Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98057 times)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
Re: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018
« Reply #350 on: August 10, 2018, 02:58:30 PM »
...I may not be able to get the time off of work to go on this trip.
Plus, my vehicle A/C also died.  We'll see.

AC is not important for Moab in Oct. Time off work is. Good luck making that happen. Tell them it's a family reunion...your money family. ;)

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #351 on: August 10, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »
Tell them it's a family reunion...your money family. ;)

Love it.  Thanks R-C.  :)

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #352 on: August 12, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »
Still planning to attend and share a campsite with @Stasher Most likely will end up Crashing in SLC Sunday the 21st since my flight Monday morning is really early. But will be around Moab/Campground Thursday afternoon through Sunday dinner time or so. 

Really looking forward to it. Seemed like such a long shot to make it happen way back when this thread started and now it's only about 2 months from being a reality!!

So I'll post to follow, been dreaming of Mountain biking in Moab for over 20 years.

Of course as others have mentioned, no idea what 2 years will bring.

---------

I'll be in the campground from 13 - 22 Oct 2018. I'll be mountain biking each day probably 10am-4pm or so, but I'll be around in the morning to chat over a coffee and in the evening to chat over a beer/campfire. I'll be staying around for the week after the event to keep riding. At the moment not sure where I will stay...probably someplace cheaper as I may be solo.

Doing my best to get in shape to hopefully join you for a couple of these Epic rides!! Got in 4 rides this week :)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: August 12, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Doing my best to get in shape to hopefully join you for a couple of these Epic rides!! Got in 4 rides this week :)

Cool. Sounds like we should get a run in on The Whole Enchilada. That's a pretty mind blowing ride if you haven't done it before. You shuttle up so the climbing is limited. Let's ride Capt Ahab and see how that goes....we can make plans from there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 09:58:45 PM by Retire-Canada »

J'Oden

• Handlebar Stache
  • Fail Gloriously > Not Venture (hence FL)
« Reply #354 on: August 12, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
I took MXT out to Red Rocks Canyon Open Space to start getting her more comfortable with trails, and to wipe the rust off of my skills (it's been more than a decade since I've done a dedicated single track ride, and more than 2 years since I've even ridden on a trail like this). This was an easy trail, but it was good to get back to it. Made this video on one run.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2018, 07:30:47 AM »
I'm probably only about 15% to attend at this point.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2018, 08:51:23 AM »

Bummer :(

----

Anyone else thinking of renting Mountain bikes I just called this place yesterday-

https://chilebikes.com/rentals/

They seemed friendly on the phone and they are right across the street from the campground. They said they pretty much rent out every bike they have for October weekends so they recommend booking soon if you want something.

~65 days out baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2018, 04:10:04 PM »
Well I tried to make a reservation, and we are too big for the park. :-(  But that doesn't mean we can't be thereat a different park. 

We'll stay in touch with this group so we can link up while we're travelling

@CheapskateWife

What is too big for the park?  The premium sites should be 45 ft, at least that's what I was informed when I called.  We're taking a 40 ft Class A and a tow vehicle. 

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »

Well this is just sad...

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #359 on: August 22, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
Hey all,

I will be in Seattle prior to going to Moab and work my way to Moab. I arrive in Seattle on October 6th and would like to spend a few days there. After that, I am free to do whatever to get to Moab. I would rather not rent a car. I can take the Amtrak train to Green River, UT or Grand Junction, CO.

After the Moab meetup, I can take the train again from Green River, UT or Grand Junction, CO (or some other place), to Denver and fly back home.

OR, I can ride with someone who lives close to a big city airport to fly back home.

Anyone have ideas for me or space in their car or something else to help me plan?

I'm trying to finalize the details.

J'Oden

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: August 23, 2018, 05:42:10 AM »
I am getting a bit excited about this meetup. It's tempered a bit since CM*TO will happen first, but a camping trip just appeals to me. Anyway, this morning I made some hash browns, which got me thinking about camp breakfast. One of my go to meals is shredded potatoes with shredded onion, eggs, and corned beef hash. Usually seasoned with a bit of garlic and pepper. I love that I can bring a bunch in a freezer bag. Amazing. There is a better than average chance I will bring this dish. What about you all? What are your plans for food?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #361 on: August 23, 2018, 06:49:08 AM »
What about you all? What are your plans for food?

Plans? Walk to the grocery store near the campground and grab whatever I'm feeling at the time. I know what I'll be drinking...tea for breakfast, diluted sports drink during the day riding my bike and beer in the late afternoon/evening when I am back at camp.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
I'm late to the party but looking forward to joining you all in Moab. Just called Canyonlands RV park to reserve a spot for me & my trusty truck camper.
I would be up for some non-gnarly mountain biking but need to rent a mountain bike.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #363 on: August 27, 2018, 11:07:49 AM »
I'm late to the party but looking forward to joining you all in Moab. Just called Canyonlands RV park to reserve a spot for me & my trusty truck camper.
I would be up for some non-gnarly mountain biking but need to rent a mountain bike.

