Author Topic: Perth Meetup! (Australia)  (Read 435100 times)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
Re: Perth Meetup! (Australia)
« Reply #300 on: May 23, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
I won't be heading to shots this morning; too many last night and I'm not good for anything today.

Nope, not a hangover, actually sick. Waa. I really wanted more of those potato cakes.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #301 on: May 24, 2014, 01:16:10 AM »
Aw, that sucks. I hope you feel better soon!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #302 on: May 24, 2014, 07:28:07 AM »
Ok here's some follow-up on some stuff we discussed today:

1) Wild edible things to forage in the suburbs:

Check out this group from Melbourne: http://www.eatthatweed.com/ I was given the handbook on the website as a gift from my parents which I can being along to a future meetup if anyone is interested. In Perth I have found: Sow thistle, plaintain, dock, sorrel, blackberry nightshade, wild brassica, wild lettuce, blackberries (only occasionally), fennel (although all the ones I have seen look very tough), cleavers, oxalis ('soursob'- my backyard is full of it!), nasturtium, mallow, prickly pear. I haven't seen many true dandelions over here- there is a similar species everywhere called 'cat's-ears' and although it is edible it is too bitter for me to want to eat. I haven't really encountered nettles, Warrigal greens, wild celery, sheep's-sorrel, wild onion or wild roses much in Perth. Pity, I really like nettle gnocci! I do intend to ask my neighbours about their olives which are so ripe they're falling from the tree, and their peppercorns too.

2) Coffees:

I tend to buy something with a recent roast date from one of the local coffee brands (Rubra and 5 Senses are based in Perth)- whatever I can see. If the roast date isn't on there, look at the 'best before' sticker and subtract a year from it. However another option is pick your favourite non-franchise cafe- if you like their coffee and you can see they grind their own beans, ask them to sell you a bag. Many are happy to oblige.

@Happier, I hope you do feel better.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #303 on: May 27, 2014, 07:30:38 AM »
After trawling through the forums, I thought our next meet up should be afternoon and possibly kid-friendly if the mustachians with children would like to join? There's some great parks around, I'm sure we could find somewhere with an undercover area in case of too hot/ rain.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: June 02, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
After trawling through the forums, I thought our next meet up should be afternoon and possibly kid-friendly if the mustachians with children would like to join? There's some great parks around, I'm sure we could find somewhere with an undercover area in case of too hot/ rain.

Which parks where you thinking of?

After missing the last Meetup I'm mad-keen for a June one... How's everyone's availability in June? After this weekend (7/8) I'm pretty much available anytime if we organise it far enough in advance.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #305 on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
Something near a train station so it's easy to get to? Two options I have so far are:
  • Stirling memorial/civic gardens, near Stirling train station
  • um, I thought there was a park closer to canning bridge but but can't spot it on a map now...

Any other options are good!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #306 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:42 AM »
My best suggestions:

King's Park (we all got sunburnt last time, but this time we could sit in the shade!).
UWA - surprisingly nice for picnics.
Subiaco - the big park next to Subi Oval - don't know the name but it's gorgeous.
East Perth - big park next to Claisebrook Cove - can find out the name if that sounds good to anyone.
McDougal park in Manning?

I think if we're meeting at a park we should have a map with an 'X' marked for where we'll be meeting up.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: June 03, 2014, 01:52:50 PM »
Would love to see you all anytime last weekend of june or later...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: June 03, 2014, 01:53:35 PM »
Claisebrook cove rocks... very bike friendly for those who are keen.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #309 on: June 06, 2014, 08:02:44 AM »
Last weekend of June works for me at this stage. Claisebrook cove sounds good.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #310 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »
Afternoon of Sunday the 29th of June?

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #311 on: June 08, 2014, 05:15:28 AM »
I'll have to pass on that one, sorry. Enjoy!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #312 on: June 08, 2014, 06:27:59 PM »
Afternoon of Sunday the 29th of June?

Sounds good to me!

