Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 208573 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #250 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:24 PM »
I'm also fine to move to 12:30.

ThreadPacifist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #251 on: April 29, 2015, 05:53:19 PM »
12:30 is fine with us

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #252 on: April 29, 2015, 06:19:31 PM »
Everybody who had responded so far is cool with 1230, so 1230 it shall be.

The next Triangle MMM meetup is now a potluck brunch/lunch/whatever on May 16, 2015 (Saturday) at 12:30 in Duke Gardens, in Durham.

We currently have 5 people confirmed plus a likely delegation from the RootOfGood household whose size remains to be determined. If anybody else is planning on attending, please respond and subscribe to this thread to make sure you get updates.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #253 on: April 29, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »
We'll definitely be there and might even get there before 12:30 since it looks like we'll be free in Raleigh around 11 or 11:30.  We've never been to Duke gardens so will definitely be checking it out if we get there early.  Yay being tourists in our own town!  :)  It should be me, Mrs. RootofGood and the 3 kids.  Hoping some others will come up with some kids to bring along, too. 

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2015, 10:32:58 AM »
Hey, my response is way late but I'll be there. :)

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2015, 02:14:54 PM »

The next Triangle MMM meetup is now a potluck brunch/lunch/whatever on May 16, 2015 (Saturday) at 12:30 in Duke Gardens, in Durham.

We currently have 5 people confirmed plus a likely delegation from the RootOfGood household whose size remains to be determined. If anybody else is planning on attending, please respond and subscribe to this thread to make sure you get updates.

I plan to bring some homemade banana chocolate chip muffins... anyone opposed?

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Online Diary of JDGJ
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2015, 02:20:23 PM »
Just started with the forums, and sadly, I have other plans for the proposed weekend (I'm meeting up with other work friends).

I have subscribed for notifications on this thread for future meet ups (I currently live in Mebane).

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2015, 05:32:55 PM »

I'm interested and planning to be there! Looking to meet other MMM-minded folks, learn anything and everything I can!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2015, 05:58:23 PM »
Excellent! If I'm counting this right we now have 9 confirmed (plus 3 children), which is I believe the most we've ever had. Looking forward to seeing some new faces!

I plan to bring some homemade banana chocolate chip muffins... anyone opposed?
That sounds delicious. I am planning on making a bean salad.

Masha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2015, 07:01:51 PM »
Oh great! I can make this.

Planning to attend, possibly with spouse and toddler.

I will bring a veggie and/or grain salad.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2015, 07:46:48 PM »
BTW: I'm trying to get DW to come with, so I'm possibly "2". I live the keto lifestyle so I'll be bringing something definitely gluten-free and low-carb.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #261 on: May 11, 2015, 08:56:48 PM »
I'm hoping to figure out a meatalicious dish that's hot. 

Any thoughts on plates, utensils, drinks, etc?  BYOB all that stuff?  I can probably bring a couple of half gallons of water, disposable cups, plates, utensils, etc. 

Do they have water fountains and bathrooms in the gardens? 

ThreadPacifist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: May 11, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »
We're planning on bringing a breakfast casserole. I can try to bring along some paper plates.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #263 on: May 11, 2015, 10:32:42 PM »
Meat = keto = awesome!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #264 on: May 12, 2015, 04:41:55 AM »

Any thoughts on plates, utensils, drinks, etc?  BYOB all that stuff?  I can probably bring a couple of half gallons of water, disposable cups, plates, utensils, etc. 

Do they have water fountains and bathrooms in the gardens?
There is at least one water fountain that I know of. I am bringing a picnic basket with enough plates, cups, and utensils for 4. If someone volunteers to bring a few more, then we will have enough for everybody. No need to have everone carry their own kitchen.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #265 on: May 12, 2015, 07:44:30 AM »
They have water fountains and restrooms in the visitor centre at the front. I don't think they have them further in the gardens.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #266 on: May 12, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
There is at least one other restroom in the gardens but I can't recall how close it is to where we're going to be - sorry not super helpful!

I am baking bread tonight and will bring that along with some bread accouterments.

*Edited to say what I will bring.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:43:16 AM by Megma »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2015, 02:16:14 PM »
There is a restroom (and water fountain) next to the fish pond right by where we're meeting.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: May 16, 2015, 04:20:31 PM »
Thanks to everyone who came out today, especially if you were coming from far away!

