Author Topic: Orlando, FL  (Read 95588 times)

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Orlando, FL
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »
To echo Random Hangers, hope everyone is safe post-hurricane and getting back to normal. Being surrounded by this destruction is unsettling. The yard debris from my small yard alone will fill the garbage truck. Trying to schedule a roofer to fix a complex flashing leak is turning into a nightmare (and house mold). Overall very lucky though, and glad to be back home!

apkanne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2017, 02:58:11 PM »
Just joined MMM, glad to see there is an Orlando group! I work in east Orlando and live in Sanford. I'd love to meet up one day!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2017, 05:47:08 PM »
Howdy folks!

It's been a while... Let's make it happen next month!

How does lunch on October 15th sound?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »
Hey there, Orlando!  Just checking in to see if we have any interest in an October meetup.

I think we talked about Dandelion Communitea in the Mills50 area....

Also been meaning to try that Black Rooster taqueria nearby.

Love to see jow everyone's been doing these last couple of months!

dorf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 05:50:22 AM »

I'd be willing to go.  I keep saying that I'll go but then get distracted.

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
15th works for me.
Bill

Random Hangers

• Stubble
  • I'm Christine, nice to meetcha
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »
Ooh, never heard of Black Rooster but it looks cool. I'd be down forgiving that a try (in full disclosure, I would also show up for Dandelion, but figured you're looking for help on deciding where to go, lol).

Usually noon, right? I might actually be on time this time!

Thanks as always for coordinating, Pseudostache. :)

minafi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm Adam - a programmer, writer, board gamer.
    • Minafi
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2017, 11:53:40 AM »
Hey hey all! I'm newish to the forums, but long-time FI/Orlandoan (is that a word?). I'm down for the 15th at either Black Rooster or Dandelion. Black Rooster has some seriously good Guac, but I love the sweet potato burrito's at Dandy, so I'm split.

Thanks Random Hangers for the heads up about this.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »
That's enough "Yays" for me!

Let's make it happen:

==
Black Rooster Taqueria
www.blackroostertaqueria.com
1323 N Mills Ave, Orlando, FL 32803

Date: October 15th, 2017
Time: 12:00 PM
==

If you don't know what we look like when you get there, look for the pig!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2017, 12:11:05 PM »
Fun fact: I know Adam IRL so I can vouch that he's not super scary and/or a super scary spender.
I'll be sure to remind him about the 'new guy buys lunch for everyone' rule.

;-)

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
Fun fact: I know Adam IRL so I can vouch that he's not super scary and/or a super scary spender.

;-)

Adam - please don't hurt me when I say this.... but at first I got excited when I got a quick glance at your avatar/name - and I was like, that's not Adam Driver is it?

Because if Kylo Ren is going to be at the Black Rooster, this Meetup will be EPIC!

(BTW: Un-mustachian Star Wars tickets go on sale tonight!)

khotte

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Badass Mustachian Twins!
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »
That's enough "Yays" for me!

Let's make it happen:

==
Black Rooster Taqueria

==

Darn! I haven't been able to make one of these yet. Unfortunately I'll be in China on October 15th, but I'd love to do another one soon if we can!

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2017, 02:17:50 PM »
Sounds great!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
Darn! I haven't been able to make one of these yet. Unfortunately I'll be in China on October 15th, but I'd love to do another one soon if we can!

Hmmm... China or Tacos?  Priorities man!

These are generally monthly - but life and Irma threw us off a bit in July/August - Hopefully November will work out!

minafi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I'm Adam - a programmer, writer, board gamer.
    • Minafi
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 08:51:50 PM »

I knew this was a trap! So, now I have to recruit someone newer right?

Quote from: PseudoStache
Adam - please don't hurt me when I say this.... but at first I got excited when I got a quick glance at your avatar/name - and I was like, that's not Adam Driver is it?

Haha, you're not the first person to say that! When you see our height different it'll be hard for me to pass as him though. Littlefinger, on the other hand, I might be able to pull off.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2017, 11:27:33 AM »
Looking forward to Lunch tomorrow!

