Author Topic: Perth Meetup! (Australia)  (Read 435069 times)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
Re: Perth Meetup! (Australia)
« Reply #800 on: January 02, 2016, 09:54:27 PM »
Unfortunately it turns out I have to work on the 9th (I requested to have it off if possible, but they've put me on the roster and it looks like they need every staff member they can get - it tends to be like that on Fridays and Saturdays) so I can't do games night. :(

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #801 on: January 03, 2016, 05:10:02 AM »
Unfortunately it turns out I have to work on the 9th (I requested to have it off if possible, but they've put me on the roster and it looks like they need every staff member they can get - it tends to be like that on Fridays and Saturdays) so I can't do games night. :(

That sucks! Do you think you'll be able to make breakfast on Feb 13?

Ms Terror

• Stubble
« Reply #802 on: January 03, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »
I'll be out for the Feb meetup, my sister is having her engagement party in Melbourne so must attend. Still keen for games night!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #803 on: January 03, 2016, 07:19:32 PM »
I can probably do the 13 Feb meetup :)

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #804 on: January 03, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
That sucks! Do you think you'll be able to make breakfast on Feb 13?

I don't tend to get many lunch shifts, so hopefully that will be fine! But even if I do get a lunch shift I could potentially pop by for breakfast, and go straight to work afterwards. We'll see. :)

ajg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #805 on: January 11, 2016, 06:53:48 PM »
Hi All,

First post! My wife and I should be available for the 13th Feb meet up. Was it to be a breakfast at Food Monkey in NB?

Regards,

AJG.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #806 on: January 11, 2016, 08:38:47 PM »
Hi All,

First post! My wife and I should be available for the 13th Feb meet up. Was it to be a breakfast at Food Monkey in NB?

Regards,

AJG.
Yes, that's right! Looking forward to meeting you :)

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #807 on: January 11, 2016, 08:45:20 PM »
I feel like a bike ride, I might pedal my way down there.  It's been a while.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #808 on: January 12, 2016, 02:04:10 AM »
I probably can't (yet again!) as it will be my birthday :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: January 12, 2016, 07:19:38 AM »
I feel like a bike ride, I might pedal my way down there.  It's been a while.
Would be great to see you again!!!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #810 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:28 AM »
Hi All,

Regards,

AJG.
I am curious!!! What brings you to Mr money mustache?

ajg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #811 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:36 PM »
Hi Melody,

Excuse the thread hi-jack.

We've been reading mmm for probably two years. I discovered the concept of financial independence in the mmm sense around 4 years ago when I decided my dream career that provides me fulfilment, happiness and purpose just doesn't exist in my realm (after too many years of tertiary study and  general introspection/soul searching...). So started on my investment journey (and education), as well as maximising savings; made plenty of mistakes a long the way so far. I very luckily met my lovely wife just over three years ago and she had a very similar mindset and philosophy on life. Together we have augmented our ideas and embraced a lot of what mmm writes about, because we believe it and it's very logical. We are approximately 4 years away until we hit our target.

We had been working away for 18months and been back in Perth for the past 7months, so thought it was time to see how many other like minded people live in Perth.

Regards,
AJG

Edit: oh, what time will the breakie be at?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:31:12 PM by ajg »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: January 12, 2016, 09:18:16 PM »
Hi Melody,

We've been reading mmm for probably two years. I discovered the concept of financial independence in the mmm sense around 4 years ago when I decided my dream career that provides me fulfilment, happiness and purpose just doesn't exist in my realm (after too many years of tertiary study and  general introspection/soul searching...). So started on my investment journey (and education), as well as maximising savings; made plenty of mistakes a long the way so far. I very luckily met my lovely wife just over three years ago and she had a very similar mindset and philosophy on life. Together we have augmented our ideas and embraced a lot of what mmm writes about, because we believe it and it's very logical. We are approximately 4 years away until we hit our target.

We had been working away for 18months and been back in Perth for the past 7months, so thought it was time to see how many other like minded people live in Perth.

Regards,
AJG

That's a great story! I look forward to meeting you both. Breakfasts are usually at 9.30 or so, but if we have far away friends coming we sometimes go later.
So does anyone object to 9.30???
If not 9.30; food monkey lake st Northbridge, Saturday 13th Feb.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #813 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »
Sounds perfect to me!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #814 on: January 13, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »
Hi Melody,

Regards,
AJG

That's a great story! I look forward to meeting you both. Breakfasts are usually at 9.30 or so, but if we have far away friends coming we sometimes go later.
So does anyone object to 9.30???
If not 9.30; food monkey lake st Northbridge, Saturday 13th Feb.

looking forward to meeting you all

ajg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #815 on: January 13, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
9:30 sounds good. See you all then.

