Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98055 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Moab, Utah, USA in October 2018
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
I would say you hold out for a few ore days until @RetireCanada gets back from his MTB trip. He has the camping hacks pretty dialed and stays down here pretty much every year. I would think we should be somewhere centrally located for hiking and mountain biking opportunities. Outside of Canyonlands and Arches parks would probably best as well.

I think waiting for RC to chime in is a good idea.  Even though I live a lot closer to Moab than he does, he has probably spent more time there and knows more about camping options outside of the National Parks.

When we eventually decide on a location, I will most likely be able to get out there well before other folks to claim the spot, as I will be very happily retired at that point!!  :D

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »
Lots of big sites that are free BLM land and RV accessible off Willow Springs road just north of town. That’s where we boondock with big groups. You do need somebody to get there early to bag your site as it is a free-for-all area. Great location for riding being right next to the Klonzo trail system and closer to the entrance of Arches NP than town is. In fact if you stay on Willow Springs road it takes you into Arches NP the back way.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:58 PM »
You do need somebody to get there early to bag your site as it is a free-for-all area.

I could totally see this in the summer, but is it that busy in October?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2017, 09:48:37 PM »

Summer is hot and quiet in Moab. Spring and fall are busy. Next weekend is fall break for Utah schools and Moab will be packed.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2017, 10:02:41 PM »
Ah, okay.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2017, 01:11:20 PM »

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:57 PM »
PTF.  Moab is not checked off of our list yet!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #157 on: October 19, 2017, 01:11:05 PM »

Summer is hot and quiet in Moab. Spring and fall are busy. Next weekend is fall break for Utah schools and Moab will be packed.

Wow.  We have visited Moab in early August the last couple years and it seemed plenty busy.  I'd hate to visit during the busy season!

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »
Wow.  We have visited Moab in early August the last couple years and it seemed plenty busy.  I'd hate to visit during the busy season!

I drove in this afternoon and traffic was backed up from the center of town past the intersection of 191 and 128  - 2 miles or so.  How much further it extended up toward the Arches entrance I could not tell.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2017, 11:18:10 PM »
I think waiting for RC to chime in is a good idea.  Even though I live a lot closer to Moab than he does, he has probably spent more time there and knows more about camping options outside of the National Parks.

When we eventually decide on a location, I will most likely be able to get out there well before other folks to claim the spot, as I will be very happily retired at that point!!  :D

My go to campground for a mixed group is:

https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/canyonlands

They do RVs, tents, cabins, etc.... They are in town and you can walk to most services including a brew pub, bike shop, grocery store, camping store and numerous restaurants. They have real toilets, showers and a laundromat on site. They also have a pool and a BBQ you can use. There is WiFi, but it's slow.

Personally I'm fine with a dusty zero service free BLM site, but it doesn't sound like that suits the wide variety of people that could show up. So maybe this place is a good option. One downside is that it's in town so it's noisy compared to a campsite out in the boonies. I've used this site with a variety of MTB peeps and everyone was happy except the really light sleepers who wanted to sleep in as the town noise bothered them, but perhaps ear plugs would solve that? I sleep like a log and wake up at 5-6am anyways so it never bothered me.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: October 22, 2017, 04:13:49 PM »

I drove in this afternoon and traffic was backed up from the center of town past the intersection of 191 and 128  - 2 miles or so.  How much further it extended up toward the Arches entrance I could not tell.

Yikes...OK it 'wasn't busy' when we were there then!  :-)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: October 22, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »

I'd say whatever location we decide on needs to be reservable months in advance not something we hope to snag on a first-come-first-served basis and hope to get lucky. There are too many people coming from all over to take that risk in my opinion. If it was just 2 or 3 MMMers that would be a different story.

Oct is primetime for Moab so our best defence is figuring something out now and booking soon.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
The following folks are attending the "Oct 19-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah" MMM Meet Up.

- NinetyFour
- Retire Canada - backpacking tent - primitive camping okay - 1 person
- Caoineag
- Financial Ascensionist
- Aperture
- Found A Penny
- Canuck Expat
- MsSindy
- Stasher
- Earthsurfer
- Meadow Lark!
- Plugging Away

To help figure out the accommodation requirements can the folks above add in what your camping equipment/requirements look like and # of people/dogs coming. Also if you are not 90%+ sure you are coming take your name off the list. You can always add yourself back in if you plans firm up, but we don't want to be working to meet people's needs if they are not pretty certain to be there.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #163 on: October 23, 2017, 05:27:08 PM »
Add arebelspy/arebelwife/arebeltoddler/arebelbaby please!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: October 23, 2017, 05:45:26 PM »
The following folks are attending the "Oct 19-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah" MMM Meet Up.