If anyone coming has implemented the Mega-Backdoor Roth through their 401K, would love to hear about it.
I think I've had this ability with my plan for quite a while and just didn't know it :(

==
Black Rooster Taqueria

==

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »
My tacos were awesome - I shall return.

And nice to meet a few new faces - and hear from someone actually FIREd!

Just so you think I'm not crazy regarding two of my topics:

Backdoor Roth "Seasoning"-
I'm not sure if there is consensus on this, but check out threads like this: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=207300

FEMA Flood Definition -
A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of 2 or more acres of normally dry land area or of 2 or more properties (at least 1 of which is the policyholder's property) from:
--Overflow of inland or tidal waters; or
--Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source; or
--Mudflow

I'll have to do a little more research/calling around for a definitive answer.

Till next month!

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2017, 10:17:26 PM »
Good to see there's a regular Orlando meet up group.

Following the thread so I can attend the November one -- hopefully I won't be on the road (Work in Sales).

Also interested in the CFRI group should anyone be going to the next meeting.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
Great meetup as usual! Many thanks to Pseudostache for keeping it going and faithfully bringing the pig.

We touched on this a bit, but what are everyone's thoughts on flood insurance? Insurance agent's quote tops out at $250k building/$100k content with a $450 annual premium.  The pricetag isn't bad, but not sure if it's worthwhile. Always wary of unnecessary insurance...

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
Great meetup as usual! Many thanks to Pseudostache for keeping it going and faithfully bringing the pig.

We touched on this a bit, but what are everyone's thoughts on flood insurance? Insurance agent's quote tops out at $250k building/$100k content with a $450 annual premium.  The pricetag isn't bad, but not sure if it's worthwhile. Always wary of unnecessary insurance...

I think each situation is different.  If I did not have a pool, I don't think I'd consider it.

I think Irma was a pretty good test.  If your home wasn't close to flooding, I'd say that it probably isn't necessary.

For those near bodies of water/retention ponds or streets where water did collect, I think there is a good case for it.  In my neighborhood the retention pond overflow was either clogged or could not keep up with the rate of rainfall and the folks around it were freaking out about it.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2017, 04:06:53 PM »
Good to see there's a regular Orlando meet up group.

Following the thread so I can attend the November one -- hopefully I won't be on the road (Work in Sales).

Also interested in the CFRI group should anyone be going to the next meeting.

Rhoon, I believe both Dorf and I are members - are you?

I don't think they've announced a speaker/topic yet, but I may finally get out there on Nov 1.

If you're definite about attending, let me know!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:05 AM »
PseudoStache, saw your note about getting together on the 18th. Alas, Saturdays aren't good for me, so I won't be able to attend this time. Maybe December!
You wanted to try Dandelion, right? Might be worth a try...

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
PseudoStache, saw your note about getting together on the 18th. Alas, Saturdays aren't good for me, so I won't be able to attend this time. Maybe December!
You wanted to try Dandelion, right? Might be worth a try...

Doh!  I actually meant Sunday the 19th!  I have 5 year old "priorities" to attend to on Saturday :)

Hey folks - anyone interested in doing a November 19th Meetup at Dandelion :P

Dandelion Cafe
dandelioncommunitea.com
618 N Thornton Ave, Orlando, FL 32803

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 10:43:32 AM »
Ooh, a vegan restaurant! Thorton Park area is lovely too. I can't usually do Sunday's but will try to make this.

And if anyone knows of any local PNC branches offering the $400 checking signup bonus, please share! Just missed it at 2 Winter Park branches, and the Mills Park branch.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 11:45:56 AM »
I'm in, whichever restaurant we choose (as long as there's easy parking; the downtown and surrounding areas scare me a little, lol).

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 11:33:26 AM »
I'm in, whichever restaurant we choose (as long as there's easy parking; the downtown and surrounding areas scare me a little, lol).

It's been a while since I've been to Little Saigon which is nearby, but I believe there are a couple of parking lots across the street from Dandelion.

Ooh, a vegan restaurant! Thorton Park area is lovely too. I can't usually do Sunday's but will try to make this.

