Author Topic: New Zealand Mustachians  (Read 55214 times)

sshontour

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New Zealand Mustachians
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2016, 12:50:09 AM »
Hi everyone,

First post ever here!

I've been a MMM follower for a couple of years now.  I live near Napier, which is a small part of our nice small country.

I'm a late convert, pushing 40 and used to live a life of excess and waste, but better late than never to the cause...still looking forward to FI earlier than most, hopefully and I'm enjoying the thought of consuming less and being happier with what I have.

I'd be keen to hear what people think of our options in NZ, with index funds, smartshares/superlife etc and just a good chat.

I've applied to the FB group (is it still active?), real name Sarah.

MeneerEnMevrouw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • MeneerEnMevrouw.com
« Reply #101 on: March 09, 2016, 06:11:57 AM »
We're planning a 6 week holiday to NZ next year. Somebody happy to help us with some Mustachian travel tips for NZ? Don't want to steal your topic, so pm is appreciated ;)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2016, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm considering doing a working holiday in NZ next year.  I've been to New Zealand before, but only for about 3 weeks on a tour. Torn between Wellington and Queenstown.

If I forego the hostel route, does anyone have any tips for apartment rentals, finding roommates, etc?

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2016, 12:16:29 PM »
tj:  I'm currently in NZ on working holiday.  Feel free to PM me with questions.  Check out TradeMe under flatmates wanted- it's like eBay and Craigslist rolled into one.

gswift

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2016, 08:42:29 PM »
hello everyone

i am also in christchurch and new to this forum.

have applied to fb group.

looking forward to learning more through this forum:)

glen

Ross

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2016, 04:09:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Ross, based in Wellington.  I'd be keen for a meet up at some stage.

I've just been reading up on SmartShares http://smartshares.co.nz/, they are an NZX member and have a few funds that are in Vanguard.

Incidentally, who do NZ people use for share trading?  Marcustachian mentioned ASB Securities, any others?  Any standouts?

Ross

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2016, 07:05:29 PM »
Hi Ross

Welcome to the forums. The main two trading platforms are anzsecurities.co.nz & asb.co.nz.  Both charge about the same approx $30 per trade.   I use anz securities and the service is fine. Direct trading works well if you are going to invest in reasonable large amounts and if you want to keep more control & and are prepared to do your own paperwork/tax. 

Also check out superlife.co.nz. They offer a lot of index funds at a reasonably low cost (by NZ standards) and are the provider who Mary Holm uses (check her out maryholm.co.nz if you haven't read her before).  They do non Kiwifund versions of their funds and its easy to invest in small regular amounts.

Smartshares are a good option especially now they have some vanguard funds. The MER is higher but again you can invest regularly through them and avoid paying brokerage. They will also take care of the tax side of things for you which makes life easier.

Gabrielle80

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:30 PM »
Just found MMM a month or so ago and felt like I found my spiritual home. Demolished all the blog posts (obsessively sending them to by husband to read too) and started on the forums and - yay - found this group of fellow kiwis.

I'm Gabby, 36, live in Auckland with my husband and small daughter. We own a couple of properties up here and have benefited (on paper anyway) from the ridiculous property boom in Auckland. We're about to move to Wellington so we're tossing up - do we sell both and be mortgage free in Wellington, then start some serious investing and saving in order to become financially Independant ASAP, or do we keep one/both and have a mortgage on our Wellington home.

Our only saving as been through aggressive principle payments on our mortgage, an employee super scheme, and kiwi saver,  so we're thinking about other investing options once our mortgage is paid off. We're pretty frugal (not quite as much as we want to be as we have an unfortunate travel addiction) but we believe passionately in lessening our impact on the environment and we're trying to not embrace the consumerist culture we see so many of our friends taking up, even if we both do enjoy the good things in life.

I'm super excited to see a bunch of kiwis here. I've joined the FB group - hope it's still active?

stc8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2016, 03:22:55 PM »
Welcome Gabby! The facebook page is quite active, so you will see some good discussions there if you go back through the posts.

Sounds like you're in a really good place re housing equity, and the chance to be mortgage free asap!

One thing I would consider is diversification away from the risky Auckland market. Auckland is booming at the moment, but it looks awefully bubbly, which means that there is a reasonable chance prices will drop sharply in the next 2-5 years. Although no one can predict the future (maybe prices will double again in Auckland before prices fall?!), I would be thinking about selling at least one of the Auckland properties and using the money for a mortgage free Wellington property and/or diversifying my risk by buying share and bond index funds (through a low-cost, passive investment company such as SuperLife).