The Chillipepper Bike Shop and the Moab Cyclery are next to the campground and offer rentals. I've had a bunch of good experiences with Moab Cyclery.

10 yrs ago I would have said you are out of luck for chill singletrack riding in Moab, but they have since built several amazing trail networks with green and blue trails that are fun.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #364 on: August 27, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
10 yrs ago I would have said you are out of luck for chill singletrack riding in Moab, but they have since built several amazing trail networks with green and blue trails that are fun.

That's what I hear - lots of less intimidating rides now. Looking forward to checking them out!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: August 27, 2018, 05:25:21 PM »
That's what I hear - lots of less intimidating rides now. Looking forward to checking them out!

When you are in Moab if you need any suggestions for where to ride drop by my camp. I'll also have tools and supplies in case you need to tweak/adjust anything.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
When you are in Moab if you need any suggestions for where to ride drop by my camp. I'll also have tools and supplies in case you need to tweak/adjust anything.

Thanks, I look forward to taking you up on your offer. Perhaps in exchange for a beer!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #367 on: August 29, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »
We are still planning to be at the Campground Oct 18-22 and hope to snag a spot on BLM or NF land a few days before and after the meetup.
Once we know our spot on public land, I'll gladly post the coords here for others to join us if they are interested.

Also, I have an older no frills Mountain Bike, that someone could borrow if they like. I am not sure how suitable it will be for you tough trail riders.
That will be for you to judge, don't hold me accountable if it breaks apart and you get hurt ;)
I just use it to ride around campsites, while we are travelling, don't do any Mountain Bike trails in the true sense.
But if someone thinks they could use it, you are welcome to it.

Also, we'll have some extra gear as I have mentioned before (tent, therma rests etc.). So if you are travelling light and need something,
don't hesitate to ask. We'll gladly help out if we can.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 11:57:12 PM by FrugalZony »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #368 on: September 02, 2018, 12:34:10 PM »
We are still planning to be at the Campground Oct 18-22 and hope to snag a spot on BLM or NF land a few days before and after the meetup.
Once we know our spot on public land, I'll gladly post the coords here for others to join us if they are interested.

Also, I have an older no frills Mountain Bike, that someone could borrow if they like. I am not sure how suitable it will be for you tough trail riders.
That will be for you to judge, don't hold me accountable if it breaks apart and you get hurt ;)
I just use it to ride around campsites, while we are travelling, don't do any Mountain Bike trails in the true sense.
But if someone thinks they could use it, you are welcome to it.

Also, we'll have some extra gear as I have mentioned before (tent, therma rests etc.). So if you are travelling light and need something,
don't hesitate to ask. We'll gladly help out if we can.

Hi FrugalZony,

I might be showing up a few days earlier too. When do you expect to arrive in BLM land?

I will take you up on your offer to use the no frills mountain bike. I'm not a huge mountain biker, but a simple bike to do some easy trails would be a very nice offer from you.

I will PM you on the details of the days before.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #369 on: September 02, 2018, 03:14:08 PM »
I have avoided reading about this get together as I didn't think I'd go.  However, it keeps being talked about and I have no reason not to show up.  I will be in my car which is set up for sleeping and I have camping gear.  Should I try to get a spot in the campground, or is it too late?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #370 on: September 02, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
I have avoided reading about this get together as I didn't think I'd go.  However, it keeps being talked about and I have no reason not to show up.  I will be in my car which is set up for sleeping and I have camping gear.  Should I try to get a spot in the campground, or is it too late?

It's a big campground so if you want to come I'd call them. Ask for a tent site as it will be cheaper.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: September 02, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
For those that are flying in--what airport, and how are you planning to get to the campsite?

Is there like a carpool going on?

RV is likely out for me, but flying in solo may be a possibility.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: September 02, 2018, 08:50:47 PM »
Online shows no availability at the campground.  I'll wait till after the weekend to call, they may be in a better mood...  Plan B isn't just show up.  The Mazda is a wee thing and I sleep in it.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #373 on: September 04, 2018, 05:36:55 AM »
For those that are flying in--what airport, and how are you planning to get to the campsite?

I debated between SLC and LAS but SLC is about 4 hours vs 6 from Vegas so I went that route.  My plan is just renting a car.

No carpool coordinated as far as I know. Not a bad idea but seems maybe tough depending on flight days/times.

2Saving4Life

• Stubble
    • Evolving Escapades
« Reply #374 on: September 04, 2018, 07:38:06 AM »

I debated between SLC and LAS but SLC is about 4 hours vs 6 from Vegas so I went that route.  My plan is just renting a car.

