Author Topic: North Carolina  (Read 208576 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: North Carolina
« Reply #450 on: April 22, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
Looking forward to seeing you all this Sunday!

Sunday April 24 at 12:30pm at Duke gardens. Here it the link to the map again: http://m.imgur.com/eJXH2j8?r

I am planning to bring homemade bread for the potluck! I also suggest we each bring our own water/beverage.

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #451 on: April 22, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »
MMM party?

Any gatherings around CLT?  I'm spending a lot of time around Cornelius these days.  Would be good to meet for a beer sometime.

GreenEggs-

I live between Winston & Lexington, a local meetup sounds like a great idea!  Any suggestions for locations?  Anybody else in the Triad?

change_seeker

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: April 22, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »

Sunday April 24 at 12:30pm at Duke gardens. Here it the link to the map again: http://m.imgur.com/eJXH2j8?r

I am planning to bring homemade bread for the potluck! I also suggest we each bring our own water/beverage.

I plan on being there as well, with ... Mrs. Change_Seeker (that sounds awkward) ... and our three mini-mustaches.  Spoiler Alert, I do not have any form of a real-life mustache...although now that I mention it we have had a lot of fun with the stick-on ones from the dollar store.

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #453 on: April 22, 2016, 08:09:41 AM »
Hi change_seeker I'm from Lexington. I live on the side closer to Winston-Salem. It's nice to see a fellow Mustachian from the triad. Unfortunately I can't make the meetup this Sunday. Somewhere in the Winston-Salem or one of the smaller towns around it would be good for a triad meetup I think.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #454 on: April 22, 2016, 08:28:05 AM »
Looks like the weather is going to be great on Sunday. Not sure what I will be bringing yet, hesitating between a bean salad and pineapple.

I also suggest we each bring our own water/beverage.
Cool, I have been meaning to show off my vanguard water bottle.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: April 23, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
Looks like the weather is going to be great on Sunday. Not sure what I will be bringing yet, hesitating between a bean salad and pineapple.

I also suggest we each bring our own water/beverage.
Cool, I have been meaning to show off my vanguard water bottle.

That vanguard water bottle is hilarious.

Not sure what I'm gonna make yet either....

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #456 on: April 23, 2016, 11:42:39 PM »

Near as I can tell from the map, we're gonna be ACROSS the field from where we were last time, right?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: April 24, 2016, 08:48:46 AM »
On my way up from Fayetteville.

Red t-shirt, blue jeans, white sneakers, white guy, beard and mustache...

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #458 on: April 24, 2016, 08:55:25 AM »
Have fun y'all.

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #459 on: April 24, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
I'm here and I *think* im in the right place. I'm in a black and White skirt on a white blanket.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #460 on: April 24, 2016, 11:15:06 AM »

Near as I can tell from the map, we're gonna be ACROSS the field from where we were last time, right?

Hey all, I can't make it, have a sick pet. :-( Sending you all my best wishes for an excellent meet-up!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #461 on: April 24, 2016, 04:26:41 PM »
It was really nice to meet so many of you!

If you want to talk to me about RE in Fayetteville or jewelry making, you know how to reach me. :)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #462 on: April 24, 2016, 07:42:34 PM »

Hey all, I can't make it, have a sick pet. :-( Sending you all my best wishes for an excellent meet-up!

We missed you! I hope the pet is well soon!

Nice seeing/meeting everyone who came!

Swordguy, thanks for the RE chat! Would love to do a meetup to see some Fayetteville RE, maybe when you don't have three house projects 😀

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: April 24, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »

Swordguy, thanks for the RE chat! Would love to do a meetup to see some Fayetteville RE, maybe when you don't have three house projects 😀

No need to wait.  I'm sure I'm going to need a break! :)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #464 on: April 25, 2016, 07:25:20 AM »
It was nice to see the real people behind the names. Thanks for organizing this.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: April 26, 2016, 02:40:18 PM »
Somebody left a "blue ice" ice pack in my cooler. Let me know if you want it back, I will keep it aside.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #466 on: May 16, 2016, 08:42:27 AM »
Hi NC (and specifically Triangle) peeps!

