Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 95093 times)

Skinnyneo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Tsumashiku Kurashii - Living Frugally in Japan
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
Hey guys,
 I really hate to do this but we are going to have to postpone the meetup for this Saturday the 19th.  I came down with the flu, and beyond feeling terrible I just don't want to expose anyone else to this.

My plan is to reschedule for sometime in early to mid October.

Really sorry again.

Craig

I'm just learning about this meetup now.  If you're still shooting for October, I could do the 17th/18th either day.  Just some input.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »
Hey all! I just found this, and my wife and I would love to join in the next meet up, if we can. I've been a long-time lurker on the blog, but just finally got around to joining the forums when I saw this thread. We just recently moved out to Seattle, and would definitely welcome the chance to meet some of the local Mustachians!

-Craig

Ragriz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: October 08, 2015, 06:10:56 AM »
Hi Everyone! I'll be moving to the area next week with my wife and two children. We definitely want to meet some new people, and are particularly interested in meeting other Mustachians.

It looks like we'll be in Gig Harbor for a few weeks while some updates are made to our townhouse, then settling into Fremont. I won't start my new job until 10/26, so we will most likely be available if a meetup is happening before then. I'll also send a PM to Hunter about the e-mail list.

Grigory

• Stubble
  • (rhymes with "story")
    • my attempt at blogging
« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »
Hi guys! I've just moved to Seattle a few weeks ago and I'd love to get to meet all of my fellow Mustachians. :) When is the October meetup? Would it be more efficient to put together a meetup.com group?
Author of Buffett's Biggest Blunders and Go to college without going broke - now available on Kindle! :)

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2015, 01:31:19 PM »
Hi Seattle Mustachians! I'll be in area this week coming up for a job interview, and poking around looking for apartments for a few days. If anyone is around, would love to get together and meet a few people, and pick your brains about Seattle living!

Ragriz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: October 19, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »
It looks like the October meetup fell through, or maybe it just didn't get announced here. Maybe we should plan something for late November? (I'll be in the city by then.)

alsoknownasDean

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2015, 01:03:19 AM »
A bit of a shame that there's no meet scheduled,  I'm in the area until the 23rd.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
I've been following MMM for a couple months but am new to the forum.  Any of the old-timers want to put together a November meetup?  Or do people get burnt out re-hashing the same concepts?  Regardless, I'd be interested in meeting some fellow mustachians. 

Ragriz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: November 04, 2015, 01:38:21 PM »
I would be interested to meet sometime after 11/20. Due to my work schedule, I'm only really available on the weekends.

Do you have kids? I have two small ones, so a kid-friendly meetup would be best for my family.

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: November 05, 2015, 12:34:25 AM »
So this image is making the rounds on twitter, and I immediately thought - Mustache meetup!

https://twitter.com/KnuteBerger/status/661320945026535424

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #260 on: November 05, 2015, 06:17:19 PM »
Wow, that is a profoundly weird photo. Where on earth did they get the idea to lounge on the grass?

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2015, 01:27:42 PM »
I'm always down for a meetup, although I'm insanely busy lately with school/work. I'm actually considering hosting one if anyone's interested, but need to talk to my husband first.
Goal: FIRE by 2026
My Journal

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2015, 12:28:27 PM »
I don't know if anyone is still interested in getting together this month but the 27th or 28th would work for my wife and I.  Maybe put some Thanksgiving left-overs to use for a little potluck? 

leontager

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2015, 11:51:52 PM »
I'd love to meet up with people in Seattle. I can even host if other people would like to join. Would anyone be interested in a potluck? I'm located in the CD.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2015, 12:20:56 AM »
I'm interested! Thanks for offering to host!

bigalsmith101

• Bristles
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »
I'd love to meet up with people in Seattle. I can even host if other people would like to join. Would anyone be interested in a potluck? I'm located in the CD.

Pick a day that works well for you and I'll do my best to make it! How's parking where you're located. Room for my motorcycle?
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #266 on: December 02, 2015, 12:56:43 AM »
Hi leontager - I'm in the CD too. My own house isn't really suitable for hosting, sadly, but I'm happy to assist your effort (bringing chairs or whatnot) if it ends up having legs. I'll check back.

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #267 on: December 02, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »
I'm close to the CD and would love to join as well!

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: December 02, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
I'd also love to come if the scheduling works -- I leave town for the holidays on December 18th or 19th though (trying to change flights today).  As others have said, pick a day and if it works for me I'll be there!
Wherever you go, there you are

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2024 (maybe?)
« Reply #269 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:06 AM »
Will attend if schedule allows, and I'm in town through the holidays.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »
I'm also in the CD! What about next weekend (Dec. 12/13) sometime in the afternoon or a brunchy/lunchy potluck? I can also help bringing supplies, I have some easy-ish to transport chairs and an Ikea set of picnic plates/cups.

