Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98052 times)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018
« Reply #450 on: October 16, 2018, 08:41:50 PM »
I'm heading that way Thursday.  I'm staying at the hostel, but I'll check the campground once I'm there to find everyone.  Do they let non-registered folks in to visit?

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #451 on: October 16, 2018, 08:59:27 PM »
My husband and I are traveling for a year in our sprinter van and happen to be heading to Moab tomorrow. I was browsing through the forum and saw this meet up. Can we stop by and meet some of you fellow mustachians tomorrow night or Thursday? Are there organized events for the meet up?

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #452 on: October 16, 2018, 11:10:57 PM »
We sure do miss @2Saving4Life on our hikes and rides. Wishing you were still here, and not just for the geology lessons.

Have you made it back home yet and been able to see your family?

Thanks so much for the comment @Daisy,  that makes us happy.  We enjoyed your company as well.  Did you ever go back to Courthouse wash?  I forgot, we did stop at the visitors center after our hike that day and they said to stay on the East side of the river for the trail.  Seemed like it was on both sides to me. 

We just made it back earlier today, just under 1000 miles in two days.  Thanks for checking up on us Daisy, that was very kind of you.  Have a great time!  We'll hopefully see you at the next one. 

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: October 17, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
@WorkingToUnwind Please do! I won't be arriving until Thursday b/c of camper repairs that delayed me. But the more the merrier!
Plus, I always love checking out sprinter vans ;-)

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #454 on: October 17, 2018, 09:20:16 AM »
@WorkingToUnwind Please do! I won't be arriving until Thursday b/c of camper repairs that delayed me. But the more the merrier!

Thanks Dr. Kidstache! Our sprinter is of the DIY-build variety. It's fun. We've been mountain biking and hiking our way across the country for the past 6 months. It will be great to meet some mustachians! We've always practiced our weird frugal ways in isolation.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #455 on: October 17, 2018, 10:09:10 AM »

Thanks Dr. Kidstache! Our sprinter is of the DIY-build variety. It's fun. We've been mountain biking and hiking our way across the country for the past 6 months. It will be great to meet some mustachians! We've always practiced our weird frugal ways in isolation.

Sure! We look forward to seeing you at camp. When will you be arriving?

Visitors do seem to be allowed. Parking may be an issue but you can park across the street at the brewery if need be.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: October 17, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
We are heading on a hike now but should be back at camp later in the afternoon.

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #457 on: October 17, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »

Visitors do seem to be allowed. Parking may be an issue but you can park across the street at the brewery if need be.

We're doing our chores in SLC (P Fit and laundry) and then it's a four hour drive. We'll probably be in Moab around 7pm or so if all goes according to plan. We can pop in and say hello and then we'll be figuring out our camping situation. We've boondocked on BLM land in Moab in the past, so we might do that or see if someone wants to split a site. We shall see!

Mayan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #458 on: October 17, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »
 I haven’t been active in the forums for a long time, but I’m moving to sLC this week and was going to be camping in Moab on the 19th anyway!  I’d love to go hang out for the evening.  Is there any site in particular I should check to catch the group?  I’ll probably just camp on bLm land, but would be open to splitting a site if anyone is looking to share.  It’s just me and a border collie with a small backpacking tent.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: October 17, 2018, 05:43:31 PM »

We're doing our chores in SLC (P Fit and laundry) and then it's a four hour drive. We'll probably be in Moab around 7pm or so if all goes according to plan. We can pop in and say hello and then we'll be figuring out our camping situation. We've boondocked on BLM land in Moab in the past, so we might do that or see if someone wants to split a site. We shall see!

We are going to the Moab Brewery at 6 p.m.

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #460 on: October 17, 2018, 06:03:25 PM »

Cool, we'll be there around 7. How will we recognize you all? We're tall! Lol. My hubs will be wearing a Colorado baseball cap and I've got a green shirt on.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: October 17, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »

Cool, we'll be there around 7. How will we recognize you all? We're tall! Lol. My hubs will be wearing a Colorado baseball cap and I've got a green shirt on.

We are just ordering now at 6:20.

Walk in and turn right. We're at the front right corner of the restaurant. We are the three most attractive people in the restaurant.

We have a redhead and a guy with a beret.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #462 on: October 18, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »
I'm hitting the road this morning and should be getting in around 4 or 5 pm!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: October 18, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
Great!  Safe travels!

5Years2Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #464 on: October 18, 2018, 09:48:42 AM »
Howdy,
I've been reading Mr. Money Mustache for a couple months now as well as perusing the forums... but this is my first post. You could call me Señor Stubble Cents... or something. Anyway, as a newbie to the community... and as one about to launch on the path to FI,* I wanted to check in to see if it'd still be appropriate for me to try to meet up with y'all in Moab. I'm currently in SW Colorado, but need to make a trip that way anyway and would love to meet others on the journey and maybe (hopefully?) talk a little shop.

* A combination of good luck and good sense earlier in life means I'm able to jump on the path well beyond the trailhead. :-)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: October 18, 2018, 10:05:24 AM »
Of course—c’mon over and join us!!  And it would be great if you could bring some sunshine!  😊😎👍

5Years2Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #466 on: October 18, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »
Of course—c’mon over and join us!!  And it would be great if you could bring some sunshine!  😊😎👍

Awesome, are there any times/places where folks should be hanging out late this afternoon or evening as well as tomorrow?

As for sunshine, I'll see what I can do! :-)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #467 on: October 18, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »

Awesome, are there any times/places where folks should be hanging out late this afternoon or evening as well as tomorrow?

As for sunshine, I'll see what I can do! :-)

I think it’s a safe bet that after 6pm, at least a few of us will be at the Canyonlands RV campground—right in town.  Daisy and I will be sharing site G14.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #468 on: October 18, 2018, 01:52:09 PM »
We're on our way! Should be there around 330. Looking forward to seeing y'all at the campground.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #469 on: October 18, 2018, 01:55:45 PM »
Yay--safe travels!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #470 on: October 18, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
We’ve checked in, we’re the Minnie Winnie with two kids and two dogs. We’ve been hanging out a few days out at the State Park, Horse Thief Campground, and one night in Canyonlands NP. We’re at the Meetup campground now, our main plans for the weekend are to hang out, be social, and probably wrangling small mammals. We’re also planning on being in the area for at least another week after the Meetup. Anyone else sticking around after Meetup?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: October 18, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »
Cool—I am just down the street.  Will be back at the campground in 20 minutes or so.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: October 18, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »
I'm attempting to check in at the hostel.  They overbooked.  neveri that I paid a couple of weeks ago?  No, I don't want to share with a couple of guys which I would if it was my mistake.  I may be bumming space to sleep in my car somewhere...  I'll be over to the campground as soon as this is sorted.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #473 on: October 18, 2018, 05:52:11 PM »
We were just talking about your sprinter van, if you want to show up for a drink :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: October 19, 2018, 07:29:13 AM »
I'm awake at the hostel.  Maybe a half hour to an hour, depending on breakfast options here, I'll be over to the campground to see what's going on.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #475 on: October 19, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »
It was fun meeting some of you and exploring the beautiful sandstone formations in good company. Have fun during the rest of the meetup, everyone.  Stay adventurous in FIRE and take a moment to thank nature for its generosity.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #476 on: October 19, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
Anyone around this afternoon?

Mayan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #477 on: October 19, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
Just got into Moab and may go for a short hike with the dog.  I’ll swing by the campground later this evenin to see who’s around, but if there’s any kind of group dinner or hike going on I’d love to join in!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #478 on: October 19, 2018, 04:32:18 PM »
@Mayan and @kudy  Some of us just got back to the campground. I hop y'all stop by!

Mayan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #479 on: October 19, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Awesome, I’m heading that way now, though traffic is awful

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #480 on: October 19, 2018, 07:17:47 PM »
Hey all! We ended up doing a double header day of MTN biking and rock climbing. We're on potash road now and were planning to head over to the campground, but the traffic is awful going into town. We're going to make dinner here instead and see what happens with traffic. What are you all up to tomorrow? Maybe something a bit off the beaten path to avoid the crowds?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #481 on: October 19, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »
How far down Potash road did you camp? There is some nice hiking that leaves off from the road right?

BTW, if anyone wondering, I tested today: the pool is heated enough to go in, but it’s not fun when you have to come out. And it tends to be full of kids

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2018, 10:01:50 PM »
Also, we are thinking of doing the Hidden Valley Trail tomorrow mid-morning. Looks like the trailhead is a 4 mile bike ride south of town. Trail itself is 6 miles in and out. Let us know if you’d like to join us.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #483 on: October 19, 2018, 10:06:23 PM »
Also, we are thinking of doing the Hidden Valley Trail tomorrow mid-morning. Looks like the trailhead is a 4 mile bike ride south of town. Trail itself is 6 miles in and out. Let us know if you’d like to join us.

Ooooohhh--I might be interested.  Bryan recommended that trail to us this evening.  He said there is cool rock art in addition to the great hike.

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #484 on: October 19, 2018, 10:50:32 PM »
How far down Potash road did you camp? There is some nice hiking that leaves off from the road right?

BTW, if anyone wondering, I tested today: the pool is heated enough to go in, but it’s not fun when you have to come out. And it tends to be full of kids

We ended up driving into town around 9pm after dinner and after the traffic died down. We're stealth camping on o e of the residential streets. I'm not sure about hiking off potash road but there's a lot of rock climbing, called Wall Street.

Definitely post when you know what time you'll be doing the hike tomorrow. That looks like a nice one!

5Years2Freedom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #485 on: October 20, 2018, 07:30:59 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for being so inviting and hospitable to a newbie dipping his toes into the Mustachian world. It was an inspiration to meet others who are or who have traveled down the FI path I hope to travel, as well. I hope to see more of you on the forums and in person in the future.

And, NinetyFour, congrats on your FI!!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: October 20, 2018, 08:42:27 AM »
After wrenching my back last evening and having an uncomfortable night I'm heading home.  I can't do much for the next couple of days until my back heals and I'm one who prefers to hibernate when I'm not well.  I had fun and am up for any more gatherings in the Southwest.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #487 on: October 20, 2018, 09:12:18 AM »
Hope your back feels better soon!  Thanks for driving up and visiting with us.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #488 on: October 20, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »
We are just having breakfast. Will start to get ready to leave when we finish up (and start wrangling small mammals). It’ll take us 30 mins or so to bike ride down so we will post when we are about to hit the road. Anyone is welcome to come along on the bike ride as well, otherwose meet you at the trailhead. I’m guessing we will leave camp around 10:30am.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: October 20, 2018, 09:24:19 AM »
Thought I would post some pictures from our Moab adventures so far...

These are from the Portal Overlook hike that @Daisy and I did a few days ago:

These are from a couple of hikes that @Daisy and @Financial Ascensionist and I did in Arches NP:

This is from yesterday's hike to Bowtie Arch and Corona Arch.  I was accompanied by @Daisy , @aperture , arerture's DW, and @Dr Kidstache .  So fun.  This picture shows Daisy (red shirt) standing below Bowtie Arch.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #490 on: October 20, 2018, 09:26:48 AM »
We are just having breakfast. Will start to get ready to leave when we finish up (and start wrangling small mammals). It’ll take us 30 mins or so to bike ride down so we will post when we are about to hit the road. Anyone is welcome to come along on the bike ride as well, otherwose meet you at the trailhead. I’m guessing we will leave camp around 10:30am.

I am wavering....this might just be a quiet day for me at the campground, with a stroll to the library.  Not sure yet.  I will check in with you, CanuckExpat, and let you know one way or the other.  :)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #491 on: October 20, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
Heading out shortly. Be at trailhead in 30, bike willing

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #492 on: October 20, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing your photos, @NinetyFour

It's been a few years since I've been to the Moab area.
But you've reminded us what a beautiful area of the country this truly is.

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #493 on: October 20, 2018, 12:26:29 PM »
Superb pictures.  That is truly a magical place. Must go back someday.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #494 on: October 20, 2018, 01:35:20 PM »
After wrenching my back last evening and having an uncomfortable night I'm heading home.  I can't do much for the next couple of days until my back heals and I'm one who prefers to hibernate when I'm not well.  I had fun and am up for any more gatherings in the Southwest.

Thanks for exploring a bit of Arches with me! Have a safe trip home.

I got up early today and did a solo hike to Delicate Arch - the views were awesome with the morning shadows!

If anyone sees me in the next few minutes, I think I am going to walk to Gilberto's Taco Shop for lunch.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 01:36:51 PM by kudy »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #495 on: October 20, 2018, 01:56:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing your photos, @NinetyFour

It's been a few years since I've been to the Moab area.
But you've reminded us what a beautiful area of the country this truly is.

Superb pictures.  That is truly a magical place. Must go back someday.

Glad you have enjoyed the pictures!

I hope to spend the whole month of October 2019 in this area, so c'mon down!!  :)

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #496 on: October 20, 2018, 03:28:30 PM »
Bike ride good, hike good, combination of both has me tired out. We’re going to venture  to pool while sun is hot.

@WorkingToUnwind , we were talking about leaking roofs, I was thinking about how our rack is attached and realized I might have a tube of the material they use to waterproof screws and openings on RVs. Let me know if any use.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 03:40:28 PM by CanuckExpat »

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #497 on: October 20, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
Bike ride good, hike good, combination of both has me tired out. We’re going to venture  to pool while sun is hot.

@WorkingToUnwind , we were talking about leaking roofs, I was thinking about how our rack is attached and realized I might have a tube of the material they use to waterproof screws and openings on RVs. Let me know if any use.

@CanuckExpat We are tired, too, even without the bike ride! We ended up at the park taking naps this afternoon. It's so nice to have the sun out. Hubs says if you have the tube handy and don't need it, he'll take a look and see if it could help our leaks. Thanks! We were thinking of stopping by after dinner, around 7pm, with some firewood.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #498 on: October 20, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »

@CanuckExpat We are tired, too, even without the bike ride! We ended up at the park taking naps this afternoon. It's so nice to have the sun out. Hubs says if you have the tube handy and don't need it, he'll take a look and see if it could help our leaks. Thanks! We were thinking of stopping by after dinner, around 7pm, with some firewood.

Most of us are likely heading to the food truck area in town, and may not be back by 7, but probably not too much later than that!

WorkingToUnwind

• Bristles
« Reply #499 on: October 20, 2018, 05:50:41 PM »
Oh we saw those trucks today. Looks really neat. We'll just meet you all there. We'll head over shortly.