I'm co-hosting an event that will take place in RTP in June - June 21st.  It's called "The Road to Financial Wellness".  If you're familiar with the financial site Phroogal (www.phroogal.com), it's the founder who is going on a roadtrip promoting financial empowerment.  Should be a fun time, and it's free to attend.  You can RSVP here (and get a free book if you're quick enough): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-smile-lifestyle-event-in-raleigh-nc-pit-stop-13-tickets-25276934993

Feel free to reach out if you have questions.  I hope to see some of you there!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
  • Retired at age 33. 5 years in, still loving it!
    • Root of Good
« Reply #467 on: May 17, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »

I'm co-hosting an event that will take place in RTP in June - June 21st.  It's called "The Road to Financial Wellness".  If you're familiar with the financial site Phroogal (www.phroogal.com), it's the founder who is going on a roadtrip promoting financial empowerment.  Should be a fun time, and it's free to attend.  You can RSVP here (and get a free book if you're quick enough): https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-smile-lifestyle-event-in-raleigh-nc-pit-stop-13-tickets-25276934993

I'll also be giving a presentation at the event and look forward to seeing any local MMMers!

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2016, 09:05:45 PM »

I'll also be giving a presentation at the event and look forward to seeing any local MMMers!

Two of my fave people are already committed - how can I resist? Got my ticket!

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #469 on: May 19, 2016, 05:59:42 AM »

Two of my fave people are already committed - how can I resist? Got my ticket!

Thank you!!! See you then!

Juan@FinanceClever.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life is good
    • Financeclever.com
« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
Hello Triangle!

My name is Juan, I live in Raleigh with my wife Elisa. We recently attended Camp Mustache 2016 and loved meeting so many mustachians. I enjoyed it so much that I am planning a mustachian meetup in the Raleigh area!

I have exchanged a few emails with Justin from rootofgood.com and it is likely he will come!

Here are the details:

When: June 25, 2016 at 10:00am.
Where: NC Museum of Art (2110 Blue Ridge Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607)
What: Meet and hang out with fellow Mustachians!

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope to see many of you there!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 01:01:21 PM by Juan@FinanceClever.com »

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #471 on: June 09, 2016, 05:40:38 AM »
Hello Triangle!

My name is Juan, I live in Raleigh with my wife Elisa. We recently attended Camp Mustache 2016 and loved meeting so many mustachians. I enjoyed it so much that I am planning a mustachian meetup in the Raleigh area!

I have exchanged a few emails with Justin from rootofgood.com and it is likely he will come!

Here are the details:

When: June 25, 2016 at 5:30pm
Where: NC Museum of Art (2110 Blue Ridge Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607)
What: Meet and hang out with fellow Mustachians!

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope to see many of you there!

Thanks for planning.  I will be there... and in Raleigh this time, woohoo! (I live by NC State)

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #472 on: June 09, 2016, 05:48:26 AM »
I'll be there on the 25th as well. I live right down the road from the museum, so this one is super convenient for me. :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #473 on: June 09, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
Hey Juan, I just emailed you back (sorry I missed your earlier email a few days ago!), but I see you've already got a time set up.

I should be there. 

Any shady places to hang out outside or is there a good lounge space inside if it's super hot/humid?

Juan@FinanceClever.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life is good
    • Financeclever.com
« Reply #474 on: June 09, 2016, 01:06:42 PM »
Hey All,

Just wanted to let you know that we have changed the time to 10am. Same date and place.
Changed the time because:

- 5:30pm may be too hot for some and we wouldn't have the option to go inside since the museum would be closed.
- At 10am we have the option to go inside if it's raining.

Sorry if the change is an inconvenience. Looking forward to meeting everybody!!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #475 on: June 23, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »
Hi, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.  I bumped into thedayisbrave this week at The Frontier and she's in for Saturday.

