Author Topic: Orlando, FL  (Read 95581 times)

lexde

• Magnum Stache
Re: Orlando, FL
« Reply #200 on: November 09, 2018, 08:20:58 AM »
Few more places:

King Bao is cheap and good

Pom Pom’s Teahouse & Sandwicheria (Pom owns Tako Cheena)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: November 09, 2018, 11:17:43 PM »
So where are we going? :)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2018, 08:27:27 AM »
So where are we going? :)

Let's go with:

11/18 - 12:00 PM
King Bao
https://www.yelp.com/biz/king-bao-orlando?osq=king+bao
710 N Mills Ave
Orlando, FL 32803

I've never been here, but it looks like there is parking in the rear - as opposed to trying to parallel park on Mills.

Look for the pig!

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2018, 10:15:01 AM »
See you there!

Bill

tkc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
sorry! I am out of town

Random Hangers

• Stubble
  • I'm Christine, nice to meetcha
« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »
See you Sunday!

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »
Won’t be able to make it.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: December 19, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »
Anyone going to Camp FI in January?

I am signed up for the first weekend.

tkc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
time for another meetup?

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »
Hello Friends,

A new Orlando FI/FIRE group is starting up, https://www.meetup.com/Orlando-FI/, and you are all invited! Please click the About page's "Read more" link, to read more details about the group.

This group will be a blend of various FI communities, including: Mr. Money Mustache, ChooseFI, Bogleheads, Clark Howard, Dave Ramsey-FPU (Financial Peace University), ERE (Early Retirement Extreme), "Your Money or Your Life", Cashflow, “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”, AARP, and FinCon communities.

We'll have an informal "Meet & Greet" this Saturday, 3/23, from 9 to 10 am, at the Starbucks inside the Barnes & Noble bookstore, at 7900 W Sand Lake Rd, Orlando, FL... more info is posted at https://www.meetup.com/Orlando-FI/events/259665573/

I hope you guys can all attend and share your empowering MMM knowledge!

Thanks!
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 05:15:36 PM by Kevin4FIRE »

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #210 on: March 22, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »
Sand Lake is my neck of the woods; I'll try to swing by.

Then perhaps we can pick up MMM meetups in April, depending on folks' availability?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2019, 06:24:46 AM »
Hey @Random Hangers! April meetup sounds good, I should be around 4/14 or 4/28 (assuming Sunday's are still the preferred days).

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2019, 02:38:00 PM »
Sunday, 4/14 would be great.
Preferences on a location?

Went to Kevin4FIRE's meetup on Saturday (@PseudoStache, I think you met him at FinCon?). There was a great turnout of 10, with backgrounds from Dave Ramsey, Choose FI, MMM (that would be me...and let me tell you I felt SUPER mustachian by walking there from my house!!!), and just the general Orlando FI meetup page. Once he gets past the meet-and-greet stage, Kevin's going to try to keep to a regularly monthly meeting (same time, same location) and asked everyone what they'd like to get out of it. It was cool meeting folks from different backgrounds, particularly those that were a little older and trying to determine how best to make FI work for them.

Would hate to lose our little meetups, though (I feel like we have our MMM-specific nerdery to bring us together, lol), but we'll see how much we overlap, who shows up to what, etc. I assume Kevin will mention when the next meeting is and I'm more than happy to check it out and report back as they get up and running.

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #213 on: March 30, 2019, 01:47:36 PM »

Went to Kevin4FIRE's meetup on Saturday (@PseudoStache, I think you met him at FinCon?). There was a great turnout of 10, with backgrounds from Dave Ramsey, Choose FI, MMM (that would be me...and let me tell you I felt SUPER mustachian by walking there from my house!!!), and just the general Orlando FI meetup page. Once he gets past the meet-and-greet stage, Kevin's going to try to keep to a regularly monthly meeting (same time, same location) and asked everyone what they'd like to get out of it. It was cool meeting folks from different backgrounds, particularly those that were a little older and trying to determine how best to make FI work for them.

Would hate to lose our little meetups, though (I feel like we have our MMM-specific nerdery to bring us together, lol), but we'll see how much we overlap, who shows up to what, etc. I assume Kevin will mention when the next meeting is and I'm more than happy to check it out and report back as they get up and running.
Hi Christine, Thanks for attending the meet & greet last week! It was great to meet you and everyone else who attended! I appreciate your inputs and advice about the group, and about the work we all do to empower all folks on their FIRE journeys!

I look forward to supporting this MMM group, and every other FI/FIRE group... Every group does its part to support and empower everyone here in Central Florida!

