so much in my carry on bag.

No worries.  I am driving over so it's no problem.  Plus chips could get crushed in your luggage.  :(   

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
Since I am officially the guest of honor, I'd like to request that people don't bring a ton of chocolate. Gifts for individual people are fine, so they can experience your exotic foreign candy, but I will destroy a communal chocolate pile, I will end up feeling nauseated, and I will blame Canada.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2017, 12:26:12 PM »
Since I am officially the guest of honor, I'd like to request that people don't bring a ton of chocolate. Gifts for individual people are fine, so they can experience your exotic foreign candy, but I will destroy a communal chocolate pile, I will end up feeling nauseated, and I will blame Canada.

Dear MJ,
I read your post out loud to my husband and we both laughed about blaming Canada!!!   
I am bringing Canadian potato chips (made on the prairie in Winnipeg, Manitoba) for the communal pile.  And some special request chocolate gifts for our hostess, lhamo.   (read:  Mars bars + Purdy's)

Looking forward to the 24th, hopefully there won't be a lot of Canada-blaming.  Some might be okay though and maybe kind of fun!  :)
Pachnik

PS  And I want to bring back some cheap wine bought in a grocery store cos we can't buy alcohol in grocery stores yet.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:45:27 PM by pachnik »

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »

Not if I beat you to it >:)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2017, 02:33:20 PM »
If everyone insists on sitting on the floor, I'll take a chair.

Feel free to blame everything that goes wrong on me, as a token foreigner I am used to it.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
If everyone insists on sitting on the floor, I'll take a chair.

Feel free to blame everything that goes wrong on me, as a token foreigner I am used to it.

OK Paul and I will start a "foreigner's corner.. on chairs"..

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
I really really *want* to be Canadian, so can I sit in the foreigners' chairs too?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2017, 05:53:43 PM »
I really really *want* to be Canadian, so can I sit in the foreigners' chairs too?

I'll make you a Traitor's Throne. ;)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2017, 06:32:22 PM »
YAY!!!! This is going to be fun. I will indeed be there on the 24th. lhamo, which bus would I take from downtown? I'll just bus over after work.

I would offer a place to stay, but...oh god, our living situation. You don't want that, trust me.

The Metro 41 or Community Transit 522 both work-- Metro is cheaper, I think (one zone)  What time do you get off work?  If coming to my place (before 4), get off at 130th by Fred Meyer.   If going to the Double J (after 4), I think the 125th stop is slightly closer.

Can't see the earlier post but I THINK my original plan was to have people converge at the big red statue in the Sculpture Park where there are a bunch of chairs to sit in around 11.   We can then walk up the trail toward Lower QA and circle back to the Center House for lunch (brownbagging is acceptable there).   If people want to do Pike Place before or after, that works -- I'll probably need to head home after lunch to make sure my kids get dinner (and go into an introvert coma after 2 full days of socializing....)

Awesome. I'm done with work at 1:00, and will check the bus schedule this week.

On Saturday the Demon Child will be coming with me. You've been warned. :) Although, she loves chaos and people so she should be reasonably well-behaved. I think.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2017, 06:49:17 PM »

I'll make you a Traitor's Throne. ;)

Score!