- NinetyFour
- Caoineag
- Financial Ascensionist
- Aperture
- Found A Penny
- Canuck Expat
- MsSindy
- Stasher
- Earthsurfer
- Meadow Lark!
- Plugging Away
- Arebelspy - truck/RV - no services needed - 2 adults - 2 kids

To help figure out the accommodation requirements can the folks above add in what your camping equipment/requirements look like and # of people/dogs coming. Also if you are not 90%+ sure you are coming take your name off the list. You can always add yourself back in if you plans firm up, but we don't want to be working to meet people's needs if they are not pretty certain to be there.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #165 on: October 23, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
And you filled in all my info and bolded me as completed! Thanks!

I will pay it forward: If Canuck Expat will be attending, he will also be RV - no services needed - 2 adults - 2 kids.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #166 on: October 23, 2017, 06:31:15 PM »

- NinetyFour
- Caoineag - Van footprint - no services needed - 2 people (potentially 2 dogs)
- Financial Ascensionist
- Aperture
- Found A Penny
- Canuck Expat
- MsSindy
- Stasher
- Earthsurfer
- Meadow Lark!
- Plugging Away

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moab, Utah, USA in October 2018
« Reply #167 on: October 23, 2017, 08:55:31 PM »
I'm in and adaptable. I can bring my RV (no services needed) or my wee car and tent. I'll likely be solo or may be 1+ with DD (if she is racing in Moab that weekend).

I have been visiting Moab about twice per year for 26 years and was there last weekend. It has progressively gone from sleepy little town in the early 90's to insanely busy today. I agree with RC, deffo go there with supplies and reservations. Picking things up in town or eating out means dealing with lines, crowds and inflated resort prices. Town reportedly was mayhem last weekend. I camped outside of town and never went in.

Willow Springs Rd - I rescind that area from camping recommendations. By noon on Friday last weekend there were perhaps 500 campers there. It was dusty and noisy with generators, kids, Razors, jeeps, dogs, ATV's dirt bikes etc. A new thing in the last year is that everyone now has a bling light bar on their off-road motor machines so the Mad-Max scene doesn't end at sunset like it used to but everyone rallies around with their 2000 lumens on the grill all night. Sheesh/rant. We bailed and camped further up the road...

We were there for the Utah high schools mountain bike race. 2,400 kids raced and each kid comes with their families for an estimated 7 - 8000 people in Moab just for that event. There were a few other events going on last weekend also.

Option: There is a quiet camp ground that is reasonably priced near the junction of Hwy 191 and 313 (about 10 miles north of town). It has no facilities, no hook ups and is usually quiet being located on private property down a dirt road (RV and low clearance 2wd accessible) with a closed gate, no trespassing sign, a keep out sign and a dead end road sign. You can make reservations. It is not on the web. It doesn't have a name. I have the owners phone number. All you get is a flat piece of dirt. It was only 1/2 full last weekend! There are 6 big sites and they are $20/night. Camp sites in town were $75/night last weekend unless you had them booked for a lower price months in advance.

Moab is amazing and I love it. There are so many trails and once we were on the trails away from the roads we didn't see many people but loads of awesome scenery.

I hope this helps. I don't mean to muck up your event planning NinetyFour and am excited to come and meet more MMMers. I've only met 1 so far (Hi RC!!)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:19:14 PM by plugging away »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #168 on: October 24, 2017, 06:41:41 AM »

- NinetyFour
- Retire Canada - truck with backpacking tent - primitive camping okay - 1 person
- Financial Ascensionist
- Aperture
- Found A Penny
- Canuck Expat
- MsSindy
- Stasher
- Earthsurfer
- Meadow Lark!
- Plugging Away - car with tent or RV - no services needed - 1 adult + 1 teen

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 06:52:28 AM by Retire-Canada »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #169 on: October 24, 2017, 06:45:59 AM »
Option: There is a quiet camp ground that is reasonably priced near the junction of Hwy 191 and 313 (about 10 miles north of town). It has no facilities, no hook ups and is usually quiet being located on private property down a dirt road (RV and low clearance 2wd accessible) with a closed gate, no trespassing sign, a keep out sign and a dead end road sign. You can make reservations. It is not on the web. It doesn't have a name. I have the owners phone number. All you get is a flat piece of dirt. It was only 1/2 full last weekend! There are 6 big sites and they are $20/night. Camp sites in town were $75/night last weekend unless you had them booked for a lower price months in advance.

Moab is amazing and I love it. There are so many trails and once we were on the trails away from the roads we didn't see many people but loads of awesome scenery.

