Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 44577 times)

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #1050 on: March 03, 2017, 12:35:25 PM »
Hi All I was just about to drop my Check (cheque) in the mail from the US to Canada and realised thay are a "whole different country up there".

So thought I'd better check on how much postage to put on the envelope.

I got about 4 different answers but according to the USPS website it will cost $1:15 for a 1 ounce letter.

The current value of "forever stamps" is 49 cents.

So you will need THREE stamps.. OK got that?

Great..:)

Or a universal international stamp....

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1051 on: March 03, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »
I'm so glad we didn't wait any longer...hubs is super excited to be coming too!

He said he'd be happy to speak about mustachian hair care ;-)

Oh, JR said something about getting papers together...I've never crossed the border by road...do I need anything more than my passport to enter Canada?  Do I have to ask permission first?

Your passport is all you need. No permission required :)
Damn, I was hoping at least for some sort of uber polite query at the border...just to be sure to keep the riff raff out.

Or a "permission to come aboard (ma'am, sir)?"

Its likely worthwhile to point out that at the border you will get a short set of questions.

We get out our passports/birth certificates/drivers licenses a few miles before the border, and the person in the passenger seat opens all of them to the photo page so the driver can give them to the border dude easily.

When you pull up to the window, the guard will usually ask 2 or three questions, along these lines:

• Where are you going? Who will you be staying with? Where will you be staying?
  • Where are you from?
  • How many are in the car? (they may want to talk to everyone individually)
  • What is the purpose of this trip - Business or pleasure?
  • Do you have any weapons?
  • Do you have any food?
  • How much cash are you carrying?
  • Please open your trunk.
  • Do you have a police record/criminal convictions?

If there are no weird answers and no flags are set off, you drive off merrily on your way. Sometimes something you say will set off the guard, or you will be the lucky candidate for a random secondary inspection. If this is the case, you will be handed a chit and asked to pull into "secondary inspection".

When pull in to secondary, you hand your chit to the friendly border guard who will ask everyone to get out of the car and stand "over there". The guard will then take a look at your documentation and give the car a cursory glance. A sniffer dog may walk around the car. Normally things end there, you hop back in the car and carry on.

If the secondary uncovers something incongruous (you said you were travelling for pleasure, but you have a contract for work in the car... etc.) you will be taken inside for more thorough questioning. This is where shit gets real. It has only happened to me once. Actually, they took my 3 yr old daughter in to question her. As soon as the "policeman" got her behind the counter she started screaming "Daddy don't let them take me away!!!" and that was proof they needed that she was my kid and I was not abducting her. They gave her back and we drove on.

Basically if you let them know you are travelling for pleasure, have all your personal papers nicely together, and are pleasant you should have no issues at all. We've crossed the border literally hundreds of times, and have been pulled aside maybe ten times. Max.
Follow along in the thrill-a-minute journal. or Come visit The Barnhouse

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - 2 spots have come open.

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1052 on: March 03, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
OK, thats gets you in.. Now getting out and you picked up your expired Green Card (like I did once).. Lets just say that is NOT recommended!

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: March 03, 2017, 01:14:53 PM »
Jenga - if you are serious about doing this uberfrugal, there is a Megabus between Toronto and NYC. I don't know what is schedule is like or how safe it is, but it does exist. One of our Aupairs used it and did the trip for under $100 IIRC.

ElleFiji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1054 on: March 03, 2017, 01:34:16 PM »
Jenga - if you are serious about doing this uberfrugal, there is a Megabus between Toronto and NYC. I don't know what is schedule is like or how safe it is, but it does exist. One of our Aupairs used it and did the trip for under $100 IIRC.
Mega bus to Montreal has always been successful for me. NYC should be the same

CheapskateWife

• Pencil Stache
  • Risking bike-vag to cure MS
    • I'm riding from Houston to Austin TX to beat MS...find out how you can get involved too!
« Reply #1055 on: March 03, 2017, 01:48:15 PM »
So what would be the best way for a frugal couple flying into Detroit to get to CMC?  Rent a car?  Take a bus?  Hitchhike? (we just watched Into the Wild and now hitchhiking seems perfectly reasonable) 
I'm riding from Houston to Austin TX to beat MS...find out how you can get involved too!

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/JennythPeterson

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #1056 on: March 03, 2017, 01:48:41 PM »

I don't know exactly what my breaking point is, but 12 hours on a bus is past it.

If I stay with you beforehand, is Toronto airport best?
MJ Is A GD Ray of Sunshine

Small Daily Acts of Political Resistance

For one simple action a day texted to you: https://dailyaction.org - text DAILY to 228466 (ACTION)

Indivisible Guide for local groups taking action: https://www.indivisibleguide.com

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1057 on: March 03, 2017, 02:00:01 PM »

I don't know exactly what my breaking point is, but 12 hours on a bus is past it.

If I stay with you beforehand, is Toronto airport best?

Yes - Either of the Toronto Airports. (Pearson - YYZ, or Billy Bishop Island Airport - YTZ) Billy Bishop is fastest to our place.

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: March 03, 2017, 02:14:56 PM »
So what would be the best way for a frugal couple flying into Detroit to get to CMC?  Rent a car?  Take a bus?  Hitchhike? (we just watched Into the Wild and now hitchhiking seems perfectly reasonable)

Try and hook up with a carpool headed through Detroit? Most people traveling north through Detroit would come up past the airport. I'd suggest if you go this route to get an airport hotel to make it easier for carpool timing. There won't be any buses available to get from Detroit to CMC so car rental would be your next best option.

