Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 109138 times)

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Seattle area meet up
« Reply #800 on: August 30, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »
I'll join! If it's a weeknight, downtown is easiest for me. If it's the weekend then I don't care much where we meet, though I have a preference for north.

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: August 31, 2017, 04:49:58 PM »
Since the weather is so nice, I prefer a park/picnic.  But with good/free parking.

BigMoneyJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #802 on: September 01, 2017, 03:11:47 AM »
Hey peeps, we'll be in Seattle for a few weeks. Anyone wanna hang out?

I'm in Dallas. I'll head your way.

No, seriously....

I've been planning a big road tripówell, not "planning" so much as intendingóto take a Seattle trip to get away from the heat and scout out neighborhoods for a possible future move. And then I decided to drive it and stop a few places along the way.

Now that I'm not working, my plan was to take off soonish, but it's a holiday weekend, people panicked and caused a local gasoline shortage because they were afraid there would be a local gasoline shortage, and I'm apparently going to get a little bit of paid work to do, so my departure is probably mid-next-week now.

I've been intending to contact you in particular at Nords' urging, and I will, but hey if we're in Seattle at the same time we can meet.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #803 on: September 01, 2017, 07:58:08 PM »
Sweet! PM me when you know the approximate dates you'll be getting to Seattle.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:28:06 PM by arebelspy »
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

lessismorekevin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #804 on: September 04, 2017, 09:51:48 AM »
Let's meet up again!

I'm going to propose Saturday, September 16 at Noon.

I think the Genesee Park spot (by 3801 S Alaska) is working quite well, but open to other ideas as well.

Thanks Zheng for putting the meetup together last month. I'll look forward to September 16th.

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #805 on: September 07, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
I just moved to Seattle and conveniently live in New Holly, can't wait to meet ya'll on the 16th :)
Don't we have robots for this?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #806 on: September 07, 2017, 11:54:20 AM »
Let's meet up again!

I think the Genesee Park spot (by 3801 S Alaska) is working quite well, but open to other ideas as well.

We're in for ~2 hours (have a 3:30 thing that day)!  Looking forward to seeing people again/meeting people.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.

Seattle Carter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #807 on: September 07, 2017, 02:44:24 PM »
A great park on the north side of Seattle is Carkeek Park. Beautiful view of the Puget Sound, and plenty of space for a picnic. There's a playground for kids, and trails for a gentle hike after the meetup.

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #808 on: September 07, 2017, 03:40:38 PM »
Let's meet up again!

Where is the meeting spot in this park or is it obvious?

Misstachio

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #809 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:47 AM »
Hopefully it's obvious, elsewise I'll be taking a walk around it until I spot a flock of fiscally responsible people talking about how hard it is to get into real estate in Seattle lol
Don't we have robots for this?

nickybecky1

• Stubble
« Reply #810 on: September 12, 2017, 09:44:40 AM »
I haven't been to any of these meetups, but I'm pretty sure 3801 Alaska is an apartment building on the side of the park, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be obvious if you start from there. There's ample parking at the Rainier Community Center right there. I think we'll be able to make it so I'm looking forward to meeting a bunch of cool people!

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #811 on: September 12, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
Hopefully it's obvious, elsewise I'll be taking a walk around it until I spot a flock of fiscally responsible people talking about how hard it is to get into real estate in Seattle lol
Well I for one will do my best to appear fiscally responsible, then.

jingleszheng

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #812 on: September 13, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »
Hey all! Yep- 3801 S Alaska is an apt building and there's plenty of parking in the community center there or on the street.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to swing by on Sat- but hope you enjoy the park! Leif or others, if you decide to come earlier in the morning, come have coffee at my place. PS: Recommend someone bringing a picnic blanket or two. :)

InevitableFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #813 on: September 13, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »
Whoa Arebelsby. I grew up in Brier. My parents are still there. Loads of people near Brier don't even know Brier exists! How freakin' random is this? The main moderator of the forum that I've been reading obsessively for the last year is in my home town when he could be studying Tai Chi in China or some such thing.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #814 on: September 13, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »
Whoa Arebelsby. I grew up in Brier. My parents are still there. Loads of people near Brier don't even know Brier exists! How freakin' random is this? The main moderator of the forum that I've been reading obsessively for the last year is in my home town when he could be studying Tai Chi in China or some such thing.

