Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 199411 times)

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
Re: Seattle area meet up
« Reply #1000 on: April 04, 2019, 12:40:10 PM »
@arebelspy - I'd love to do the puzzle thing, but I'm not free that day. :( Bummer. I'm definitely on board for joining up to do something like this another time.

@eco mom - The 28th works for me for pot luck near Green lake!

I don't know how the time flies and it's already April...

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #1001 on: April 05, 2019, 12:18:19 AM »
Great, sounds like there is enough interest to go for it! Let's say:

1PM, Sunday April 28th
Social gathering / potluck - bring a dish or drink to share
@ecomom & @seattlecyclone's home in Green Lake
First ~20 people to RSVP

I like ~1pm if it's at our house, to allow us to enjoy it more because toddler *might* nap. If it looks like great weather and we want to move to a park we might need to adjust timing so that we can bring him with us. I'll PM address to those who express interest either here or by PMing me. Limiting RSVPs because it seems like it might get logistically hairy. I'll also note that my son and I vegetarian (in case you can easily veg-ify your offering and care to) but there's no requirement that your dish be vegetarian.

@brandonbrews glad to find a neighbor on here - and totally understand about the imminent baby - congrats! Is it your first? I can PM you with some local resources for second hand/free stuff if desired.

@arebelspy sorry to have you miss out on this one - but maybe that's a good reason for us to do it around toddler nap time this time around. Happy to host a brunchy-breakfasty more toddler-friendly event in the future if this goes well.

Everyone else who said they can come - PMs will be coming to you in the future!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1002 on: April 05, 2019, 10:37:08 AM »
@eco mom - Sounds good.  We'll plan for it, assuming baby #2 doesn't come early.  I'll PM you. 

bandk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1003 on: April 15, 2019, 10:16:19 PM »
@eco mom, we'd be interested in the potluck/gathering, sound nice! There's two of us, for counting purposes, and we'll likely bring something vegan.

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #1004 on: April 17, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
@eco mom

Thanks for offering up your home. Id love to come (1 person). I can bring some fruit/veg or a dessert of some kind.

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #1005 on: April 17, 2019, 05:40:58 PM »
Yay, more people! As people express interest, I'm sending each a message with our address and a sign up link so we don't end up all bringing the same thing.

FrugalityAndFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugality and Freedom
« Reply #1006 on: April 23, 2019, 11:22:57 AM »
Hi all,

Hello from this Australian attending Camp Mustache from May 24-27!

I hear there is often a pre-camp meetup with the greater Mustachian group in Seattle. I'll be in town a few days early. Just wondering if there are already plans for a meetup around Thu May 23?

Michelle @ FrugalityandFreedom

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: April 24, 2019, 06:04:59 PM »
Let's say there is a hypothetical person that won a last-minute ticket to Camp Mustache Seattle. And then let's say this person may want to extend the trip to see some of the national parks or monuments in the area after camp.

Which national park would you prefer for someone who hasn't seen either? Olympic or North Cascades? Or something else?

Would this hypothetical person need to rent a car to get there and or get around once in the park or is there good public transportation?

Any suggestions on cheap places to stay?

Okay this hypothetical person is me ...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1008 on: April 24, 2019, 06:05:41 PM »
Hi all,

Hello from this Australian attending Camp Mustache from May 24-27!

I hear there is often a pre-camp meetup with the greater Mustachian group in Seattle. I'll be in town a few days early. Just wondering if there are already plans for a meetup around Thu May 23?

Michelle @ FrugalityandFreedom

I would be up for a meet up after we arrive on the 27th or during that week, unless I'm already headed to the national parks in the area.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1009 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:52 PM »
My vote would be to rent a car, go over to the peninsula, and see the Ho national rainforest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ho+national+rainforest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5pfCr-enhAhXIFzQIHQAECK4Q_AUIDigB&biw=1416&bih=904&dpr=2

But there's so many beautiful areas in Washington, it's hard to go wrong.
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with two kids.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out our Now page to see what we're up to currently.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: April 25, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »
My vote would be to rent a car, go over to the peninsula, and see the Ho national rainforest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ho+national+rainforest&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5pfCr-enhAhXIFzQIHQAECK4Q_AUIDigB&biw=1416&bih=904&dpr=2

That looks really cool! Thanks!

