Author Topic: NYC Meetup  (Read 325741 times)

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: NYC Meetup
« Reply #250 on: August 04, 2015, 10:28:45 AM »
Hi All,

I'd like to invite this group to a free midweek discussion on MMM on Wednesday, August 18 at 7:00pm on the Upper East Side.  The event is hosted by the All Souls Unitarian Young Adults group and will also feature dinner.  We expect there will be people with a wide range of familiarity with MMM principles, and I would love to see more people who know and understand FI principles. The discussion will be hosted by Ian and myself (Laurel), both MMM enthusiasts. 

Details:
MMM Evening Discussion
August 18 at 7:00pm
All Souls Unitarian Church
1157 Lexington Ave
New York
(go through the courtyard on the right side of the church and the person at the desk will buzz you in and tell you where to go)

Official Blurb:
Laurel and Ian will lead a conversation on the intersection of consumerism and spirituality, drawing on the lessons of the financial independence community and with the goal of deepening our relationship with the material.  We will discuss the ideas of ERE, Mister Money Mustache, and others.

Hope you can make it!  I've been going events with this group for years, they are a friendly and open minded bunch. 

Laurel

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #251 on: August 04, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »
I'd love to do the dinner! Quick question: is it Tues the 18th or Weds the 19th?

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #252 on: August 04, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
Hi All,

I'd like to invite this group to a free midweek discussion on MMM on Wednesday, August 18 at 7:00pm on the Upper East Side.  The event is hosted by the All Souls Unitarian Young Adults group and will also feature dinner.  We expect there will be people with a wide range of familiarity with MMM principles, and I would love to see more people who know and understand FI principles. The discussion will be hosted by Ian and myself (Laurel), both MMM enthusiasts. 

Details:
MMM Evening Discussion
August 18 at 7:00pm
All Souls Unitarian Church
1157 Lexington Ave
New York
(go through the courtyard on the right side of the church and the person at the desk will buzz you in and tell you where to go)

Official Blurb:
Laurel and Ian will lead a conversation on the intersection of consumerism and spirituality, drawing on the lessons of the financial independence community and with the goal of deepening our relationship with the material.  We will discuss the ideas of ERE, Mister Money Mustache, and others.

Hope you can make it!  I've been going events with this group for years, they are a friendly and open minded bunch. 

Laurel

August 18th is a Tuesday. Did you mean August 19th?

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
Wonderful!  And sorry, I did mean August 19th instead of the 18th. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 04, 2015, 06:24:27 PM »
Wonderful!  And sorry, I did mean August 19th instead of the 18th.

SWEET if it's the 19th I can go. And it sounds interesting.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2015, 09:53:40 PM »
easypeasy, if you say free dinner, I say how high? (Except I probably can't go, slash don't have a spiritual bone in my body.)

I don't think a date/location was ever chosen for the weekend of Aug 22/23. If it's the 23rd, I can go, and I'd be up for a hike.

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:17 AM »
I figured free dinner would appeal to this crowd :)  This group is pretty lightly religious, so don't be intimidated if you aren't into that sort of thing.  Ian and I only plan to focus on MMM topics. 

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2015, 08:27:47 AM »
I'm an atheist, but I think I would be willing to check it out if that is okay.

I am definitely up for August 23rd.

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #258 on: August 12, 2015, 10:43:43 PM »

Here is the official facebook invite for August 19: https://www.facebook.com/events/1775886942638235/

bb11 - you are most certainly welcome.  I'd guess about a third of the group are atheists.

On the topic of August 22 hiking, I started writing some ideas and this ended up as a download of some of my best hiking trips inside and outside of NYC.  Hope it's useful (and I'd be interested in other peoples' lists), although this does nothing to narrow down a location for August 22. 

On Metro North (downside is the tickets are $10-20 per person):
1) Beacon NY - you can walk through town from the Metro North station to the Beacon Mountain trail head.  Challenging, beautiful hike. 
2) Appalachian Trail - A couple of Metro North trains stop at the AT on weekends.  This is a relatively easy hike.
3) Sleepy Hollow/Ossining NY - There is an Aqueduct Trail running through several towns on the Hudson River.  The stretch from Ossining to Sleepy Hollow is one of the best bits.  I recommend starting in Ossining so you can hang out in Sleepy Hollow after the walk.  This is a pretty walk but not challenging since the trail is flat. 

Inside NYC (more crowded, but cheaper):
4) Fort Tyron Park - Lovely park at the north of Manhattan with good hiking trails.  I did this in the very early spring, so I'm not sure how crowded it is in the summer.
5) Central, Prospect, and Riverside Park all have nice 'wilderness' areas.  This doesn't quite qualify as hiking, but each park is lovely.
6) Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx has nice trails

Other cool cheap things to do:
7) Free kayaking is often just paddling around in a circle, but the LIC Boathouse also sponsors free kayaking expeditions.  I've done a bunch of trips with this group and it's downright extraordinary to see the city from the water.
8) Governor's Island - Fun, quirky, great place for a picnic

Cheers!

