Author Topic: Nomadic, RVing Mustachians unite!  (Read 23397 times)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
Nomadic, RVing Mustachians unite!
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:53:54 AM »
There seems to be a growing number of us living in RV's part time, full time, travelling North America or planning to do so.

I have been wondering about a way for us to connect and possibly meet up on the road.

Here on the forum it's already easy to miss meetups, when you are stationairy.
With everyone all over the map AND moving all the time, I figured it's going to be even harder for us nomads.

I went ahead and created a group on RVillage, which lets you "check in" where you are
and see if other group members are nearby.
Join here: https://www.rvillage.com/group/2474/fire-mmm

I also created a Facebook group. Not all of us are big facebook fans,
but I wanted to give people options.
Join here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/264644053996233/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel

Let's see how this develops.
If you have better suggestions, or can think of an efficient way to create a group here on the forum, please let me know.

If you are a full time RVer / Nomad in North America or are planning on becoming one soon,
please feel free to join us!

Also, if you are a non-nomad and would like to offer your fellow MMM readers a driveway or RV gate to stay for a night or two, in order to meet more of your MMM board friends, feel free to post here as well.
I wish I had done that, when I still had my house. I would have loved to learn from visiting RVers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:33:49 AM by FrugalZony »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
Re: Nomadic, RVing Mustachians unite!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »
Thanks for this. I was just thinking about this problem. Let's see how either of these solutions work

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »
I signed up!  Hopefully the mod likes me enough that she will let me join...

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:49 AM »
I signed up!  Hopefully the mod likes me enough that she will let me join...
That Mod....don't even get me started on her....
But I'll put in a word for you fo sho ;)

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
We will be Full timers starting in Spring 2018.  I just joined the RVillage group but the Facebook link didn't work for me. 

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 03:05:49 PM »
Yay! A couple more months until I'm mobile and a little over a year until I'm permanently nomadic. Can I still join if I just have a pickup and eventually a trailer?

Facebook link didn't work for me either.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »
Try the Facebook link without the edit part at the end:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/264644053996233/

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
Thank you for creating these groups.  I have joined both.

I think the best thing about the RVillage site, is the

FIRE / MMM  Group Map

showing where everyone's current RV location is.

(However, you have to remember to change the drop-down default from "100 miles" to "All Members" to see everyone.)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Thank you all!
I am so glad to see, that there is interest and people are joining the groups.

I know some of you read many of the journals, so please feel free to cross post the links to folks that you know are RVing already
and or are planning to in the future.

I now wish, I had thought of this while I still had the house with the RV gate.
I could have hosted RVing Firees and picked their brains, LOL!

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »
I am getting caught up! I've joined RVillage and asked for an invite to the group, am skipping FB for now. Thanks for setting these up!

stevef941

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm thinking about RVing and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for trying it out without buying.  I looked around on the internet and it seems renting an RV is more costly then most hotels.  Thanks in advance!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »
Hi Everyone, I'm thinking about RVing and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for trying it out without buying.  I looked around on the internet and it seems renting an RV is more costly then most hotels.  Thanks in advance!
During a get together earlier this year, I met a gal who makes a living, transferring RV's from manufacturers to dealers and such.
I don't recall the company she works for (but I can probably find out if you are interested).
She gets paid a fixed amount of money to take an RV say from IN to CA. She has to pay gas from that allowance, but she gets to stay in the RV and explore the country. She tows her own car and travels all over
You have to complete the relocation within a certain number of days, but she says it's usually plenty time to not get stressed.
Whenever she has decided on her next place to go, she goes on the website and finds a relocation going that way, makes some money in the process and gets to try out all kinds of rigs.

I know there are companies out there that let you relocate RV's for a discounted rental rate. But her deal sounds much better, LOL!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »
I know there are companies out there that let you relocate RV's for a discounted rental rate.
I did an end-of-season RV repositioning a few years back.  It was fun.  I only had to pay for my fuel.

Also,
I met a gal who makes a living, transferring RV's from manufacturers to dealers and such.
I don't recall the company she works for (but I can probably find out if you are interested).
She gets paid a fixed amount of money to take an RV say from IN to CA.

I would be very interested in this.
If you could pass along the manufacturer info to me, I would appreciate it. 
Thanks.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 10:10:30 PM »
FZ, where is she when she's not relocating an RV? Does she have a conventional dwelling as a permanent home base? And does she always do the relocations out of there or does she drive long distances to pick up?