I'll look forward to attending 4/14, or whenever the MMM group meets up! I want to support you guys and the entire FI community any way I can. Thanks for empowering the community!

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #214 on: March 30, 2019, 01:57:43 PM »
Hello Friends,

You are all invited to another informal Orlando FI "Meet & Greet", this time on the North side of Orlando, in Altamonte Springs, Saturday, 4/6, from 9 to 10 am, at the Starbucks inside the Barnes & Noble bookstore, in Altamonte Mall... more info is posted at https://www.meetup.com/Orlando-FI/events/260204919/

Please attend and share your empowering MMM knowledge!

Thanks!
Kevin

Member of MMM, & Orlando FI https://www.meetup.com/Orlando-FI/

PS - Once the new FI group starts regular, monthly meetings, I will ask you guys to come and talk to everyone in the new group about Mustachianism, and how MMM has empowered us!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:10:26 PM by Kevin4FIRE »

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2019, 06:52:03 AM »

How about Hawkers? 4/14 in early celebration of tax day. Glad the other meetup went well!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2019, 09:36:13 AM »
I'm down for Hawkers! Don't think they take ressies, so I'll try to get there a little early to secure a table.

Noon on Sunday, 4/14
Hawkers Asian Street Fare
1103 N Mills Ave
https://eathawkers.com/menu/

Anyone else care to join R&W and I?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2019, 01:14:48 PM »
Just got back from vacation and seeing some new posts in here!

Yay!

I'll be at both the 4/6 and 4/14!

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2019, 06:14:29 PM »
Just got back from vacation and seeing some new posts in here!

Yay!

I'll be at both the 4/6 and 4/14!

Great! Im looking forward to seeing you all at both the 4/6 and 4/14 meetups!

MikeO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »
Hi from South Orlando area (Kissimmee).

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2019, 06:43:40 AM »
Great see you then!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #221 on: April 09, 2019, 09:17:59 PM »
:( Change of plans for me - College dorm mate in town with his family, so I will not be able to attend.

Quite a number of folks showed up to the meetup that Kevin4FIRE setup this past weekend, and there may be a few attendees from that.

Hope to catch up with everyone soon!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:36 AM »
Hope to see you another time PseudoStache!

Unsure if anyone's met Rob Greenfield here in Orlando, he was just featured on Exploring Alternatives. He built a $1.5k tiny house, grows all his own food, recycles all waste and lives car free.

Pretty extreme minimalist low-impact lifestyle, but really interesting. Also has some cool community development projects, including an Orlando free fruit tree map, in case anyone wants free fruit: http://robgreenfield.tv/communityfruittrees/

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:34 PM »
I'm down for Hawkers! Don't think they take ressies, so I'll try to get there a little early to secure a table.

Noon on Sunday, 4/14
Hawkers Asian Street Fare
1103 N Mills Ave
https://eathawkers.com/menu/

See ya all there!

PS - This MMM event is also mentioned in the Orlando Choose FI group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/146962302696856/
and with the Orlando FI Club:
https://www.meetup.com/Orlando-FI/events/260587744/

So I'm hoping we get more MMM members!

Thanks!
Kevin
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:47:39 PM by Kevin4FIRE »

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2019, 02:10:17 PM »
:( Change of plans for me - College dorm mate in town with his family, so I will not be able to attend.

Quite a number of folks showed up to the meetup that Kevin4FIRE setup this past weekend, and there may be a few attendees from that.

Hope to catch up with everyone soon!
Hi JJ, Sorry to hear you can't attend!  Any chance you could bring your college dorm mate and his family to the MMM meetup?

Since it sounds like we won't have your MMM piggy bank to guide us to the table, I'll bring a "MMM" sign to put on the table, as we expect a few new folks from the ChooseFI and Orlando FI groups to join us at this MMM meetup, so they can find us more easily.

Enjoy your visit with your college dorm mate!

Thanks,
Kevin

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2019, 04:58:13 AM »
So...I threw out my back yesterday, and it's painful enough today that I'll be visiting CentraCare instead of going to our meetup. Not what I prefer to be doing, I assure you. Hope I can catch the next one, and let me know if Hawkers is as delicious as I've heard.

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2019, 07:01:09 AM »
So...I threw out my back yesterday, and it's painful enough today that I'll be visiting CentraCare instead of going to our meetup. Not what I prefer to be doing, I assure you. Hope I can catch the next one, and let me know if Hawkers is as delicious as I've heard.
Ouch! I'm very sorry to hear that, Christine! I hope you have a full and speedy recovery!

How about Hawkers? 4/14 in early celebration of tax day. Glad the other meetup went well!
Hi R&W, You're still going to Hawkers for today's Noon meetup, right? I'm looking forward to meeting you there!

