Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 401749 times)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
Re: Seattle area meet up
« Reply #950 on: July 01, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »
Hey Seattle party people! I'm heading your way the first week of August. Anyone up for a meetup Aug 3-4? I also want to get some hiking in, so if you're up for a day hike between Aug 1-5, PM me! I'm happy to throw in for gas money if a car is needed.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #951 on: July 01, 2019, 06:11:15 PM »
Heck yeah! This sounds like as good an excuse as any to make my way to my first mmm meetup.

If all else fails MJ, let me know and I would be happy to take you on a favorite hike of mine.

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/rattle-snake-ledge

Or

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/grove-of-the-patriarchs

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #952 on: July 01, 2019, 07:11:39 PM »
We're in for a meetup!

We can host (we're up in Lynnwood) or travel down to the city if someone picks a venue.

And definitely in for a hike. Been doing a lot of hiking/camping recently, it's been great! :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #953 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
Hike sounds great!

theMayor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #954 on: July 01, 2019, 08:51:21 PM »
Giddy up for a meet up and hike!

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #955 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:15 PM »
Hey MJ. Glad you're passing through again. I'd definitely be up for a meetup/hike on or about Aug 3.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #956 on: July 06, 2019, 06:59:04 PM »
On the topic of hiking: those without cars might be interested to know that Metro is again offering its "Trailhead Direct" service this summer to a few of the popular hiking destinations (Mount Si, Mailbox, etc...): https://trailheaddirect.org/

I've used it a few times this year, and it's been great. The only downside is that it's only available on weekends (which means that the bus and trails tend to be full of people those days).

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #957 on: July 07, 2019, 11:57:43 AM »
Count me in for meet-up and/or hiking around when you visit, MJ.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #958 on: July 20, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »
We have a location and a date for the first meetup! Evening of July 31st, near Lake Union Park. Time TBD, will announce here once confirmed. PM me for the address if you can make it.

Still up for hikes and things on other days! I'll PM the folks who responded about that.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: July 21, 2019, 10:56:17 AM »
We have a location and a date for the first meetup! Evening of July 31st, near Lake Union Park. Time TBD, will announce here once confirmed. PM me for the address if you can make it.

Still up for hikes and things on other days! I'll PM the folks who responded about that.

PTF, unlikely to make this one, but maybe future.

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #960 on: July 22, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »
If anyone is interested in seeing the documentary Playing with FIRE - there's a showing in Lynnwood on Thursday, August 8, 2019 6:30pm–8:15pm.  If you haven't seen the documentary yet, I HIGHLY recommend it! 

https://www.tugg.com/events/playing-with-fire-mifh?fbclid=IwAR1DaL-prSYL2irGvYywCXuxwvYrxooNvORowOIoS-RI6bsKTZ0D9vnfO-0

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #961 on: July 26, 2019, 07:47:23 PM »

Time will be 7 PM! Looking forward to seeing everyone.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #962 on: July 31, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »

See y’all tonight!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #963 on: July 31, 2019, 04:18:55 PM »

See y’all tonight!

Whoohoo!

Also, want to clarify the location for anyone I haven't spoken with already. We are not meeting at the park, we are meeting at someone's apartment near the park. I didn't want to post the address publicly.

If you intend on coming tonight and don't have the address, PM me!

There will be some food, but additional snacks are always welcome. See y'all soon!

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #964 on: August 02, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »
ChooseFI Seattle will be hosting Paul Merriman, founder of the Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy at their meeting on September 28th.  The meeting is open to everyone and totally FREE!

I'm running the event through Eventbrite to help keep track of attendees.  You can get your ticket by registering here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/choose-fi-seattle-meetup-with-paul-merriman-tickets-67671807197

We hope to see you there!

minnie1928

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #965 on: September 23, 2019, 11:21:51 PM »
Just a reminder - our event with Paul Merriman is this upcoming Saturday!

ChooseFI Seattle will be hosting Paul Merriman, founder of the Ultimate Buy and Hold Strategy at their meeting on September 28th.  The meeting is open to everyone and totally FREE!

I'm running the event through Eventbrite to help keep track of attendees.  You can get your ticket by registering here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/choose-fi-seattle-meetup-with-paul-merriman-tickets-67671807197

We hope to see you there!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #966 on: December 28, 2019, 12:06:19 AM »
I'm back! Or will be, for the first couple weeks of January. Who's down for a meetup, maybe the weekend of Jan 11-12? Also up for mid-week hangs/hikes.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #967 on: December 29, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
I'm back! Or will be, for the first couple weeks of January. Who's down for a meetup, maybe the weekend of Jan 11-12? Also up for mid-week hangs/hikes.

I'm game!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #968 on: December 29, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »

I'm game!

