Author Topic: Perth Meetup! (Australia)  (Read 435129 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Perth Meetup! (Australia)
« Reply #400 on: August 27, 2014, 06:40:11 AM »
Happier, I 'may' be able to come (deliberately left my computer at home whilst on holidays interstate) and if so and you make it to Canning bridge train station I would be happy to drive.

Well if it works out for us to do that, I'll have to treat you to coffee at the meetup :-) they have coffee that far outside of the city, right? I kid, I kid!

If that plan doesn't work out for any reason, I'm happy to end up as a driver, I'd just rather not do such a long trip using one tonne of metal to transport just me. Especially because going that far from the cbd is practically a road trip for me - very rare for me to venture more than 8km from the city centre.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #401 on: August 27, 2014, 06:53:14 AM »
Happier, I 'may' be able to come (deliberately left my computer at home whilst on holidays interstate) and if so and you make it to Canning bridge train station I would be happy to drive.

Well if it works out for us to do that, I'll have to treat you to coffee at the meetup :-) they have coffee that far outside of the city, right? I kid, I kid!

If that plan doesn't work out for any reason, I'm happy to end up as a driver, I'd just rather not do such a long trip using one tonne of metal to transport just me. Especially because going that far from the cbd is practically a road trip for me - very rare for me to venture more than 8km from the city centre.

I'm also happy to drive from Bull Creek if Stripey can't pick up from Canning Bridge.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: August 27, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
I might stay at my folks house the night before so probably can't carpool but I'm in!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »
I'll let you guys know on Sunday when I'm re-united with my schedule. I am more than happy to drive anatidaev too. My car could do with a slightly longer run...

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: September 04, 2014, 11:22:57 PM »
14th is good for me. Anatidaev and Happier (and Melody, if applicable), if you'd like to privately contact me we'll figure out some arrangements.

Hrrm, spots. I may need to borrow a clothing item to comply this time. (Good theme, though)

Were we planning on food, cafe, picnic, 'other', or a combination of these?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2014, 03:00:36 AM »
Brilliant! I'll be in rockingham on Saturday so i can check it out, but I think we should aim for a picnic and head to a cafe if it's unpleasant weather.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: September 06, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
Phooey, I can't make it- sorry!!! Sunday mornings are typically not good for me anyway but am happy to miss one once in a while BUT the 14th is our church AGM. So I really should be there. Bummer.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #407 on: September 06, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
I did know churches had AGMs! That's kinda cool. We'll see you at the next meet up I'm sure.

In terms of travel arrangements, I'll be driving from Bullcreek train station, so I can take over the lifts.

I think the specific meeting place should be the corner of Rockingham Beach Road and Wanliss St.

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #408 on: September 06, 2014, 10:05:50 PM »
Am I the only one coming from this side? I feel bad making all you guys travel out here if its just me doesn't make sense. I am happy to meet nearer where you all are honestly?? Before it was awkward because I would have to take kids but hubby is here now so Travelling alone is much easier.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #409 on: September 10, 2014, 02:12:30 AM »
Am I the only one coming from this side? I feel bad making all you guys travel out here if its just me doesn't make sense. I am happy to meet nearer where you all are honestly?? Before it was awkward because I would have to take kids but hubby is here now so Travelling alone is much easier.

I thought we had more new peeps living South who wanted to come to a local meetup??

We don't seem to be very good at converting interest in attending a meetup into actual attendance by new people :-P we mostly have familiar faces at each meetup with one new one occasionally.

In terms of travel arrangements, I'll be driving from Bullcreek train station, so I can take over the lifts.

Do you think if I arranged to get dropped off at your house it would be okay for me to bum a lift from there? (And preferably back there afterwards?).

If not I'll suck it up and just drive :-P

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #410 on: September 10, 2014, 04:30:59 AM »

I thought we had more new peeps living South who wanted to come to a local meetup??

We don't seem to be very good at converting interest in attending a meetup into actual attendance by new people :-P we mostly have familiar faces at each meetup with one new one occasionally.
Yeah, plus, road trip!

Do you think if I arranged to get dropped off at your house it would be okay for me to bum a lift from there? (And preferably back there afterwards?).

If not I'll suck it up and just drive :-P
Sure you can get dropped at my house. No problems :)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #411 on: September 11, 2014, 06:17:49 AM »
I'm so excited about the Meetup! I was down at Kwinana Beach today for work, just around the corner from where we'll be meeting up. The sunshine was beautiful and the smell of the sea was lovely. I will bring chocolate cake to share (been meaning to make it anyway to freeze).

