Author Topic: New MMM group in the LA/OC!  (Read 3311 times)

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
New MMM group in the LA/OC!
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »
Hello fellow mustachians in SoCal! I am taking it upon myself to see if there is enough interest to start a new meetup group in the LA South Bay. I am willing to expand the reach to OC depending on interest expressed, but since I live in the South Bay, I figure I'll start there first.

Looking to schedule monthly or bi-monthly gatherings held on weekends during the daytime in coastal areas. We can eventually add hiking groups and such to the mix, but I think it would be good to start with a few more basic meetups  for people to get to know each other first.

If genuinely interested in participating, please respond with preferred day of week (Sat or Sun), and your location. This will help narrow down dates and locations.

Thanks!

Demasoni

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: New MMM group in the LA/OC!
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:02 PM »
I’d be interested on Sundays.

scottyah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:28:28 PM »
Sunday afternoons would work best for me, I typically play volleyball from 10:30-1pm in South Hermosa Beach when I'm in town. I'm excited to see a local MMM group form here... I'd love to convert more local Los Angelians to our cultish but badass ways!

GnomeErcy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
Formerly lived in South Redondo, would join up if I'm ever back in the area haha. Good luck getting a group going!

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
Sorry for the delay everyone. I got temporarily locked out of the forum due to a glitch, but I'm back now!

I am so happy to see some interest in this group! I think for now, utilizing this thread will help keep communication between all interested parties more seamless. If interested in receiving details regarding future meet ups, please PM me your email address. I will likely use Evite or a similar platform to share event details not posted publicly in this forum.

Sharing your city and preferred meet up days will help us figure out when and where we can easily meet as a group, as we live all over. If you would like to initiate any specific plans or would like to host, please feel free to share!

I live in Manhattan Beach, prefer weekends after 12pm (also due to volleyball), but can possibly manage morning/evening meet ups throughout the LA South Bay during the week as well.

Let's do this! :)

The Sloth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 03:10:43 PM »
Hey guys.  I'm up for a South Bay Meetup.  I've actually met up with Scotty before and we got along well.  Would be fun to meet more members! I live in Manhattan Beach.

Whiskey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:01 PM »
Hi guys. I'm so excited about our future meetups. We are in Manhattan Beach and would prefer weekends after 12pm. But we are pretty flexible so weekdays work for us as well.
Looking forward to do this:) and thanks for organizing Happy in Paradise!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:59:05 PM by Whiskey »

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
Would anyone be interested in meeting up on Sunday, Dec. 10th? That is the same day as the Manhattan Beach Holiday Fireworks, and I thought it might be a fun way to kick off our new group! I am also open that afternoon in case the evening doesn't work. Here is a link to the event if you are not familiar:

http://www.citymb.info/Home/Components/Calendar/Event/56985/1192?curm=12&cury=2017

SirSavesaLot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:05:12 PM »
That Sunday is iffy for me.  Have a lot to do for the next day, unfortunately.  Will be glad to come by if I can

Whiskey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »
We can't do this Sunday either:(

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:16 PM »
There just weren't enough people available for Sunday, so we'll scrap that idea for now. I do have good news though!

I have been doing a lot of research, and have found a few active FI groups in our local area! I will copy the links and post them here very soon!

These groups actively meet and have great discussions, and it may be easier to just piggyback off of them initially for meet ups. :)

Neuroman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »
Oh hi, whenever you have a meetup please let me know. I'm in Torrance.

Thanks,
N

snakpak42

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 04:51:55 PM »
I'm down for Sundays!

Happy in Paradise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 04:31:03 PM »
Hi everyone! I was hoping to start a local LA meetup group, but it seems I would be reinventing the wheel a bit. There are similar Facebook groups in existence already, and they are quite active actually!

ChooseFI LA is a LA based meet up group that holds events in South Bay and LA proper. Both groups are part of the same FB page, and typically organize events 2x/month at a brewery or plan hiking or other activities. Great turnouts to both so far!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/153794482034451

If you are into Minimalism, you can check out a related meet up in LA:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1470879209817420

Though not a local group per se, I highly recommend checking out Choose FI! Tons of fantastic posts and responses in the main FB group. There is a podcast you can look into as well. Choose FI LA is a local group spun off of this one.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1682706472025241

Another group that may be of interest to single Mustachians (though not LA based) is the  Singles in Pursuit of Financial Independence FB page:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1931802647042070

There is also an OC based MMM group that you can look into. They did not seem very active to me, so I never really followed them. It's something I suppose...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/893404604118484

I will no longer be trying to organize a group on the forums here, so please look into the above resources or feel free to try and get your own group started if you would still like to pursue it. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!