Poll

When do you want to go to Winnipeg? Read first post for more details on the options.

The week before CMC2018-TO - About Sept 15-18 - weather variable
2 (10.5%)
In the middle of the summer - 2nd week of July - weather likely to be hot
2 (10.5%)
Either is fine with me
2 (10.5%)
I can't go but still want to vote
9 (47.4%)
I have another option and have noted it in the thread
2 (10.5%)
Early June - warm weather hopefully
0 (0%)
Late August - warm weather hopefully
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Party at Snacky's house - Summer 2018!  (Read 16688 times)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Party at Snacky's house - Summer 2018!
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »
Update re: poll.
We should pick dates so people can plan.
Although we can't predict the weather definitely, Winnipeg is quite consistently hot in July (30C ish). June is usually warm. August is normally warm. September can start to get a bit chilly, possibly rainy. It's hard to know.
In the mid-summer it can be too hot for intense outdoor activities - hours of walking.

Also, Prospector suggested that some people might like to combine their trips - see Winnipeg and then attend the CMC near Brantford. These are about a 20 hour drive from each other. So 2 or 3 days - depending on how much you like driving.

So if there is some chance of you coming, let us know what you prefer. Likely hot, near CMC, or early June/late August when it's likely warm but not crazy hot.

Advertisement for party:
Have you always wanted to party with Snacky, but just didn’t know how to find her?

Come to Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in the summer of 2018 and there is at least a chance she will make herself findable.

Being only a seven-hour drive from the Twin Cities, a two days drive from Toronto or Vancouver, and ONLY 1 hour from North Dakota, Winnipeg is truly a city in the centre of it all.

If you’ve never been to the Canadian prairies, this is a must-see adventure for you. Located near the east-west geographical centre of Canada, Winnipeg was built on the convergence of two rivers, making it one of the oldest trading sites in Canada. This is reflected in the numerous historic buildings and the streets named after prostitutes.

If architecture is your thing then you’ll find a fascinating mix of old and modern. Winnipeg is a city for all tastes.

The city is known for being friendly, liberal, artsy and culturally diverse. It is very walkable and there are plenty of parks and outdoor people-watching spots.

Winnipeg is also the home of the Royal Canadian Mint (MONEY!) and Canadian Museum for Human Rights (I’m boycotting, but I’ve heard it’s cool).

Tours provided by myself will include: a fake hill, mansion lane, creepy cemetery, a huge variety of food options, and more trees than your eyes can handle. Apparently, there is also something at the zoo called a, um, “Polarbear”, if I’m pronouncing that correctly. I prefer the butterflies.

Getting here is easy as there is an international airport conveniently located in the middle of the city (suck-it, Edmonton!). There are also roads going both in AND out of the city (recent upgrade!)

Remember, for the Americans, it will be extra affordable. (Bring an extra suitcase for ketchup chips and chocolate bars.) For the Canadians it will be moderately affordable (suck-it, Vancouver!).

If you are interested but don’t have a flexible schedule tell me what dates might work for you. I’d recommend June, when it’s most likely to be warm, but not so hot that outdoor activities become difficult*. Also, kids are still in school so campgrounds and the beach (yes, siree, there is a large beach only an hour away.)

*KMMK cannot and does not make any guarantees in regards to the weather in Winnipeg. Choose clothes at your own risk.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:21:29 PM by KMMK »

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
Re: Party at Snacky's house - Summer 2018!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
KMMK, your write up made this sound incredibly appealing. Or made me laugh a lot.

I committed minutes earlier to CMC, meaning summer is in-between my international travel and CMC commitments. I will stay tuned in case I win a lottery or inherit and am able to come.

I have a first cousin in Winnipeg who could do slam poetry or a music installation for us

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:58:24 PM »
KMMK, your write up made this sound incredibly appealing. Or made me laugh a lot.

Seconded.

I'm also doing CMC, so this may or may not be doable. Would love to go and experience all the streets named after prostitutes!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
If my tenants don't mind you can tour an actual historical brothel.

**NOTE*** It is not a current brothel. 100 years ago it was.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
I will stay tuned in case I win a lottery or inherit and am able to come.

