Author Topic: NYC Meetup  (Read 325780 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: NYC Meetup
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2015, 09:53:36 AM »
I'm taking off soon! I'll bring some soup.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2015, 10:50:30 AM »
Me and girlfriend will show up between 1:30 and 2.

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2015, 03:37:03 PM »
Great meeting all of you!

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2015, 05:53:56 PM »
Norabird, thank you for hosting! Thanks for the good conversations. 

And just for the record, here are the books and websites I heard about today:
“The Millionaire Next Door” by Thomas Stanley and William Danko
"Your Money or Your Life" by Viki Robin
budgetbytes.com
https://livingafi.wordpress.com/

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
Ah shucks, I missed it. I was in the city today, too! Hope you all had fun; hopefully I'll see some of you at the next one.

Drakmon

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
We're sorry to have missed this! We're looking forward to making the next one.

theonethatgotaway

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2015, 10:35:51 AM »
missed this. can someone start a group at meetup.com or the such?

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2015, 06:46:38 PM »
missed this. can someone start a group at meetup.com or the such?

Now that we have a single thread it's not so bad. Meetup groups cost money, you know...

Mari

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2015, 07:06:46 AM »
Mustachian in Brooklyn here. Just came on board to the forum after several months of following the blog.  Looking forward to the next NYC meetup!

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 07:45:04 AM »
Welcome Mari!

Theonethatgotaway--there is a google group, mustachiansinnyc@googlegroups.com, but it usually just ends up pointing to this thread. You can set an alert on this discussion so you get updates when there are new posts.

You could try out these meetup groups though: http://frugalliving.meetup.com/cities/us/ny/new_york/

Thanks to everyone for coming out last week, very successful get together!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2015, 05:44:19 AM »
SO and I live in NJ an hour outside NYC (I work near Penn Station). Perhaps we can setup a park lunch one day in the spring when it's a bit nicer out? We all bring our lunches already!

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:10 PM »
Hi fellow NYC 'stashers!

Drakmon and I were so sorry to have missed the last meet up. I was out of town, unfortunately.

Since Drakmon and I are moving to our new, Mustachian-friendly digs in Washington Heights, what if we volunteered to host at our new place once we move in? We should be in and ready for company by the weekend of April 11.

Anyone interested?

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2015, 01:01:12 PM »
Hi fellow NYC 'stashers!

Drakmon and I were so sorry to have missed the last meet up. I was out of town, unfortunately.

Since Drakmon and I are moving to our new, Mustachian-friendly digs in Washington Heights, what if we volunteered to host at our new place once we move in? We should be in and ready for company by the weekend of April 11.

Anyone interested?

I'd be interested! Would love to meet some fellow NYC area people. I also just moved, but to my own 1 bd apartment right on the other side of the river from you, in Cliffside Park/Fort Lee area. It has a nice sized backyard, so would also be down to host a BBQ or something once it gets warmer!

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
Me and lentils are almost definitely in - we'll confirm closer to the date, but you should expect to see us there.

SIDE NOTE, CAN WE GET SOME NAMETAGS FOR THE NEXT EVENT???  IT IS CRAZY TRYING TO KEEP TRACK OF WHO IS WHO IN MY HEAD.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:29 PM »
Pitagirl and I may attend depending on when and where.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
Posting to keep track because I'll be moving to NYC (/NJ?) in a few months.
While we're at it, any recommendations for relatively cheap areas with short commutes to Chelsea and the financial district (we're a couple, straight out of college, don't really want roommates)? (feel free to pm me instead of taking this thread off topic)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 02:00:59 PM »
I'm 97% in. 1% chance I'll be out of town, and 2% chance The Man physically prevents me from meeting a bunch of crazy dumpster divers off of the internet.

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
I'm 97% in. 1% chance I'll be out of town, and 2% chance The Man physically prevents me from meeting a bunch of crazy dumpster divers off of the internet.

We'll hope for the 97% and ignore the 2%!

Pitagirl and I may attend depending on when and where.

Great! We will keep this thread updated as we go, in hopes that you and PitaGirl can join.

Me and lentils are almost definitely in - we'll confirm closer to the date, but you should expect to see us there.

SIDE NOTE, CAN WE GET SOME NAMETAGS FOR THE NEXT EVENT???  IT IS CRAZY TRYING TO KEEP TRACK OF WHO IS WHO IN MY HEAD.

We've never done a MMM meet up before, so please share all your tips. Definitely should/can do name tags.

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »
Posting to keep track because I'll be moving to NYC (/NJ?) in a few months.
While we're at it, any recommendations for relatively cheap areas with short commutes to Chelsea and the financial district (we're a couple, straight out of college, don't really want roommates)? (feel free to pm me instead of taking this thread off topic)

Nanu--we welcome you to our fair city! I'll send a note separately to you. We definitely have learned a lot about living in the city over the past 5 years and are always happy to help acclimate new New Yorkers.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
Nanu--we welcome you to our fair city! I'll send a note separately to you. We definitely have learned a lot about living in the city over the past 5 years and are always happy to help acclimate new New Yorkers.
Thanks, that would be great!

And hopefully I'll be able to come to future meetings (are mustachian meetings kinda like AA only people show up and say "Hi, I'm Dave, and I save 75% of my income"?)

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »

And hopefully I'll be able to come to future meetings (are mustachian meetings kinda like AA only people show up and say "Hi, I'm Dave, and I save 75% of my income"?)

Either that, or else they are like AA in that everyone is anonymous. Hi, nice to meet you, I'm "NYCWife."

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2015, 02:47:51 PM »

Either that, or else they are like AA in that everyone is anonymous. Hi, nice to meet you, I'm "NYCWife."