She had sold her home a while ago and was doing this full time. Not sure how long though. She sometimes seeks out relocations to cities where she has friends or family.
When I met her, she had just delivered an RV and was staying in her car for a few days.

She has to provide her own towing device for her car.
She did get a CDL so she'd have more selection of rigs to drive.

I know that some companies won't allow you to use the RV, but they expect you to stay in Motels (provide discounts). Obviously this would not be what you are looking for.
She specifically said that her company allows the use of the RVs.

I know there are companies out there that let you relocate RV's for a discounted rental rate.
I did an end-of-season RV repositioning a few years back.  It was fun.  I only had to pay for my fuel.

Also,
I met a gal who makes a living, transferring RV's from manufacturers to dealers and such.
She gets paid a fixed amount of money to take an RV say from IN to CA.

I would be very interested in this.
If you could pass along the manufacturer info to me, I would appreciate it. 
Thanks.

Hi, I messaged her. Not sure how connected she is while on the road.
Once I hear back, I'll let you know.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:13:30 PM »
So far I have not heard from her, but from a joint connection I found out that the company she drives for is Horizon Transport
http://horizontransport.co/drive-away/

It appears they now require a CDL, but they'll help you get it.

Also, Bob Wells of Cheap RV living did an interview with her, so you can hear a bit more about her experience

Here's the video for that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpEV2HFSWTk&feature=youtu.be

Now in the video she tells a bit of a different story than she told me when we spoke in person regarding the use of the RV.
She still sleeps there (not in the bed, but on the Sofa) and her "cooking" is mostly salads from the grocery store.
She probably did not want to go on the record about "using" it.

From what it sounds now, if you want the full RV experience, as in cooking operating, hookups etc., this may not fit the bill. But it's still a good way to make a bit of money while experiencing different RVs, even if you don't get to try out all the functions.

I hope that helps.

For the full usage experience, one of the rental relocations at discounted rates may be a better option.

Also, while travelling we on occasion saw some super small RVs (mini van based) from a company called Jucy.
These may be more affordable and more manouverable.
Back in the days when I did tent camping out of a vehicle while road tripping in the US, I wish there had been that option.
They look compact, but comfortable
Here's the link for those
https://www.jucyusa.com/
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:19:44 PM by FrugalZony »

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2017, 09:15:51 PM »
Great video and info.  Thanks.

Hawkingerstakeflight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 07:40:27 AM »
Glad to see there is a thread started about RVing Mustachians. The Hawkingers are about to start a year in our 5th wheel trailer traveling Canada, the United States, and Mexico. We'll hope to connect with and meet Mustachians along the way! We'll check out the other social media connections that are being established as well. Ben and Amy

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
Posting to follow as we have an RV and would also be open to meeting others.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 08:06:48 PM »
A little early for me to be joining but we have the RV and we will retire next spring so definitely within the year will be fully nomadic.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 10:17:57 PM »
Guys, just join! Even if you are not nomadic yet, but are planning to be in the near future.
Also join, if you have a driveway or spot in your backyard, that you may be willing to open to nomadic MMM readers travelling through your city.
I wish I had done this, when I still had my RV gate.

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 09:06:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

We are a long ways from being nomadic in an RV, but we would be interested in meeting travelling mustachians.  If you are heading through Western Canada, it is very likely we are on your route.

I have requested to join the FB group and will provide more info there. :)

Hope to see some of you on your travels!

TTM

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 08:49:01 AM »
Glad to see folks joining in.  I'm on the RV Village site and group.  I don't do Facebook.  Feel free to contact me if you are in Northern Arizona.  I'm currently living in an RV park in Payson, AZ in my Class A.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »
Not sure what everyone here is doing about mobile internet access, but have you all seen this: Family Motor-coach Association Unlimited Verizon Hotspot Plan ?

~$50 / month (plus need annual FMCA membership at ~$60) for unlimited mobile internet (I would pipe VOIP and text messages over that for most part I imagine). Seems like you can go up to 25 GB before they start slowing you down. No contract, no minimum period, and you get to keep the device. Price is guaranteed for 12 months, no idea on if deal will continue after that.

From our point of view, it's tempting, but we are in a fixed location until September for personal reasons (pregnancy) and so have limited need for this at least until September, or later. They list it as "limited quantities", not sure what that means. I'm tempted to get it in advance of September in case they run out, but I also don't like buying things I don't need yet.