+1 because I love snacky and have never been to Hoth.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 01:17:20 PM »
This is very tempting.  I was born in Winnipeg but my family moved to Vancouver when I was two so have no memories.  I've never been back either.  Might just have to do it!!! 

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:20:26 PM »
This is very tempting.  I was born in Winnipeg but my family moved to Vancouver when I was two so have no memories.  I've never been back either.  Might just have to do it!!!

That'd be awesome! I'd love to hang with you more.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
I have never been to North Dakota and I love planning in advance!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 01:45:40 PM »
Hmmmm...  Possibilities.  If things stay stable (yeah, right) between now and then this could be doable.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:33 PM »
Following, cause every Canadian Mustachian I've met has been awesome, and I have it on good authority that snacky may be the best of them.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 03:04:17 PM »
Just two full days drive!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
Who wouldn't love a place where the main selling points are only 1 hour from North Dakota and streets named after prostitutes?

KMMK, you're funny. :D

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »
Well, one of my plans for the Summer is a visit to South Dakota.  That's just one Dakota plus one hour away!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:30:50 PM by Cherry Lane »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 04:03:55 PM »
I am following both this and CMC even though the odds that I will have enough money and child care to go to Canada even once seem remote. But why not dream?

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 04:27:13 PM »
Extremely unlikely, but following with interest, because you never know!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »
I am following both this and CMC even though the odds that I will have enough money and child care to go to Canada even once seem remote. But why not dream?

The difference between dreams and goals is planning and execution.

You can do it!!!

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 05:51:09 PM »
So if I plan carefully I can eat the finest sushi off a unicorn's butt?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »

The difference between dreams and goals is planning and execution.

You can do it!!!

+1!  MJ can ALC you into doing the thing, if needed!

Make sure you have both of Prosp's ingredients though... the French Revolution had lots of the latter, not enough of the former. We don't want to see that again.

Also if the childcare thing can be figured out, I'd be happy to help you travel hack your way to make the event itself cheap (possibly free; starting early on this is big).  :)

So if I plan carefully I can eat the finest sushi off a unicorn's butt?

I prefer to pluck it from their horns, but if eating off butts is your wish, who am I to judge?  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
I was in Winnipeg in '98 for our first anniversary.  I loved it.  Beautiful city.  Stayed in Wolsley (I think - downtownish near one the rivers).  Great food.  And they have done a whole bunch of new projects that would be cool to check out.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks a Banger Rally from SnackyFest to CMC would be a kick-ass way to end the summer?

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 07:50:12 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks a Banger Rally from SnackyFest to CMC would be a kick-ass way to end the summer?

I am in, depending on what "Banger" means in this context.  I don't eat sausages and my husband generally disapproves of banging where he isn't involved.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 07:52:38 PM »

I am in, depending on what "Banger" means in this context.  I don't eat sausages and my husband generally disapproves of banging where he isn't involved.

He is totally welcome!

;)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »

He is totally welcome!

;)

I will let him know about the banging SnackyFest/CMC.  =)

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 07:57:27 PM »
Following! Historical shit, trees, butterflies, and polar bears are all relevant to my interests and I don't take enough time off work anyway.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 10:24:47 PM »
Following!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 05:47:59 AM »
Is a dirty mind a requirement to be a mustachian, or just a common attribute?

Banger Rallies are super common in Europe - the idea is that you buy a wreck of a car as cheap as possible, decorate it up, and then drive to some destination. It is not a race, but it is a timed event, so the idea is to reach camp in, say, 20 hours. To the minute.

Often ridiculous rules work to make either the goal time, or the vehicle choice more difficult than expected for instance, car size could be limited to 2250 mm wheelbase and you must transport 2 inflated kiddy pools along with your gear.

Price point on the cars is "Anything cheaper than the lowest airfare from Winnipeg to Toronto on the day you sign up, with a max $500 repair budget" - things like this.

Traditionally these are done as a fundraiser - it would be cool to tag that component on to raise $$$ for the camp we use on the Ontario end and a charity of Snacky's choice on the Winnipeg end.

Sample rally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MOdWXQULo
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:50:30 AM by Prospector »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 06:03:49 AM »
But what car will be the price of free airline tickets with travel hacking?

