Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 108748 times)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #300 on: January 13, 2016, 08:12:29 PM »
A Seattle visit? What fun! I wish I could join you and lhamo, but have a crazy schedule of trainings all week.

I agreed with lhamo's suggestions, except about Fremont. It's no longer the funky town that we knew and loved. It's very hectic hipster, consumer-centered, and much built up since the 1990s.

UW campus:
- Red Square and the newly completed Rainier Vista (both offer views of Mt. Rainier)
- Suzzallo Library
- wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ (Intellectual House) is worth the visit - it's built to resemble a longhouse, main room is beautiful
- You can kick back and relax at the HUB (Husky Union Building student center)
- Portion of the Burke Gilman Trail (near UW Medical Center) is closed so do be sure check before you use it
- Campus map

International District is fun (though Vancouver probably offers tough competition!):
- Take bus #71, 72, 73 to the International District Station
- Panama Hotel (still a hotel and has a cafe, a fascinating look into US Japanese American history)
- Wing Luke Museum (especially if you take the "Historic Hotel Tour")
- Uwajimaya (grocery, food court, bookstore) and KOBO at Higo (local & Japanese arts & crafts)
- Szechuan Noodle Bowl - plain, no frills, cash-only, and home to my favorite green onion pancakes

Special date for you and Lady Snow
- Walk in Olympic Sculpture Park - such views!
- Elliott Bay Book Company
- Kingfish Cafe - Here you can get soul food in a low-key setting (check out the vintage photos). Owned by twin sisters.
- Monsoon is my favorite restaurant in Seattle - run by a brother sister chefs. Food is fresh, healthy, and incredibly delicious. (Literally across the street from Kingfish Cafe.)

Please feel free to PM with any other questions.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:25:17 PM by Exhale »

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #301 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
@Feb 6 - looking forward to it.

@Jan 21or 22 UW-area rendezvous with JS and Ihamo, if my recovery from surgery continues to proceed smoothly, I'd love join you. Would welcome the chance to discuss with fellow travelers the ups and downs of giving notice to employer of early retirement (Jan 5)  AND undergoing unplanned scary surgery (Jan 8) within a single week. What a roller coaster....By the end of next week should have a better sense of things.

Could this be considered The Seattle Meetup: pre-game edition? :) The 21st would work really well for me...I'm leaving Vancouver early and hope to arrive in Seattle just in time to miss rush hour (9:30-ish?). You guys (gals) pick the spot and time and I'll be there, be it for a walk (if we are all feeling up to it and the weather is decent) or we can just park ourselves somewhere and enjoy a hot beverage. I don't know Seattle well at all, but my TomTom should get me to the agreed upon place.

If it were after normal work hours, I could join in on the pre-game action. I'm less than a mile down the road on Eastlake for work (and went to UW for 5 years).

My go-to for food in the U-district is Thai Tom. Others have also said it, but Suzallo Library is a great building to check out. Enter immediately off of red square.

Coming from Vancouver, it is worth checking if the Amtrak train schedule works for you. It will drop you off in downtown Seattle, and it is a 20 minute bus ride north from there. The train ride is pretty nice if it lines up with your schedule.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2016, 08:27:39 PM »
OK, I'm calling it -- let's aim for the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books cafe area (due to limited space at the Ravenna location) at 10:30am on Saturday Feb 6th.

I'm in!

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
Could this be considered The Seattle Meetup: pre-game edition? :) The 21st would work really well for me...
If it were after normal work hours, I could join in on the pre-game action.

I could also meet after work on 1/21. I suggest Happy Hour at Mio Posto (#65 bus from the University District). Also, it'll be easier for lhamo to find parking.

Brilliantine

• Stubble
« Reply #304 on: January 13, 2016, 08:58:10 PM »
Would appreciate very much if some "locals" might be able to give me some pub/restaurant suggestions...