It was nice meeting with like-minded MMM readers and putting faces to screen names. Mad props on making the delicious food happen, I don't think I will need much of a dinner tonight.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: May 16, 2015, 05:56:05 PM »
Nice to meet everyone! Looking forward to the next meetup!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #270 on: May 16, 2015, 08:20:16 PM »
Hey all - had a GREAT time today! I'm sorry I didn't get to meet EVERYone but it seemed a great time was had by all. Let's do it again sometime!
BTW: We talked about cargo bikes. i came home and found this in my email:
http://electricbikereport.com/electric-cargo-bike-guide/

« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 08:29:49 PM by mefla »

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #271 on: May 16, 2015, 08:34:02 PM »
It was great to sit down with you all today! And the food was awesome (almost like we coordinated what we brought). 

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #272 on: May 16, 2015, 08:51:31 PM »
It was great getting to meet more MMM-ers in person today! We should definitely try to make this a semi-regular thing :)

ThreadPacifist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #273 on: May 16, 2015, 09:44:43 PM »
We enjoyed meeting everyone. Not sure how often we will make the drive, but we'll attempt to come to at least 1 or 2 a year.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #274 on: May 16, 2015, 10:10:50 PM »
Here's the Cute Overload, as promised.

This is Luna, our white Dwarf Netherland rabbit, asleep in her favorite chair. All you can see are her rear legs and her puffball tail. What's unusual is that she is lying on her side, completely asleep.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:10:07 AM by mefla »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #275 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:23 AM »
We enjoyed meeting everyone. Not sure how often we will make the drive, but we'll attempt to come to at least 1 or 2 a year.
So you'll be attending all of them then!

More seriously, we can do the quarry again in a few months when it's hot. It requires a little more organization, but I'm happy to play benevolent dictator again.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #276 on: May 17, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »

More seriously, we can do the quarry again in a few months when it's hot. It requires a little more organization, but I'm happy to play benevolent dictator again.

What is the quarry?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #277 on: May 17, 2015, 06:08:46 PM »

What is the quarry?
It's a water hole in Eno River State Park.

Here's a picture:

jdgj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Online Diary of JDGJ
« Reply #278 on: May 17, 2015, 06:57:29 PM »
I'd definitely be down to visit the quarry :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #279 on: May 17, 2015, 09:30:40 PM »
Well, I shouldn't be surprised, you probably have a drawer with a Speedo for every day of the week! :-) :-)

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #280 on: May 18, 2015, 05:16:23 PM »
yay quarry!

economist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: May 27, 2015, 03:09:06 PM »
I moved to Raleigh last fall and would love to come to the next meetup if there is one. Posting so I get updates.

MamaPenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2015, 09:56:15 PM »
Following, I'm in Raleigh as well and would come to come to the next meetup.

MamaPenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2015, 06:54:57 AM »
*love to come to the next meetup.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #284 on: June 12, 2015, 09:30:38 AM »
Can I get some comments from folks about chiefly what area around Raleigh you live in? I tell people "Raleigh" but I'm actually 18 miles north, up in Youngsville.

There are lots of venues in north raleigh for a meetup, plenty of common greenspaces and picnic areas. Wake Forest even has a neat little "gazebo" in downtown, sitting in a parking lot, that would make a good meetup spot. AND, they have a brewpub that would be an even more AWESOME meetup spot.

I'd be interested in planning a kind of North Raleigh sub-group meeting where we just land at a brewpub or a civilized bar/pub for a little while and talk shop about frugalism, MMM and investing.

fdubz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2015, 11:18:39 AM »
I'm in southwest Virginia, but I'd definitely love to join the Carolina 'Staches if it's within a couple hours drive! 

Melf

• Stubble
« Reply #286 on: June 17, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »
I haven't attended any meetups yet but have considered it.  I currently live in Fuquay Varina Southwest of Raleigh but I've lived in a few areas around Raleigh/Wake Co.  I started out in Southern Granville county not far from Youngsville then to Wake Forest and then Zebulon.  My office is still just outside Youngsville on US1 but I work from home 99% of the time.  Driving 40+ miles across Wake County isn't fun.....ever.

MamaPenny

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #287 on: June 18, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
We're about two miles from downtown Raleigh. North Raleigh sounds good for a meetup. Any particular place you were thinking? There are also several breweries that have openned in the area that may be a good location to meet up. Big Boss, NickelPoint or BlackJack Brewing Company. There's normally a lot of seating, reasonably priced beers and food trucks.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #288 on: June 19, 2015, 12:05:47 PM »
We're about two miles from downtown Raleigh. North Raleigh sounds good for a meetup. Any particular place you were thinking? There are also several breweries that have openned in the area that may be a good location to meet up. Big Boss, NickelPoint or BlackJack Brewing Company. There's normally a lot of seating, reasonably priced beers and food trucks.