Haha, I grew up here as well. Went to Brier Elementary 1st - 4th grade.  :)

Parents still live here (and many friends from elementary/high school are in the general area), so we visit once or twice a year.

InevitableFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #815 on: September 13, 2017, 11:38:53 PM »
I'm 29, name's Patrick, and I went to Lockwood Elementary. It's a little funny that you look so much like my friend Ryan Hart who also grew up in Brier and also has an unconventional bent to him too. Task Rabbit, Fulfillment By Amazon, and he's a technophile. The resemblance is so close I just checked his facebook friends to see if you were a cousin. I'm going to do my best to make it to this meetup, but it is difficult since I work graveyard as a mechanic at Alaska Airlines and would be getting off that Saturday morning and returning to work Saturday night so we'll see. BTW community-at-large, if anyone else works for Alaska Airlines in the Seattle area I'd like to hear from you! Maybe we can hang out?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #816 on: September 15, 2017, 05:14:36 PM »
Is this a potluck or not? Don't want to show up empty-handed if it is.

Good question. No one mentioned that, so it hadn't crossed my mind. I'd assume no, at this point.

Annabelle got sick, so Ali will be staying back with her, but I'll still be going (solo).

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #817 on: September 15, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
I'll try to show up for a bit toward the beginning, but at some point I'll have to run off to a friend's kid's first birthday party.
I made a blog! https://seattlecyclone.com/

The Roth IRA was named after William Roth, who represented Delaware in the US senate from 1971-2001. "Roth" is a name, not an acronym. There's no need to capitalize the final three letters.

BigMoneyJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »
Wow, time flies. But I drove. I'm in town, and I'll show up.

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #819 on: September 16, 2017, 10:41:14 AM »
I wish I could make it! Instead I will be at my desk working on a Saturday, which is a poor substitute, indeed.

leif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #820 on: September 16, 2017, 11:21:17 AM »
Hey ya'll -- Meet up is on at noon today

I'm reachable at 206-486-ZERO-FIVE-7-FOUR if ya'll have trouble finding the group :)

BigMoneyJim

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #821 on: September 16, 2017, 01:23:27 PM »
Well, I got caught out late on the wrong side of the sound. I might not make it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #822 on: September 16, 2017, 06:21:57 PM »
I'll try to show up for a bit toward the beginning, but at some point I'll have to run off to a friend's kid's first birthday party.

Oh man, I didn't realize this was you!  We really should have said screen names, too.  On my drive home I was like "Oh, Paul.d.k. was supposed to show up, guess he couldn't make it......wait. He probably was there, but with a different name than Paul!"  :P

Nice meeting you. :D

Leif is the smart one with the matching screenname.

Anyone have a link to the FB group? (PM if you don't want to post because you are a member.)

leif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #823 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:18 PM »

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #824 on: September 17, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »

Oh man, I didn't realize this was you!  We really should have said screen names, too.  On my drive home I was like "Oh, Paul.d.k. was supposed to show up, guess he couldn't make it......wait. He probably was there, but with a different name than Paul!"  :P

Indeed, Paul was there too. He was the guy in the lawn chair.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:49:36 AM by seattlecyclone »
I made a blog! https://seattlecyclone.com/

The Roth IRA was named after William Roth, who represented Delaware in the US senate from 1971-2001. "Roth" is a name, not an acronym. There's no need to capitalize the final three letters.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #825 on: September 17, 2017, 09:57:04 AM »
Indeed, Paul was there too. He was the guy in the lawn chair.