AJG

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #816 on: January 18, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »
Hope nobody minds me posting this here- thought about it because a couple of people mentioned bushwalking in a journal here.

I am looking to sell a set of Scarpa women's hiking boots (EU 39/UK5.5/USm6.5/USw7.5). Lovely gift and although I am an EU 39, I need more room in the toebox than these boots allow. Been used less than 100km all up. PM me for details and a price.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #817 on: February 07, 2016, 05:52:57 PM »
hi

is the meetup still happening this weekend?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #818 on: February 07, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »

Absolutely! I'll be there :-)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #819 on: February 07, 2016, 06:54:13 PM »

Absolutely! I'll be there :-)

looking forward to meeting you

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: February 07, 2016, 08:15:31 PM »
Me too!!! I can't wait. Omg food monkey breakfasts are the best!!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #821 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:08 PM »
I'll be there too. DH may or may not, depending on numerous factors, but mostly if he feels like bagel.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #822 on: February 07, 2016, 10:16:39 PM »
I'll be there too. DH may or may not, depending on numerous factors, but mostly if he feels like bagel.

I have no idea how he copes with our nutty conversations at meetups :-P

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #823 on: February 08, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
I don't usually work lunch shifts on Saturdays but I am this week! If I try really hard I could pop by for an hour before work, but probably not... I'll just have to hope I can make the next one!

ajg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #824 on: February 09, 2016, 08:19:59 PM »
Hate to the be "commit then bail" persons on our first meetup...But, we started our kitchen reno's a little earlier than excepted, thanks to a quick approval of a low fee 18 month interest free balance transfer credit card (love earning a return on kitchen reno budget money while a credit card company gives us a interest free loan for at least 18 months). Got some family and a friends over last weekend to give me a hand to install the new roof beams and struts, skipbin is organised for this coming weekend to knock down some walls. So that'll be my weekend taken up, so apologies on the double booking!! I'll keep an eye on the thread and catch the next meet up. 

Thank all you MMM Perthites for understanding. Have a good breakie.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #825 on: February 09, 2016, 09:41:30 PM »
Hate to the be "commit then bail" persons on our first meetup...But, we started our kitchen reno's a little earlier than excepted, thanks to a quick approval of a low fee 18 month interest free balance transfer credit card (love earning a return on kitchen reno budget money while a credit card company gives us a interest free loan for at least 18 months). Got some family and a friends over last weekend to give me a hand to install the new roof beams and struts, skipbin is organised for this coming weekend to knock down some walls. So that'll be my weekend taken up, so apologies on the double booking!! I'll keep an eye on the thread and catch the next meet up. 

Thank all you MMM Perthites for understanding. Have a good breakie.
kk but come meet us next time, we love new people! And I'd love to hear about how your reno goes.

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #826 on: February 10, 2016, 08:51:45 AM »
Hey all! 

So i'm not from Perth or even Australia but I had a question since you guys are by far the most active thread of any on the meetups section of the forum (Congrats!)

Tonight i'm hosting a meetup in my home with 6-10 mustachians coming, all of whom i've never met. It occurred to my wife and I yesterday - "oh no, what if it's horribly awkward and the spread of people is 60 years in age and the only thing we have in common is reading a website!?!" With that fear in mine, i turn to you, veteran meet uppers to quell my fears and possibly offer suggestions of what to do tonight. We have snacks and drinks that we will provide. Should we just plan on mingling with no agenda? Should we have games ready? Should i have some questions prepped that i could ask of the group if it turns quiet and awkward?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #827 on: February 10, 2016, 06:22:08 PM »
You'll be fine. Our meetups have had quite a lot of potential for awkward and almost zero actual awkward. A large age spread, well it's not something that we have in this group, but I do in other social groups, where it has been no problem. A backup activity or game could be reassuring, but I doubt you'll need it.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #828 on: February 10, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »
I think games are helpful (preferably easy ones that don't take much concentration and/or encourage interaction, so people can get to know each other while playing).

At our first few meetups (which had different people turning up) we talked about how we all found MMM. Plus usual small talk - what do you do for work, what are your hobbies, etc.

We have a lot of talkers in the mix which helps. It's when people don't talk much that social activities get awkward :-P personally I abandon 'social' groups where too many people in the group won't at least meet me part way in keeping a conversation going. We've never had that issue with the meetups here.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #829 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:55 AM »
So 9.30 tomorrow morning. Anyone want to post about wearing/carrying something visible so that nnls (and any other newbies!) can recognise us?

For my part, I'll be wearing a pale blue cardigan over a dark coloured dress, I'm 5''11 and chubby with shoulder length blonde hair and I wear black-framed glasses. This is just like playing Guess Who ;-)

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #830 on: February 12, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »
Hey to everyone who read/helped me with suggestions for the other day, the meetup went great! I had games at the ready but we never needed them. The conversation was easy (like you said, how did you come across mustache, where you live in the city, making fun of antimustachians, RV travel and composting toilets!!) Thanks so much!!

