Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 208544 times)

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »
Who is up for a meet up this fall in the Winston-salem, Greensboro, High-Point area?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
Who is up for a meet up this fall in the Winston-salem, Greensboro, High-Point area?

Would Foothills Brewing be a possible venue?

southernhippie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2015, 07:05:12 AM »

Would Foothills Brewing be a possible venue?

That could work

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
Haven't been to a meetup yet (just moved back to the area!) but following this thread for future meetups. We live in North Durham, about a mile from the West Point on the Eno, so a quarry meetup would be super convenient!

Oh also, has anyone considered making a facebook group/meetup.com group for triangle mustachians? It might be a little bit more convenient than a forum post, and might get more people outside of the forum to join.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:41:41 AM by lemondirgopie »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »
Mefla, southern hippie, why don't you run with the brewery idea?

Pick a place and a date, make an announcement. I suspect there are enough people following this thread that it would work well enough.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #305 on: August 21, 2015, 08:24:06 AM »
Mefla, southern hippie, why don't you run with the brewery idea?

Pick a place and a date, make an announcement. I suspect there are enough people following this thread that it would work well enough.

I like the way you think PdK. I have a place I'm considering and I even have a couple ideas for a presentation:

http://compassrosebrewery.com/ is where I would start.

I'd like to start out with a program on bicycles. Not safety stuff, just talking about the bike itself, what's good, what's not and what kind of equipment you should expect a bike to have at certain price points. Indeed, I have two bikes I could use in the presentation: a "cheap" bike and a new-ish "expensive" bike (that I didn't pay a lot for, and I can explain that too...)

Now, here's another idea I've got: Don't have just ONE meeting. Have a series of three meetings, all in breweries located in each of the three points of the triangle. That way we really make it easier for anyone who wants to, to ride a bike to the meeting.

The only thing that kinda bugs me? The fact that we'd be meeting somewhere that you might be expected to cough up some cash for beer. I believe any meeting where you have to think about spending even one dollar might be infringing on mustachian principles.

Anyway: I'm thinking, pondering, trying to come up with something that's as mustachian as possible....

Torgo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #306 on: August 21, 2015, 08:11:08 PM »
Hey, another Durhamite here!  What's going down?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #307 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
Hey, another Durhamite here!  What's going down?

I was thinking Fullsteam or Tyler's Taproom for a Durham meetup. Any better venues one might consider?

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2015, 06:10:57 PM »
Fullsteam is always a good place to meet.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #309 on: August 26, 2015, 11:47:20 AM »
I'm down for a Durham meetup!

thelongsabbatical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #310 on: August 26, 2015, 12:05:39 PM »
Hi all. Just introducing myself and adding my vote of approval for a Durham meetup. (I live in Durham and also spend time in Raleigh most weekends.) I will be beginning what I am calling a "long sabbatical" at the end of next month, so I am eager to meet with others and learn from their experiences.

P.S. - I was pleasantly surprised to see disc golf mentioned on this thread, which is one of my favorite things to do. If anyone is interested in meeting up for a casual round, let me know. Beginners are welcome too. I have discs you can borrow.

P.P.S. - Thanks to Justin from Root of Good for pointing me to this thread.

The Southern Stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Southern Stache
« Reply #311 on: August 31, 2015, 09:31:25 AM »
We have a "Southeastern Mustachians" Closed group on Facebook.  Check it out and join.  Some folks from North Carolina are there.  Some of you may already be.    Thanks.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »
thelongsabbatical and I sat down for a few hours this past weekend at Starbucks* and had a mini meetup of sorts.  He's legit and about to "semi-retire" as we might describe it, but "long sabbatical" is also certainly appropriate. 

* Starbucks, the place I go about 1x per year to rent a chair for a few hours to meet strangers from the internet in a safe environment :) 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
thelongsabbatical and I sat down for a few hours this past weekend at Starbucks* and had a mini meetup of sorts.  He's legit and about to "semi-retire" as we might describe it, but "long sabbatical" is also certainly appropriate. 