I hope this helps. I don't mean to muck up your event planning NinetyFour and am excited to come and meet more MMMers. I've only met 1 so far (Hi RC!!)

It was great to meet you PA! We had the first ever MMM MTB Meet Up on Gooseberry Mesa! I love that place and I'll be back in March 2018.  :)

The private campground option is good to have in the mix once we see what everyone who is coming is bringing and what their needs/wants are.

Jenny1974

• Stubble
« Reply #170 on: October 24, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
Sounds interesting .  . . . I might be up for it!

jordanread

« Reply #171 on: October 24, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »
Throw me and MXT on that list.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2017, 12:02:32 PM »

Read the paragraph below the list. :)

jordanread

« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »

Read the paragraph below the list. :)

I know. She was out getting drugs, so the initial questions require communication. :)

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2017, 06:08:54 AM »

- NinetyFour
- Retire Canada - truck with backpacking tent - primitive camping okay - 1 person
- Financial Ascensionist
- Aperture - 2 man tent, low clearance car, 2 people
- Found A Penny
- Canuck Expat
- MsSindy
- Stasher
- Earthsurfer
- Meadow Lark!

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2017, 01:01:08 PM »
Mrs Fredbear and I intend to drop in if no hunting season is open but we stay in town and need no planning for us. 

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2017, 12:33:51 PM »
I'll thrown my two cents in for accommodations.

We just got back from Moab where we spent four wonderful and relaxing nights at the Dead Horse State Park yurts. There are currently three yurts and while we were there they were building two more near the current ones and an additional three near the campground one mile down the road.  The yurts have power, lights, propane stove, bunk bed, pull out couch, dining table, sitting chair, deck w/chairs, bbq w/ propane, outdoor fire pit, and nearby restrooms. Great mountain bike trails start right at the yurts and you are away from the hustle bustle of Moab. The Dead Horse State Park campground has campsites for RVs, etc. Only downside of the yurts is the cost @ $120/night. They can be booked 4 months in advance and are booked pretty much the day they become available.

We also biked at the nearby the BLM Horsethief Campground where I noticed a lot of empty campsites.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
I'm keeping myself off the exact list of details (people, and mode of accommodation) because I don't know enough for that far in advance, but sure I/we can be flexible.

Regards to the Yurt option, that is $120 / night for how many people? That can be expensive or cheap depending on the number it accommodates, and interesting if it has other camping options in same park.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »
The yurts sleep six maximum w/ a two vehicle limit. I think it's $10 for the additional vehicle. There are a group of five yurts (preferred ones IMO) setup around the parking area and are separated from the main campground by one mile . The other three yurts are located at the main campground.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2017, 08:52:20 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am only 70% likely to be there, so feel free to drop me off the list.  I am fine with camping, including primitive camping.  We would be two with a two persons tent.  On the topic of primitive camping, I am just back from 4 days of dispersed camping near Bishop, CA and I had a really good time.  Great views, no neighbors, and zero housing costs.  What else could you possibly wish for?  Yeah, showers are nice, but I'm fine skipping for a few days.  It takes some getting used to before you accept that the army shovel is your washroom, but surprisingly enough it doesn't feel weird anymore after a while.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2017, 08:05:12 AM »

I'd say whatever location we decide on needs to be reservable months in advance not something we hope to snag on a first-come-first-served basis and hope to get lucky. There are too many people coming from all over to take that risk in my opinion. If it was just 2 or 3 MMMers that would be a different story.

Oct is primetime for Moab so our best defence is figuring something out now and booking soon.

Agreed! I plan one or two camping trips a year for groups of 15-30 people and when your trying to snag popular spot like national/State parks the earlier you can book the better when needing multiple spots (and preferably close together spots at that). We typically discuss dates and options on the trip and book for the following year on our last day or right after since many places fill up the full year out.

I'll thrown my two cents in for accommodations.

We just got back from Moab where we spent four wonderful and relaxing nights at the Dead Horse State Park yurts. There are currently three yurts and while we were there they were building two more near the current ones and an additional three near the campground one mile down the road.  The yurts have power, lights, propane stove, bunk bed, pull out couch, dining table, sitting chair, deck w/chairs, bbq w/ propane, outdoor fire pit, and nearby restrooms. Great mountain bike trails start right at the yurts and you are away from the hustle bustle of Moab. The Dead Horse State Park campground has campsites for RVs, etc. Only downside of the yurts is the cost @ $120/night. They can be booked 4 months in advance and are booked pretty much the day they become available. 

Those Yurts do look pretty cool but my concern would be that 4 month booking window. If other places take reservations a year out and we wait/gamble on those and it doesn't work out then we are kind of screwed as by May 2018 everything else might be booked?