If you haven't come across Mary Holm's weekly NZ Herald column, give that a read - she has a general audience, but talks a lot about sensible investing and budgeting in NZ.

darknight

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: September 15, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
Greetings!
It's awesome to see so many people part of the forums located in NZ.
I lived there for roughly 18 months on a study abroad exchange program back in 2008 and have been itching to get back. I'm from the U.S., and I'm planning to spend some time in January on the North Island. I'm looking to spend roughly 2 weeks there and would love any ideas for not breaking the bank for a place to stay/rental car. It would be my wife and I, a 7mo. old and 3 year old. I know most people don't travel with young kids, but most people don't live a mustachian lifestyle. We're a different breed. I'm looking into hostel/VRBO etc, even a 1 bedroom is fine, we are fairly adaptable and don't expect much! If any of you could keep an eye out for me it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2016, 01:37:51 PM »
Omega rental cars, good service, good price, free car seats for kids/baby, and they'll pick you up from the airport. Insurance is free but has a high excess, if you have travel insurance you may be covered for the rental car excess already.

Looks like you'll be travelling in peak holiday time, but try airbnb, or book a batch, or NZ holiday homes. Coopers Beach, and Matapouri are my favourite place to go with little kids. Many private camp sites have cabins, the Top 10 holiday parks are well worth a look, we absolutely loved our stay at the one in Taupo (clean/tidy with free bbqs, swimming pool, playground).

ibatatas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 10:12:54 PM »
Hi folks,

Anyone up for a mustachian meet up in Auckland this month (November) some weekday evening?
If so, here is a poll to pick a datetime: https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/Auckland_Mustache_Meet_Up/ .
Venue to be determined, but i'm thinking someplace central.

darknight

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2016, 04:20:54 PM »
Thanks, I'll check out Omega for sure!!
It looks like the kids are staying with my parents, it's just going to be the wife and I in Auckland. I wish I could come in the fall season, but I've got a teaching contract that starts in Feb (overseas).

The Blunderbuss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2016, 01:24:05 AM »
Hi all

I've been reading my way through the blog posts over the last couple of months, I finally managed to catch up (partly due to spending too much of the Christmas break sitting on the couch reading it, which I realise doesn't really align with the basic message of the blog!).

I'm in Auckland, and really interested to hear how other Kiwi's are living the mustarian lifestyle.

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2017, 02:43:42 AM »

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »
Hi folks. I'm from the states but expect to be visiting the Auckland area near the end of March. Are there any meetups planned around then? It would be nice to meet some people while I'm out.

On a related note: I hear that Auckland has been investing in new bike lanes. Are there any good/cheap bike hire places anyone can recommend?

appleblossom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
Hi folks. I'm from the states but expect to be visiting the Auckland area near the end of March. Are there any meetups planned around then? It would be nice to meet some people while I'm out.

On a related note: I hear that Auckland has been investing in new bike lanes. Are there any good/cheap bike hire places anyone can recommend?

There is a Kiwi Mustachians facebook group which has quite a few Aucklanders, and there are occasional meetups arranged there. I'm not from Auckland so I can't help sorry.

FiveSigmas

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2017, 10:42:02 PM »
Thanks AB! I'm not on Facebook, but if any northern kiwis hear rumors of a meetup during late March/early April I'd love a heads up.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2017, 05:25:02 PM »
We're going to be in Christchurch next week, and Auckland about two weeks after that, if anyone is able to meet up.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2017, 12:42:42 AM »
Christchurch meet up is on.

Saturday 25th February, 2:00 pm.

Pot luck afternoon tea.

If it's raining I'll grab a table for us at The Villas Coffee House (290 Montreal Street).

See you there.

David.

Joexrunner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2017, 12:00:00 AM »
Hi All.  I'm in Lower North Island and new to this site after listening to MMM on Tim Ferris podcast.  Immediately resonates with me.  I made a move for lifestyle some years ago for personal reasons.  Whilst I now have twice as much income I used to be able to live on a lot less so my goal for 2017 is to save 50% of my income.  Going pretty well so far.  I totally get the commute issue and have been lucky enough to have a job I could do from anywhere.  Sometimes you make the move and good things follow...Anyway I would be keen to meet up with like minded kiwis.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2017, 02:45:26 PM »
Meet at the red and white dot. See you all today.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
Weather looks good--upper 70s (or..whatever. 20 something?), no rain.