Our current "solution" is a mix of Air Voice wireless plans, ranges from $20 - $30 / month for the two of us, but since we aren't working, we are fine with limited connectivity when off grid. This would be a step up in connectivity, but would also have a price increase, and we don't need it yet.. hmmm
Lifestyle inflation, you are quick.. :)

Only other major con, is no word on how well it works in Canada / Mexico, if at all

Bart1ma3u5

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »
I requested membership into the RVillage group. I am unfortunately not mobile yet, but the fiance and I are currently pricing out vans to convert into a camper we can move into to travel the country. Also unfortunately, not able to host anyone travelling through the area as I am quite confident that would violate the HOA in the rental we are currently in. Hope to see everyone on the road sometime next year!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 12:30:15 PM »
Thanks CanuckExpat for linking to this thread. I just joined both the RVillage and FB groups.

We did 6 months in an RV last year (for the winter we wanted to ski so we got a tiny apartment at a ski resort) and we're back on the road now. Our MMM thread is https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/we-bought-our-rv-to-live-in and we blog about it at https://therecklesschoice.com.

We're currently at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado and heading down towards Telluride/Durango CO in the next couple weeks. Anybody around there have a driveway near there we could crash at for a few days?

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 09:39:19 PM »
Not sure what everyone here is doing about mobile internet access, but have you all seen this: Family Motor-coach Association Unlimited Verizon Hotspot Plan ?

Hey CanuckExpat,

We purchased a ZTE Mobley ($99) and got on the connected car unlimited data (deprioritized after 22 gigs) hotspot for $20 a month (no contract and I have no other services with AT&T).  Even after taxes and fees it's about $22 a month.  It's supposed to be for a wifi hotspot in a car and plugs into the obd-II port on your car.  But with a obd-II to usb adapter it's now our home internet and mobile internet.  Download speeds at home have been on average about 18 mbs down and 13 mbs up.  It's been awesome but that's coverage dependent.  But it doesn't work in Canada or Mexico.  Finding one can be tricky.  It has a few flaws but has worked well for us.  Here is a link that talks about it
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1894167-Stand-alone-AT-amp-amp-T-Unlimited-ZTE-Mobley-Hotspot-now-only-20!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:50:12 PM by 2Saving4Life »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »
I also have a Mobley, and have a usb cord I purchased from Amazon.  It works wonderfully everywhere but here in Payson where the towers are overloaded.  All AT&T tower devices have issues, so I don't hold that against the Mobley.  Up by Williams (AZ for those who don't know where I am) at a friend's place it worked very well.  He has expensive satellite internet that is metered so it is nice that I can take my own connection and not use his (and even offer to let him use mine!).

I tried to recommend this to another friend, but the AT&T store wouldn't order it and said that it is being replaced.  I assume (hope) that the Mobley will continue to work along side whatever they change to.  Not sure why they backed off the Mobley, it is awesome.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2017, 12:47:23 AM »
That verizon FMCA plan did seem to be too good and was killed. I had heard about the Mobely in passing, will have to consider it if devices aren't hard to find. Our cell phones are already on AT&T network, so I wouldn't mind diversifying across to Verizon if possible

Bikeguy

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
Signed up for both groups.  Not in a Sprinter yet, but plan to be in the future.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »
We're currently at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in Colorado and heading down towards Telluride/Durango CO in the next couple weeks. Anybody around there have a driveway near there we could crash at for a few days?

I'm probably too late in responding to you, but I am in this area and would love to meet you when you come through.  Unfortunately, I do not have a driveway or a yard that is accessible to offer you.  Just street parking.  I'd be happy to buy you beers/coffee, though!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 10:46:33 AM »

I'm probably too late in responding to you, but I am in this area and would love to meet you when you come through.  Unfortunately, I do not have a driveway or a yard that is accessible to offer you.  Just street parking.  I'd be happy to buy you beers/coffee, though!

We've moved on to Taos now but thanks for the invite! Sorry we missed you. We ended up at the Town Park campground in Telluride, then just paid for a full hookup site in Ouray which was definitely the way to go there. After that we went down to Durango and found some BLM land about 15 min outside town that worked ok. Now we're in Taos but we'll probably be heading to Santa Fe soon and then Flagstaff/Sedona and then Las Vegas/Grand Canyon after that if anyone has any space or wants to meet up.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
I plan to move my motor home to the National Forest in the Flagstaff/Sedona area in September.  I know a few neat places to boondock up there if you are interested to know the details.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
Too bad we missed each other!