Hah! I was seriously considering going by MJ.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:24 PM »
Totes! I'm in the heights already, just a different one.

LiquidLen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2015, 03:37:26 PM »
Is there another meetup coming soon?
I'm new to the city and to America in general and would like some of the cheese on how to live here and be frugal (if a frugal new yorker's not an oxymoron).

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
I'm new to the city and to America in general and would like some of the cheese on how to live here and be frugal (if a frugal new yorker's not an oxymoron).

Drakmon and NYCWife had planned on hosting one in the next few weeks - they're moving apartments and were going to announce when they were setup for hosting.  Stay tuned, I think they're in the midst of moving.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: March 05, 2015, 03:45:35 PM »

Drakmon and NYCWife had planned on hosting one in the next few weeks - they're moving apartments and were going to announce when they were setup for hosting.  Stay tuned, I think they're in the midst of moving.

How do you say your name?

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:34 PM »

iosef.  tavi. 

Yo.

Seff.

Tah.

Vee.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: March 05, 2015, 10:33:54 PM »
I'm also aiming to host something soon. Recently moved in a couple of blocks from our usual summer location by the Strand stand in the park. 62nd/Park.

Just feel like I need a little bit more furniture first.

If anyone is up for a meetup weekend of the 28th, I'll host.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2015, 03:54:44 AM »

iosef.  tavi. 

Yo.

Seff.

Tah.

Vee.

That's what I figured. Not knowing bothered me :P.

Drakmon

• Stubble
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »

Confirmed. We won't be "moved" until Sat 03/21. We're looking forward to opening up our new place! :)

Effervescent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »
Hello fellow NYC Mustachians. I have been in NYC for two years and would love to meet fellow frugal fiends. It would be good to meet up now that the weather is warming up.

LiquidLen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2015, 01:49:47 PM »
I'm into hosting as well. but we have to sit on the floor with a blanket like a picnic. we ALL want to host. :)
Is anyone into a mini-meeting, before NYCWife is completely moved, in my place or somewhere outside? I'm interested in meeting some more like minded individuals.
You will all hear hilarious stories about Israel, eat some vegan food made by yours truely (if you are into coming to my place), we can also do play some music together and listen to some records.

Drakmon

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2015, 08:35:26 AM »
NYCWife and I have moved! We're ensconced up in Washington Heights, around 160th St. and Broadway. The new place has tons of space, which we're looking forward to filling up with all your smiling faces soon enough.

We'll post an announcement in this thread with an RSVP link, as soon as we've figured out an optimal day for this.

EfficientN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
Strange question, but I thought I'll throw this out here. I'm visiting the city the week of March 30th (for work reasons primarily), but will be walking through a few neighborhoods as I prep for my move. If anyone wants to show me their favorite place, by all means, send me a PM.

Freida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Slow Travel NYC
« Reply #134 on: March 29, 2015, 07:26:52 AM »
I would like to attend a nyc meetup. Thank you to the nice woman on the seven train reading ERE for encouraging me to check the forums.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2015, 06:56:16 PM »
I would like to attend a nyc meetup. Thank you to the nice woman on the seven train reading ERE for encouraging me to check the forums.

Whoo, that was me! Hi subway friend.

Freida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Slow Travel NYC
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
Hi! Yay! If it everrrr warms up here maybe we can plan a meetup picnic at Socrates? So ready for spring! Seems like lots of frugal folk live in queens.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »
Oh yeah, Socrates would be a cool meeting place.

NYCWife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2015, 05:54:58 AM »
Let's do this!

Drakmon and I have officially and fully moved and are ready for company. Anyone want to come check out our new Mustachian digs in Washington Heights?

We'd be open to hosting a gathering next weekend (April 11 or 12) or the following weekend (April 18 or 19). Either of those weekends work for our Mustachian friends?

We have a good amount of seating and a bunch of board games, and an itch to cook in our new spacious kitchen.

Let us know what works and we'll get this up and running.

sbdebeste

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: April 01, 2015, 07:00:03 AM »
hello! I would definitely be interested... and either weekend would work for me!

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #140 on: April 01, 2015, 07:41:50 AM »
Oh I like board games! Unfortunately we're only moving to the area (ended up in Jersey City) in July though.
What board games do you have?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: April 01, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »
Board games! Potluck! Yay! I can do the 11th or 12th but not the following weekend.

luna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: April 01, 2015, 08:09:04 AM »
Would love to join, but it'll be the next one. Away for 11-25 this month.

Emanonrog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #143 on: April 01, 2015, 08:16:44 AM »
I'm free the 18th/19th but away the 11th/12th.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2015, 08:28:42 AM »
I'm in! I think the 12th might not be great and the 11th or 19th would be best, but I don't have anything set in stone right now.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2015, 08:33:40 AM »
We'll attempt to make it, but not sure what our plans are. At least it isn't May haha.

LiquidLen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »
I'm good with any one of these dates.

bb11

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: April 02, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
Hey all. New member but have lived mustachian for a couple years. I recently organized an ERE NYC meetup and would love to meet up with MMM'ers too! I'm free on any weekend day except for the afternoon/evening of April 12th, so don't schedule it then! :)

FYI: I'm 26 and living in Williamsburg. Yes it's possible to live relatively cheaply here.

Drakmon

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
It sounds like the 11th is the date that the majority of people can make!

If this goes well, we'll plan on having another meetup later in the year.

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:22 AM »
Drakmon, just to confirm: does this mean you're on for hosting an NYC MMMer meetup at your place (Washington Heights) on Apr 11th?