I thought PDK was British. Did I just miss an accent somehow?

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #826 on: September 17, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
Maybe.

-Aaron

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #827 on: October 27, 2017, 01:12:36 PM »
It's been a while since we met up last, let's do it again!

I propose next Saturday (Nov. 4th) and I'm taking a vote as to where we meet up (cross posted on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1051424764875648).

Current options:
  • North! Green Lake Park
  • South! Genesee Park
  • Top of lake Washington! Lake Forest Park Third Place Books
  • In the city! Chuck's Hop shop (2001 E Union St)

If you've voted on facebook, try not to vote here.

I'll let the poll run overnight and tally the results tomorrow.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #828 on: October 29, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
The green lake park option won by a wide margin, so let's meet there!

Saturday, November 4th @ Green Lake Park, 1-4pm

If the weather sucks we'll take it inside to the Green Lake community center, otherwise we'll meet outside. Hope to see some of you there!

rhrgrt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I eat spiders.
« Reply #829 on: October 31, 2017, 07:31:04 PM »
I do not use Facebook so I can't comment there, but I like the sound of Saturday the 4th, 1 pm at Green Lake park. Is there any other info I'm missing from the FB group post?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #830 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:05 PM »
I do not use Facebook so I can't comment there, but I like the sound of Saturday the 4th, 1 pm at Green Lake park. Is there any other info I'm missing from the FB group post?

Doesn't look like it. Read the post directly above yours. :)

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #831 on: October 31, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »
Wow - the meet-up is just a couple of blocks from our condo. I haven't been to one of these before, but I look forward to meeting all of you!

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #832 on: November 01, 2017, 01:44:31 PM »
If you get to Green Lake and can't find us on Saturday, feel free to give me a text or call at (252) five-four-8 : six-two-six-five

lessismorekevin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #833 on: November 02, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »
Excellent idea, thanks!  See you on Saturday.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #834 on: November 04, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »
Let's meet inside the community center, it's cold enough outside to be unpleasant.

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #835 on: November 04, 2017, 03:02:34 PM »
We've relocated because the center was closed - if you're trying to find us give  a text or call at 252 548 6265. It's only a few blocks away

[edit] spelling
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 11:03:10 PM by GreenShirt »

GreenShirt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #836 on: November 08, 2017, 11:02:21 PM »
I propose another meet up

When!? Saturday, December 9th, 1-4pm
Where!? 3929 Stone Way N, Seattle (it's in Wallingford/Fremont)

One of the members was kind enough to let us use her office/house (depending on size) for the meetup.

If you use facebook, https://www.facebook.com/events/534068403596037/ is the event page. If anything changes (like when or where) I'll post the update here as well.

FIRE_at_45

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #837 on: November 14, 2017, 09:03:54 PM »
Seattle Campers Join us in Bellingham, WA June 9,10th 2018

If you are interested respond in the link attached.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/vancouverseattle-camping-meetup-june-910-2018-(bellingham-washington)/
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:05:14 PM by FIRE_at_45 »
I have a journal: A Journey of Self Discovery in the Pursuit of Happiness

Canadian and not satisfied with your current bank?  Switch to Tangerine using this key 47894562S1 and we both win.

APowers

• Bristles
« Reply #838 on: November 18, 2017, 04:18:54 PM »
I don't really know where else to post this so that the right people will find it...but I figure here is a good place to find Seattle/Tacoma peoples. Please redirect me, if there's a better place to post this.

My sister's wedding is in June 2018, and I'm looking for lodging for out-of-state family (myself included). We're thinking it'd be WAY more fun to share a real house than to individually stay at motels. We're a pretty awesome, laid-back group-- I promise no rowdy parties, though we might have a couple intense board games, lol.

If anyone has a 4+bedroom/3+ bathroom house that they'd be willing to rent for a long weekend (friday afternoon through tuesday morning-- 4 nights), we'd be willing pay $200/night, and dust/vacuum/clean the house before we leave.