Leontager, are you a member of the Washington Mustachians Facebook group? That might be a good way to coordinate this too.

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
I'm also in the CD! What about next weekend (Dec. 12/13) sometime in the afternoon or a brunchy/lunchy potluck? I can also help bringing supplies, I have some easy-ish to transport chairs and an Ikea set of picnic plates/cups.

Leontager, are you a member of the Washington Mustachians Facebook group? That might be a good way to coordinate this too.

December 12 would work well for me!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: December 06, 2015, 06:50:59 AM »
We'll be out of town that weekend but will be around between Xmas and New Year's if anyone wants to do another gathering.  Regardless, have fun next weekend, and Go Hawks!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #273 on: December 07, 2015, 01:50:33 PM »
Mr. CM and I are in! Leon I think we ran into you a few months ago at the Pierogi festival...?

Dec 12-13 will work, we will be around. Can bring food & our foldup camping chairs.
My Journal

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: December 10, 2015, 02:32:13 PM »
I'm going to participate in Santacon on 12/12 - starts at Fado Irish pub @ 11am. 
But if you guys meet later in the day somewhere, this 'Santa' will be there.

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: December 11, 2015, 10:34:22 AM »
Did this ever firm up into anything for this weekend? I see plenty of interest, but nothing definite.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »
Anybody up for a Seattle area meetup in January?  MLK day would be good for me -- DS is off school and I could probably abandon him for a few hours.  My place isn't really suitable for hosting.  If people are open to a public spot, I was thinking the cafe at Third Place Books up in Lake Forest Park might work (totally selfish suggestion -- my gym is in the same building), or open to other suggestions.  Probably too wet/drippy this time of year for an outside venue.

Prefer afternoon hours if that works for others (I hate driving in the dark).

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2016, 12:43:46 PM »
I'm definitely still up for a MMM gathering.  We're out of town MLK weekend and part of the next so don't wait for us if other people can make it.  Feb and March are much more open for us.  Or a weeknight after 6pm could work. 

innatelynate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #278 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »
Count 2 more for a Feb/Mar meetup.

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #279 on: January 06, 2016, 01:50:02 PM »
I'm in as well!

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: January 06, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
I'm interested.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: January 06, 2016, 06:15:03 PM »
Two more here for a February/March meetup. MLK Jr Day is possible, but unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #282 on: January 07, 2016, 12:38:17 PM »
Hi there,

I'd also be up for it - schedule pretty flexible at this point.

Cheers,

A.

walkman3000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2016, 09:50:08 AM »
I would be interested in a January meet up, get the year started right.  I have transportation limitations but reasonable timing flexibility.

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm also interested for February or March! January will be tough for me as I'm having hip surgery next week.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 08, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Feb/March would be great. May I suggest the cafe at Third Place Books in Ravenna (65th NE and 20th)? If it's held there I could attend.

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #286 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:27 AM »
Me too! Third Place Books in LFP would be awesome since it's 10 min from my apartment. ;)

We will be gone President's Day weekend in February though.
My Journal

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: January 11, 2016, 09:41:50 PM »
Ravenna Third Place Books is much closer to me, but I'd be happy to lead a group bike ride on the Burke from Fremont or UDistrict up to the Lake Forest Park location. Assuming I'm not sick or that the meetup isn't too early in the morning..

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: January 12, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
Ravenna Third Place Books is much closer to me, but I'd be happy to lead a group bike ride on the Burke from Fremont or UDistrict up to the Lake Forest Park location. Assuming I'm not sick or that the meetup isn't too early in the morning..

We're in the Tangletown area and might be up for bike caravan-ing up. 

Let's get a date on the books so people can plan accordingly.  Looking at the calendar, the only Saturday in Feb and March that we have plans that can't move is February 20th.  Anyone else have any Saturday conflicts?  Or is another day of the week preferable?

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #289 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
Saturdays work well for us. As for which, that depends on the time; we have plans for the afternoon on the 13th, but are open otherwise.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: January 12, 2016, 10:25:42 PM »
I was just in the Ravenna Third Place Books and see that the cafe area is pretty small (and sure to be busy on the weekend). So, the LFP location might be a better option for the meeting.

All Saturdays in February are good for me except for 2/27. And brandonbrews can't do 2/20. So that leaves us with:
- 2/6
- 2/13 (in the morning so that ceeteebee can make it)

lhamo, since you got this ball rolling would you like to pick the date?