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: September 11, 2014, 08:27:46 AM »
What time exactly are we meeting? I was envisioning a tad later to accomodate those travelling from perth... like 10 or 10.30... I don't think I will be able to makeit before then at any rate....

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #413 on: September 11, 2014, 04:24:29 PM »
Let's go with 10:30, if that suits everyone else?

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #414 on: September 11, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
10.30 good for me, can I get an exact address because I am terrible finding places and it's not like I can ring you guys if I get lost thanks!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #415 on: September 11, 2014, 09:03:44 PM »
I'm so excited about the Meetup! I was down at Kwinana Beach today for work, just around the corner from where we'll be meeting up. The sunshine was beautiful and the smell of the sea was lovely. I will bring chocolate cake to share (been meaning to make it anyway to freeze).

I bought chocolate to bring, because I really wanted some chocolate last night when I went shopping :-P

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »
On my way but running a bit late. Will be there 11. Outside the dome on the grass

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:45 PM »
We're on the corner of wanliss and Rockingham beach rd, will walk to dome

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »
Walking to dome now

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #419 on: September 13, 2014, 08:52:47 PM »
Sitting across from dome in white with my two girls where are you guys?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: September 14, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »
Another successful meet up. Would have been nice to see some more faces... Does anyone want to throw out some dates for October?

BurquenaAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2014, 06:04:12 AM »
Hello Perthies,
I've been a lurker for a long time, but I might finally be brave enough to attend a meet up. So here's a vote for a meet up in October! I'm currently free every weekend. 

I'm looking forward to talking about very Perth-specific questions, like the insane cost of electricity (or is it just my housemates? I have no idea grrrr), and whether there are alternatives to Woolies/Coles for my mustard addiction.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
Yes, absolutely a meet up in October, I can see myself needing to hang with mustachians! Also welcome to our group BurquenaAbroad, and cool name!
Only dates I definitely can't do are Sat 4th and the afternoon of Sat the 18th. All other dates are free!

And our group will be wearing stripes! And I'm going to make a sign for this one :)

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #423 on: September 24, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
Hey a Perth thread!  Hi!

I will definitely go to one. I read a lot here, but I don't exactly have much to contribute and only joined recently...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #424 on: September 24, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
Super excited that we may get some new faces :D nobody is expected to be a financial genius, I for one mostly just ask a lot of questions!

Re: dates in October, the 5th and 25th are out for me.

What about the 11th/12th?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: September 25, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »
Can I propose another centrally located breakfast meetup, Saturday 11th of October?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2014, 10:36:38 PM »
Oh yes. I'll put it in my calendar now :)

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2014, 05:15:26 AM »
Sounds good! (I am very excited)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:14 AM »
Excellent, I'll be there. This time I should be able to ride in too!

And these themes are tricky for someone that doesn't own that many clothes! Oh wait, I 'may' have a stripey scarf...

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #429 on: September 27, 2014, 02:26:28 AM »
Sounds good, should be able to make this one.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 27, 2014, 06:44:54 AM »
Hello Perthies,
I've been a lurker for a long time, but I might finally be brave enough to attend a meet up. So here's a vote for a meet up in October! I'm currently free every weekend. 

I'm looking forward to talking about very Perth-specific questions, like the insane cost of electricity (or is it just my housemates? I have no idea grrrr), and whether there are alternatives to Woolies/Coles for my mustard addiction.

I can possibly bring along some (electronic) copies of my bills to compare if you'd like. For the last few years I have been in a 1-2 person household, gas hot water, gas stove, minimal electronics and minimal heating/aircon. Might be helpful...

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #431 on: September 28, 2014, 03:19:38 AM »
Ah that's the last weekend of the school term break so I won't be able to make it. Hopefully see you guys next time.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: September 28, 2014, 05:56:18 AM »
Yay... I missed you moestache! Welcome berquena... your housemates might just suck... I live alone and pay $64 for two months for electric (right on $1 a day) although I do have gas hit water. I don't even have energy saving globes (old ones will not die just yet!)

BurquenaAbroad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #433 on: September 30, 2014, 05:05:55 AM »
Hi everyone,

11 October works for me! I'm east of the city, so "centrally located" sounds promising. Has this group ever met at Subi Station Markets?

Stripey, it would be amazing to see ballpark figures for electricity bills in Perth. Our house ran up $260+ last cycle, which the older housemates said was same as all the previous months (with just 3 housemates). Ack! We have 4 people now and electric hot water and stove though, so I've never been sure whether that's just normal for our situation at Perth Prices.

