Author Topic: Moab, Utah, USA meetup October 18 - 22, 2018  (Read 98077 times)

mooshie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Moab, Utah, USA in October 2018
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
These 2 years will fly by--right?  right??

Totally! Look, it's already November!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 07:13:11 AM »
I am always up for a trip to Moab.  I bring my photo gear and practice my landscapes (sunrise/sunsets) and astrophotography skills. I always run into other photographers, including the anti-mustachian folks that spend $1000s to be on a guided expedition and stand next to each other to shoot the same shots. Don't get me wrong - I get the same shots, just not at the cost of $1000's to be there.

Looking forward to seeing others in Moab sometime. -ap.
You should go to Mutawintji or Lake Mungo (or anywhere in Western NSW) or even Arkaroola.

Thanks for the tip Deborah. I would love to visit NSW. Will put it on my bucket list for retirement. Thanks, ap.

Capitalist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2016, 12:49:35 PM »
I'm am tentatively in as well, hopefully we are still in Utah in 2018!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2016, 01:41:17 PM »
I am off to Utah in a few minutes.  Planning to be at the Canyonlands Needles campground, but I might mosey over to Arches as well.  Will be fantasizing about our October 2018 party!!

magickelly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 10:35:39 PM »
I am off to Utah in a few minutes.  Planning to be at the Canyonlands Needles campground, but I might mosey over to Arches as well.  Will be fantasizing about our October 2018 party!!

I just got back from 5 days in Moab! Great weather but it's still a little crowded for my tastes but I had to go before Thanksgiving this year instead of my usual December. Spent most of my time out of the Nat'l Parks - instead on BLM trails and in Sand Flats (GREAT hiking up there, you can hike those bike and 4x4 trails). I've always driven into Arches and Canyonlands for free in December but judging by the huge line of cars waiting to get into Arches on Saturday, the booths are still very much manned and collecting lots of revenue!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2016, 09:11:17 AM »

I just got back from 5 days in Moab! Great weather but it's still a little crowded for my tastes but I had to go before Thanksgiving this year instead of my usual December. Spent most of my time out of the Nat'l Parks - instead on BLM trails and in Sand Flats (GREAT hiking up there, you can hike those bike and 4x4 trails). I've always driven into Arches and Canyonlands for free in December but judging by the huge line of cars waiting to get into Arches on Saturday, the booths are still very much manned and collecting lots of revenue!

Yes I didn't go near the Nat'l Parks in October. Nothing about a long line up of cars makes me want to join that parade. There is so much amazing desert to explore in that area that's not crowded with people.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:22 AM »
I've got to admit, the talk of crowds does give me considerable pause...nice to hear that they can be avoided. The 4X4'ing possibilities down there have me drooling a bit. ;)

fredbear

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »
I've got to admit, the talk of crowds does give me considerable pause...nice to hear that they can be avoided. The 4X4'ing possibilities down there have me drooling a bit. ;)

Have a look at the trails on

http://www.rr4w.com/

Then have a look at the ratings.  Out mountain biking, especially during Jeep Week, I've seen units on some of the 7 - 10 trails.  They are not kidding about rollovers.  When one of them goes over, the others run out a fretwork of winch straps, and somebody starts giving the orders.  In a minute, it topples back over into just the position it should have been in when it tried the problem.  They are also, in the ratings, not kidding about required equipment, and about having some driving skills.  When you meet them out on the rock, even if you are one of the self-reported good drivers that 90% of us claim to be, you will see skill you never imagined.  Because I have to confess - they bring this up repeatedly - that I have low tolerance for body damage, and because I am clearly not the hotshit driver I thought I was, I am limited to class 4 or maybe on a good, lucky day, 5. 

So, one possibility during the meet-up is a 4-wheeler SIG.  Another is to gather some people and rent road lice (UTVs), or if there are doubts, do a group UTV trip with a paid guide.  My swedish rels did this and were so excited and happy afterward that they could hardly settle down. 