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #291 on: January 13, 2016, 02:06:51 AM »
I'm available
February
  • 6th/7th and
  • 20th/21st
to meet. 

March I'm available the
  • 5th/6th and
  • 26th/27th.

(Just getting my vote in)
Journal, so I can find it later:  Living off the Grid

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #292 on: January 13, 2016, 06:34:41 AM »
OK, I'm calling it -- let's aim for the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books cafe area (due to limited space at the Ravenna location) at 10:30am on Saturday Feb 6th.

If anybody in the N. Seattle area needs a ride (either there or home), let me know -- I can fit up to four more people in my car.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: An Island in the Salish Sea (with necessary stints in Vancouver)
« Reply #293 on: January 13, 2016, 08:05:17 AM »
I think I am going to try and take advantage of the concentrated numbers of "Seattleites" around here and pick some brains. I am going to be wandering around the U District on Jan.21/22 (too early for the Meetup, sadly) while DW is "in conference" at the UW, with absolutely ZERO knowledge of the area. Would appreciate very much if some "locals" might be able to give me some pub/restaurant suggestions...some nice walks, etc...

Thanks in advance...:)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #294 on: January 13, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
The campus is large and quite pleasant to walk around.  If it is a sunny day the view from Red Square of Mt. Rainier is really impressive and should not be missed.  The graduate reading room in Suzallo Library is also spectacular -- will make you think you are in Europe. 

The Burke Gilman trail bisects campus, and you can walk either east/north, eventually ending up along Lake Washington, or west along the canal over to Ballard.  Walking west a couple of miles brings you to funky Fremont, which is a fun place to hang out (though i haven't hung out there since the 1990s....)

There are tons of restaurants in the neighborhood, mostly fairly low cost (and often quality to match, unfortunately).  We had great Indian food recently at Shalimar.  The gyros and falafel at Aladdin are good.  My bibimbap at Korean Tofu House was too sweet for my taste, but the tofu soup my friend had looked good.  Cafe Solstice has great coffee, though Cafe Allegro is the place my DH still prefers to go (grad school memories...). 

I typically drop DS off on campus around 8:00am and if the weather is not bad could pick you up for a walk or hike in one of the local parks that are further from campus, or even further afield.   Have room for up to four people in the car (though the back seat would be a bit cramped with 3 adults) if any other Mustachians would like to join.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #295 on: January 13, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
OK, I'm calling it -- let's aim for the Lake Forest Park Third Place Books cafe area (due to limited space at the Ravenna location) at 10:30am on Saturday Feb 6th.

If anybody in the N. Seattle area needs a ride (either there or home), let me know -- I can fit up to four more people in my car.
Awesome, looking forward to it!

celticmyst08

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: January 13, 2016, 10:17:37 AM »
Mr. CM's office is down near the U District and he really likes Zoka's Coffee.

Also, the library at the university is really beautiful. We actually did some of our engagement photos in there. The Botanic Gardens are also pretty, with some small trails.

We'll plan to be at the meetup on Feb 6th!
My Journal

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #297 on: January 13, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
@Feb 6 - looking forward to it.

@Jan 21or 22 UW-area rendezvous with JS and Ihamo, if my recovery from surgery continues to proceed smoothly, I'd love join you. Would welcome the chance to discuss with fellow travelers the ups and downs of giving notice to employer of early retirement (Jan 5)  AND undergoing unplanned scary surgery (Jan 8) within a single week. What a roller coaster....By the end of next week should have a better sense of things.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 13, 2016, 12:39:14 PM »
@Feb 6 - looking forward to it.

@Jan 21or 22 UW-area rendezvous with JS and Ihamo, if my recovery from surgery continues to proceed smoothly, I'd love join you. Would welcome the chance to discuss with fellow travelers the ups and downs of giving notice to employer of early retirement (Jan 5)  AND undergoing unplanned scary surgery (Jan 8) within a single week. What a roller coaster....By the end of next week should have a better sense of things.

If the weather is nice we can always come up your way and do a slow walk around Greenlake, depending on where you are in your recovery.  Or generally meet in your neighborhood.  Have hybrid, can travel (without too much guilt :)

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #299 on: January 13, 2016, 02:41:20 PM »
@Everyone, we'll be looking forward to meeting you on the 6th. 

@Jon_Snow, wandering the UW campus is great.  A bit further away, the Arboretum and Greenlake are good walks with good scenery.  Yelp can help with food options.  For beer, since that's what I know best, Bottleworks and the Burgundian probably have the widest and best options.  Big Time and Elysian Tangletown are the closest brewpubs.  Kate's Pub has a good happy hour and usually has some local standards.