Thanks,
Kevin

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2019, 07:19:41 AM »
Sorry to hear that @Random Hangers, rest up and feel better! I'm gonna catch the next meetup too. Take care all!

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2019, 07:46:08 AM »
Hi from South Orlando area (Kissimmee).
Hi Mike, and Welcome to the MMM Orlando group!  I'm also in the South Orlando area... near Sea World.

I look forward to meeting you at one of our meetups!
Kevin

Kevin4FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2019, 08:29:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that @Random Hangers, rest up and feel better! I'm gonna catch the next meetup too. Take care all!
Missed you guys at today's MMM meetup!

We had a good turnout at today's MMM meetup at Hawkers, with five of us attending... We had fun discussing MMM, FinCon, ChooseFI, Dave Ramsey-FPU's Baby Steps, Rich Dad Poor Dad ideas, FI advice in general... sharing househacking experiences and advice, and discussed the Maverick podcast about FI with Matt Bowles... plus we enjoyed great food! (I had the Singapore Mei Fun, a delicious favorite!)

See ya all next time!
Kevin
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 08:47:51 PM by Kevin4FIRE »

BenjaminPP

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: May 15, 2019, 03:59:50 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm born and raised in Orlando and living the FI life. I would love to meet other people on the same path. When and where is the next meetup?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #231 on: July 01, 2019, 10:51:52 PM »
Hello Orlando!

I've been MIA (not in in Miami) with my new rat race role.... but wanted to see if anyone else was planning to head to this:
www.tugg.com/events/playing-with-fire-1atl

Monday, Jul. 8, 2019 7:30pm – 9:01pm
Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 & IMAX
9101 International Dr, Orlando, FL 32819

It's a screening of that Playing with FIRE movie over at Pointe Orlando (I-Drive)

It looks like the organizer of the screening is planning a meetup at Marlowe's Tavern after the movie which is a bit late.

If anyone else is interested in going let us know!
And if there is interest in meeting BEFORE the movie - between 5-7 for dinner/snacks - Happy to try to setup something.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »
Thanks for posting that @PseudoStache! I won't be around then, but curious what you (and others) think if you make it. There have been mixed reactions in the Playing with Fire thread.

Interesting to see the event host is The Young Retiree by 33, https://www.theyoungretireeby33.com/. Should be a good event!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2019, 06:03:30 AM »
Also @PseudoStache , unsure if you saw Mad Fientist's recent Mortgage Payoff Experiment post: https://www.madfientist.com/mortgage-payoff-experiment/ Hope your experiment is going well!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #234 on: July 03, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
Also @PseudoStache , unsure if you saw Mad Fientist's recent Mortgage Payoff Experiment post: https://www.madfientist.com/mortgage-payoff-experiment/ Hope your experiment is going well!

Thanks for the link @Roots&Wings ! 

I skimmed and didn't review the math, but his experiment appears to be based on a investing/paying-off with a substantial lump sum ($200K) - So his "gain" of $13K over his mortgage appears to be significant.... but as he implies, a bear market could wipe that all out and he'd be singing a different tune.

My "experiment" differs in that my bucket started from $0 and I was funneling what I would have paid extra on my monthly payment into it... so my "gains" have been very slight, and if you account for the monthly interest, I'd be negative... especially up front like this... probably wouldn't see the postive/cross over point for several years.

Right now, I'm playing chicken with the market a bit.

I have abstained from contributing to the experimental bucket - and have been paying more towards the mortgage - but that money is still in there, so we'll see how it goes :)

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #235 on: July 03, 2019, 07:25:41 AM »
Buying tickets to the movie now (seems a little weird to be buying tickets for something that will likely be preaching that I shouldn't be spending any money, but I'm willing to support the community, preaching be damned, lol).

PseudoStache, if I get off work in a timely manner (fingers crossed), I should be able to get there around 6:30p or so. Would love to catch up, since I don't think I'm aware of what your new rat race role entails.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #236 on: July 03, 2019, 07:45:06 AM »
Buying tickets to the movie now (seems a little weird to be buying tickets for something that will likely be preaching that I shouldn't be spending any money, but I'm willing to support the community, preaching be damned, lol).

PseudoStache, if I get off work in a timely manner (fingers crossed), I should be able to get there around 6:30p or so. Would love to catch up, since I don't think I'm aware of what your new rat race role entails.

I was thinking the same thing - and I believe this ticket is even more expensive than a normal one.

But will be nice to see what the larger community looks like and catch up with those of us on here that can make it!