October is usually thought too late, but lots of times there is wonderful hot weather then, and a raft trip on the Daily section of the Colorado would be another possibility.

breadbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »
I spend the week of Thanksgiving in/near Moab every year to go climbing, it's a magical place. Always stay at the BLM campsites out in Indian Creek (take 191 out of town and bang a right on 211 til you see turnoffs for campgrounds). There are multiple large group sites, and they're stunning. Many are free.

https://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/monticello/recreation/activities/camping/Indian_Creek_Camping.html

Maybe I'll make the November pilgrimage a little early in 2018. :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2016, 05:49:00 PM »
I probably drove right past you last week!  I arrived at Canyonlands on Sunday and left on Thursday.  Hope you enjoyed your week of climbing!

breadbiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2016, 01:56:55 PM »
Awesome! Stop by our dirtbag campfire next time! Hope you enjoyed Canyonlands -- hiking in there is unreal. Hope you didn't get rained on too bad on Monday.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2016, 04:45:46 PM »
Pencil me in!  I won't know for sure until a year from January if I can make it, but it sounds like fun.  I live in northern Utah and haven't been to Arches or the surrounding parks since I was a kid.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »
Awesome! Stop by our dirtbag campfire next time! Hope you enjoyed Canyonlands -- hiking in there is unreal. Hope you didn't get rained on too bad on Monday.

Whereabouts do you camp?  I saw lots of climber/camper groups along the way.  BTW, the climbing you all do is crazy amazing!!!  Probably the most "technical" climb I have done is Pilot Knob in the San Juan mountains.  I have lots of help from experts, thank goodness!

Yeah, that storm was something.  I was snug in my camper, so I was fine.  Hope you also had decent shelter!

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2017, 11:28:40 AM »
I was in Canyonlands in 2013 and rented a jeep.

I can't wait to go back.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2017, 11:31:51 AM »
I was in Canyonlands in 2013 and rented a jeep.

I can't wait to go back.

My Tacoma just informed me that it NEEDS to go there.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
Thanks @RetireInCanada for showing me this
I am in for the 2018 but really hope this has a "test run" in 2017
I explored the entire region by myself in Fall of 2015, I went in November and had the entire place to myself.
As being an MMM I documented the full trip and how much I spent :)
http://www.chrisistace.com/2016/01/02/going-for-it-a-solo-adventure/

Would love to head down there with you guys ! I'll bring the bike this time but I love hiking as well. I hiked into every arch in the park.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2017, 11:20:21 AM »
Thanks @RetireInCanada for showing me this
I am in for the 2018 but really hope this has a "test run" in 2017

I'll be down in the SW desert in 7 - 21 Oct 2017, but I'll be heading towards Gooseberry Mesa/Sedona/Prescott.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2017, 12:18:14 PM »
I will still be working in October 2017, but I could be in the Moab area on weekends (except for 10/7 and 10/21).  I can't wait to see red rocks again--it's been a loooooog winter!

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »
My son and I took a trip to the area last summer.  Here is the map I made with potential activities ( mostly hiking and national parks, monuments, etc... ).  We spent a bit of time in Moab and it was great!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CNQcPazvrNZLkDJndQHu4er2sYM&usp=sharing

Thought it might help some of you as far as planning goes. I spent a LOT of time on it.

Edit : I also threw some pictures up on the map above. 

By the way, this was a GREAT route!  I want to go back soon because we didn't have nearly enough time to see everything! 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 01:38:41 PM by farmecologist »

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2017, 12:48:13 PM »
P2F. Just maybe.

I love Arches. Visited in Sep couple years ago. Was crowded but still wonderful, if you can rise early.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2017, 01:07:35 PM »
P2F. Just maybe.

I love Arches. Visited in Sep couple years ago. Was crowded but still wonderful, if you can rise early.

Arches will probably be the most crowded park in the area.  It was a zoo when we were there. 

If you can make it out to some of the more out of the way sites in the area, the crowds were negligible, even in peak season.  When I say 'area'..I mean the general SE Utah area....not Moab area.

Some that come to mind are Natural Bridges National Monument, Navajo National Monument, Hovenweep Monument, etc...

One thing to absolutely avoid is Four Corners....they have turned it into a ridiculously bad tourist trap ( 5$ per person ).  Just look it up on TripAdvisor...and you will learn all you need to know.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2017, 01:25:28 PM »
Yes Arches was packed to the gills last Oct and every other amazing spot in the Moab area we went to had tons of space/room. In most cases once we got a short distance away from the parking lot we were alone.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2017, 08:14:29 PM »
If you can make it out to some of the more out of the way sites in the area, the crowds were negligible, even in peak season.  When I say 'area'..I mean the general SE Utah area....not Moab area.

Some that come to mind are Natural Bridges National Monument, Navajo National Monument, Hovenweep Monument, etc...