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »
I will be attending tomorrow as well. See everyone there!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2015, 02:40:37 PM »
Oh, yeah, should we bring anything?

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #261 on: August 18, 2015, 02:46:20 PM »
Post to follow for the future :)

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: August 18, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »
Nope, no need to bring anything.  See you tomorrow!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #263 on: August 19, 2015, 12:31:43 PM »
Anybody coming tonight want a keyboard? We're getting rid of some new ones at work. USB, not wireless.

Bumbling Bee

• Stubble
    • Journey of a Thousand Face Punches
« Reply #264 on: August 19, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
Someday I might be able to make one of these... Sooooomeeedaaayyyyy.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 19, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Thank you, Laurel (and Ian if you could pass it along)! That was a lot of fun!

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »
Of course!  Thanks for coming and hopefully I'll see some or all of you soon at another get-together soon. 

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 20, 2015, 09:06:10 AM »
Yes, thanks again easypeasy! Great meeting you, David, and the baby.

WHO WERE YOU?

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2015, 07:34:47 AM »
Yes, thanks again easypeasy! Great meeting you, David, and the baby.

WHO WERE YOU?

Seconded! I didn't notice anyone else there....

Thanks Easypeasy!

I can't go to any meetups this weekend but would like to do another meetup soon, if anyone has interest in getting together in the next couple weeks.

Effervescent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2015, 08:21:51 PM »
Is there a meetup this weekend?

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: August 21, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »
Not that I know of. I'd personally be happy to meet people in central park at 1pm tomorrow if anyone's interested.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: August 22, 2015, 06:13:05 AM »
This weekend doesn't work for me, but if anyone wants to meet next Saturday that might work

Effervescent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #272 on: August 22, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »
Next Sunday is better for me - I can't next Saturday.

LG in NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
Posting to be in the loop for future meetups :)

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: August 26, 2015, 08:07:41 AM »
I can also do this Sunday. At least I'm almost positive I can.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: August 26, 2015, 08:23:25 AM »
Central Park Sunday sounds good to me.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: August 26, 2015, 09:48:57 AM »
You know what they say, three's a crowd, four's a party.

1PM Sunday? Luna, I hope your gf can make it as well!

Dr. Love

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: August 26, 2015, 07:05:32 PM »
My wife and I are also in for Sunday.

chatche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • chatch.es
« Reply #278 on: August 26, 2015, 09:03:21 PM »
Dang, I'm gonna be out of town this weekend. Next one for sure :)

Dust1020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #279 on: August 26, 2015, 10:04:58 PM »
Hi All - this is my first post here. I've been reading MMM for years, but just got inspired from the last post on community to try to get to know some like-minded people here in NYC.  Anyway, I can likely make 1pm on Sunday.  Where in Central Park do you typically meet?

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #280 on: August 28, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »
Fellow noob considering joining on Sunday!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 28, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Will have to skip this sunday... wedding preparations take precedence!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #282 on: August 28, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
Everyone cool with the below location? We went there last time.

Let's do this Saturday, in the park if the weather is good (which it's supposed to be).

I personally like the spot in front of "the Dairy visitor center". It's far south in the park so it's easy to relocate to indoors if necessary. Any other spot in the park is fine for me too though.

Dust1020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: August 28, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
Yup, that location works for me.

Effervescent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: August 28, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
Where's "the Dairy visitor center"? It sounds fine to me :) Sunday at 1pm.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:38 PM »
I like the dairy visitor center too.

See attached for location.

Struggle Toaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #286 on: August 30, 2015, 09:05:12 AM »
Jumping in on this one! Woo!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: August 30, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
I'll bring my fuchsia umbrella again.

ETA: What's a struggle toaster? Or is it an exhortation? ("Struggle, Toaster!")
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:45:12 PM by MonkeyJenga »

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 30, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »
I'm here sitting with MJ by her pink umbrella. It's pink, don't let her fancy words fool you....

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #289 on: August 30, 2015, 05:06:53 PM »
Great seeing everyone today! For the quitters who left early, you should know you missed out on free sandwiches and sangria from that kid's party.

(I am taking the high ground and ignoring bb11.)

Dr. Love

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #290 on: August 30, 2015, 05:26:26 PM »
:-(  How much longer would we have had to stay to get the free food?

Thanks for another good meetup.  How do you get the text of new posts in your email?  I clicked the "notify me of replies" below, and what I get in my email is

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by bb11.