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #831 on: February 12, 2016, 08:44:28 AM »
Hate to commit then bail, but my boyfriend is insisting on an engagement ring and I think I need to supervise the process to ensure he doesn't come back with a shiney but also missing a kidney. Also I'm not sure if I'm sturdy enough for the bike ride given the weather we've been having.

Have fun, folks!

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #832 on: February 12, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
Hi everyone

I've woken up and don't feel well :(
Will have to skip today sorry.  Hope you all have a great day

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #833 on: February 12, 2016, 03:20:44 PM »
Hi everyone

I've woken up and don't feel well :(
Will have to skip today sorry.  Hope you all have a great day

Oh no! Hope you feel better soon :-)

Hate to commit then bail, but my boyfriend is insisting on an engagement ring and I think I need to supervise the process to ensure he doesn't come back with a shiney but also missing a kidney. Also I'm not sure if I'm sturdy enough for the bike ride given the weather we've been having.

Have fun, folks!

Congrats!! And yes, definitely better for you to be involved in that decision.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #834 on: February 12, 2016, 03:22:14 PM »
So is it just me and anatidaev this morning? If yes, I promise not to grumble about my wedding the *whole* time anatidaev :-P

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #835 on: February 12, 2016, 04:42:53 PM »
I'll be there

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #836 on: February 12, 2016, 04:51:08 PM »

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #837 on: February 12, 2016, 05:03:18 PM »
Oh I'm glad it's 9:30! I had 8 in my calendar and only just woke up. Damn weather.  Sucks about sick/yay engagement/yay mmm meetup overseas went well/our thread rocks. Happier, anything wedding related you want me to bring?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #838 on: February 12, 2016, 05:12:06 PM »
Only your brain! :-)

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #839 on: February 15, 2016, 08:56:38 PM »
hope you all had fun, sorry I couldnt make it

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #840 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:30 PM »
Is it too early for me to start proposing dates for another Saturday brunch meetup sometime in March? The 5th, 12th and 19th all look good to me (after that it's Easter!).

I know we talked about having a stitch'n'bitch too, but I'm assuming that won't be an open / public event so figured we should organise another open event too :-)

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #841 on: February 18, 2016, 10:22:51 PM »
Could I tentatively suggest 9th, 10th, 16th or 17th of April for stitchnbitch? Is that too far away? I'm on holiday around Easter.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #842 on: February 18, 2016, 10:32:45 PM »
Could I tentatively suggest 9th, 10th, 16th or 17th of April for stitchnbitch? Is that too far away? I'm on holiday around Easter.

I'd be keen to do that AS WELL as a sooner date :-)

In fact I'd be happy to host the April stitch'n'bitch (those dates all work for me), and then if anyone wants to offer to host one sooner that would just pile up the awesomeness.

Do the March brunch dates work for you?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #843 on: February 19, 2016, 05:45:08 AM »
The only weekend I can do in March is the 19th/20th.
Happy to host an April stitch and bitch at mine for those I have previously met (central location). Most dates work for me, though maybe not the long weekend (23-25 April?)

I'm also going to pop this link here in case you don't read my journal because everyone loves free money!
--- if you’d also like $75 for opening a new fee free transaction account with 2% back on paypass and no ATM fees go to ingdirect.com.au/refer and enter my referral code BOT340 ----

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: February 19, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
Is it too early for me to start proposing dates for another Saturday brunch meetup sometime in March? The 5th, 12th and 19th all look good to me (after that it's Easter!).

I know we talked about having a stitch'n'bitch too, but I'm assuming that won't be an open / public event so figured we should organise another open event too :-)

I am not in Perth every weekend in March :( looks like I will have to try to make it to the next one

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #845 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »

I am not in Perth every weekend in March :( looks like I will have to try to make it to the next one

What about an after work drink during March?

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #846 on: February 19, 2016, 04:12:14 PM »

I do FIFO and have a trip to Broome to see family in March. So the only dates I'm in Perth are 9th, 14th and then 23-28th (the weekend from 25-28 is Easter long weekend)

What about an after work drink during March?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #847 on: February 19, 2016, 04:20:26 PM »
9th and 14th are sketchy for me (in Sydney for the weekend in between for a wedding so I often get really busy around going away and end up cancelling, but if other people are up for it, I will try to come.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #848 on: February 19, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
After-work drinks on the 25th?

Plus I can do brunch on the 12th or 19th.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #849 on: February 19, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
After-work drinks on the 25th?

Plus I can do brunch on the 12th or 19th.

25th is good Friday, a lot of places will be closed I think.