Author Topic: Seattle area meet up  (Read 78992 times)

crazycatlady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Seattle area meet up idea
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »
DH and I are also planning to attend.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #351 on: February 05, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
 We'll be there as well, looking forward to meeting everybody!

I feel a bit unmustachian and sissypants-ish by not riding the bikes now, after seeing caitlinroyale's comment about biking from WS...

I'll hopefully redeem myself with a test ride from Bellevue to the CD to map out my commute for next week, though. I've committed to riding to work at least 50% for this year, and just need to score a set of panniers to make sure my laptop makes the ride safe and dry. I'm hoping to find something at a decent price at the bike swap next weekend, or on craigslist, if not.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »
YOU PEOPLE ARE SO AWESOME!!!!!  Great turnout, great conversation, just sorry I didn't do a better job of mixing and mingling and getting to know more of you.  So hard to be an introvert in a crowd sometimes..... 

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to everybody for coming.  Maybe we can make this a regularish thing?  Amesenator mentioned that she learned a lot about some new investing options from one of her interlocutors, and suggested maybe we could do some kind of informal seminar-y thing for people to share their mustachian skills.  The KCLS library branch downstairs has a meeting room and I could look into booking that if anyone finds it an interesting idea (and wants to volunteer to present on a topic of interest).  We could also try something along the lines of the "conversation cafe" idea that Vicki Robin (of YMOYL fame) was doing for awhile -- I think she used to hold those in the space we were today when she still lived in the area.   I never participated, but I think the idea basically is that you just pick a theme for discussion and open it up for people to come along and share their ideas/experiences.  Something to think about trying if there is enough interest.  Let me know.

Also, as my posting practices probably show I am pretty much free most weekdays between 8:30-2:30ish and happy to meet up for walking, talking, and coffee.  Really enjoying getting to know likeminded people from here so feel free to PM me if you are interested in meeting up again.  Especially on sunny days!

Can you tell I had a double latte? 
Wherever you go, there you are

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2016, 04:10:05 PM »
Lhamo, thanks for putting together the meetup! It was a pleasure to meet you and so many fellow mustachians in person.

I'd be interested in the seminar/discussion idea (maybe once a month or so?)

BTW: As I was leaving, I noticed that there was a lady's cap (with an embroidered flower on the side) left on the table -- I dropped it off at the information desk. If you're missing yours, they are holding it safely for you.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2016, 04:58:22 PM »
BTW: As I was leaving, I noticed that there was a lady's cap (with an embroidered flower on the side) left on the table -- I dropped it off at the information desk. If you're missing yours, they are holding it safely for you.

Thank you so much! (That was my hat which I missed when I was about half way home.)

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #355 on: February 06, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for an awesome time, and great conversation! As to structured discussions around a common topic, or repeats of the more casual get together, I can safely say HECK YEAH! We would love to get together again sometime.

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #356 on: February 06, 2016, 10:53:02 PM »
Yes, it was great, thanks for organizing it and to everyone for coming!
Definitely +1 for a regular meetup. And once the weather is better (or at least more predictable) we could do a walk, a hike, a picnic etc.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2016, 12:36:39 AM »
Agreed - it was great meeting so many interesting people.  I'll talk to my wife and find a date to host a potluck sometime in March or April. 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #358 on: February 07, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »
Yes, agreed! Great to meet so many of you and I'd love to do it again sometime (and meet the rest of you that I missed!).

I know I am not always great about checking the forums regularly, so maybe we can also get a regular ole email list going at some point, or use the Washington Mustachians Facebook group too ... ?

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »
Hey folks, I was going to start a mailing list, but got realistic about that being more than I can take on right now. I like the idea of a monthly gathering, including a possible focus on a particular topic.

A good (and free) meeting space might be the meeting room of the NE Branch Library. More info here: http://www.spl.org/locations/northeast-branch/net-meeting-and-study-rooms

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2016, 08:50:44 PM »
Just a warning: the NE branch meeting room fills up quickly on weekends, so book in advance.

Nikita

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #361 on: February 08, 2016, 08:38:46 PM »
... maybe we can also get a regular ole email list going at some point, or use the Washington Mustachians Facebook group too ... ?

What about meetup.com? Or is it too public? I think there's a way to create semi-private groups. If more than a few people think it's a good idea, I can start a group there and appoint a few 'admins' so that in case some of us can't manage it at some point, other will be able to pick it up.

WDYT?

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #362 on: February 08, 2016, 08:45:55 PM »
A meetup.com group sounds perfect. I'd be happy to help share the admin duties, if you need volunteers.