Where do we want to meet?  Weather says high of 86 degrees so it might get hot by noon.  I looked at google streetview and there appear to be some outdoor tables but not a ton of shade sort of in between the 2 art museum buildings in a courtyard area.  Their website mentioned picnic tables under some trees to the east of their east building (the older and less modern looking building) but I can't recall ever seeing them. 

Inside the museum there's a lobby area with comfy seats that runs into an open cafe area with even more comfy seats.  The cafe doesn't serve till 11:30 so we could probably hang out there till 11:30 and probably later if it's not nice outside.  I'll try to call tomorrow to check on whether they care if we loiter in the cafe area (I doubt it's ever anywhere near full since there's two separate seating sections within what looks like the cafe area from google streetview imagery inside the museum).  Obviously I don't want to subject the group to spending $5 on a coffee or whatever the fancy pants museum charges so we'll see what they say.  They might also have other rooms in the museum where they could host us.  I'm open to other suggestions too since I've only been to the museum a few times in the past several years since the new building opened. 

FYI, I think the Hunt Library at Centennial campus would be another excellent venue for a meetup in the future (for the Raleigh folks at least).  Lots of inside meeting space and some good outside picnic tables and it's a cool facility.  Free parking nights and weekends.  And fairly bikeable to get there if you're in Raleigh. 

Juan@FinanceClever.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life is good
    • Financeclever.com
« Reply #476 on: June 24, 2016, 08:00:41 AM »
Hey Justin, thank you for taking the lead on finding an exact spot. Last time I was at the Museum with a group of friends we just hung out under the shade of the trees near the outdoor amphitheater.

Let's meet outside by the amphitheater, and then we can decide if we want to go inside or stay outdoors (I'd suggest bringing a picnic blanket or a folding chair in case we stay outside).

Look forward to meeting everybody!!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #477 on: June 24, 2016, 08:11:23 AM »
Sounds good Juan. See you and the others down there.  We can update this thread if we move later.

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #478 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
Great meet up today at the NC Museum of Art.  Hard to complain about the near-perfect weather for late June (though I still got some major sun burn/tanning going on).  I think I counted 8 of us.  Paul der Krake, Juan and wife and a few of his friends, and what I assume was Bourbon Belle (though I forgot to ask your screen name Ms. Belle). 

Juan@FinanceClever.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life is good
    • Financeclever.com
« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2016, 06:40:11 AM »
Thank you all for coming! It was great meeting you.
Look forward to seeing you again soon!

Bourbon Belle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #480 on: June 26, 2016, 08:33:58 AM »
That was me! :) It was great to see everyone - familiar faces and new faces. Looking forward to the next meetup!

hualon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #481 on: June 29, 2016, 06:47:11 AM »
Sorry I had to miss this one! I don't regularly check the forum here. Has anyone considered starting a Meetup page?

Juan@FinanceClever.com

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life is good
    • Financeclever.com
« Reply #482 on: June 30, 2016, 12:13:36 PM »
Sorry you missed it too, Hualon. I do like the idea of having a place where we can plan meetups and that people will check more regularly.

I think Meetup charges organizer fees. A Facebook group should also work and it is free!

Just created the group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/266574287039003/

If the link doesn't work, try searching for "NC Triangle on FIRE".

Join in if you want and let me know if you have any trouble :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:01:00 AM by Juan@FinanceClever.com »

hualon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #483 on: July 21, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
Signed up! Thanks for setting that up.

I didn't know that Meetup charged; that stinks.

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #484 on: July 22, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »
Following, so I don't miss the next one :)

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #485 on: August 02, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »
FYI, there's a poll and discussion on the facebook page for a meetup later in August or, more likely, September.  Hunt Library at NCSU's centennial campus is the current front runner I think. 

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #486 on: August 18, 2016, 08:53:13 PM »
Oh I missed things! I just requested o join the new Facebook group!