* Starbucks, the place I go about 1x per year to rent a chair for a few hours to meet strangers from the internet in a safe environment :)

Hi RoG - can you think of any place in Raleigh we could have a little meetup where I could bring some homebrew to share? Older son and I did five batches recently that all came out beautiful and are really tasty for folks who like IPAs.

I'd like for us all to land at Compass Rose Brewing, but I'm trying to come up with a venue that won't imply "spending", but where we can bring stuff if we want. For free, my homebrew is a hell of a deal compared to buying a $4-$5 pint pour.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2015, 10:55:56 AM »

Hi RoG - can you think of any place in Raleigh we could have a little meetup where I could bring some homebrew to share? Older son and I did five batches recently that all came out beautiful and are really tasty for folks who like IPAs.

I'd like for us all to land at Compass Rose Brewing, but I'm trying to come up with a venue that won't imply "spending", but where we can bring stuff if we want. For free, my homebrew is a hell of a deal compared to buying a $4-$5 pint pour.

thelongsabbatical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2015, 02:02:51 PM »

It was a pleasure to talk with Justin RoG! We are truly privileged to have an early retiree in our area who is so thoughtful and generous with his time and knowledge.

I would not turn down a homebrew opportunity. Based on my quick Googling, it sounds like Raleigh parks allow alcohol, but you need to sign a waiver. More info here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/158961-looking-place-hold-large-picnic.html

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #316 on: September 01, 2015, 06:16:18 PM »

HEY, wait a minute...I think I'm jealous. :-)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #317 on: September 02, 2015, 07:41:50 AM »
I looked around Raleigh Parks and Rec site some more.  Looks like you can get an alcohol permit but it's $50.  And other parks say "consumption of alcohol on City of Raleigh property is prohibited and you'll be arrested".  So it's $50 plus you have to rent a shelter or a facility.  Which might still be cheaper if split than paying $5/pint at a local brewery but probably not worth the hassle. 

Otherwise, I can't really think of anywhere that you can drink (legally) that's free.  Although there are always some guys in the park near me sipping on 40's or tall boys, so maybe it's okay?  ;) 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #318 on: September 02, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »
Posting this here because it might be of interest to others in the area: lecture from the founder of Durham-based SelfHelp credit union, on October 1 at UNC.
https://alumni.unc.edu/news/expert-on-development-finance-to-speak-about-economic-inequality/

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #319 on: September 03, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »
I looked around Raleigh Parks and Rec site some more.  Looks like you can get an alcohol permit but it's $50.  And other parks say "consumption of alcohol on City of Raleigh property is prohibited and you'll be arrested".  So it's $50 plus you have to rent a shelter or a facility.  Which might still be cheaper if split than paying $5/pint at a local brewery but probably not worth the hassle. 

Dam. Thanks J for heading that up, much appreciated. I'm starting to think that a local brewery might actually be more friendly to bringing in a little homebrew (and letting others purchase if they so choose) than places that are typically not beer-friendly at all.

Now, I have located a place in RTP where we could have a meeting that I know is beer-and-food-friendly, called "The Frontier". But these folks are in the business of selling meeting space - so I'd have to check and see what, if anything, they might be interested in providing for free. The only real bummer about this is gettting there would be equally challenging from all points of the triangle, given that they are located at Park Offices in RTP (near where the old Governor's Inn used to be).

You know, I've often thought I wanted to turn my own garage into a place where I could have friends over, serve them homebrew from a tap and have great conversation, play table-tennis or watch a movie or something. People seem to be so reluctant to allow generally any kind of brew that I'm realizing this is a good idea.

But, I live in Youngsville, which is Bumfuck's Bumfuck for most people, so again we're talking a need to drive a car in many cases....(I would bike it, but then I'm crazy that way... :-) )

Otherwise, I can't really think of anywhere that you can drink (legally) that's free.  Although there are always some guys in the park near me sipping on 40's or tall boys, so maybe it's okay?  ;) 

The way you said that is hilarious, even if the topic isn't. Bwahahaha....

thelongsabbatical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2015, 10:38:11 AM »
Another possibility that occurred to me: My parents live in a neighborhood in N Raleigh that has a park/picnic area where I'm pretty sure alcohol would be fine, especially if it's just a handful of people. I will run it by my parents. It sounds like it would be a fairly centrally located spot for folks (near Six Forks and 540).