Wildflame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #313 on: June 13, 2014, 06:46:29 AM »
Killingspree and I will be in Perth from 3-8 July, of which Saturday 5 July is likely to be no good (family birthday), but all the other days are free at this stage if some of you guys want to catch up. =)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: June 13, 2014, 08:12:03 AM »
Sounds fabulous-- but I won't be able to catch up (Dad's coming over from the east coast) but I bet the others would be able to organise something!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: June 15, 2014, 07:24:32 PM »
So shall we lock in Sunday 29th June, from say 2pm, at Claisebrook Cove? That's a very family-friendly place and time :-)

Killingspree and I will be in Perth from 3-8 July, of which Saturday 5 July is likely to be no good (family birthday), but all the other days are free at this stage if some of you guys want to catch up. =)

And do an 'extra credit' meetup say on Sunday 6 July with Wildflame and Killingspree? Or another date that works?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #316 on: June 15, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
Darn, I won't make this one.  ;-)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:52 PM »

We'll hold a special one just for you when you come to Perth!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #318 on: June 15, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
So shall we lock in Sunday 29th June, from say 2pm, at Claisebrook Cove? That's a very family-friendly place and time :-)

And do an 'extra credit' meetup say on Sunday 6 July with Wildflame and Killingspree? Or another date that works?

Those work for me! Shall I bug the new Perth MMMers with PMs or assume they'll find this on their own?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #319 on: June 15, 2014, 08:14:32 PM »

Awesome!!  I will be an honorary member of the Perth MMM group, then?  Yes!!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: June 15, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »

Those work for me! Shall I bug the new Perth MMMers with PMs or assume they'll find this on their own?

Always worth a friendly PM, then if they're not interested they can just ignore it anyway :-)

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #321 on: June 15, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

Awesome!!  I will be an honorary member of the Perth MMM group, then?  Yes!!

Absolutely- your journal rocks. Let us know *when* (not if!) you end up over here. Alternatively, I do occasionally end up in the US so there is a small possibility of having a very small (n= 2 if you count the both of us) 'Perth meetup' closer to you! :)

In case you're wondering, Perth is a small city- and (depending on what metrics are used) the most isolated state capital in the world (1.9 million, with the whole of Western Australia- that's the entire western third- only having a population of about 2.5 million). With a small population, a resources boom and good wages, it's hardly surprising there's quite a few people reading MMM here, and with such a urban population it's hardly surprising there's a rather active 'Perth meetup' group.

What does everyone think? I also think the possible economy 'plateau' and comparison with the 'cashed up bogan' probably makes reading things like Pete Wargent, 'Mutilate the mortgage' and MMM  more popular.

(I don't think I could fly-in-fly-out though, even for $200k. Although one of the ladies I graduated with has never used her professional degree- she went straight back out to the mines and still loves it)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:35:03 PM by stripey »

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: June 18, 2014, 07:37:53 PM »
In case you're wondering, Perth is a small city- and (depending on what metrics are used) the most isolated state capital in the world (1.9 million, with the whole of Western Australia- that's the entire western third- only having a population of about 2.5 million). With a small population, a resources boom and good wages, it's hardly surprising there's quite a few people reading MMM here, and with such a urban population it's hardly surprising there's a rather active 'Perth meetup' group.

What does everyone think? I also think the possible economy 'plateau' and comparison with the 'cashed up bogan' probably makes reading things like Pete Wargent, 'Mutilate the mortgage' and MMM  more popular.

(I don't think I could fly-in-fly-out though, even for $200k. Although one of the ladies I graduated with has never used her professional degree- she went straight back out to the mines and still loves it)

I think that the property boom has increased the level of awareness among young people that oh shit, being a grown up is expensive, which then leads to reading sites like this. I was discussing this with one of my colleagues (the one who's started reading the forums - hi!!) and I feel like our generation is also just more motivated to design our own lifestyles / think outside the box, because we've seen that the "9-5 until 65" has actually been kind of crappy for our parents, older colleagues etc.

I think it's very cool that we have so many Mustachians here, and that so many of them are interested in making new friends.

Re: FIFO - fuck no. I couldn't do that. I admire those who can. Even 40 hours of work a week is too much for me to do long term.