Glenstache

• Handlebar Stache
  • Target FI date 2024 (maybe?)
« Reply #363 on: February 09, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
I'm not a big fan of meetup.com for organizing events. The meetup.com option costs the organizer money every month, which is inherently unmustachian when there are free ways to do it. Having been an admin for a group in both meetup and on facebook, the fb option is much easier and free. The only downside is that fb is less anonymous than meetup. For those wishing to remain some separation/anonymity, it is possible to turn on email notifications for this thread to know when things are happening.

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #364 on: February 09, 2016, 12:18:45 AM »
Huh, good point. I didn't realize that meetup.com was strictly a pay service; for some reason I thought they had a freemium model.

Mother Fussbudget

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: February 09, 2016, 11:21:10 AM »
It was good to meet people.  I give a couple of presentations - the first "Sex & the Southern Fried Vegan" on "how we made PowerPoint", and how you can use it to create great presentations in minutes (i.e. 'be the office hero when you're asked to present at the meeting happening in 10 minutes').

The other is an introduction to Mustachianism based on using the ideas in 'SATSFV', and applying them to Pete's "From Zero To Hero" post.
I can cut both to 10 minutes each if there's interest...   

Bruce

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2016, 08:56:31 AM »
Hey all! 

So i'm not from Seattle but I had a question since you guys are one of the most active threads of the meetups section of the forum and appeared to just have a wonderful get together recently (Congrats!)

Tonight i'm hosting a meetup in my home with 6-10 mustachians coming, all of whom i've never met. It occurred to my wife and I yesterday - "oh no, what if it's horribly awkward and the spread of people is 60 years in age and the only thing we have in common is reading a website!?!" With that fear in mine, i turn to you, veteran meet uppers to quell my fears and possibly offer suggestions of what to do tonight. We have snacks and drinks that we will provide. Should we just plan on mingling with no agenda? Should we have games ready? Should i have some questions prepped that i could ask of the group if it turns quiet and awkward?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

p.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread, i can delete this post in a couple days if you'd like!

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
Hey all! 

So i'm not from Seattle but I had a question since you guys are one of the most active threads of the meetups section of the forum and appeared to just have a wonderful get together recently (Congrats!)

Tonight i'm hosting a meetup in my home with 6-10 mustachians coming, all of whom i've never met. It occurred to my wife and I yesterday - "oh no, what if it's horribly awkward and the spread of people is 60 years in age and the only thing we have in common is reading a website!?!" With that fear in mine, i turn to you, veteran meet uppers to quell my fears and possibly offer suggestions of what to do tonight. We have snacks and drinks that we will provide. Should we just plan on mingling with no agenda? Should we have games ready? Should i have some questions prepped that i could ask of the group if it turns quiet and awkward?

p.s. Sorry for hijacking the thread, i can delete this post in a couple days if you'd like!

Spread of 60 years isn't a huge deal, you have something in common to talk about. I play bridge as a hobby and thus regularly deal with people from 20 to 80. The age difference only matters if you are looking for something in common to discuss. As MMM readers, that's already somewhat assured.

Telecaster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2016, 05:49:04 PM »
Hey all! 

Definitely report back and let us know how it went. 

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #369 on: February 10, 2016, 06:31:58 PM »

You can talk about money.  Everyone loves talking about money.  There are multiple (popular!) television channels devoted to discussing money.  And since the website in common has a lot of focus on money - you have a baseline to talk about. ;)

Hopefully you'll find more to talk about than just money, though.  People are so much more interesting than just money..

Amesenator

• Stubble
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2016, 09:06:51 PM »
@Mother Fussbudget, thanks for offering to present- sound like topics that could launch interesting discussions.

I will be following on FB (and this forum) for announcements about future get-togethers..

@rahby1us, hope your will have been a big success - let us know how it goes!

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #371 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:30 AM »
Hey to everyone who read/helped me with suggestions for the other day, the meetup went great! We had 10 people of all ages, shapes and sizes and it was really fun. I had games at the ready but we never needed them. The conversation was easy (how did you come across mustache, where you live in the city, making fun of antimustachians, RV travel and composting toilets!!) Thanks so much!!

billygoatc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2016, 12:35:58 AM »
ARGHH!! So sad I missed this!!

I'm new here and would definitely be down for any additional meetups that get set up. I live in the CD and can get anywhere. Looking forward to meeting my fellow mustachians. Many of my friends here in town are frustratingly anti-mustache!! It's killing me!!

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #373 on: February 17, 2016, 02:34:52 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully we can keep the good conversations going from the last meetup.  My wife Deb and I wanted to get Saturday March 26th on the calendar to host a potluck at our place in the Greenlake/Tangletown area. 