Hope you enjoyed the area.  Did you get to take a soak in Ouray's hot springs??

Safe travels!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 04:22:28 PM »

Safe travels!

Yeah got some awesome photos too: http://therecklesschoice.com/2017/07/13/ouray-colorado/

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 04:40:14 PM »

Safe travels!

Yeah got some awesome photos too: http://therecklesschoice.com/2017/07/13/ouray-colorado/

Great photos and writeup!

I have been in and through Ouray dozens of times, but have never done the Perimeter Hike!  Must do that next time!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 10:24:52 PM »
We're dusting off the cobwebs after being stationary for four months (baby and all that) and trying to get the RV ready to move again for two short shake out trips. We are thinking a short loop around Lake Ontario area, and then about a month exploring Michigan, maybe looping around Lake Michigan time permitting (we gave ourselves a month for the second one). Want to ease back into this to see how much we like being in the RV now that we have a second baby on board.

If any one has suggestions for those areas, happy to hear.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 08:00:12 PM »
If/when we get special Internet, I think the Mobley and connected car will be a good choice for us. Thanks for suggestion earlier. It still shows sold out everywhere from AT&T. I think I can buy the device at a bit of markup elsewhere, but not sure if we want/need it that much, since we don't need to work on the road or anything. The longer we put off buying it, the longer we do save $20 a month, and it is nice to have forced no internet time :)
For those of you who did pick it up, did you buy the connected car plan on a contract, in case they cancel the plan?

On an unrelated note, do any of you pay for or have experience with RV roadside assistance? I don't normally pay for car roadside assistance, but wondering if it would be a good idea with the motorhome. Might be more likely to have engine problems at some point if not lucky given the overall weight and age. We don't have a tow vehicle and if we run into trouble in the middle of nowhere maybe worth the piece of mind? Any thoughts, or experiences good or bad? Mainly I think I'd be paying for the piece of mind, so not sure if it's worth it for that.

We'd previously had a credit card that said they offered road side assistance for vehicles up to 10,000 lbs, which technically we'd qualify for dry (I really need to visit a weigh station at some point), not sure what would happen if they actually showed up and found we had a motorhome, we were thinking of reopening that credit card, but not sure we'd ever be able to use that benefit with motorhome...

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
CanuckExpat, I was tempted by the Mobley and could have bought it, but just as you, I shy away from locking myself into monthly expenses, even if it's just 20 bucks.

Here is how I have hacked data accesibility with ATT for free after initial investments (and after downgrading all the free trial stuff etc.) using Freedompop:

Get one
International Hotspot
needs to be GLOBAL one, not the regular one. The Global one only comes with 200 MB data and then you can add 500 by adding friends
So that's 700 MB for FREE every month, once you jump through a few hoops (working on a blog post on this, but happy to answer questions until then.)
That hotspot runs between 20-30$ initial investment depending on what type of sale they run.

They will usually also offer as an add on or seperate deal a Global SIM

Global 3-in-1 SIM Kit

Buy 2 or 3 of those. Sometimes adding an extra one costs only 1 cent, sometimes its 25 cents or 99 cents.

All these will be on the ATT network, sometimes roaming with TMO. They will work internationally (I personally have not tried Canada, but can confirm several European countries).

You need to make sure you add your Freedom friends (easy to do, there's even lists on the Freedompop forums or in various other places) and you downgrade all the free trials they throw at you.

Once you have that you'll have 700 MB for your Hotspot and 700 MB per sim. Once you get to your datalimit, just switch out sim.
Rince repeat. Make sure you don't go over, because their data per MB is not a good deal. But it's not the end of the world  if once you are over by a few MB, they charge incrementally by MB.

I have been enjoying free ATT coverage with this method since December last year. I wish I had gotten a couple more sims and will probably order another two, once we have a mailing address again this winter.

Also, if you can, order those on SEPARATE email addresses. Then you technically have separate accounts and can become your own FREEDOM friend and send yourself data back and forth (up to 100 MB per billing cycle).

Of course if you stream a lot etc, then 2-3x 700 MB is not much. But I don't stream, I skype with my folks (without video) and do a bit of forum reading.

My Sprint Hotspot only works in bigger cities, so I don't use it all that much. But when I bought it, I did not know that the International one is with another carrier. The Sprint has 500 MB plus 500 MB after the friend bonus, so I went with more data. Know better now.