I went to UW. I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest the College Inn pub. :) It's loud and smelly but almost always full of college kids (graduate students too?) drinking, eating, and having a good time.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #305 on: January 13, 2016, 10:10:08 PM »
OK, I'm calling it -- let's aim for the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books cafe area (due to limited space at the Ravenna location) at 10:30am on Saturday Feb 6th.

I'm in!

Also in!
Journal, so I can find it later:  Living off the Grid

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: An Island in the Salish Sea (with necessary stints in Vancouver)
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »
Coming from Vancouver, it is worth checking if the Amtrak train schedule works for you. It will drop you off in downtown Seattle, and it is a 20 minute bus ride north from there. The train ride is pretty nice if it lines up with your schedule.

It's a good thought Glenstache...and actually something I'd like to do another time - I have heard good things about the train trip...it's probably how we would choose to visit Oregon at some point. We are going to be visiting some family scattered about Greater Seattle as well...so bringing our truck down is probably our best option.

I could also meet after work on 1/21. I suggest Happy Hour at Mio Posto (#65 bus from the University District). Also, it'll be easier for lhamo to find parking.

We should explore this option further. It would be a shame if I was in your town and we couldn't at least say hello in person. :)

And BTW, I'm loving the Seattle info-dump from everyone. I am going to reference this thread for future visits. If the Hawks win another Superbowl, I am definitely coming down for THAT. Almost did for the last victory parade.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2016, 10:07:58 AM »
If When the Hawks win another Superbowl

Ahem. ;)
Goal: FIRE by 2026
My Journal

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2016, 03:45:08 PM »
OK, I'm going to take a stab at consolidating meeting times/places for the Seattle area crew over the coming weeks:

"Pre-game" Jon Snow meetup #1:  Thursday 1/21, 10:00 am (ish) at 72nd Street Cafe near Greenlake.  Spot chosen based on Yelp reviews, I've never been there.  But hopefully it is fairly close to Amesenator, who is recovering from surgery.  And if it isn't pouring down rain we can go for a walk around Greenlake after.  I will also have my car and can provide transit elsewhere after.

"Pre-game" Jon Snow meetup #2:  Thursday 1/21, 6:00pm (ish) at Mio Posto on 55th and 35th Ave NE (U Village/Bryant area).  http://miopostopizza.com/bryant, to accommodate those with day jobs.  I'm not sure I can make it to this -- will depend on how DS's homework load is progressing.

Saturday 2/6, 10:30am  at Lake Forest Park Third Place Books  http://www.thirdplacebooks.com/directions.  I will be at this meetup and can offer rides to/from for anyone in NE Seattle who might need it.  The location is also accessible via bus 372 from the U District (and possibly other routes)

I will try to remember to bring a piece of paper with a big "M" on it to the ones I am going to. 

Looking forward to meeting folks in person next week!
Wherever you go, there you are

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
Well, this is awesome lhamo!

I am most definitely IN for Meetup #1. I am hoping the weather gods favour us (and Amesenator feels better) so that we can walk around the lake - I want to scout it out as a possible urban kayaking spot. A bit of research about the lake reveals that there are NO motorized craft allowed in there...that is wonderful and sounds like a great spot for a fitness focused paddle (lakes are often better than the ocean for this) around the circumference of the lake. I will likely cross the border and head straight to the Cafe...which sounds quite nice from some reviews I just read.

Meetup #2 should be possible too. Just need to let my better half in on it and see what she thinks. She is quite social and would not be opposed to meeting some new people I think. We have plans to visit family while in Seattle, but I don't think that is until the next day. I think Mio Posto might even be within walking distance from our hotel on NE 45th, just west of the campus. We will probably walk one way at least, maybe cab back to hotel if we feel lazy (or if the walk is longer than it looks). I'm 80% sure I can make this Meetup...will firm up on this soon.