EngineerMum

• Stubble
  • Working towards moderate badassity
« Reply #323 on: June 20, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
Yay! A meetup that I know about before it happens! Thanks for the PM, I'd love to come along on the 29th. Whereabouts at Claisebrook Cove? The park on the south side?

Re working FIFO. I should have done it for a couple of years when I first graduated and saved a decent nest egg. I could have, but my BF didn't like the idea of living apart, and obviously now that we're married with a child it's not something I'd choose now.

TB_J

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
Hi Perth crew,

Just thought I'd say G'day. Long time reader but only recently started a journal here.

Hope to meet some of you around the traps.

BTW I'm a mid 20's male... just to throw a spanner into the demographics.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2014, 12:19:01 AM »
Welcome! Always good to hear from new/different folks. And good to have a spanner chucked into the demographics too- although not everyone is in the twenty-something-female demographic it does seem to be over-represented.

As you've probably gathered, meetups tend to be relatively regular, with some people attending most and some (ahem, people like me) being a bit more sporadic. There's also a great variation in how hardcore people are (with people like me being, ahem, less hardcore). Most (all?) the meetups have been rather central, although I would be keen to try out some slightly further afield (as long as it's Transperth-friendly).

So yeah, do feel free to come along.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2014, 05:25:15 AM »
Can't do Sunday afternoons... so 29th is out unless I can shuffle band to a Saturday.
Can do "extra credit" on 6 July if it's early and local (Northbridge). I need to be home by 1pm latest. So 9 or 10am works...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:16 PM »
Can do "extra credit" on 6 July if it's early and local (Northbridge). I need to be home by 1pm latest. So 9 or 10am works...

Will that time work for our visitors from the Eastern States? Nice brekkie/brunch in Northbridge sounds good to me :-)

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:45 AM »

So! I'll be slightly late as I've got a family lunch, but we need a meet up colour so newbies can find us. What haven't we used yet?

moestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #329 on: June 25, 2014, 05:31:18 AM »
Sunday 29th and brekkie/brunch on 6 July works with me.

How about the colour green? Can't remember it being used before?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: June 25, 2014, 06:37:17 AM »
Sounds good - I have bright green :-)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: June 25, 2014, 05:39:04 PM »
Any cafe suggestions for the 6th of July?
If the weather is nice, I know a really good coffee place (but no food) in Maylands... maybe we can hold it over for another meetup though. As it could also work for a kid friendly meetup (tranby house cafe on the banks of the swan river, has heaps of place for kids to run around).
For food, shots isn't open Sundays :-( Does anyone have any other good ideas for places that let you hang a long time?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: June 25, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
Any cafe suggestions for the 6th of July?
If the weather is nice, I know a really good coffee place (but no food) in Maylands... maybe we can hold it over for another meetup though. As it could also work for a kid friendly meetup (tranby house cafe on the banks of the swan river, has heaps of place for kids to run around).
For food, shots isn't open Sundays :-( Does anyone have any other good ideas for places that let you hang a long time?
Tranby House? My great great grandparents came out on the Tranby to Swan River!

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
Hey guys thanks a mill for the invite. I'm going to give the next 2 a miss they're too far for me to bring kids but if you guys ever meet up further south I would be up for it.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #334 on: June 26, 2014, 02:20:08 AM »
Sounds good - I have bright green :-)
+1 from me too. As Melody previously guessed, my wardrobe contains significant quantities of green...

I just read on Freckle's journal that she's hosting a potluck meet up! With it cold and rainy, I propose a toasty warm meet up at my place later in July or August.

Wildflame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #335 on: June 26, 2014, 03:02:43 AM »
A Sun morning meetup on the 6th would be good, from 9 or 10am to midday or so would work great. =)
Doesn't need to be a big huge thing. We're happy with any place - even a lame old Dome would do so long as it isn't too loud. Ideally it would be reachable with PT and a reasonable (2-3km) trot - we may be able to arrange a car but cannot guarantee it. Or if it is a bit off the beaten track, maybe we could hitch a lift? We'll be based in Bull Creek. Worst case we can PT 90% there and take a cab.