The yurts sleep six maximum w/ a two vehicle limit. I think it's $10 for the additional vehicle. There are a group of five yurts (preferred ones IMO) setup around the parking area and are separated from the main campground by one mile . The other three yurts are located at the main campground.

If a bunch of people are camping in RV'S/tents I would actually think the Yurts by the main campground would be better so the group would be closer together for hanging out/campfires etc. though I guess if people have bikes a mile is not a huge deal.

------------------------------------------------

I'm still only like 70/30 so not adding my name to the official list just yet, just wanted to give my 2 cents based on past group camping experiences :)

I would LOVE to drive out with all my camping stuff and Mountain bikes but it's just waaaaaay too far so my itinerary will be just flying/renting car and bringing my small backpacking stuff so I'm fine camping pretty much anywhere.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2017, 08:12:01 AM »
PTF

Nice, Be fun to meet you/RC/Stasher all at one event!!

Anyone who is interested/curious about travel hacking I started a thread in the Ask a Mustachain specifically to try and get me to this meetup for free :)

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/travel-hack-me-to-the-mmm-moab-meetup/

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2017, 08:37:57 AM »
PTF

Nice, Be fun to meet you/RC/Stasher all at one event!!

Sounds like a Camp Mustache Vancouver Island is needed!  ;)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2017, 10:18:25 AM »
Let's not derail the topic but Yes Yes Yes @Arebelspy @Fire45 :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #184 on: October 30, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
posting to follow. LWTG you should coordinate shared rental car costs if others are flying in.  put me on your list as a maybe for now.  b/c we'd fly in and drive down too.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »
We are in the 80ish % likely camp, which means we will try to make it, unless something happens with my (not so healthy) parents, which would require me to leave the country again.

We do have an RV (32ft), but don't need hookups, just a space to fit 32 ft.

I don't want anyone to plan around us, as there is always that possibility that something may happen, but I definitely want to be on the list of people, who are quite serious about this.

We can always try to find a boondocking spot nearby if you guys decide to go to a tent only area etc.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
posting to follow. LWTG you should coordinate shared rental car costs if others are flying in.  put me on your list as a maybe for now.  b/c we'd fly in and drive down too.

I can certainly try when it gets closer, hard to say how many folks will have similar schedules but I'd be all for splitting car/gas costs!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
Let's not derail the topic but Yes Yes Yes @Arebelspy @Fire45 :)

Count us in if something like this happens - we would do our best to get out there to see family, and visit with MMM'ers!

CMC West: Van Isle Edition?

I could probably do a CMC West: Rockies Edition at some point as well.  We need a new thread. . .

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2017, 01:31:16 PM »

I can certainly try when it gets closer, hard to say how many folks will have similar schedules but I'd be all for splitting car/gas costs!

I recall there is a shuttle between SLC and Moab. Once you are in Moab I'm sure someone can move you around during the meet up in their vehicle.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
No idea what my % commitment is yet, but I'm noting the date and want to try to join. When I lived in Colorado I went to Moab for weekend trips to climb. That was in the early 2000's and we always camped free on BLM lands (Indian Creek mainly, but also Castle Valley. I brought my mountain bike with me once, but I was too focused on the climbing so this time around I would ride! I accidentally ended up there on Jeep Weekend, twice! That was unfortunate.

I recommend reading some Edward Abbey before going. "The Monkey Wrench Gang" is fun fiction and "Desert Solitaire" is a classic about the area. He was a ranger in the area and was quite a character (anarchist, environmentalist, curmudgeon, etc.).

Here's a morning shot from some free camping (circa 2000 point-and-shoot digital):

And a random shot from Canyonlands NP (hiking day since my climbing partner has some sort of shoulder injury):

I have some pretty good climbing pictures from the area, but they're all on slides I haven't scanned yet. Here's one digital shot that doesn't do it justice, but what the heck. This looking straight down on the Kor-Ingalls route on Castleton Tower:

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2017, 09:18:51 PM »
Nice @Chaplin.  Thanks for sharing those pics.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #191 on: November 13, 2017, 05:18:52 AM »

They do RVs, tents, cabins, etc.... They are in town and you can walk to most services including a brew pub, bike shop, grocery store, camping store and numerous restaurants. They have real toilets, showers and a laundromat on site. They also have a pool and a BBQ you can use. There is WiFi, but it's slow.

Personally I'm fine with a dusty zero service free BLM site, but it doesn't sound like that suits the wide variety of people that could show up. So maybe this place is a good option. One downside is that it's in town so it's noisy compared to a campsite out in the boonies. I've used this site with a variety of MTB peeps and everyone was happy except the really light sleepers who wanted to sleep in as the town noise bothered them, but perhaps ear plugs would solve that? I sleep like a log and wake up at 5-6am anyways so it never bothered me.