View the reply at: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/nyc-meetup-on-sunday-june-22nd/new/?topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/nyc-meetup-on-sunday-june-22nd/?action=notify

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The Money Mustache Community Team.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #291 on: August 30, 2015, 07:05:41 PM »
:-(  How much longer would we have had to stay to get the free food?

Thanks for another good meetup.  How do you get the text of new posts in your email?  I clicked the "notify me of replies" below, and what I get in my email is

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by bb11.

View the reply at: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/nyc-meetup-on-sunday-june-22nd/new/?topicseen#new

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/nyc-meetup-on-sunday-june-22nd/?action=notify

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

Regards,
The Money Mustache Community Team.

I suspect it's the option "When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)" under Profile -> Modify Profile -> Notifications.

Struggle Toaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #292 on: August 30, 2015, 07:07:14 PM »
Had an awesome time today everyone :)

Dr. Love

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #293 on: August 30, 2015, 07:16:59 PM »
Thanks luna.  I'll give those changes a try.

Dust1020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #294 on: August 30, 2015, 07:28:30 PM »
Great meeting everyone today.  Too bad I missed the free food and drink.

Struggle Toaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #295 on: August 30, 2015, 08:15:15 PM »
Also, when we talked about means testing for social security, it looks like it was specifically a Christie idea and actually focused on income rather than net worth!

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:34 AM »
Also, when we talked about means testing for social security, it looks like it was specifically a Christie idea and actually focused on income rather than net worth!

Interesting that this idea would come from him.

This is obviously a bit political, but to go back to our discussion at the meetup, I found an article that pretty perfectly sums up my view on why inheritances are immoral. This would be why I think estate taxes should be up near 100% and my hypothetical future children will not be receiving much of any inheritance from me, no huge sums saved up in their 529's, etc.

https://medium.com/@AbiWilks/it-s-inheritance-that-is-immoral-not-inheritance-tax-33ff91791f03

Tl;dr:

Jemima and Edward have no moral claim to the money they didn’t earn. If they’re to get it, it needs to be justified based on consequences. Returning to the thought experiment at the start of this article, who could really believe that the best possible thing you could do with £1,000,000 is to give it to a couple of affluent, successful 30-somethings?

‘Taking’ the money from them wouldn’t be the immoral act, giving it to them would be.

Inheritance isn’t only immoral because it is a waste of resources that could be better spent elsewhere — on schools, health, social care and any number of other things. It’s also actively harmful to allow wealth to be passed down in families through the generations.

It’s harmful because it’s promoting inequality that can be justified neither morally nor pragmatically.

It doesn’t make society function better if some people are born into privilege and others into poverty. In contrast, it tends to mean you end up with important roles filled not by the most able, but by the most able from within a small pool of candidates with lots of social advantages.

People have no intrinsic claim to the fruits of their ancestors’ labour. Even without inheriting, Jemima and Edward have already benefited extensively from being born into money. Nobody could reasonably argue that is because they’re somehow more deserving than a person brought up in social care, for example.

Despite the talk about social mobility from all major political parties, how rich a person in the UK is likely to be as an adult is massively dependent on the circumstances they are born into. Inheritance plays a huge, very obvious role in this.

People who already have money are much better equipped to make more money. As inheritance is passed down from generation to generation, wealth becomes more and more concentrated in certain families.

Just giving the £1,000,000 to two random people who grew up in poverty would still be preferable to letting Jemima and Edward have it. They already benefited enormously from their parents’ wealth while they were still alive. If they benefit again, the inequality is only amplified.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:46 AM »
I wasn't there for the full discussion of course. I guess I'm not opposed to taxing inheritance income like regular income once it's over the lifetime gift amount.
As to the point that the children have already benefited from growing up with well-off parents, would you feel differently if the parents died while the children were still minors?

StudioDweller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #298 on: September 05, 2015, 09:00:58 PM »
Following so I can know when the next meet up is :)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2015, 09:44:51 AM »
I wasn't there for the full discussion of course. I guess I'm not opposed to taxing inheritance income like regular income once it's over the lifetime gift amount.
As to the point that the children have already benefited from growing up with well-off parents, would you feel differently if the parents died while the children were still minors?

What justification is there for gifts not being treated like regular income as well?
Not that the giver should pay the tax (as is currently the case, and makes no sense), but that the receiver pays it.

In fact, both morally and pragmatically, shouldn't money one earns by doing productive labor be taxed less than any form of unearned or passive income, since it took work to earn money and the product of that work directly benefits society? 
Of course now we have the exact opposite situation, where almost all forms of unearned income are taxed less so that the tax code is specifically working against mobility and helps those who already have enough pay (proportionately) less