@TB_J: If you can come along on the morning of July 6th, I'm a mid-twenties bloke too. Born'n'bred Perth but currently in Melbourne, hence the FIFO meetup. =P

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: June 26, 2014, 07:37:48 PM »
So do we know exactly where we're meeting up in Claisebrook Cove? The idea I have in mind is not the paved part, but the grassy picnic part to the East of the paved cove bit, probably down close to the water rather than up on the hill... is that what others had in mind too?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #337 on: June 26, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
So do we know exactly where we're meeting up in Claisebrook Cove? The idea I have in mind is not the paved part, but the grassy picnic part to the East of the paved cove bit, probably down close to the water rather than up on the hill... is that what others had in mind too?

From what I can see off Google maps, that would be off Royal St, then towards to water? Seems a nice clear area where we should be able to spot a group of green people.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2014, 05:18:15 AM »
A Sun morning meetup on the 6th would be good, from 9 or 10am to midday or so would work great. =)
Doesn't need to be a big huge thing. We're happy with any place - even a lame old Dome would do so long as it isn't too loud. Ideally it would be reachable with PT and a reasonable (2-3km) trot - we may be able to arrange a car but cannot guarantee it. Or if it is a bit off the beaten track, maybe we could hitch a lift? We'll be based in Bull Creek. Worst case we can PT 90% there and take a cab.

@TB_J: If you can come along on the morning of July 6th, I'm a mid-twenties bloke too. Born'n'bred Perth but currently in Melbourne, hence the FIFO meetup. =P

We were thinking somewhere within 1km of Perth train station :-)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2014, 05:22:29 AM »
Hey guys thanks a mill for the invite. I'm going to give the next 2 a miss they're too far for me to bring kids but if you guys ever meet up further south I would be up for it.

How about a meet up down near Rockingham on a future date - Maybe even a MMM beach picnic at the foreshore if the weather is better? Otherwise they have a lot of cafes overlooking the beach. It seems we have quite a few Mandurah people on the boards and I know a lot of the other MMMer's live in the inner southern suburbs, so Rockingham would be a reasonable compromise.

(Only bad thing is it's about 3km or so from the station, but there are buses.)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #340 on: June 28, 2014, 10:44:06 PM »
Today's meetup is basically a picnic, right? Because I made rocky road to bring...

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #341 on: June 28, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »
I'm bringing cheese and crackers

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2014, 12:04:46 AM »
I'm here! But I can't see anyone else...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: June 29, 2014, 12:22:42 AM »
We're on the hill at the south end of the bridge!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #344 on: June 29, 2014, 01:24:19 AM »
We're a group of 5 and a small pink creature if anyone else is thinking of turning up

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:17 AM »
So for next Sunday, we're trying to find somewhere good for brekkie in the perth/northbridge/mount lawley area?

If we can't think of anywhere else, the dome in mount lawley is good at poached eggs.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #346 on: July 01, 2014, 02:16:30 AM »
*Bump*

Anyone have thoughts on a location for Sunday?

Counting Down

• Stubble
« Reply #347 on: July 01, 2014, 02:27:46 AM »

How about a meet up down near Rockingham on a future date - Maybe even a MMM beach picnic at the foreshore if the weather is better? Otherwise they have a lot of cafes overlooking the beach. It seems we have quite a few Mandurah people on the boards and I know a lot of the other MMMer's live in the inner southern suburbs, so Rockingham would be a reasonable compromise.

(Only bad thing is it's about 3km or so from the station, but there are buses.)

Rockingham would be great for me and picnic sounds fab let me know if it suits anyone else. I'm busy weekend 12th/13th July and most of August but any other time.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: July 01, 2014, 06:00:44 AM »
How about the little bird in Northbridge?  It used to be called the overflow and never really appealed to me then but since its revamp it looks quite good. Cnr newcastle and lake, opposite shots. Quite big and has live acoustic music on sundays so it seems like they wouldn't mind table hoggers. Otherwise I have heard planet (next to planet video) has good food... not sure about the table hogging situation there tho... Northbridge might be kinder to those relying on transperth...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: July 03, 2014, 01:34:44 AM »
How about Little Bird from 9am on Sunday, then?