Systems101

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: August 18, 2016, 09:22:17 PM »
FYI, there's a poll and discussion on the facebook page for a meetup later in August or, more likely, September.  Hunt Library at NCSU's centennial campus is the current front runner I think.

If someone can be so kind as to post here once things are decided it would be great :)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #488 on: August 19, 2016, 01:30:00 AM »

If someone can be so kind as to post here once things are decided it would be great :)
The date has been set. It will be September 17 at 1pm at the Hunt Library, 1070 Partners Way in Raleigh. Right now there are 7 confirmed attendees. Thanks to Ellen for organizing!

RootofGood

• Handlebar Stache
    • Root of Good
« Reply #489 on: September 16, 2016, 09:58:40 PM »
Reminder that we're meeting up at Hunt Library on NC State University's Centennial Campus at 1 pm Saturday 9/17. 

On the Triangle on FIRE facebook page I suggested we meet up in the lobby in front of the elevators by the woven wicker bench that looks like modern artwork (but I'm 90% sure it's an actual bench for sitting; if you're tiny you can also crawl through it).

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #490 on: October 13, 2016, 09:19:35 AM »
Any word on the next meet up? I just moved to South Carolina.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #491 on: October 13, 2016, 10:20:14 AM »
The poll taken on the Facebook group came out to October 29 at 11am for a potluck in Crabtree Park in Raleigh.

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #492 on: October 14, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
The poll taken on the Facebook group came out to October 29 at 11am for a potluck in Crabtree Park in Raleigh.

Thanks, I was having trouble with the search function, did I miss a South Carolina group or does this one cover both states pretty well?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: October 14, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »

Thanks, I was having trouble with the search function, did I miss a South Carolina group or does this one cover both states pretty well?
I am not aware of any active SC group- but everyone is welcome to ours. We've had folks come from as far as Wilmington, but you will probably be setting a record if you show up!

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #494 on: October 14, 2016, 01:17:14 PM »
I have no plans that day, just the thought of a 3.5 hour drive might stop me, but I discovered MMM 2 weeks after moving AWAY from Denver and I had no luck meeting any Mustaches in San Antonio, of course I now see an Austin meetup 2 weeks after moving to South Carolina! So I will put it in my calendar and try my best.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #495 on: October 14, 2016, 01:45:01 PM »
what part of SC did you move to Heroes?

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: October 14, 2016, 02:47:29 PM »
hoping I moved to Sumter for a year.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #497 on: October 24, 2016, 12:28:22 AM »
Hey All - I'm back. Just took a few months off from the forums. Sorry I missed the meetup at the Hunt Library! So we've got something percolating for Oct. 29?

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #498 on: December 16, 2016, 05:23:34 AM »
Hey all,

We're visiting your fair area until the 27th, and thought it might be fun to meet up with you all. Do you have any plans for an upcoming meetup, or would anyone be interested in one? Our schedule is relatively open, have nothing else to do :)

Suggestion on location is great as well. I saw that you met up at Duke Gardens previously, that's selfishly close to where we are staying, but I'm not sure if the weather calls for an outdoor meetup. I'm open to exploring anywhere or roughly accessing neighboring city. Sure I could find a way to get out there.

Hope to meet some of you.

Would love another meetup, but not sure if the holidays have people scurrying about -- December/January are usually tricky months to plan anything, at least among my friend circle.

I'm totally down though.  I'm right on the Raleigh/Cary border so Durham isn't too far for me.  Perhaps we can see how many are up for a meetup.. but if not just PM me and we can plan our own mini meetup :)

There is also a Triangle Area Mustachians Facebook group.. I know some peeps are active on there and not so much on the forums.. once we get something set up I will cross-post.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #499 on: December 16, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
I am game in early January. Too chilly for Duke gardens I think. Maybe some where in the southpoint area? It's more central for Durham, Chapel Hill and Apex/Cary people.

The Frontier also has happy hour on the 5th of January but that might be tough for me to make, so I'm hesitant to suggest it...