I am going to try to call this place today and see what their availability is for October 2018.

I do agree that a place like this would be best to accommodate MMMers who may have limited time (and don't want to spend precious hours driving out to a remote BLM site) and who want some in-town amenities.

It could be that some of us who will have more leisurely schedules go from here to a BLM site after most folks have gone back to their 9-to-5s.  ;-)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: November 13, 2017, 05:45:03 AM »

I am going to try to call this place today and see what their availability is for October 2018.

I do agree that a place like this would be best to accommodate MMMers who may have limited time (and don't want to spend precious hours driving out to a remote BLM site) and who want some in-town amenities.

It could be that some of us who will have more leisurely schedules go from here to a BLM site after most folks have gone back to their 9-to-5s.  ;-)

Most of the cool things to do in MOAB are not in the city of MOAB.  There are campgrounds much closer to arches and canyonlands that are outside the city on BLM land.  - including a bunch of great sites along the colorado river.  - If getting everyone in one place is the goal i dont see that being a hard thing to do in October as the season should be really slow out there. 

So IMO this site is more "remote" than the BLM land if your goal is to see the amazing National and state parks in the moab area.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #193 on: November 13, 2017, 06:46:49 AM »
.... i dont see that being a hard thing to do in October as the season should be really slow out there. 

Oct is prime time in Moab...probably the busiest time of the year because the weather is so nice.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #194 on: November 13, 2017, 07:06:05 AM »

Sounds good 94. Thanks for getting this Meet Up rolling. There is no way to make a really diverse group of people perfectly happy, which is why I was trying to figure out who is actually highly likely to come so we weren't getting input from too many people. Choosing a central location with all the options from tents to RVs to hotels [nearby] means you'll be able to accommodate most people. 

I'll be around before and possibly after the Meet Up to do more riding. If it's just me I'm happy to head out into the desert for some primitive camping. If my GF and some of our other urban friends are with us I may stick around the Cannyonlands RV Park to keep them happy. We can coordinate the pre and post Meet Up stuff closer to the time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: November 13, 2017, 07:28:13 AM »
I think more central for a big inclusive meetup, then more remote before and/or after stuff makes a lot of sense! :)

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2017, 07:42:53 AM »
If we end up at Canyonlands the one downside with that place other than not being free is that it's in town so it's noisy relative to a primitive campsite. So if you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #197 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:57 AM »
Seņora aperture and I are looking forward to Moab with you guys.  Where ever we can get it done is good for us.  Agree October is peak season in Moab.  BLM land may be unpredictably available and/or difficult to locate vs. a reserved private site.  We live in Denver and can travel to Moab on a weekend, so the main draw for us is meeting others in the community and celebrate freedom (FIRE date is June, 2018). 

An experience that is fantastic at Arches is the ranger-led Fiery Furnace Tour.  Tickets often sell out on same day they go on sale (6 months prior to date) so you will need to plan.  I highly recommend the experience.  There are alerts about the experience, but I think the only people that might have trouble, would be folks with really bad knees and perhaps could be hard to carry a baby.  There is some climbing ladders, squatting and crawling under things and probably more than a few big step ups.  Nothing an otherwise healthy 5 to 70 year old couldn't handle. 

Best wishes, aperture.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #198 on: November 14, 2017, 08:36:45 AM »
BLM land may be unpredictably available and/or difficult to locate vs. a reserved private site. 

I don't think camping at a primitive dispersed BLM location with no services is a realistic option for a diverse group that doesn't know each other. Not everyone has the equipment, skills and ability to make that work and even if they do flying with it would be challenging for a number of reasons. Even for people I know I would be cautious about planning a trip around that type of camping option for most people. And as you note even finding such a location can be a challenge to meet up with the group.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:40:10 AM by Retire-Canada »

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: November 14, 2017, 09:44:08 AM »
DH and I have been chatting - we are in! 

We will likely take a couple of weeks to drive down from BC and back, so will definitely be around to check out a few extra sights around the area.  We will have our old Jeep, mountain bikes, paddleboard/kayaks, hiking shoes etc and will be up for about anything!

- NinetyFour
- Financial Ascensionist
- Aperture
- Found A Penny
- Canuck Expat
- MsSindy
- Stasher
- Earthsurfer
- Meadow Lark!
- ToTheMoon - Jeep/Tent - no services needed - 2 adults, 2 kids (6 & 8)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:39:01 PM by ToTheMoon »