As for the Main Event Meetup....I'll leave that one to the actual Seattleites. :)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:14 PM »
"Pre-game" Jon Snow meetup #2:  Thursday 1/21, 6:00pm (ish) at Mio Posto on 55th and 35th Ave NE (U Village/Bryant area).  http://miopostopizza.com/bryant, to accommodate those with day jobs.  I'm not sure I can make it to this -- will depend on how DS's homework load is progressing.

Saturday 2/6, 10:30am  at Lake Forest Park Third Place Books  http://www.thirdplacebooks.com/directions.  I will be at this meetup and can offer rides to/from for anyone in NE Seattle who might need it.  The location is also accessible via bus 372 from the U District (and possibly other routes)

---

I can make it to Meetup #2, but completely understand if doesn't end up working out for folks.

And, of course, I'm looking forward to 2/6!

Did anyone see the amazing rainbows today?

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #311 on: January 17, 2016, 01:45:22 AM »
I may be able to make it to #2 on 1/21, depending on how my work schedule develops this week. I have a team deadline on Friday which could mean staying late on Thursday, unfortunately. Don't count on me, but I will monitor this thread for changes in the location/time and see if I can swing it.

2/6 is also looking good for me.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #312 on: January 17, 2016, 02:48:41 PM »
#2 on 1/21 is a high possibility for me. Depending on Mr. CM's workload he may be able to make it too.
My Journal

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #313 on: January 17, 2016, 03:10:23 PM »
DW arrives back from out of town tonight and I will ask her about Meetup #2. I anticipate we will be there...good to see that the ranks of attendees looks to be growing for this event!

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 17, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »
I'm not in Seattle yet but thinking about moving there...it made it to my top 4 places. I've never been there but plan on taking a 14 State tour looking for a new place to live. I should be in the area around the end of Feb/early Mar, it would be cool to meet up with some of you to pick your brains on the area. If you have any pros/cons about the area feel free to PM me. Thanks!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: January 18, 2016, 08:36:15 PM »
Is anybody else planning on coming to the pre-game #1 meet-up/walk on Thursday?  Because if not we may move meeting location to a private venue.  Please post before 12:00 noon Wednesday if you plan to come so that I can coordinate information sharing off-list.

If anybody does end up showing up last minute, PM me and I'll try to get the location info to you.

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #316 on: January 18, 2016, 10:29:16 PM »
I'm interested in the Thursday meetup #2. Not 100% sure yet if I'll be able to make it from work to the U-district but I can try, and will let you know if I can't make it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:33:32 PM by hamsterman »

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #317 on: January 19, 2016, 12:30:11 AM »
I was considering going to the pre-game #1 meet-up. It would feel kind of silly not to, since I'll be dropping my kid off at preschool a couple hundred feet away from 72nd St Cafe at 10.  I'll probably show up around 10:15.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »
Is the meetup still on for ~6 tonight? I an 95% sure I can make it. Won't know about my husband until pretty much the last minute.
My Journal

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: January 21, 2016, 09:55:47 AM »
Is the meetup still on for ~6 tonight? I an 95% sure I can make it. Won't know about my husband until pretty much the last minute.

I'm planning on 6 pm tonight.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 21, 2016, 10:03:29 AM »
I'm probably not going to make it to the evening meetup -- I dislike driving at night under the best conditions,  and this rain is nasty!  I know, I'm a wimp.  But I get really bad refraction with my contact lenses and it is really scary to drive when it is dark and raining.

I will give Jon Snow some of my mustache post-its at our meetup later this morning.  So those of you who are going for the evening meet up be on the look out for the green mustache!

BTW, we have moved the morning meetup to a member's home near Greenlake (a bit further south but free, good coffee).  PM me if you decide to come and I'll forward you the address.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: January 21, 2016, 01:01:03 PM »
I was hoping to make it out tonight but that's looking unlikely.  Have fun and see you all on the 6th. 

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #322 on: January 21, 2016, 01:27:59 PM »
I'm probably not going to make it to the evening meetup -- I dislike driving at night under the best conditions,  and this rain is nasty!  I know, I'm a wimp.  But I get really bad refraction with my contact lenses and it is really scary to drive when it is dark and raining.