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2015, 10:51:34 AM »
Another possibility that occurred to me: My parents live in a neighborhood in N Raleigh that has a park/picnic area where I'm pretty sure alcohol would be fine, especially if it's just a handful of people. I will run it by my parents. It sounds like it would be a fairly centrally located spot for folks (near Six Forks and 540).

If you're able to get access, I'll vote "thumbs up".

I think I can handle the logistics of bringing homebrew on a bike. If not, I'll give in and drive my lil' 2000 Honda Insight. :-)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #322 on: September 03, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
Another thought:  anyone who lives in an apartment or neighborhood with a club house might be able to rent it out for free? 

stephgo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #323 on: September 05, 2015, 03:45:06 PM »
Newbie to forums, and MMM for that matter.  I live in Raleigh and would love to meet other folks with some similar interests.  I live in an apartment - I could check on what it would take to rent the club house.  Complex is near Capital Blvd and 540.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #324 on: September 05, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »
James/mefla, I thought about suggesting The Frontier as well - great minds ;) It is an entrepreneur coworking space but as far as I know, free to work out of.  I have a few friends who work out of there sometimes.  I can double check with them, but honestly I think it could work if need be.

Ben, Thanks for posting that link to the talk on economic inequality at UNC.  It's on my calendar :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #325 on: September 05, 2015, 08:09:42 PM »
James/mefla, I thought about suggesting The Frontier as well - great minds ;) It is an entrepreneur coworking space but as far as I know, free to work out of.  I have a few friends who work out of there sometimes.  I can double check with them, but honestly I think it could work if need be.

Ben, Thanks for posting that link to the talk on economic inequality at UNC.  It's on my calendar :)

Excellent, excellent!

If we can draw a number of MMM'ers, I would be all over The Frontier. And I know they allow craft ale, they provide it for free on Thursdays after work. I'm thinking maybe I just pick a day in the future and we turn their Thursday-after-work party into a MMM meetup!

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: October 01, 2015, 08:03:59 AM »
Hi all! Just wondering if there is any update on a date anyone was thinking of for a meetup. My DH and I are free most Thursday afternoons/evenings and most Saturdays as well.

thelongsabbatical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #327 on: October 01, 2015, 08:54:14 AM »
The Frontier would work well for me. Would folks be able to meet there next Thursday at ~5:00?

P.S. - Today is the first day of my semi-retirement(!).

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #328 on: October 02, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »
The Frontier would work well for me. Would folks be able to meet there next Thursday at ~5:00?

Congratulations on the semi-retirement!

So by my recollection that is Thursday, October 9th ~5pm (maybe we should say 5:30 to give us worker bees time to arrive?). I could make that work, I will tentatively put it on my calendar.

thelongsabbatical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #329 on: October 02, 2015, 12:40:01 PM »
Sounds good. I'll plan to be there Thursday 10/8 at 5:30 PM. Hope others can join us.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #330 on: October 02, 2015, 07:12:39 PM »
Sounds good. I'll plan to be there Thursday 10/8 at 5:30 PM. Hope others can join us.

I should be able to make it too, I'll put it on my calendar.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: October 02, 2015, 08:22:37 PM »
I can make an appearance from 5:30-6:30, but have to leave shortly after.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #332 on: October 03, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »

Congratulations on the semi-retirement!

So by my recollection that is Thursday, October 9th ~5pm (maybe we should say 5:30 to give us worker bees time to arrive?). I could make that work, I will tentatively put it on my calendar.

I'm in. Thursday, 5:30pm. I've been meaning to get up there, apparently there's free (Bombshell Brewery) products?

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2015, 06:06:05 AM »
I'll be at the Frontier from about 4:40 to 6:20.  Have dinner plans so won't be able to stay too long! I'll try to position myself in the lobby or in a central area.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #334 on: October 07, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »
Thanks to everyone for planning! Sorry I put the wrong date in there, it's tomorrow the 8th (not the 9th). I look forward to seeing everyone.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #335 on: October 07, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »
Thanks to everyone for planning! Sorry I put the wrong date in there, it's tomorrow the 8th (not the 9th). I look forward to seeing everyone.