It looks to be in Olympic National Park.

It sounds like I need a car then. ;-)

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1011 on: April 25, 2019, 02:38:18 PM »
Let's say there is a hypothetical person that won a last-minute ticket to Camp Mustache Seattle. And then let's say this person may want to extend the trip to see some of the national parks or monuments in the area after camp.

Which national park would you prefer for someone who hasn't seen either? Olympic or North Cascades? Or something else?

Would this hypothetical person need to rent a car to get there and or get around once in the park or is there good public transportation?

Any suggestions on cheap places to stay?

Okay this hypothetical person is me ...

Have you been to Mount Rainier? I'd probably give that a slight edge over Olympic National Park, but they're both great. North Cascades has some nice hiking and nature and stuff, but I don't think of it as the same sort of "destination" that someone from across the country might want to come here just to see.

Regarding a pre-Camp meetup, there's been one in Gas Works Park in Seattle the afternoon/evening before Camp Mustache for the past few years. I'd stop by if such a meetup were to happen again.

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2027 (maybe?)
« Reply #1012 on: April 25, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »

That looks really cool! Thanks!

It looks to be in Olympic National Park.

It sounds like I need a car then. ;-)
You will likely end up needing a car regardless of the park you choose to visit. You do have the option to wing it once you get here based on the weather. Rainier is beautiful, but a bit underwhelming if things are socked in with clouds. If super rainy, then the rain forest and Pacific coast parts of Olympic are better options (though can be VERY wet).

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #1013 on: April 28, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »
Thanks again em/sc for hosting. It was so nice chatting and sharing food with yall.

Here are links for a couple of topics that came up:

PBS newshour episode on MMM https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-these-penny-pinchers-retired-in-their-30s

Traveling Central America blog: http://freedomwithbruno.com/

wokenup

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1014 on: April 28, 2019, 07:21:33 PM »
Thank you @ecomom for hosting us at your house today!  It was great to meet so many of you. 

We were amazed how almost everyone in the group had either reached FIRE or are mere months away from doing so.  Congrats to all!

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #1015 on: April 28, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
Thanks all, it was fun, and look forward to doing some park meetups this summer and perhaps joining in for camping sometime if it works for us. Happy to organize a park meetup to celebrate @seattlecyclone's FIRE when it happens.

I'll share a couple links too, related to climate:

I mentioned Project Drawdown, with the 100 solutions that would effectively reverse global warming: https://www.drawdown.org/

And offsets certified by UN Climate Neutral Now: https://offset.climateneutralnow.org/

Welcome to the forums and your first meetup, @wokenup and family!

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1016 on: April 29, 2019, 12:32:56 PM »
Thanks for hosting, eco mom and seattlecyclone! That was fun. We already spent some time on drawdown.org last night - good info there.

FrugalityAndFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugality and Freedom
« Reply #1017 on: May 10, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
Following on from tradition of previous years, come along to a Pre-Camp Mustache 2019 meetup in Seattle.

Thu 23 May 6pm-8.30pm, Gas Works Park (meet nearish the restroom block).

This is a meetup of attendees to Camp Mustache, fans of Mr Money Mustache and ChooseFI, plus general financial independence enthusiasts.

See you there!

RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/366733070716464/

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1018 on: May 23, 2019, 11:46:22 AM »
Following on from tradition of previous years, come along to a Pre-Camp Mustache 2019 meetup in Seattle.

Thu 23 May 6pm-8.30pm, Gas Works Park (meet nearish the restroom block).

This is a meetup of attendees to Camp Mustache, fans of Mr Money Mustache and ChooseFI, plus general financial independence enthusiasts.

See you there!

RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/366733070716464/

Just bumping this post because this is happening tonight.