Good points, all, about the brewing companies and pubs! I love the idea of landing at a pub, but I don't love the idea of spending $5 for a pint pour. I'm wondering if there's some way to find a place to meetup that won't compromise our frugality, and possibly, bring some HOMEBREW? I'm wondering how many of you are homebrew-curious and might be interested in trying some free of charge.

I'm thinking of a park-like atmosphere with a couple picnic tables and a freestanding permanent charcoal grill. Then anyone who wanted to bring something to grill could do so. (not sure I'd try that in this heat, but hey, nice to have the option).

I guess we'd need to find some place with public bathroom accessibility. That was the HUGE WIN at Duke Gardens: they had public bathrooms right across the field from where we met. Of course, landing at a brewpub solves that problem nicely, too....

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #289 on: June 21, 2015, 01:54:31 PM »
I'm 4 miles from downtown Raleigh along US 1 so North Raleigh is very convenient to me of course (though I'm more of a Midtown resident). 

I can't think of any free outdoor places with bathrooms and grills that also allow drinking in public.  I think most city/county parks frown on that sort of thing.  There's a park in my neighborhood that has bathrooms, grills, and a covered picnic shelter (again, 4 miles from downtown), but it's a city park so alcohol is technically a no no.  Homebrew sounds great though I'm no brewer.

I'd be up for meeting at a coffee place too.  You can usually get that kind of brew for a buck or two and sit for hours. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #290 on: June 21, 2015, 02:08:48 PM »
I'm 4 miles from downtown Raleigh along US 1 so North Raleigh is very convenient to me of course (though I'm more of a Midtown resident). 

I can't think of any free outdoor places with bathrooms and grills that also allow drinking in public.  I think most city/county parks frown on that sort of thing.  There's a park in my neighborhood that has bathrooms, grills, and a covered picnic shelter (again, 4 miles from downtown), but it's a city park so alcohol is technically a no no.  Homebrew sounds great though I'm no brewer.

I'd be up for meeting at a coffee place too.  You can usually get that kind of brew for a buck or two and sit for hours.

I'm starting to like the "meet indoors" idea way better than meeting outside, whether it's a coffee place or a brewpub or whatever. I realized after posting my earlier comment that it's gonna be hot as hell for the forseeable future around here and I'd like to have another meetup sooner rather than later.

RootofGood, what would you think about landing some place like Big Boss? I don't know if they'd want anyone bringing homebrew, but I'm sure it's cool inside and the bathrooms are good.

And of course, there's any number of very excellent brewpubs in downtown, but I figure Big Boss has space and would be less crowded...

Thoughts?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: June 21, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Yeah the heat pretty much rules out outdoor venues if you want to get one going soon. I don't think the homebrew meetup idea is really viable unless someone is gracious enough to host in their own home.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #292 on: June 21, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
One free option is the meeting rooms at Wake County Public Libraries.  No food and drinks unfortunately, but you can reserve the room itself for free.  I imagine water and maybe coffee is allowed.  The best north Raleigh library might be North Regional Library and they have a 30 person conference room available.  The facility is almost brand new so should be pretty decent. 

Also, if there are any faculty or students at NCSU or Duke, they might be able to reserve a room that allows food and drinks too. 

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2015, 07:46:49 AM »
I'm in Raleigh and would love to meet up with folks.  Anyone free to meet in mid-july?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #294 on: July 22, 2015, 09:07:36 PM »
Anyone for the Quarry? How does August 2 sound? It's hot, nows the time!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: July 25, 2015, 08:35:35 AM »
Anyone for the Quarry? How does August 2 sound? It's hot, nows the time!
It's too short notice for me, but I'd be down a couple weekends from now.

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #296 on: July 26, 2015, 09:33:59 PM »
Which quarry in Raleigh?  The one off Duraleigh?  Heard there's a nice hiking trail around it but haven't done it (I assume it's private property/trespassing?!).

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #297 on: July 26, 2015, 09:50:51 PM »
Which quarry in Raleigh?  The one off Duraleigh?  Heard there's a nice hiking trail around it but haven't done it (I assume it's private property/trespassing?!).

I think she means the quarry in Rolesville, north/northeast of Raleigh. It's a well-known swimmin hole and scuba training center. (BTW: I won't be there, I don't do the swimming thing.)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #298 on: July 29, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
I mean the one north of durham (Also north of Raleigh, but could be others? That are "north" of Raleigh) but either way it seems we don't have critical mass for these weekend! Some other time 😃

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #299 on: August 03, 2015, 07:44:11 AM »
I might be down for the quarry this coming Sunday (8/9). I live in central Durham about 15 min away, happy to drive from there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!