In summary: If you are willing to jump through a few hoops and are reasonably organised you can get ATT for free after initial purchase.
I'd be happy to answer questions and help you with further resources to get the friends. It's all a lot easier than it sounds, trust me.

PS. the links are my referral links, if you choose to use them, thanks, but you certainly don't have to.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 09:34:44 PM by FrugalZony »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2017, 08:00:06 PM »
I have the Mobley unit.  I bought it outright rather than take the contract.  I probably should have gone contract.  A price increase would be a valid reason to cancel the contract without penalty.  I use it when I'm not in the town I currently live in as the AT&T towers are too congested here to get good signal reliably.  I have 3 (or 4?) FreedomPop hotspots.  I never use them and send as much data as I can to friends who do use them, so if you do get one let me know.  I have a Verizon 3G hotspot for  $15/mo unlimited that I got from eBay.  Kind of on the shady side of things, but it works here so I use it for the most part.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
For the global Freedomspot, you mean the "Novatel Wireless MiFi"? The one you linked to was CDMA network, so assuming you meant other one.

That's a good idea. I had used FreedomPop some time ago, so I am familiar with them (and make sure you don't get nickel and dimed). I didn't realize they had GSM network options now. That might work well for us, realistically it might even replace some of our cell phone needs.

Wish I had realized this when we had a regular mailing address instead of about to move in a week :)

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
Regarding WiFi, After struggling with minimal internet for 4 months, I went with a very un-mustachian 1TB UDP for $170/mo. We just finished 3 weeks at a no service campground. However we take our MiFi with us wherever we go so our own cell plans are on the lowest data to help offset this. We had to drive into cell range each day to get our computing done. My future side gig that I am working on requires WiFi so I will use the service for 12 months and will revisit options then.

I do have the options of turning it off as needed one month at a time - however, that would only happen if I was going to be truly off the grid for an extended period of time, if I can drive to a cell area, we still use the service.

Oh and of our 1TB limits we seem to use about 200gig/month. We game, stream videos, make and load up videos (my side gig Im working on), surf and do email.

Our happiness level was quite low with 30gig data, and skyrocketed with the data shackles removed. It was eye opening to see how dependent DH and I are on data. Thank goodness we are so frugal in other areas so we can splurge on this one thing.

The site I used to get the service (they sent me a sim and I pay month to month, there was no credit check) is: http://verizondata.weebly.com/. I've owned a 7730l for a little over a year and it works great!

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
Internet: http://therecklesschoice.com/2017/07/29/how-we-get-internet-as-digital-nomads/ We did an Assumption of Liability on a grandfathered unlimited plan and now pay $50/month for truly Unlimited never throttled, never de-prioritized data on Verizon. They haven't offered these plans in over 5 years so you need to find someone with one and convince them to let you take it over but there are people selling theirs on Ebay for $700-$1500 up front. Cost us a lot of money up front but it has been worth every penny. We also have the Mobley for when we aren't in Verizon range and then google Fi phones to get access to T-Mobile and Sprint towers in an emergency. That plus a booster and it takes a lot for us to not have some service.

Roadside Assistance: We use Good Sam's roadside assistance program and they have been a great financial decision but... expect to do all the work for them finding a towing company and a shop to bring it to. We had 2 breakdowns that each required a tow and if we had had to pay out of pocket, they would have cost $1600 and $1000 to get us 80 and 40 miles to the nearest place that would work on it. Fortunately Good Sam paid 100% without question. The problem is that when we called they did a lot of "ummmm, we can't find anyone who will work on it and is open, maybe we try looking again in a few days after the weekend?" crap. So now whenever I need Good Sam's help now, I find my own tow company and my own shop, then call up good sam and say, "unless you have someone better right now, call these people and have them bring me here." I'm sure I wouldn't need to resort to that if I was on the east coast but I was in the middle of nowhere in Canada http://therecklesschoice.com/2016/08/29/breakdown-on-the-icefields-parkway-canada/ and then on the Olympic Peninsula and they have trouble in rural areas. That said, rural areas generally have the best shops for older RV's in my experience. In Denver, I could only find one shop that would work on our '89 Class C. Everywhere else said it was either too old, too large, or too small. Rural shops don't care, they just do the work that comes their way.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
We bought the Mobley outright and didn't get a contract.  When I was looking to purchase ATT was sold out and I found the Mobley at ABC Warehouse.  Hopefully ATT will keep us at $20 per month but who knows. 