Anyone else want to join?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #237 on: July 07, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
Just a quick note that a couple of us will be meeting up at Main Event on the ground floor (just below the theater) at 6:00 PM before heading up to the Movie a little after 7 to get seats.

Also, after the movie, there's Marlowe's.

Hope to see some of you there!

www.tugg.com/events/playing-with-fire-1atl

Monday, Jul. 8, 2019 7:30pm – 9:01pm
Regal Pointe Orlando Stadium 20 & IMAX
9101 International Dr, Orlando, FL 32819

It's a screening of that Playing with FIRE movie over at Pointe Orlando (I-Drive)

It looks like the organizer of the screening is planning a meetup at Marlowe's Tavern after the movie which is a bit late.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »
Was great seeing folks and watching the movie. Anyone up for a meetup to discuss further? (And, well, to meet up :))

This Sunday is probably too soon; how does next Sunday, 7/21 around noon, look for everyone?
Suggestion for a location welcome!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: July 12, 2019, 06:57:03 AM »
Hey @Random Hangers ! I'd love to catch up and hear more about the movie. On the chance this Sunday 7/14 isn't too soon, I have to go to Winter Park (REI store) in case that might work for lunch meetup and looks like there's Tamarind Indian Cuisine or Sakari Sushi nearby. Or next Sunday 7/21 should work too if that works better for others.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2019, 02:21:34 PM »
I should be available either of these Sundays (7/14 or 7/21) - and haven't been to Tamarind or Sakari - both sound great!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2019, 04:04:38 PM »
Ooh, I'm always down for Indian food.

@BenjaminPP, you around to join in, either this Sunday or next?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2019, 05:02:39 PM »
Figured 7/14 was a bit of a long shot :) How about we plan on 7/21 in case anyone else is able to join? @Random Hangers @PseudoStache that's great you'll be around!

Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12 pm
Tamarind Indian Cuisine
501 N. ORLANDO AVE. SUITE # 149
WINTER PARK, FL 32789

Hope to see you there!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2019, 07:57:50 PM »
Figured 7/14 was a bit of a long shot :) How about we plan on 7/21 in case anyone else is able to join? @Random Hangers @PseudoStache that's great you'll be around!

Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 12 pm
Tamarind Indian Cuisine
501 N. ORLANDO AVE. SUITE # 149
WINTER PARK, FL 32789

Hope to see you there!

I'll probably have a +1

See everyone next week!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #244 on: July 15, 2019, 08:41:14 PM »
I went to Bosporus today.  Next time I’ll visit tamarind. Hey Orlando I’m in ur city goin to ur meetup locations when ur not there

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: July 19, 2019, 11:15:39 AM »
Happy Friday!

Sounds like we might have 4 for the Sunday meetup. I'll try to get there first, but if not feel free to grab a table, and hope the pig can make it too!

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #246 on: July 20, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »
I have been working toward FI for some time and finally got onto this site. I wish I would have discovered this years ago. It would be great to meet some people with similar goal.

I will try to make the meet tomorrow. I have a potential buyer for my Goldwing tomorrow, but I will try to make it. 

Bernie

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »

Hopefully the meet went well.

I was unable to make it, but I sold my motorcycle.  :-)

I will keep an eye out for the next meet.

Bernie

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2019, 12:40:03 AM »

Hopefully the meet went well.

I was unable to make it, but I sold my motorcycle.  :-)

I will keep an eye out for the next meet.

Bernie

Congrats on the sale! 

Thanks to Roots for a really tasty recommendation - I'll definitely be back!

Always great to catch up.

Some of the things we discussed:
  • Thoughts on the Playing with Fire movie
  • Credit Card churning thought Kiva
  • Mortgage Recasts
  • Energy Savings: Solar Panels/HVAC/Thermostats
  • Potential RV life

I know we don't have much structure to when these lunch meetups happen.... but any thoughts on picking a "regular" monthly date?

Perhaps the third Sunday of every month at noon....  Locations TBD - but likely a Downtown/Winter Park/Off I-4 Centralized spot?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2019, 06:26:22 AM »
Always great to catch up.

Some of the things we discussed:
  • Thoughts on the Playing with Fire movie
  • Credit Card churning thought Kiva
  • Mortgage Recasts
  • Energy Savings: Solar Panels/HVAC/Thermostats
  • Potential RV life

I know we don't have much structure to when these lunch meetups happen.... but any thoughts on picking a "regular" monthly date?

Perhaps the third Sunday of every month at noon....  Locations TBD - but likely a Downtown/Winter Park/Off I-4 Centralized spot?

Don't forget rental properties, tiny houses, FinCon, and travel hacking! Good stuff :)

A more regular meet up sounds good.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 12:40:50 PM by Roots&Wings »