No carpool coordinated as far as I know. Not a bad idea but seems maybe tough depending on flight days/times.

We'll be RVing to the meet up but there are United Express flights into Moab (CNY) Canyonlands Field. 

J'Oden

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #375 on: September 04, 2018, 09:45:48 AM »
@arebelspy , we'll be taking this route. While timing will probably be a touch more important, we are heading pretty close to DIA, so we can swing by there if you want to finish the road trip with us. :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #376 on: September 04, 2018, 11:21:25 AM »
I just called and it would be over $200 for the weekend in a tent site.  I may just show up and plan on camping in BLM dispersed camping.  Since I'm self contained (somewhat) in my car I can be flexible.

EDITED TO ADD:  I haven't read the entire thread, just the past 2 pages, but if anyone wants to let me share a site I am happy to kick in some money as well.  I'm not looking for charity, but the entire $200 for a site is just a bit too rich for my budget.  I will have a tent with me, but plan to sleep in the car.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 11:34:34 AM by shadowmoss »

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #377 on: September 05, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »
I am flying into Denver and renting a car - but I am arriving a few days early to visit home. I plan to drive to Moab the morning of the 18th.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: September 09, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
It's very likely that I am taking the train to Green River, Utah, arriving in the morning on October 13th. Supposedly it's just a train platform, and no building, so I am really hoping 94 picks me up at the station. ;-) I can move it to October 14th or 12th if needed. Please let me know soon so that I can book the train.

I will book some nights at the Lazy Lizard hostel as BLM tent camping is too hard core for me. BTW, the hostel offers $3 showers for those that want to use their shower facilities and are not guests. The hostel offers dorm beds, private rooms, cabins, and houses at very reasonable prices. I will probably get a dorm bed or private room unless others want to join in on a bigger area and save money.

That gives me 4 full days to explore before the big crowd shows up (October 14-17...I will be resting on October 13th after 45hrs of train rides).

PM me if you are going earlier and would like to meet up. The public transportation is not that great in the area so we can get together and plan hikes, rides, or paddles.

Edited to add: I saw there is an Enterprise Rent-A-Car across the street from the hostel which rents cars for $30 a day. I may be able to get around by renting a car if others are not in the area at the same time. The rental car office is not open on Saturday or Sunday though. I can probably try to find a cheaper rental car rate if I tried.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:06:39 PM by Daisy »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #379 on: September 10, 2018, 08:10:50 AM »
A train wreck just happened at work. I'm not going to be able to fix the problem between now and the Oct meet up so sadly I am not going to be there. Fuck! FIRE can't get here fast enough. :(

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #380 on: September 10, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
A train wreck just happened at work. I'm not going to be able to fix the problem between now and the Oct meet up so sadly I am not going to be there. Fuck! FIRE can't get here fast enough. :(

That totally sucks, RC.  I know how much you were looking forward to the trip, and I'm sure the whole gang was eager to meet you and try to keep with you on the trails.  Serious bummer.  :(  Let's set the intention right now to make another Moab Meetup happen next year.  :)

It's very likely that I am taking the train to Green River, Utah, arriving in the morning on October 13th. Supposedly it's just a train platform, and no building, so I am really hoping 94 picks me up at the station. ;-) I can move it to October 14th or 12th if needed. Please let me know soon so that I can book the train.

Yep, I can pick you up at Green River.  The 14th would work better for me, but I can deal with the 13th if necessary.  What time does the train arrive?

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #381 on: September 10, 2018, 01:02:20 PM »

Yep, I can pick you up at Green River.  The 14th would work better for me, but I can deal with the 13th if necessary.  What time does the train arrive?

8am. But I've heard Amtrak may not always be on time. Would have to track and see when it is actually arriving. I've never taken an Amtrak train so I am not sure. And I'm not sure what kind of cell service I will have in Green River.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #382 on: September 10, 2018, 01:14:43 PM »
Just curious - did the RV park change ownership?

Link in the first post is dead - redirects to the general site of the park company, which no longer lists a UT location. Or am I missing it?

https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/canyonlands

I'm considering going, but I've been to Moab a lot, and have lots of other travel plans through the fall and winter too...

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2018, 01:19:13 PM »

Yes. Shouldn't have any effect on the end user.

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2018, 01:24:20 PM »

Yes. Shouldn't have any effect on the end user.
Do you have a current link for the park website? Or know the new name?

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:07 PM »

The name has not changed. I just googled Canyonlands RV park Moab: https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/west/utah/canyonlands-rv-resort-campground/

Clean Shaven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #386 on: September 10, 2018, 01:34:24 PM »

The name has not changed. I just googled Canyonlands RV park Moab: https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/west/utah/canyonlands-rv-resort-campground/
Thanks.