We could probably pick you up on the way... if I recall correctly you live between us and the U-District? PM me if you are interested :)
My Journal

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #323 on: January 21, 2016, 01:50:36 PM »
Don't think I'll make it tonight, need to go to someone's going away party.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: January 21, 2016, 03:12:09 PM »
Okay, I'm quite thoroughly soaked but I'll be ready and happy to meet with some more Seattle MMM'ers tonight. 6pm works for me and DW...what's the final verdict on a meeting place?

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »

We could probably pick you up on the way... if I recall correctly you live between us and the U-District? PM me if you are interested :)

Thanks for the offer of a ride - that's really kind!  I think I'm gonna stay home with DS tonight, though.

Look forward to meeting you at the upcoming weekend meetup in February!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2016, 03:50:51 PM »
Okay, I'm quite thoroughly soaked but I'll be ready and happy to meet with some more Seattle MMM'ers tonight. 6pm works for me and DW...what's the final verdict on a meeting place?

I think this is still the planned venue:  http://miopostopizza.com/bryant

It is probably a 20-30  minute walk north east of your hotel, if you are still planning to walk.  The walk along Ravenna Ave NE will probably be more scenic/pleasant than walking on 45th (which has horrendous traffic and multiple lanes -- there will be traffic on Ravenna at that time of the day, too, but it is a two lane boulevard and generally more pleasant than the main E/W corridor to/from I5 during rush hour.

I stupidly forgot to give you the green mustache postits, so you all will need to figure out your own signal for identifying each other tonight.  Soaking wet goretex, perhaps? 

Have fun everybody!  We had a great walk and talk this morning.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #327 on: January 21, 2016, 04:21:02 PM »
DH and I plan to be there tonight barring catastrophic flooding or sharknados.

(No worries lhamo - looking forward to meeting you on the 6th as well!)

Do we have a final head count? Whoever gets there first would need to get a table for enough people. It looks like 6 RSVPs so far including spouses.
My Journal

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #328 on: January 21, 2016, 04:38:13 PM »
Jon Snow, I'll be driving through the U-District on my way to the meetup, and probably within a block of your hotel. I can easily pick you and your DW on the way through.

If that helps, PM me with your hotel and we can figure out where to meet at 545-550ish. I'm guessing it's the Deca from your description above.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: January 21, 2016, 05:04:05 PM »
Jon Snow, I'll be driving through the U-District on my way to the meetup, and probably within a block of your hotel. I can easily pick you and your DW on the way through.

If that helps, PM me with your hotel and we can figure out where to meet at 545-550ish. I'm guessing it's the Deca from your description above.

Mioposto it is. :)

Thanks for the ride offer GS...we are fine walking. The rain even appears to be letting up!

We plan to be there around 6-ish. Looking forward to imeeting everyone. The menu looks good too. :)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #330 on: January 21, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »
hello everyone - still stuck at work. so sorry to miss this meetup dinner!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #331 on: January 21, 2016, 10:21:55 PM »
It was so fun meeting you guys - Glenstache and Jon_Snow (and Lady Snow). Always great to put a face with a username.
My Journal

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: January 21, 2016, 11:55:23 PM »
Sorry to have missed it! As I feared I was stuck at the office during both meetups today. Oh well, I had a nice late ride home in the rain on the Burke Gilman, the exercise always cheers me up.

I know there may be other Seattle bikers on this post, so just in case -- there was a tree down on the Burke Gilman at about 125th, be careful if you're riding out there in the next 24 hours or so! I'm lucky I have a powerful headlight and was able to see it and brake in time.

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #333 on: January 22, 2016, 11:03:18 AM »
It was so fun meeting you guys - Glenstache and Jon_Snow (and Lady Snow). Always great to put a face with a username.

+1. Very fun to meet everyone! Perhaps next time on kayaks or a trail somewhere!