Feel free to bring any food or beverages you'd like to share.  Bonus points for MMM-inspired recipes that are cheap, healthy, and delicious.  I'll have a couple beers and a cider on tap.  We do have a friendly dog, for anyone who needs to know for allergies.  PM me if you're interested and I'll send out our address and the particulars. 

Also, 3/26 is still a ways off so don't let this preclude other gatherings before then! 

Brandon

meatgrinder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: February 17, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »
I'm down for the meet-up on the 26th.  Live right next door in Wallingford and will bring some home brews.

Also, lived in Seattle for 7 years and never heard of the CD?  Central District?

slugsworth

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: February 17, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
Yes, the CD = central district. . . .

I'll try to make it - did you want to post this on the FB page too?

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #376 on: February 17, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »
@brandonbrews - A potluck sounds awesome, I will see if we're available that weekend, and let you know. I may not have any homebrews to share, but I could certainly offer up some good Irish whiskey for the occasion!

Disclaimer: DW and I just put in an offer on a new place, with a closing date in mid-late March, so we may have to cancel in favor of moving, but otherwise we're in! I'll PM you once we know for sure what our plans are.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »
good luck with your offer, ceeteebee!

I can probably make it on the 26th, hopefully with at least part of my family in tow.  But if DH comes with me, you guys have to promise not to blow my cover/ask him too many pointed questions!

lmvzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #378 on: February 18, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
The recent meetup in Lake Forest Park was my first MMM meetup and it was awesome, so I guess I should be on the forums now.  I was that late-twenties, aspiring accountant, just went car-less lady.  Hey!

-Lauren

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #379 on: February 18, 2016, 01:10:17 PM »
Hi Lauren, welcome. Cruise around the forum, start a journal, have some fun. It's a good place to be.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #380 on: February 18, 2016, 10:10:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully we can keep the good conversations going from the last meetup.  My wife Deb and I wanted to get Saturday March 26th on the calendar to host a potluck at our place in the Greenlake/Tangletown area. 

Feel free to bring any food or beverages you'd like to share.  Bonus points for MMM-inspired recipes that are cheap, healthy, and delicious.  I'll have a couple beers and a cider on tap.  We do have a friendly dog, for anyone who needs to know for allergies.  PM me if you're interested and I'll send out our address and the particulars. 

Also, 3/26 is still a ways off so don't let this preclude other gatherings before then! 

Brandon

What a great idea! I should be able to make it and will bring a hearty frugal vegetarian dish of some sort. WIll PM you. Thank you for doing this.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #381 on: February 18, 2016, 10:13:09 PM »
Sorry to go off topic - will make it very brief. Can anyone recommend a good Internet provider? Comcast just informed us that, oh by the way, our monthly payment will double. So, I'm shopping around to see what else is out there. Thanks!

Curious Cricket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2016, 10:42:52 PM »
I just gave Comcast the boot and switched to century link. Getting rid of Comcast was a great feeling

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2016, 07:40:41 AM »
@ceeteebee, maybe we need to make the potluck a moving party.  Regardless, good luck.

@ Lauren, welcome!

I'm looking forward to the potluck.  I'll send out details mid-March to those who are interested.  Too bad it's a ways off still. 

Regarding Comcast, I'd LOVE to find a decent alternative but haven't been able to as of yet.  The base plan they're offering right now is $40/month plus taxes, with a 12-month contract.  With no contract, I believe it's $50/month. 

@Curious Cricket, how much are you paying with Century Link, and do you have to bundle other services with internet or is it stand-alone? 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #384 on: February 19, 2016, 09:22:40 AM »
@ceeteebee, congrats -- fingers crossed for you! Where would you be moving? I like the idea of a potluck moving party! :) [And as for the regular potluck, I am probably going to be out of town March 26 but will let you know if that changes and would love to join!]

@brandonbrews -- I have Wave Broadband. They are OK. A gazillion times better than Comcast on the customer service front, but still an internet company. :) We pay $71.35 for the 100+Power User+superfast package or whatever they call it (internet only, no cable or phone or anything). It is pretty good. We had a smaller/slower package for $40 for a while but our 5+ household couldn't really handle it and we often went over the data streaming allowance. I call every year and negotiate them down as best I can, it takes some perseverence but it works. Currently I think we have a $30 discount over what the rate would otherwise be.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #385 on: February 19, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
Would folks be up for another meeting at the LFP location on either 3/12?  I just checked the schedule, and the meeting room at the King County Library branch is currently open on that day from 10:00-11:15.  It only seats 20 people.  But we could start off with a skills sharing session there (maybe the "changing the world with powerpoint" one from Motherfussbudget?) and then migrate upstairs for a more social group for those who have time/interest?