I'm in. I'll be there early w/plans to head out early.

Does anyone have thought for a discussion topic? I was thinking about bringing up bikes or ebikes. I've got an ebike I could bring as a demonstration unit.

AND OF COURSE, FIRE and money and frugal topics!

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #336 on: October 08, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
My husband and I will be there! We'll probably be there around 5:30-6:30. Never been to the Frontier but it sounds cool! Mefla, it'd be interesting to see your ebike and hear your opinions on it.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #337 on: October 08, 2015, 10:45:21 AM »
My husband and I will be there! We'll probably be there around 5:30-6:30. Never been to the Frontier but it sounds cool! Mefla, it'd be interesting to see your ebike and hear your opinions on it.

Dang lemondirgopie, I'm sorry - I didn't hear back from anyone about the ebike, so I didn't bring it with me today. I'm so sorry! I have lots of photos and I can discuss, if you like.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #338 on: October 08, 2015, 11:26:55 AM »
I will get there before 5 to avoid the traffic nonsense. Free beer from 430!

Never been to the Frontier either, but I remember some faces, looking forward to seeing some new ones.

thelongsabbatical

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #339 on: October 08, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »
I'm aiming to arrive around 5:00 or a little earlier. I'm wearing a navy blue t-shirt and tan corduroys. Look forward to meeting you all soon.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #340 on: October 08, 2015, 03:45:30 PM »
We are at The Frontier. In the glass atrium in the back. Six of us in a corner couch. I have a Hawaiian flowery shirt on and jeans.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: October 08, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
Nice seeing/meeting everyone tonight!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #342 on: October 09, 2015, 05:42:07 AM »
Seconded. Good turnout, team! I wouldn't be opposed to other mid-week events instead of the usual weekend meetup.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #343 on: October 09, 2015, 03:26:02 PM »
Seconded. Good turnout, team! I wouldn't be opposed to other mid-week events instead of the usual weekend meetup.

I had a GREAT time. My only frustrations are that we didn't have enough time (I didn't really get to visit with everyone as much as I wanted) and we had a hard time assembling everyone because there were so many other people.

I say we go back again, same time, same place, but claim that couch as "our own". And someone, bring a mustache!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #344 on: October 11, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »
Oh man, looks like I missed the meetup by taking an unintentional forum hiatus.  :) 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #345 on: October 11, 2015, 08:24:12 PM »
Oh man, looks like I missed the meetup by taking an unintentional forum hiatus.  :)

I was very bummed we missed you J-man. But there must be another one, soon. I'm concocting subjects to talk about and places to meet.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #346 on: October 11, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
I was very bummed we missed you J-man. But there must be another one, soon. I'm concocting subjects to talk about and places to meet.

Sounds good!  Weather is very nice outside this time of year so an outdoor meetup would be great. 

lemondirgopie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2015, 08:45:19 AM »
Hey guys! Thought this might interest some of you. I just started a Buy Nothing group for Northwest Durham and I knew at least one other person might be in the area of the group.

Buy Nothing is a hyper-local gift economy, sort of like a neighborhood Craigslist on Facebook where no money or bartering is traded or done. You post something you need or want to give and see if there are any takers in your area. I heard about it through the Frugalwoods blog and saw that there was no group for my area and decided to start one. If you're not in the Northwest area then check out the Buy Nothing site to see if there's a group for your area: http://buynothingproject.org/find-a-group/

Here's the Durham Northwest group for anyone that might be in the area. In order to join just PM me so I can confirm you are in the area and I'll add you: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1169006066450038/

Attached is a map of the boundaries of the group.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: November 21, 2015, 10:37:18 AM »
What's everyone's appetite for another meetup between Thanksgiving and Christmas, say mid-December?

If everyone is busy with awkward office parties and dieting, it can wait until next year.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #349 on: November 21, 2015, 02:03:06 PM »
What's everyone's appetite for another meetup between Thanksgiving and Christmas, say mid-December?

If everyone is busy with awkward office parties and dieting, it can wait until next year.
I'm down!