Me too. It’d be nice to catch up with y’all.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #969 on: December 29, 2019, 06:21:31 PM »
My partner and I are game. We're trying to get better at meeting other FIRE folks this year :)

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #970 on: December 30, 2019, 09:02:14 AM »
DW and I are available! It will be good to see everyone again. :)

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #971 on: January 01, 2020, 10:16:13 AM »
It'd be great to meet up with you all.  I'll be helping run a swim meet the mornings of 1/11 and 1/12 but could swing afternoon/evening either day!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #972 on: January 01, 2020, 12:20:15 PM »
If the Seahawks win this weekend, my schedule will depend on when they're playing next weekend (yes, I watch the blood sport as a family bonding activity, and I enjoy it :) ).

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #973 on: January 06, 2020, 01:26:06 PM »
If the Seahawks win this weekend, my schedule will depend on when they're playing next weekend (yes, I watch the blood sport as a family bonding activity, and I enjoy it :) ).

Whelp, the results are in: Seahawks 1/12 @ 3:40. So, how does this affect people’s planning? I assume that ARS isn’t the only one that wants to watch the game?

Would an early lunch meetup on the 12th work? Or would a later afternoon on Saturday be better? Venue?

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: January 06, 2020, 09:16:41 PM »
I can do any time. What does everyone else prefer?

ars said they might be able to host up in Lynnwood. Would people be okay with that area?

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #975 on: January 06, 2020, 10:51:49 PM »
Thanks for tentatively offering to host, ARS!

I'll be coming back from Mukilteo towards Seattle both days this weekend so Lynnwood's on the way.  It'd be a tight squeeze on Sunday between a morning event and the Hawks game but I'd give it the old college try.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #976 on: January 06, 2020, 11:48:28 PM »
ars said they might be able to host up in Lynnwood. Would people be okay with that area?

That'd be great for us!

Game night Friday night?

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #977 on: January 07, 2020, 12:55:19 PM »
I might be able to make it to this, depending on when my book club settles on a time. (1/12 for brunch is looking like a contender.)

And MJ, if I can make it I should be able to drive us up to Lynnwood. I even got a shiny new driver's license. :)

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #978 on: January 07, 2020, 09:02:35 PM »
Game night on Friday sounds good.  I could probably get there around 7:15pm or 7:30pm, depending on traffic and where we're meeting.  I'll bring some games but they're 10 year old friendly ones like 7 Wonders, Settlers of Catan, Century Spice Road, Ticket to Ride, etc.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #979 on: January 07, 2020, 09:18:02 PM »
Cool!

Let's say this Friday the 10th, then.

Have dinner before (or feel free to bring something for yourself), then 6:15pm doors will open, come by any time between then and 10pm-ish?

It is in Lynnwood, anyone wanting to come PM me for the exact address (or if you already have it from a previous game night, PM me you're coming so we have a rough headcount for chairs).

We have sodas, but BYOB if you want anything other than that.

Feel free to organize carpools if you know you're near anyone else. And bring any games you have that are fun. :)

@bbates728
@MonkeyJenga
@SisterX
@firemondays
@lhamo
@FiveSigmas
@jingleszheng
@Blunderbuss
@FIFoFum

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #980 on: January 08, 2020, 10:49:20 AM »
Thanks for hosting, ARS!

Is there anyone heading up from downtown Seattle (or nearby) that I could bum a ride from?

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #981 on: January 08, 2020, 11:05:30 AM »
I wish I could go! I have a conference this weekend that has me booked from 7:30 AM on Friday through Sunday at 6 PM, including the evening.

I'll have to catch the next one.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #982 on: January 08, 2020, 11:08:16 AM »
We just saw this and already have plans Friday but hopefully we'll make the next one.  After settling in with our second little guy, we'd like to reconnect with more MMM folks this year.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #983 on: January 08, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »
Appreciate the postings of who can/can't make it. Hosting something in the evening is super easy for us (kids go to bed at 6, then we're free, versus finding a babysitter and driving and finding parking downtown), so if you guys are willing to commute, we're very happy to host, so there will be more for those who can't make it this time. :)

We just saw this and already have plans Friday but hopefully we'll make the next one.  After settling in with our second little guy, we'd like to reconnect with more MMM folks this year.

Ali mentioned she saw you at the Zoo the other day and got to chat for a bit! :)

We should get together soon.

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #984 on: January 08, 2020, 04:21:59 PM »
DW and I will be able to make it. See you all then!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #985 on: January 08, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »
Just pulled out some games. This is gonna be fun!

We got some veggies and hummus, and we have a bunch of Christmas cookies in the freezer we'll pull out to thaw.

We'll have water, sodas, tea, hot chocolate, and Ali is going to make hot butterbeer*!

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Friday!