See you in a bit!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

zorwarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2017, 08:31:31 PM »
Hi fellow Mustached Kiwis,
   Great to see some local support on this forum. I came to NZ in my almost 30 years ago and remember observing that finance planning was a 'four letter' generally in Kiwi society. I still see it today in my dealings with people earning from the average wage right up to $400k +

I think as a society we have definitely started on the road understanding the importance of financial planning, especially since Kiwisaver started but we have a long long way to go. Consumerism and debt-driven spending is still rife.

So its great to see a some Kiwis here. Is there much recent activity on this? I see mainly older posts.

the lorax

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Welcome,  there's a bit more  activity on the kiwi mustachIan Facebook group

zorwarrior

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2017, 09:24:12 PM »
Ok thanks. I will jump on the facebook page

ibatatas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
Hi folks,

A fan of open-source tools and not one of Facebook, i've started a Loomio group** dedicated to Mustaching in Auckland. 
I invite all Aucklanders here to check it out and join at https://www.loomio.org/g/wp2i7rR0/mustaching-in-auckland
We can use the group to discuss topics and organize meetups in the city.

** = Loomio is made in Wellington
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:24:49 PM by ibatatas »

andrewenz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2017, 02:19:50 AM »
A group of from the Kiwi Mustachians Facebook group have created a communal forum to share kiwi mustachian tips. It may be of interest:  www.firekiwi.co.nz

FrugalityAndFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugality and Freedom
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2019, 03:20:34 AM »
Auckland meetup of Mustachians and FIRE fans.

10 Nov 2019, 2pm, venue TBC.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1197591217109000/

I'm hosting! Look for the moustache sign.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »
New Zealand Mustachians - hello!  My girlfriend and I are planning to take our second trip to your beautiful country.  We were only able to spend 2 weeks there back in March 2017 because we had to return to work, but now that we're FIREd we want to take a more relaxed visit to see some things that we missed the first time around. 
Is there a forum where we could get some tips?  I don't want to hijack this thread, so I could open a new one in the "Ask A Mustachain" forum but if there's a better place to post please let me know.   I tried the http://www.firekiwi.co.nz link that @andrewenz posted but it looks like it's down.  We hope to spend a minimum of one month there, but if things work out well we might be coming down for up to 6 months.  I am aware of the Visa requirements, but would like to chat with some people who know the area better than we do as we plan our visit. 

Thanks!

kiwigirls

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
Happy to give you travel tips either in this forum or in Ask a Mustachian.  Probably best to start a new thread if its likely to have a few posts.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »

FrugalityAndFreedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugality and Freedom
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2019, 02:13:50 AM »
Planning a Wellington meetup for 23 or 28 Oct 2019.

Keep your eyes peeled on the Kiwi Mustachians Facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1574186292811363/

JMS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
Hi all, glad to see there is a bit of a MMM NZ community. 

I'm looking for an online budgeting tool - hopefully one that can have direct banking feeds from NZ based (AU owned banks).   Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

bayareasaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Saving while single
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2019, 02:08:38 AM »
Kia ora, just wanted to put my name out there to say I'd be interested in the next Wellington meetup. I'm not on Facebook so hopefully someone will post the date here. Also I've just become a resident so I'm now eligible for kiwisaver... is there any reason I shouldn't do it? What funds do people put into?
I believe my employer matches 3%, is that correct (I believe that's the government mandated amount)?
Thanks!

Goanywhere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2019, 01:03:38 PM »
Kia ora, just wanted to put my name out there to say I'd be interested in the next Wellington meetup. I'm not on Facebook so hopefully someone will post the date here. Also I've just become a resident so I'm now eligible for kiwisaver... is there any reason I shouldn't do it? What funds do people put into?
I believe my employer matches 3%, is that correct (I believe that's the government mandated amount)?
Thanks!

No reason not to jump on KS.  You are correct, your employer has to match your 3% contribution and as long is you contribute circa $1k per annum the govt provides a member tax credit of $500. 

The lowest cost KS is Simplicity

bayareasaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Saving while single
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »
Thank you so much @Goanywhere, this is super helpful! I'll be sure to notify HR now so I can get on after the holiday break!

Goanywhere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »
Thank you so much @Goanywhere, this is super helpful! I'll be sure to notify HR now so I can get on after the holiday break!

The only downside about KS is only being able to access your money when you turn 65 (except in exceptional other circumstances such has buying a first home / financial hardship etc.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!