I don't think CC reimburse the buying of vehicles as travel expenses!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 06:53:53 AM »

Plenty of CC points you can straight redeem for cash. It's suboptimal, but you absolutely can buy anything with points that you can charge to your CC.

sean777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 07:57:20 AM »
This sounds very tempting.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »
I will stay tuned in case I win a lottery or inherit and am able to come.

+1 because I love snacky and have never been to Hoth.

+2 although depending on when you have it, I may be fully invested in learning to care for a very small human, and not have any bandwidth for travel.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 09:35:07 AM »
But what car will be the price of free airline tickets with travel hacking?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/north-bay/2004-buick-rendezvous-suv-crossover/1307034327?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/2000-chrysler-cirrus-spares-or-repair/1307808991?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/2001-nissan-sentra/1307718916?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I wouldn't trust the first, but the other two will probably get us there.... Maybe back? We can always do a convoy, and have the kidney foundation on alert for those vehicles that won't make it. (I.E hopefully no more than half)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2017, 08:45:50 PM »
Hmm.  I will try - even after listening to the 'I Hate Winnipeg' video.

katscratch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
How did I not know that Winnipeg is barely a longer drive from here than to Chicago?!

G-dog

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
Interested!  When will we know the day? Are we all staying in/on the Snacky Estate?

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2017, 09:26:06 PM »
Interested!  When will we know the day? Are we all staying in/on the Snacky Estate?

I'll pick the day soon. See poll.

I don't think we are staying in the Snacky Estate. That is up to Snacky. Perhaps she will run a contest for one chosen person to stay with her - what is the best gift you can think of?

I have friends in the area, so may crash with them. Or an AirBNB. If we have enough people agreed ahead of time we could probably share an AirBNB.

There's also this hostel option: https://www.backpackerswinnipeg.com/
I've walked by it hundreds of times but haven't been inside. It's in a nice area for walking.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 12:25:30 AM »

I don't think we are staying in the Snacky Estate. That is up to Snacky. Perhaps she will run a contest for one chosen person to stay with her - what is the best gift you can think of?

Gift: Team baby-sittting. Snacky gets to nap FOREVER.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 07:41:05 AM »

I'll pick the day soon. See poll.

I have friends in the area, so may crash with them. Or an AirBNB. If we have enough people agreed ahead of time we could probably share an AirBNB.

There's also this hostel option: https://www.backpackerswinnipeg.com/
I've walked by it hundreds of times but haven't been inside. It's in a nice area for walking.
You really really understand us.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
Sometime either during, or situated so I can make my visit overlap with the 4th week of July would be best for me.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 03:56:31 AM »
Oh this would be so much fun! I could possibly make it up from the Twin Cities sometime in early or late July, depending on when you decide on dates. Or else my cavorting in streets named after prostitutes will have to wait til 2020 ;)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
I got acquainted with a snowbird woman here who lives in Winnipeg.  She was excited I may come to her city this summer.  It is looking more and more like I will make it.  The hostel solution sounds good to me.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2017, 07:26:09 PM »
Okay, so we have 1 vote for Sept, 1 for August and 2 for end of July, so going to say end of July. I'm thinking to be there from about July 25 to July 30. What do you all think? If you can show up somewhere within that range, that'd be awesome. I have numerous people to visit, so I don't expect everyone to stay that many days, obviously.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2017, 06:38:30 PM »
You lost me at beets.  The rest sounds cool, though.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »
Also, I can coordinate canoe/kayak/dragon boating and feed you all beets.

Yes!  [Even (especially?) the beets.]

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2017, 07:47:45 PM »
Well, now that beets are on the table I may have to really try to come.

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »
I can be there for the 20th weekend, or the 28th weekend.  I'll be in town anyway and the earlier date probably works better for me.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2018, 09:41:12 PM »
My July weekends are clear. Probably I have room to house a bunch of you hooligans.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2018, 09:36:34 AM »
If I kayak and learn what dragon boats can I skip the beets?

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2018, 06:28:03 PM »
Basically any dog-adverse people will have to get a hotel, I think.

And sun hat, I would still love to have you over. Maybe after I stop having a cold, though.