Our Roadside Assistance came included with the insurance we have with the Hartford.  Which is nice because they would need to send out the giant semi tow truck for us.  That would be a huge bill.  It says it covers everywhere in the US and Canada.  We haven't had any breakdowns so we haven't used it yet. We had our car and home insurance with the Hartford already so adding the RV with full coverage was only an additional $286 per year.  The car with only liability is more than twice that amount and no roadside assistance.  So when I saw the RV price I was pleasantly surprised. 

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »
For the global Freedomspot, you mean the "Novatel Wireless MiFi"? The one you linked to was CDMA network, so assuming you meant other one.
That's odd, ours is a Novatel Wireless and works on GSM. They must have changed the links on me. I copied and pasted the info from a draft I have for the post. Now when I look at their website, I see they still offer GSM compatible SIMS but no more GSM Hotspot.
I am sorry, there must have been a change. I just looked at the afflinks they offer through the portal and those have not changed and still say, what they say below. REALLY ODD.
In any case, you can always pick up a cheap mifi somewhere and use the GSM SIMS they do offer.
Don't fret if you missed the boat on the address, they'll likely have a better deal on Black Friday. They are 9.99 now. I got three SIMS, back then, the first for 99 cent the others for 25 and 1 cent respectively and stupid me, canceled the third one, as I thought we won't use it anyways and that's one less thing to track. Then later I realised I could switch them around in the mifi and regretted not keeping it.

nawhite, I had looked into those Verizon plans when we first started out, but the high upfront cost and the risk of something going wrong in the transfer has certainly been a deterrent.
If I recall correctly, you still rely on this for work, so that's a different story and certainly warrants the investment.

Like Zine, I'd be happier if I had unlimited data use, but I am also not happy with the pricing.
For the time being, we'll try to make do, we may have to upgrade and revisit next year, because despite our low usage, I sometimes wish i had more data, to eliminate the constant keeping track of usage.

Regarding roadside assistance we use Goodsam Roadside Assistance

It expired the day, we got stuck with the RV, LOL! And we had not renewed yet. We figured we'd likely get stuck in NF land and they won't pull us out of there anyways. So we'll take a risk for the last few weeks and won't renew again until December (we'll be stationary in Phoenix Oct-Dec). I hope, I am not jinxing myself by writing this.
Nawhite, do you have a blog post on your roadside assistance usage situations?

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »
nawhite, I had looked into those Verizon plans when we first started out, but the high upfront cost and the risk of something going wrong in the transfer has certainly been a deterrent.
If I recall correctly, you still rely on this for work, so that's a different story and certainly warrants the investment.

Like Zine, I'd be happier if I had unlimited data use, but I am also not happy with the pricing.
For the time being, we'll try to make do, we may have to upgrade and revisit next year, because despite our low usage, I sometimes wish i had more data, to eliminate the constant keeping track of usage.

Nawhite, do you have a blog post on your roadside assistance usage situations?

You're absolutely right that the grandfathered plans are expensive but so worth it to us. I don't like to tell too many details about how we got ours in case we broke the terms of service on the plan, but 2 months of looking for the right plan on ebay yielded one for $700 and a few others for $1000. A 200GB/month plan would cost way more than the $50/month we pay for this so we just amortize the up-front cost over the 2 years we've had the plan so far and it still works out to a great deal. To make sure the transfer went ok, we invested in the https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ membership to get access to this guide: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/resources/navigating-verizon-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans/ That page alone is worth the membership fee but we also used the membership to get an early heads up on the mobley and discounts on our booster among other things.

For the roadside assistance, here is the play by play from our first breakdown: http://therecklesschoice.com/2016/08/29/breakdown-on-the-icefields-parkway-canada/

Stingray

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »
Hey, Frugalzony! I just found this page and will join the groups too. I think it’s a wonderful idea.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
We're exploring the "west coast" of Michigan (eastern shore of Lake Michigan)
It is gorgeous, keeps alternating between beautiful weather and slightly chilly. Have most places too our selves

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »
Friends.spent some time camping up there and said it was beautiful.  It is on The List.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »
Lots of good spots. Definitely recommend Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Some pictures here

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »
Linking this here if anyone is interested: Moab, Utah, USA in October 2018

Though it's hard enough for me to sometimes plan where I am next month, let alone next year