I know the NE Seattle Library was suggested as an alternative location as well, but the SPL room reservation system is much more cumbersome -- KCLS shows availability on line, and it seems you can reserve on line as well.  I can deal with that, at least for this session.  SPL requires you fill out a PDF form and submit it in person to the library.  And there doesn't seem to be any way to check on line to see if the room is available.  A bit too much bother for me.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: February 19, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »
Thank you Curious Cricket, brandonbrews, and cheddarpie!

ceeteebee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #387 on: February 19, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »
Thanks for the well wishes everyone, but apparently this one wasn't meant to be - unless you had cash in hand for $75k+ over the list price, that is (we didn't). This market is insane!

As for meeting on the 12th, my wife and I will be free, and would definitely be interested in learning some voodoo PowerPoint magic! Hopefully some good conversation afterwards again, as well, too. Though it was rather loud last time... anybody know of a good venue near that spot that's a bit quieter than the food court was?

dilinger

• Bristles
« Reply #388 on: February 20, 2016, 03:24:08 AM »
I just switched to centurylink (fiber) as well.  It's been much more reliable than comcast so far.

I'm paying $30/mo for 40/5 mbit.  It's normally $40/mo due to having to lease a modem, but the modem isn't actually necessary if you set things up properly on a your own modem (just need to configure a vlan and pppoe login).  There was also an installation fee of $80.

Curious Cricket

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2016, 12:32:44 PM »
@brandonbrews. Currently paying $41 for internet only. No bundle. Based on what my friends have said, I can probably get it $10 lowered if I called and negotiated.

hamsterman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #390 on: February 21, 2016, 05:10:48 AM »
I'm interested in the potluck in March! Let me know what's up.

seattlecyclone

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: February 21, 2016, 01:51:29 PM »
I may be able to attend the March 26th potluck, please keep me posted.
I made a blog! https://seattlecyclone.com/

The Roth IRA was named after William Roth, who represented Delaware in the US senate from 1971-2001. "Roth" is a name, not an acronym. There's no need to capitalize the final three letters.

brandonbrews

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #392 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:44 PM »
Hey Everyone,

Something came up and we need to be out of town on the 26th but we can do it the 19th instead.  It'll be at our house in Greenlake, most likely be a starting around noon.  If you haven't told me you're interested, or can't make it due to the date change, just let me know.  Sorry for the change in plans, but since it's still a month off hopefully everyone can still make it!

Brandon 

Erich10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Diligence, patience, persistence, playfullness
    • In Search of Cashflow
« Reply #393 on: February 28, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
Hi all,

Is there a thread for Tacoma-area mustachians? Or would this be the place to post to arrange a meetup event in the general Tacoma area?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 08:22:18 PM by Erich10 »
Erich

MerryMcQ

• Stubble
« Reply #394 on: February 28, 2016, 10:18:07 PM »
My husband and I are near Tacoma, and would be interested in a local meetup. We hate driving to Seattle, so haven't tried to make any of those meetups. :(

bigalsmith101

• Bristles
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #395 on: March 02, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »
Hello again everyone!

I'd love to make it to the next meet-up. I attended one several months ago and it was great. Would love to make it happen again!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for more info :)
I spent the first 6 years of "real" life in a self imposed semi retirement, to secure a lifetime of stories. Now it's time to secure the next lifetime through the badassity of FI.

"I achieved such a high level of badassity I just don't realize how normal people miss the whole process." --Le Barbu

asch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: March 02, 2016, 11:38:23 PM »
Hi folks,

I feel lucky to have checked this thread just as some meetups were already about to happen. I live in the Central District and have been in Seattle for a few years; I came across MMM several months ago, and it really helped me get my personal goals straightened out. Looking forward to meeting more folks who I'm certain to have a few things in common with :)

redbirdfan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2016, 07:08:53 PM »
I would love to attend any meetup.  I can use a good dose of mustachianism! 

cheddarpie

• Stubble
« Reply #398 on: March 08, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
CD folks, how about a meetup one night for a beer at the Chuck's Hop Shop? Not exactly Mustachian, but beer.

Maybe next Monday or Tuesday (March 14 or 15)?

zoltani

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #399 on: March 08, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
I'm also in Tacoma, looks like there are quite a few of us.
Wondrous: An Alice in Wonderland Inspired Adult Coloring Book

“The hardest thing in the world is to simplify your life. It’s so easy to make it complex. What’s important is leading an examined life.”

Yvon Chouinard