J'Oden

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2018, 01:56:35 PM »

Thanks.

Okay. Are you Clean Shaven or a Pencil Stache. I'm so very confused. :P

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2018, 05:10:18 PM »
Daisy:  Thanks for mentioning the Lazy Lizard Hostel.  I'm in the process of reserving a dorm bed for the weekend.  I'll have my car and willing to shuttle or whatever while I'm there.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: September 10, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
Daisy:  Thanks for mentioning the Lazy Lizard Hostel.  I'm in the process of reserving a dorm bed for the weekend.  I'll have my car and willing to shuttle or whatever while I'm there.

Awesome! When are you arriving?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: September 10, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »
Just reserved a dorm room for 18-22.  I am set up to camp in my car, so I could come up earlier.  I have a trip back East for later this month for 2 weeks.  When I get back from that I'll start planning this one.  I haven't been to this area for a few decades so I don't even know what I want to see/do yet.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #391 on: September 10, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
Just reserved a dorm room for 18-22.  I am set up to camp in my car, so I could come up earlier.  I have a trip back East for later this month for 2 weeks.  When I get back from that I'll start planning this one.  I haven't been to this area for a few decades so I don't even know what I want to see/do yet.

I will stay at the hostel from the 13th to the 18th. Then from the 18th-22nd I am sharing a campsite with 94. Feel free to come earlier and explore!

I have never been to Moab so I want to spend some time there exploring the parks. Hike, bike, paddle...so much to do. 4 days will not be enough. ;-)

The guy at the hostel said some shuttle services can charge around $60 or $70 to take you around. Ridiculous! So if 94 or FrugalZony can't pick me up daily, I can rent a car for $30/day and meet up with them...unless you show up earlier. The guy also said other hostel stayers share rides all of the time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:15:09 PM by Daisy »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: September 10, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »
@shadowmoss, there was only one private room left on the 13th (more available on the other dates). Plenty of dorm beds for the whole time.

I decided to reserve the private room. I'm waffling between private room and dorm bed. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on the private room if that's what I wanted.

Dorm bed: $12/night
Private room: $32/night (one person), $36/night (2 people)

It costs a little more, but not outrageous. Maybe we can share a room if you are interested.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #393 on: September 10, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »
Looks like you are checking out of the hostel the day i check in.  :)  Let me see how this first trip goes energy wise and money wise.  It will be good for me to be staying someplace a bit away from the group.  I need my down time.  Maybe if I get there early I will stay in the room with you.  Money will determine.  I will know more around the beginning of October.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: September 11, 2018, 12:38:43 PM »
Looks like you are checking out of the hostel the day i check in.  :)  Let me see how this first trip goes energy wise and money wise.  It will be good for me to be staying someplace a bit away from the group.  I need my down time.  Maybe if I get there early I will stay in the room with you.  Money will determine.  I will know more around the beginning of October.

I may switch to a dorm bed if it's just me. $32 for a private room is not bad, but a $12 dorm bed is too enticing!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #395 on: September 12, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
@Retire-Canada, I'm disappointed I won't be able to meet you & share your mountain biking wisdom. Bummer!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2018, 03:12:56 PM »
@arebelspy , we'll be taking this route. While timing will probably be a touch more important, we are heading pretty close to DIA, so we can swing by there if you want to finish the road trip with us. :)

Okay, I could probably fly in solo to Denver and road trip over! Texting you.

For everyone else: We have an RV campsite booked last Nov or whatever. I've gotta call and cancel at some point. Is there someone who wants it, that I can just keep it and you pay me back (or we time it so I cancel, and you call immediately and book)?

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #397 on: September 12, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »
I'm in, but I am a wimp and will be staying in Moab. Any other wimps want to go in with me?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So sorry, but I’m out. I will be helping my oldest friend with her daughter’s (my goddaughter’s) wedding.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
Let's set the intention right now to make another Moab Meetup happen next year.  :)

Definitely! I still plan to take a month off for my 50th bday around 15 Mar to 15 Apr 2019 [I'll be heading south to UT/AZ] and an Oct 2019 desert trip is a great idea for Moab.

I'm not going to say much about these trips on the forums [until I am on the road!] because I feel like I jinxed myself with anticipation this year. So don't take my lack of posting as lack of interest. I'm interested AF!

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #399 on: September 25, 2018, 11:06:23 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I will be driving by on the 16 or the 17 on my way to Boulder.  Please let me know if you end up at the brewery or something on those days, I would like to join you! 

I may be convinced to stay an extra night or two if some of you are up for doing some rock climbing (and have your equipment), but I have arrive in Boulder on the 19 at noon the very latest.

Rock on!