Melody, holy crap, the average for my house has been $1.5 PER PERSON per day. :( Do you have an electric stove?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #434 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:47 AM »
Burquena, I'll bring mine and then you can feel better about your bill...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 30, 2014, 08:21:54 PM »
11 October works for me! I'm east of the city, so "centrally located" sounds promising. Has this group ever met at Subi Station Markets?

We tend to sit around and talk for several hours, is there somewhere in/near Subi Station Markets that can handle a reasonably large crowd for a few hours? Somewhere in Subi that's good for breakfast? Subi is easy for me to get to, but I don't know it very well these days so I don't know where I'd suggest for a breakfast/brunch meetup.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: October 01, 2014, 04:39:38 PM »
I was also gonna suggest the maylands tranby house tea rooms for our next kid friendly one. More of a coffee place than a breakfast place tho.I don't know subi too well but happy to take suggestions. Hmmm $1.50 a day per person seems reasonable if you don't have gas. I am yet to get a gas bill since living alone, but when I shared they were about 50c a day per person. Stove is gas. I also don't have air con. My last electric is probally artificially high tho as I spent a lot of Time running my oil heater and as I pointed out am still with the old style light globes . I also had a lot of guests. (I have probally had a guest stay over nearly every second night between my sister visiting, my boyfriend staying over and my mum staying up here when she's had early starts for work)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: October 01, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
Also the biggest culprit other than air con is desk top computers. So if your housemates have them make sure they are getting switched off when not in use! Also air con, space heaters (especially fan heaters) and old fridges can all contribute. A dodgy old fridge can cost something like 70c a day by itself!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #438 on: October 01, 2014, 10:10:52 PM »
Our last electricity bill was for $3.80/day, and gas was $2.20/day. Lowest are $2.20/day electricity and $1.40 for gas. Gas hot water, stove, heater. Electric oven, ton of down lights in the main living area. New fridge and washing machine. My SO works from home, so there's computers on a lot of the day too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:15:13 PM by anatidaev »

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: October 02, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
Sounds like the 11th October is go?
We've got Burquena Abroad, Happier at Home, Anatidaev.
Happier, can you text Moestache and Miss Bee (I don't have their numbers) and see if they want to come too.

Also, counting down - would this work for you if we did something more friendly like Tranby Tea House (it's a tea room in a garden of an "early settlers" house. You have to pay to see the house but it' pretty fun and educational for kids. Also the tea room is essentially in a park so plenty of space for the kids to run :-) If not we'll see you next one.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: October 02, 2014, 05:04:47 PM »
I already texted Stripey :-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #441 on: October 02, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »
Happier, can you text Moestache and Miss Bee (I don't have their numbers) and see if they want to come too.

I don't have their numbers either! It's still a week away so a good chance that they'll see the thread...

So are we saying Subi/somewhere central for the 11th and then Tranby tea house for a more kid-friendly Meetup later on? Because Counting Down isn't available on the 11th according to her post, and I don't think anyone else is coming with kids on the 11th, so it should work out okay to have a non-kid-friendly Meetup on the 11th...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #442 on: October 02, 2014, 08:44:28 PM »
I thought Stripey had all the numbers. I know Miss Bee often comes without posting here.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #443 on: October 03, 2014, 05:13:00 AM »
Am pretty sure I have their numbers but they're at home. I will sms tomorrow ;)

coin

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: October 03, 2014, 08:15:41 AM »
I'm still ok to go whenever, just tell me where (and possibly tell me what you all will be wearing or something so I can recognise you all).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #445 on: October 03, 2014, 08:30:17 AM »
Well we'll be wearing clothes with stripes on them, and I'll bring a mustache on a stick. But someone else has to say where we're meeting!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #446 on: October 03, 2014, 05:25:01 PM »
Well we'll be wearing clothes with stripes on them, and I'll bring a mustache on a stick. But someone else has to say where we're meeting!

Given that I don't know any breakfast places in subi, I'm going to propose that we go to shots on lake (lake st, northbridge) again. I liked that place a lot :-)

How early this time? 9?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: October 03, 2014, 07:01:40 PM »
9 at shots sounds amazing :) I will be there with stripes on ;-)

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #448 on: October 03, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
I've seen the the thread! Count me in :)

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #449 on: October 04, 2014, 12:45:17 AM »
Definitely can't do this one but Tranby House for next one sounds good. If anyone else has kids my girls would love some playmates that day :)