Cherry Lane

• Bristles
« Reply #1059 on: March 03, 2017, 02:16:03 PM »
Hi All I was just about to drop my Check (cheque) in the mail from the US to Canada and realised thay are a "whole different country up there".

I got about 4 different answers but according to the USPS website it will cost $1:15 for a 1 ounce letter.

Or just let Elaine do the money laundering for you. That requires zero stamps.

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: March 03, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »

Or just let Elaine do the money laundering for you. That requires zero stamps.

In his case, he'd like to mail a check - and that has to go to my Canadian address so I can deposit it in a timely manner (thank goodness for bank apps that let you deposit checks from anywhere!). So yeah - stamp still required in some situations even with my money laundering services. I just got a check for CMC today with a pretty global stamp.

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1061 on: March 03, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »

Try and hook up with a carpool headed through Detroit? Most people traveling north through Detroit would come up past the airport. I'd suggest if you go this route to get an airport hotel to make it easier for carpool timing. There won't be any buses available to get from Detroit to CMC so car rental would be your next best option.

Detroit to Camp is 3 hours or so. And (sorry Elaine) its boring highway miles. If you can get a flight at the same price to Buffalo, I think it would be a better option. If you are visiting friends in Detroit, that's a different story.

CheapskateWife

• Pencil Stache
  • Risking bike-vag to cure MS
    • I'm riding from Houston to Austin TX to beat MS...find out how you can get involved too!
« Reply #1062 on: March 03, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
Oh, Buffalo is a $50 cheaper flight than Detroit...and we could go see Niagra Falls (there aint nothing I want to see (again) in Detroit.)  This trip is going to be amazing!
I'm riding from Houston to Austin TX to beat MS...find out how you can get involved too!

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/goto/JennythPeterson

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1063 on: March 03, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
I would probably fly to Buffalo too. I was already scouting out seeing Niagara Falls and maybe the Finger Lakes. It's been a long while since I've been to either of those.

If I am truly FIRE'd by then I won't be in any rush.

I also have to see if I'll take advantage of my free pass to Canadian parks on the trip.

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1064 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:46 PM »
I agree - flying to Buffalo would be closer to Camp and yes, even I have to admit it is more interesting driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1065 on: March 04, 2017, 12:29:24 AM »
Three sessions!? Aaahh! This is kind of bad news for me - will there be time to get to know people?

The breakout sessions are where you learn things... it's the REST of the time you get to know people.

(That part of the weekend is even better than the sessions.)

:)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

G-dog

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1066 on: March 04, 2017, 05:47:14 AM »
Three sessions!? Aaahh! This is kind of bad news for me - will there be time to get to know people?

The breakout sessions are where you learn things... it's the REST of the time you get to know people.

So, you agree with me ;)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1067 on: March 04, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »

So, you agree with me ;)

Oh, I see the disconnect.

Prospector didn't add any extra sessions to the weekend in terms of TIME... he added a 3rd session WHILE the sessions are going on, to have an extra choice.

In other words, there were already X sessions (hard to classify exactly "how many" that is, cause do you count an opening kickoff session with no choices? do you count an icebreaker activity as a session? workouts? closing Q & A?)... most of those sessions had 2 sessions (speakers), and you could choose which presentation you wanted.  Now he added a "3rd session" or (in other words) a 3rd speaker, so you have 3 choices instead of two.

There is still the same X number of sessions, and still just as much hanging out time.

I knew this, but I see how you thought the "3rd session" was making the number of sessions X+1, meaning less socializing time. This isn't the case, luckily, it's a "3rd speaker" for some of the sessions already existing. So there is just more choice during those X sessions.  :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 01:27:38 PM by arebelspy »
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1068 on: March 04, 2017, 01:13:36 PM »
Valid points ARS. See op for updated speakers schedule.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1069 on: March 09, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
I'd recommend two things: have cash in your account that you can show the guards if requested (they will turn you away if you have too little liquid cash, and the you will have trouble getting into Canada for the rest of your life) and if you're driving or flying, PLEASE don't bring merchandise without declaring it. No stacks of tshirts, stickers, zines, books. That is a fast track to a world of Canadian border police hurt.

Is anyone else going by train? I'm likely coming up by train from Albany or Vermont.
Bikes, bowie, and business: using glitter to double my net worth by 30 the new journal- with 68 less pages than the old journal!

I have a brand new podcast about money stress & glitter- check it out (and maybe leave a review so the iTunes gods love me?)

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1070 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:52 AM »
As far as I know, you are currently the only trainee.

your train will arrive at Union Station. There you can get on the Go Train to Whitby and stay at Auberge Prospy, or head to Chez PJ or Casa Del Fiji.

Fiji and I are both convenient to GO Train lines, but because I am biased I hope you choose our Auberge - as I was riding into the Toronto meetup this week I was thinking of you and how much you would enjoy the Lakeshore East Line through the Scarborough beaches.

Of course, we have a dog, and we are not vegan, so Fiji might be a better choice since her food cupboard comes closer to speaking your language. I think she's at least vegetarian (not entirely sure).

ElleFiji

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1071 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:37 AM »
The train might also stop at Oakville. One stop away from me and I can pick you up

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1072 on: March 09, 2017, 12:25:34 PM »
2 bunks just opened up to the standby list - if you're on it watch your inbox tonight. As soon as I get home I'll send out messages.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1073 on: March 11, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
Kriegser is coming.

okits

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1074 on: March 11, 2017, 06:41:17 PM »
Camp Mustache Canada... it's a thing now! Queen MonkeyJenga will be honoured with a meatball party there!

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1075 on: March 12, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »
There was mustache mail at the barnhouse!!!!

A letter arrived from Calgary.