*If you haven't read Harry Potter, first of all: What?! Spend Friday night doing that instead. Otherwise, you'll probably recognize the name of the drink they have in Hogsmead. Ali and I had some at Universal Studios Harry Potter last year and enjoyed it. It's basically a hot butterscotch drink. Very sweet. She found a knockoff recipe online. We've never tested it, so it will be an experiment!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 07:13:42 PM by arebelspy »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: January 09, 2020, 03:53:21 PM »
Shoot, I'm not flying back to Seattle until Saturday night.  Would love to come to the next one.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #987 on: January 09, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »
Telestrations! Yesss! Any chance mysterium is hiding in there? Someone mentioned it earlier tonight, it sounded fun.

The Bearded Bank Builder

• Stubble
« Reply #988 on: January 10, 2020, 04:41:09 PM »
Won't be able to make this one, but hope to get to a Seattle meetup soon!

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #989 on: January 11, 2020, 01:06:34 AM »
Thank you for hosting us Joe and Ali!  It was truly a pleasure to try out some good board games with some fascinating folks.  While Dicecapades did a number on me, 25 Words or Less was more my speed.

However, remember that time Ali beat us at Wits & Wages single handled while holding a crying six week old?  Yeah, that happened.

@arebelspy - Rolling a die yourself when you have to choose what question someone else gets?  Brilliant!  I'm really happy to have learned that trick!

@SisterX - It was a real pleasure to meet you!  We'll have to meet up at Colman Pool sometime!  I'm still laughing about the 40 Below Club, your legal stache of baleen, and those of us on the Mustachian spectrum.  Amazing job holding the wee one for a good stretch of the night!

@bbates728 - It was nice to meet you even though I got to spend more time with your DW.  Thanks for helping me with my S-words!  Our families should get together sometime... maybe meet at Gene Coulon and walk/bike to El Kiosko?

I didn’t catch everyone’s handles so I’ll use first initials...

K______ - Awesome job with the sit-ups!  Good thing you didn’t roll 20 for pushups.  Could you be any more precise on the games?  😊  Joe mentioned you might be helping plan Camp Mustache / FI Summit?  I'd be interested in trying my signup luck!

S______ - It’s easy to see how you’re winning at the game of life!  It was great playing next to you tonight even though you clobbered me in two of the three games.  I hope you have a great time up here and a safe trip home.  Maybe we'll run into each other sometime in Portland!

S____ - Sorry we didn’t get a chance to mingle much!  Next time!  You did a great job jumping right into the Dicecapades and were an awesome teammate in 25 Words or Less!

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #990 on: January 11, 2020, 07:33:33 PM »
Well meetups in Seattle are now 2 for 2 on being fun events with great conversation. Thanks again @arebelspy for hosting. It was great meeting everyone.

@firemondays definitely! Let me know when you all would be available. Weekends work best, unfortunately. But that will change in a few years :)

Vdabest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #991 on: January 17, 2021, 01:37:04 AM »
@firemondays @eco mom
@arebelspy
@SisterX
@bbates728

So sad my fiancé and I missed this last year! Please let us know about the next one, we just bought the game scrabble to play that we can bring!

Can’t wait for the next Seattle Mustachian meetup! 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #992 on: January 17, 2021, 09:12:34 AM »
So sad my fiancé and I missed this last year! Please let us know about the next one, we just bought the game scrabble to play that we can bring!

Man, I'd totally be up for another meetup, if this COVID stuff wasn't so awful right now.

Post-vaccine, I'm totally down for hosting stuff. :)

Would also be up for an outdoor six-feet apart, masks on meetup in the meantime.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #993 on: January 17, 2021, 12:24:45 PM »
Even though you guys are 250 miles away from me I must say I've had a blast the few times I've come.

The over night deal was my fav.. When was that like 3 years ago?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #994 on: January 17, 2021, 01:32:17 PM »
Even though you guys are 250 miles away from me I must say I've had a blast the few times I've come.

The over night deal was my fav.. When was that like 3 years ago?
The 2017 get together was great fun, indeed.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #995 on: January 20, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »
When we can meet again, I'll come up again.  I had fun.

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #996 on: January 22, 2021, 11:02:24 AM »
Man, I'd totally be up for another meetup, if this COVID stuff wasn't so awful right now.

Post-vaccine, I'm totally down for hosting stuff. :)

Would also be up for an outdoor six-feet apart, masks on meetup in the meantime.

I am down for an outdoor, social distanced meetup. Anyone else?

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #997 on: January 22, 2021, 09:08:32 PM »
@firemondays @eco mom
@arebelspy
@SisterX
@bbates728

Same!  It's really, really hard to believe that was over a year ago.  I hope you're all staying safe!

I look forward to seeing you all again IRL.  In the meantime, I've been doing virtual meetups about once a month through the ChooseFI Seattle Facebook group.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:18:41 PM by firemondays »

bbates728

• Stubble
« Reply #998 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:36 AM »
Any way we can meet up safely, I am down. How have the virtual meetings been? @firemondays

SmartyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #999 on: March 26, 2021, 01:46:14 PM »
PTF - I'm in the greater Seattle area, would love to get together once it's safe to do so!