And if anyone knows of any local PNC branches offering the $400 checking signup bonus, please share! Just missed it at 2 Winter Park branches, and the Mills Park branch.

I need to get onboard with these signup bonuses - not familiar with any PNC branches :(

I believe there is another vegan place in Winter Park near Park Ave - Ethos (I think?) that might be worth a shot at some point as well!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:52 AM »
^ Yes, Google shows plenty of parking around Dandelion. Hope to see you there!

Ethos in Winter Park is really good, and they have a lot of craft beer for anyone into that.

And signup bonuses are great fun! I'm at $3.5k year to date using $25k from cash emergency fund that would otherwise just sit earning 1.2% interest. It's not huge side money but at least covers estimated taxes. If you're looking to get started, 5/3 Bank $300 bonus could be a good one to go for.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:00:50 AM by Roots&Wings »

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: November 16, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »
^ Yes, Google shows plenty of parking around Dandelion. Hope to see you there!

Ethos in Winter Park is really good, and they have a lot of craft beer for anyone into that.

And signup bonuses are great fun! I'm at $3.5k year to date using $25k from cash emergency fund that would otherwise just sit earning 1.2% interest. It's not huge side money but at least covers estimated taxes. If you're looking to get started, 5/3 Bank $300 bonus could be a good one to go for.

I wasn't able to do that one online with my Zip Code :(  I did get the code emailed to me, so I may go into a branch.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #78 on: November 16, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
Howdy! I currently live in the Ft Myers area, but considering a move to Sanford (other locations in not-Orlando also under consideration). Spent last weekend checking out the area. I have to say, the traffic scared me! I4 mid-morning on a Sunday was bad enough! Is it just always terrible?

Anyway, what we like about Sanford is: 1) walkable/bikeable central area, 2) nice waterfront, 3) light rail to downtown (any comments on how useful this is?) 4) close enough to the beach 5) affordable housing prices, 6) fairly diverse population. The town seems to be on the upswing. Wondering what the locals think?

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2017, 06:12:54 AM »
I should be able to make it tomorrow.

Bill

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2017, 07:20:10 AM »
Howdy! I currently live in the Ft Myers area, but considering a move to Sanford (other locations in not-Orlando also under consideration). Spent last weekend checking out the area. I have to say, the traffic scared me! I4 mid-morning on a Sunday was bad enough! Is it just always terrible?

Anyway, what we like about Sanford is: 1) walkable/bikeable central area, 2) nice waterfront, 3) light rail to downtown (any comments on how useful this is?) 4) close enough to the beach 5) affordable housing prices, 6) fairly diverse population. The town seems to be on the upswing. Wondering what the locals think?

I-4 traffic is generally terrible, but traffic really increases in fall/winter months when all the snowbirds return.
What you like about Sanford is exactly what I like about my town, though light rail is not yet here. Sanford you also have SFB airport, Allegiant has insanely cheap flights to many parts of US and PR.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
Hi folks... Probably too late to view this, but I have an unmustachian pool leak at my house right now... and i will not be able to make it :(.  hope you all had a good meet and Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:07:14 AM by PseudoStache »

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2017, 10:18:45 AM »
So funny, we just logged in to see where you were. RW and I are here and will drink and eat delicious food without you. 😊 Good luck with your pool situation. Next time!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:39:19 AM by Random Hangers »

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »
So funny, we just logged in to see where you were. RW and I are here and will drink and eat delicious food without you. 😊 Good luck with your pool situation. Next time!

ARRGH! I will get there one of these days!

It took me about two weeks for my pool company to recognize that there is some type of leak in my pool and send someone over.  I had a guy come out yesterday to dive the pool and he did not find anything within the pool.  He arrived at 8 AM this morning and had to dig up my yard to find a pipe/pipe joint that is leaking - I was hoping I'd still make it to lunch. 

Unfortunately this is going to be a significant undertaking to repair because of the layout of the pipes.

I will say that this leak detector was a hustler and wouldn't give up - so if you need a referral for a leaky pool, let me know and I'll forward you his info!

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2017, 08:55:05 PM »
Hello FL Mudtachians. As you can probably tell from my name I am destined to be a snow bird some day. I live to surf so am very curious about Cocoa Beach. Anyone live there? What’s that area like? I’m a single woman so not looking for good schools and suburbia more funky beach town.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2017, 09:02:04 AM »
I am no longer attending Camp FI in early January in Gainesville, FL, and have a ticket to each week, if anyone is interested:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/where-in-the-world-is-arebelspy/msg1819215/#msg1819215
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2018, 02:50:28 PM »
Orlando - How the heck are you!?

Happy New Year!  I'm hoping everyone hit at least double digit net-worth growth (and more!) in 2017.

Is anyone attending any of the Gainesville Camps over the next two weekends?
If so, would love to hear about your experience at a local Orlando meetup soon.

Let's talk about "maximizing" our situations in 2018 with the new tax reform.

How does Sunday, January 28th sound for y'all?

Rhoon

• Stubble
    • Multifamily and Apartment Investments
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2018, 09:04:55 PM »

How does Sunday, January 28th sound for y'all?

I should actually be able to attend this one. Would be a good way to introduce my DW into the mix.

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2018, 06:27:02 AM »
Alas, not attending any of the upcoming Gainesville camps.

I think I'm ok with the 28th though (waiting to hear back on an appointment). I can't remember; was there anywhere left on our list of places that we wanted to hit? Maybe Dandelion, since only R&W got to go last time...?

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
Alas, not attending any of the upcoming Gainesville camps.

I think I'm ok with the 28th though (waiting to hear back on an appointment). I can't remember; was there anywhere left on our list of places that we wanted to hit? Maybe Dandelion, since only R&W got to go last time...?

I don't think we had anything left on the list.

Anyone interested in trying some Ramen at Domu at East End Market:
http://www.domufl.com/
Menu here: http://www.domufl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/brunchmenu.pdf

Also open to doing Mamak again since they've got pretty good seating.

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 08:08:40 AM »
Ramen on the 28th sounds great!

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 08:23:44 AM »
If brunch is being done, I think this date might work out for me--if you don't mind having a semi-retired old fart joining the gang, that is.  :D

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
If brunch is being done, I think this date might work out for me--if you don't mind having a semi-retired old fart joining the gang, that is.  :D

Age is but a number :)

Yes please do join!

Looks like Domu opens at 11:00.  I've never been there, so I don't know what seating/diner traffic is like.

We normally do Noon - hope that works for you.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2018, 11:29:34 AM »
Ramen on the 28th sounds great!

I've been wanting to try this place for a while - I think they even have a vegan option!

See you then!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2018, 06:41:44 AM »
Alas, won't be able to come this time. Have fun, either place sounds delish!

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2018, 11:08:44 AM »
Hello Everyone!

Just checking in to get a quick headcount check for this Sunday, 1/28.

I didn't hear any objections to Domu (Ramen)

Sunday, January 28th - 12:00PM
Address:
Domu - East End Market
3201 Corrine Dr Ste 100, Orlando, FL 32803

Looking forward to it!

FL_MM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2018, 04:24:56 AM »
I won’t be able to make it.

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
Good Morning - It doesn’t look like we received any confirmed ‘yes’ responses - Canceling :(

Hello Everyone!

Just checking in to get a quick headcount check for this Sunday, 1/28.

I didn't hear any objections to Domu (Ramen)

Sunday, January 28th - 12:00PM
Address:
Domu - East End Market

Looking forward to it!

Random Hangers

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »
Sorry last weekend's meet-up got cancelled. *sad face* Anyone free on Sunday the 11th? (I may not be able to get there until 12:30p)

Maybe same plans as PseudoStache suggested?
Domu (Ramen)

Sunday, February 11 - 12:00PM
Address:
Domu - East End Market

PseudoStache

• Stubble
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
Sorry last weekend's meet-up got cancelled. *sad face* Anyone free on Sunday the 11th? (I may not be able to get there until 12:30p)

Maybe same plans as PseudoStache suggested?
Domu (Ramen)

Sunday, February 11 - 12:00PM
Address:
Domu - East End Market

I will be there!