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #334 on: January 22, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
So nice to slog through the rain around Green Lake with kindred spirits yesterday! Very fun.

Enjoy the rest of your Seattle sojourn, JS, and I look forward to the Seattle area meet-up on Feb 6!

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2016, 01:55:39 PM »
Yes, thanks for yesterday's Green Lake walk and banana bread!

Alas, when I came out after picking my kid up from preschool, a squirrel had stolen the banana bread from my bike and was chowing down on it. Next time I need to remember to put food in my pannier. :)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2016, 04:34:33 PM »
I think my mom will get a kick out of the fact that a Green Lake squirrel stole her banana bread!

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: January 30, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
I'm new to the forum and was excited to find out there will be a meetup on Feb 6-th. Looking forward to it.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #338 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
I'm new to the forum and was excited to find out there will be a meetup on Feb 6-th. Looking forward to it.

Yeah me too.  This is my first MMM meetup after discovering the site a few months ago.  Anything in particular we should bring or is it just a social meeting of the minds and sharing of ideas? 

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »
I was expecting to go to the Feb 6th meetup, but I can't make it. Hopefully someone else can lead a bike ride if there's interest!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »

Yeah me too.  This is my first MMM meetup after discovering the site a few months ago.  Anything in particular we should bring or is it just a social meeting of the minds and sharing of ideas?

I haven't really had a close look at the cafe space yet -- not sure if the tables are obviously linked to the cafe, or if it is more public/general. If the former, it would probably be good form if most of us purchased a little something so we aren't taking away space from paying customers.  I'll have a closer look next time I go to the gym and report back.

So far the following people have expressed interest/intent to come -- looks like we will be about 15-20 people if everyone shows up.   We might need to split between several tables -- we could do some rotations so everybody gets a chance to mix and mingle a bit.

lhamo
brandonbrews
innatelynate (+SO)
SeattleStache
slugsworth
ceeteebee (+SO)
Amesenator
walkman3000
cheddarpie
Exhale
celticmyst08 (+SO)
Grid
nrenko

If anyone else plans to join, please let me know -- just for table-snagging purposes, so if you can't make it at the last minute don't fret.

I will have my package of green mustache post-its and we can spread them across tables as people arrive.

Also, if it turns out the place is totally packed and there isn't enough space for us (I have no idea how crowded it gets on a Saturday morning), let's plan to switch the meeting space to the downstairs area outside the library -- there are several tables there where we can congregate, or we could move into the bread place.  If we need to move I'll post an update in this thread to alert everybody.

Seattle Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
I might be bicycling up to the meeting from West Seattle if anyone is interested in going with! I just moved and need to find my bicycle pump in the basement, then I'm good to go! Really looking forward to meeting some Mustachians in person!

JoJo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: February 02, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
I'm planning on attending on Saturday too.

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #343 on: February 02, 2016, 07:58:34 PM »
Hi there,

I'm looking forward to attending on Saturday. Driving and biking are out for me as a result of recent surgery. If any drivers may be in the vicinity of or passing by the Green Lake area, and could give a lift, please PM me.

Cheers,

A

Ragriz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #344 on: February 04, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »
My wife and I will be there on Saturday with our two kids. Looking forward to meeting some of you!

Sailor Sam

• Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2016, 06:36:43 PM »
I'll be there. Yup, yup, yup.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2016, 08:55:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to the meetup!

The last time I was there (about 6 months ago), the seating area has lots of tables all throughout a big area that's not directly affiliated with any particular eatery. Also, folks can choose from an array of variously-priced food and drinks, including from the bakery downstairs.

If I had a car, I'd give you a ride Amesenator. I hope you can make it.

Thanks for bringing the post-it notes lhamo!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:57:35 PM by Exhale »

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2016, 10:49:57 PM »
Thanks, Exhale - one of the kind MMMers who's attending lives in my area and has offered to drive me up!

Looking forward to seeing everyone,

A

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #348 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
We'll be there! Looking forward to it!
My Journal

crazycatlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow