Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98051 times)

Marius Trip

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018
« Reply #400 on: September 26, 2018, 01:42:22 PM »
This is interesting.  I am flying to Moab on the 20th to hike from Canyonlands Field to Moab on the Hayduke Trail.  It would be interesting to meet some FIRE people at the group site instead.  Is this event still on?

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #401 on: September 28, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »
Given the number of cancellations, I figured I would hop on here and confirm that I and my husband will still be attending. Hard to believe this is not even a month away. Despite being on the road for 6 months this will be our first in an RV park. We have no set plans for after so if anyone wants to wander to BLM land after, we are game.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: September 28, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
This is interesting.  I am flying to Moab on the 20th to hike from Canyonlands Field to Moab on the Hayduke Trail.  It would be interesting to meet some FIRE people at the group site instead.  Is this event still on?

Yes--it is definitely still on!

This is where most of us will be:  https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/west/utah/canyonlands-rv-resort-campground/

Hope to see you there!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #403 on: September 29, 2018, 01:11:48 PM »
It's looking like I'll be getting to Moab early. Who's going to be camping Oct 14th - 18th? I'd love to camp together. I've got a truck camper, happy to boondock or stay in campground.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #404 on: October 01, 2018, 09:06:45 AM »
It's looking like I'll be getting to Moab early. Who's going to be camping Oct 14th - 18th? I'd love to camp together. I've got a truck camper, happy to boondock or stay in campground.

@Dr Kidstache

We will be leaving Montana and starting to head that way on Oct. 9th.  Not sure how many days we will take to get there, depends on how nice the area is on the way there.  Should definitely be there by the 16th but could be there as early as the 12th.  We were hoping to boondock when we get there but aren't opposed to a campground.  We are more limited in where we can camp with a 40 ft RV towing a car.  It sounds like there will be multiple people showing up before the meet up.  If someone who has been there before knows of a general area that could work for a few RVs and vehicles, post it.  Or whoever gets there first can scout for an open area and post gps coordinates.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #405 on: October 01, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it to Moab this year.

I've updated the campsite list below.  J_Oden also won't be able to attend.  Therefore, our site in Row 7 is available.

I have a very tentative plan for 2019 to be in this area on either the first week in Sept or the last week in Sept.  We'll see what happens.

To everyone on this thread, enjoy your stay.  What a beautiful part of the country this is.
I'll be checking this thread for any updates/photos of your time there. 

The following have booked a site at Canyonlands RV Resort & Campground for the "Oct 18-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah" MMM Meet Up.

Camping Sites Map

Row 3   (Large RV Sites)
plugging away 
FrugalZony 
2Saving4Life

Row 6   (Small RV Sites)
CanuckExpat
arebelspy + family
Caoineag

Row 7 (Tent Sites 103-106)
avrex & J_Oden

Row 8  (Tent Sites 108-113)
LWTG & Stasher
Aperture
NinetyFour & Daisy
ToTheMoon
Cork + two buddies

Row G [Tents w/ No Services]
Retire Canada

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 07:51:40 PM by avrex »

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #406 on: October 01, 2018, 11:08:10 PM »
As of now, we're still planning to be there. We'll be leaving from Boise ID around October 9th, and driving slowly to Moab via Salt Lake City (with stops at interesting hot springs and state parks along the way). If we get there early, we'll look up to see where everyone on is hanging out. Getting there early will depends on how long we stay at each spot on the way.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #407 on: October 03, 2018, 08:54:09 AM »
How did you guys get assigned campground spots? When I made a reservation, I was told they weren't assigned until arrival.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #408 on: October 03, 2018, 07:36:41 PM »
I haven't participated much in this discussion, but I am really excited about the meetup in a few weeks.

I am flying into Denver, spending a few days in Colorado, and then driving to Moab on the 18th. Because the meetup has been on my mind, I wrote a blog post about it, if you're interested in reading:
http://www.monetarymusings.com/1101/fi-friends-and-fun-in-the-utah-desert/

Is anyone coming or hoping to come but not sure where to stay? I booked a cabin that I believe has bunk beds if anyone wants to discuss splitting the place. I am also willing to give anyone a ride from the N. CO area to Moab on the 18th (and then probably back on the 22nd).

I am interested in an amateur/relaxed hike in Canyonlands & Arches (I am bringing my annual National Parks pass!), brewery visits, camp fires, helping people with website/internet questions, and touring the RVs of anyone who is willing to give one :)

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: October 03, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
AWe are still in. Still on track to get in a couple of days early. Will post about which BLM spot we'll end up at, once we scope it out.
Some of those around Moab are rough terrain, so I don't want to lead people to a place, I am not certain to get into ;)

I am currently dealing with a tooth abcess, which hopefully can hold off, until after Moab, although DH, is trying to convince me to skip Moab and head to Phoenix right away to see my dentist...

Also just hurt my ancle in King's Canyon/Sequoia NP, which hopefully will be better by the time we get to Moab, but I'll probably only be intersted in lazy easy hikes ;)

So Looking forward to this!!!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #410 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:45 AM »
We had to cancel our reservation today. *tears*

My parents were going to come out and watch our kids so just DH and I could have a child-free vacation, but they now have to stay home and take care of my Grandma.  She broke her hip and wrist a couple of weeks ago while on vacation, and has just been transferred back home.

I hope you all have such an amazing time that this becomes an annual gathering as we are really keen to join!

Hopefully see you next year,

TTM

PS - Happy happy retirement @NinetyFour!  Will catch up with you next year!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #411 on: October 04, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »
Maybe it's contagious? Having work issues myself and need to cancel unfortunately.

@Stasher Let me know by next week if you want site or not. I can transfer to your name or cancel at a certain time and you can call to re-book right away.

Alternatively if one of these other folks have a site with room for one more tent maybe you can crash/split with them?

The following have booked a site at Canyonlands RV Resort & Campground for the "Oct 18-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah" MMM Meet Up.

Camping Sites Map

Row 3   (Large RV Sites)
plugging away 
FrugalZony 
2Saving4Life

Row 6   (Small RV Sites)
CanuckExpat
arebelspy + family
Caoineag

Row 7 (Tent Sites 103-106)
avrex & J_Oden

Row 8  (Tent Sites 108-113)
LWTG & Stasher
Aperture
NinetyFour & Daisy
ToTheMoon
Cork + two buddies

Row G [Tents w/ No Services]
Retire Canada

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #412 on: October 06, 2018, 11:45:03 AM »
I am also staying at Canyonlands RV Resort, in a cabin, but I am not sure what number.

Does anyone know of any collaborative planning tools we could use for the group to put up "events" that they are doing/hosting, as a way to try and organize a few activities?

The simplest tool I can think of is a shared Google calendar (example: http://www.monetarymusings.com/moab/), but I believe each participant would have to be invited to it. I guess ideally it would allow anonymous collaboration without an invite?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:59:43 AM by kudy »

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #413 on: October 07, 2018, 08:25:56 AM »
I am also staying at Canyonlands RV Resort, in a cabin, but I am not sure what number.

Does anyone know of any collaborative planning tools we could use for the group to put up "events" that they are doing/hosting, as a way to try and organize a few activities?

The simplest tool I can think of is a shared Google calendar (example: http://www.monetarymusings.com/moab/), but I believe each participant would have to be invited to it. I guess ideally it would allow anonymous collaboration without an invite?

The simplest tool I can think of is a whiteboard or a piece of paper. 

I like the activities list, a less than 2 mile hike and then beers at the bar.  I'm up for whatever.  Some hikes, activities, and conversation sounds great to me. 

We are going to start heading that way tomorrow morning.  We could be in the area as early as Thursday the 11th.  If we get there early I will post where we're at. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: October 07, 2018, 09:21:19 AM »
I'm not familiar with the area, but I'm arriving on the 13th and staying at the Lazy Lizard Hostel for 4 nights before the camping begins. Perhaps that is a good place to put a whiteboard? By the way they also offer $3 showers even if you are not staying there.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #415 on: October 07, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
We have never been to Moab before so I can't say where we are staying before the meet up.  We were going to see if we could boondock near Willow Springs road/trail, it's 10 miles or so out of town.  This area seems to have good reviews and is accessible for large RVs. 

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: October 07, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
uggggg.....I HATE when that happens, but due to circumstances beyond my control it looks like I will have to cancel our RV spot.
I am so disapointed right now.
I'll have to call tomorrow to cancel. So if you want to have that spot, please message me.

I am so sad to miss this.

There's a remote chance that I may be able to catch a ride with @shadowmoss and come sans RV and DH. I may possibly end up at the hostel or if there's space in one of the cabins  (paging @kudy not sure who else rented a cabin and may have space) I'd be interested in sharing that as well.
I won't know for sure until the afternoon of the 15th though.

Sigh, I'll go cuddle up with a cat and cry a little now...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 08:50:42 PM by FrugalZony »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #417 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:20 AM »
You know you are welcome to ride with me.  Take care of yourself now so that we can have a great time in Moab.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: October 08, 2018, 12:37:20 PM »
A whiteboard or piece of paper works great if everyone is at the same place, but if people are boondocking, camping, and staying offsite, it might be harder to coordinate - I just hope we are all able to communicate (maybe we can just do it here in this thread) and coordinate activities together!

Hopefully this campground is pretty open to "guests" coming and going - I imagine the pavilion/group campfire area could be a default gathering place for our group.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #419 on: October 11, 2018, 08:58:03 AM »
Montana was snowing so we left early and are now in the Moab area.  We are currently staying at Horsethief Campground it's just off of BLM road 313 on BLM 340.  Unless we find something substantially better, we'll be here until we move into Moab for the meet up next week.  It's not free camping but with our National Parks pass it's $10 a night for a huge RV site with picnic table and fire ring, I won't complain. 

It's a little ways out of town but it's not crowded like many of the other areas and the drive is beautiful.  There is availability here still but sounds like it does fill up most days by the afternoon. 

As we were driving into the area, all we could say was "WOW, Utah is amazing!"  I'm glad we came early.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2018, 12:47:35 PM »
Montana was snowing so we left early and are now in the Moab area.  We are currently staying at Horsethief Campground it's just off of BLM road 313 on BLM 340.  Unless we find something substantially better, we'll be here until we move into Moab for the meet up next week.  It's not free camping but with our National Parks pass it's $10 a night for a huge RV site with picnic table and fire ring, I won't complain. 

It's a little ways out of town but it's not crowded like many of the other areas and the drive is beautiful.  There is availability here still but sounds like it does fill up most days by the afternoon. 

As we were driving into the area, all we could say was "WOW, Utah is amazing!"  I'm glad we came early.

Nice picture!  Can't wait to get out there.

I am leaving SW Colorado this afternoon.  I might stop by your place--will you be there at 6ish?  What campsite are you occupying?  Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

I will be picking up Daisy tomorrow morning at Green River and we will be back in Moab at 10am or so.  Not sure how she will feel after a marathon train trip, but we might want to drive into Arches and do a hike.  If anyone will be in the area tomorrow, let me/Daisy know and maybe we can meet up.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #421 on: October 12, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »
Sent you a PM @NinetyFour

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #422 on: October 13, 2018, 09:19:16 AM »
And another one bites the dust. Unfortunately Aegish and I will now be unable to make it. This has been one heck of a year. If someone is coming in a small RV our site is now available. I hope everyone has a blast in Moab!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:01 AM »
You know you are welcome to ride with me.  Take care of yourself now so that we can have a great time in Moab.

Shadowmoss when are you arriving?

I just arrived in Moab. I will have a private room and can share.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: October 13, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
I may be giving FrugalZony a ride up and she will know more by Monday.  Probably drive up Thursday now, and maybe get in late.  Depends on what FZ and I can sort out.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: October 13, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
I may be giving FrugalZony a ride up and she will know more by Monday.  Probably drive up Thursday now, and maybe get in late.  Depends on what FZ and I can sort out.
@shadowmoss  if you have a chance to head up early, please don't feel like you have to wait for me.
I totally understand, if you'd like to head up sooner, as several people are in the area already.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #426 on: October 14, 2018, 08:16:31 AM »
So fun hanging out with Daisy yesterday and then meeting 2Saving4Life for dinner!!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: October 14, 2018, 09:05:17 AM »
I have other reasons to wait until later in the week as well.  Right now everything is a movie g target.  We will work it out.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #428 on: October 14, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
I should arrive on the 15 or on the 16. Unfortunately, Canyonland does not seem to have tent sites left for those dates. Any chance someone who canceled could transfer me their reservation?

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #429 on: October 14, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »
Confirmed: I will be at Canyonland, arriving on the 16, leaving on the 18.  I'm looking forward to be seeing everyone!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: October 14, 2018, 07:12:38 PM »
Had another fun day hanging out with Daisy and 2Saving4Life and his wife.  We did a short hike to look at some rock art, and then this turned into a longer hike up Courthouse Wash for about 1.5 miles.  We all were mesmerized by the canyon walls, the sky, the everything.  :)

Rumor has it that CanuckExpat has arrived in the Moab area!  Yay--can't wait to see him and meet his family.

Currently hanging out with Daisy at the hostel---definitely way more enjoyable than grading papers and preparing for classes--which is what I was doing a year ago...

And Daisy treated me with some delicious wine....yum!!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: October 14, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
Confirmed: I will be at Canyonland, arriving on the 16, leaving on the 18.  I'm looking forward to be seeing everyone!

Yay--glad to hear it!  My reservation is currently for the 18th to the 22nd, but I might change things up and get there on the 17th.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: October 14, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
So fun hanging out with Daisy yesterday and then meeting 2Saving4Life for dinner!!

Hey, I know all these people!  Wish I could be there, too.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #433 on: October 14, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »

Yeah--you need to get on a plane and head west!!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: October 14, 2018, 07:18:54 PM »
No resting around 94. Sbe made me hike right after getting off the 2 day train ride.

I keep saying out loud "aren't you bored without a job?". Um...no.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: October 14, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »

Just do it Cherry Lane!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #436 on: October 14, 2018, 07:24:18 PM »
A picture from yesterday's Delicate Arch hike:

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: October 14, 2018, 07:32:37 PM »
Had another fun day hanging out with Daisy and 2Saving4Life and his wife.  We did a short hike to look at some rock art, and then this turned into a longer hike up Courthouse Wash for about 1.5 miles.  We all were mesmerized by the canyon walls, the sky, the everything.  :)

Did we miss some rock art in May?  On the one hand, it's hard to believe it's possible, given the amount we saw. On the other hand, it's not surprising, given the great amount in the area!

No resting around 94. Sbe made me hike right after getting off the 2 day train ride.

I keep saying out loud "aren't you bored without a job?". Um...no.

And Delicate Arch, even.  That climb is no joke.  I bet it felt good to move after being on the train all that time, though.

Just do it Cherry Lane!

You people are a bad influence.  I'd claim I'm being a responsible student by not going, but here I am posting about being responsible while avoiding writing my mid-term paper.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #438 on: October 14, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
Have fun people! :)

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #439 on: October 14, 2018, 08:44:18 PM »
Checking in after a long hiatus on the forum.  (I have been having too much fun since retirement in July.).  Dw and I are looking forward to seeing everyone in Moab.  We should be arriving by 4 at the latest on Thursday. Adios.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2018, 07:05:25 AM »
Checking in after a long hiatus on the forum.  (I have been having too much fun since retirement in July.).  Dw and I are looking forward to seeing everyone in Moab.  We should be arriving by 4 at the latest on Thursday. Adios.

Look forward to meeting you!

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2018, 08:09:41 AM »
I'm sorry but we have to leave Moab this morning and won't be able to attend the meet up.  I'm glad we were able to hang out with a few of the early birds before the meet up.  My dad passed away last night and we're driving back to Eastern WA.  I hope you guys have an amazing time down here.  It's so beautiful here and it was a privilege to meet those that I did.  Sorry we couldn't stick around.   

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: October 15, 2018, 09:04:07 AM »
I'm sorry but we have to leave Moab this morning and won't be able to attend the meet up.  I'm glad we were able to hang out with a few of the early birds before the meet up.  My dad passed away last night and we're driving back to Eastern WA.  I hope you guys have an amazing time down here.  It's so beautiful here and it was a privilege to meet those that I did.  Sorry we couldn't stick around.   

So sorry to hear the sad news this morning!  🙁

I am so glad to have met you and your wife.  Hope to see you again some time on the road.  😎

Safe travels back to Washington.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: October 16, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
I am sorry for your loss. Have a safe trip back home!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #444 on: October 16, 2018, 02:14:56 PM »
There's a remote chance .......

I am out, definitely, unfortunately. You all have fun!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #445 on: October 16, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
@2Saving4Life , I'm so sorry about your dad. Drive safe.

For those still attending the meetup, I should be at the campground Thursday afternoon. I'll be in a black & white Cirrus truck camper. Come say hi!

I'm looking forward to meeting you all

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #446 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »

:(  But I understand.  Our paths will cross at another time, I'm sure!

For those still attending the meetup, I should be at the campground Thursday afternoon. I'll be in a black & white Cirrus truck camper. Come say hi!

Yay--a couple of us are already at the campground--we are at sites G14 and G15.  @Daisy is at a hostel just a mile away and will probably be moving here to the campground on Thursday.  @CanuckExpat is at another campground right now, but I think he will move to this campground on Thursday (but I'm not positive).  @kudy will also be at this campground at some point.  There might be others coming, but I have kind of lost track at this point!  We're having lots of fun already, but more hikes and bike rides and campfires with more people will be awesome!

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: October 16, 2018, 08:05:23 PM »
We sure do miss @2Saving4Life on our hikes and rides. Wishing you were still here, and not just for the geology lessons.

Have you made it back home yet and been able to see your family?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #448 on: October 16, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »

:(  But I understand.  Our paths will cross at another time, I'm sure!

Yay--a couple of us are already at the campground--we are at sites G14 and G15.  @Daisy is at a hostel just a mile away and will probably be moving here to the campground on Thursday.  @CanuckExpat is at another campground right now, but I think he will move to this campground on Thursday (but I'm not positive).  @kudy will also be at this campground at some point.  There might be others coming, but I have kind of lost track at this point!  We're having lots of fun already, but more hikes and bike rides and campfires with more people will be awesome!

Oops--I forgot that @aperture is coming for sure and that @shadowmoss might also join us!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #449 on: October 16, 2018, 08:21:30 PM »
We sure do miss @2Saving4Life on our hikes and rides. Wishing you were still here, and not just for the geology lessons.

Most definitely!!