Goblin Valley State Park is pretty strange place worth a stop, but one of the most beautiful and seldom-visited slot canyons in Utah is at the same location: Little Wild Horse Canyon.  I highly recommend a hike there.   Ap

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2017, 08:40:59 AM »

Goblin Valley State Park is pretty strange place worth a stop, but one of the most beautiful and seldom-visited slot canyons in Utah is at the same location: Little Wild Horse Canyon.  I highly recommend a hike there.   Ap

Thanks for the tip!  I saved it off in Google Maps.   However, looking at the satellite view on Google maps, it looks like the word must be out.  Lots of cars in the parking lot!   It must have been peak season.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »
Remember nowadays we have lazy tourists....parking lots may be full but they rarely venture anywhere that takes any real effort :)

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2017, 09:25:27 AM »
Definitely interested. DH and I should be retired by then. Heading there for vacation this weekend actually...We will see how crowded Arches is. If its too bad, we will go straight to Canyonlands. :)

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
A MMM meet up and mtn biking in Moab.  Sounds fantastic!  Would love to come but can't commit yet.  We have learned the hard way that when kids hit jr high they can't miss weeks or months of school roaming with the family.  Drat.  Freedom is curtailed for a few years.

jordanread

« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2017, 07:39:25 AM »
Definitely interested. Down for 2017 and 2018 as of right now. 2017 would have to be before or after CMC.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2017, 08:06:27 AM »
Posting to follow, hard to say what Fall 2018 will bring yet!

I'd be torn between flying and renting everything vs. trying to make the drive to bring my Mountain bike and camping stuff.

Either way Mtn biking in Moab has been on my bucket list for 20 years so it'd be cool to do it and meet a bunch of Forum folk in the process :)

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2017, 08:50:39 AM »
I just drove through Moab and this place looks amazing!  I am in for 2018 and conditional on the exact dates, I would likely do 2017 as well.  Mountain biking looks really good in the area, but it's rock climbing that is likely to get all my attention for the first few times over there.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2017, 09:05:49 AM »
I may have lost track of the dates.....did we pick specific dates for this meet up? If not can we at least nail it down to a specific week in Oct 2018? I need to plan ahead to make a trip that far happen and I suspect others will also.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2017, 04:52:31 PM »
I think Ninety Four the OP is taking a bit if a break from the forums so not sure if this meet up will still go as planned. I'd be interested if it happens but can't make plans that far ahead. I can barely commit to plan a week or day from now ;-).

I'll be in Moab mountain biking one way or the other so I am cool to do a Meet Up regardless of what 94 decides to do.

Unless someone has a better idea how about we shoot for 19-22 Oct 2018? That's 4 days over a weekend. If 94 gets back on the forums in next few months and wants to change to a different date that's fine and if not those of us keen on Moab have a date to shoot for when it's time to carve out holidays and make travel plans.

SEAK

• Stubble
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2017, 04:21:58 PM »
Another great group spot in the Moab area are the three yurts at Dead Horse Point State Park. Better than a hotel and away from the madness of downtown Moab. We stayed there last October before our canoe trip down the Green River. Great spot!

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/the-yurts-at-dead-horse-point/

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2017, 06:47:50 PM »
If you are 90%+ certain of coming to this meet up copy this list, add your name and post it again. That way we know who to talk to about planning details and what our group numbers look like.

- Retire Canada

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2017, 08:03:02 PM »
- Retire Canada
-Caoineag

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2017, 10:02:11 PM »
- Retire Canada
- Caoineag
-  Financial Ascensionist

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »
I am definitely interested, but we cannot plan that far out.
I am posting to stay in the loop though.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2017, 10:21:15 PM »
If you are 90%+ certain of coming to this meet up copy this list, add your name and post it again. That way we know who to talk to about planning details and what our group numbers look like.

- Retire Canada

Is this list you are talking about for 2017 or 2018? :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2017, 11:28:21 PM »

+1.

90% is a high number.

I'm not 90% sure where I'll be staying tomorrow, let alone next year!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2017, 11:37:34 PM »

+1.

90% is a high number.

Agreed. 
Perhaps we could indicate "the probability" of our attendance (based on what we know today). 
Obviously that probability would change over time, but it would at least be an indication of interest.

avrex

• Bristles
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2017, 11:42:00 PM »
The following have expressed their intention to attend the event,
"Oct 19-22, 2018 - Moab, Utah"

- Retire Canada
- Caoineag
- Financial Ascensionist
- avrex (60% probability)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 11:45:02 PM by avrex »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2017, 06:17:49 AM »
90% is a high number.

That high number is intentional. I organize a lot of events and tons of people want to get involved in planning a trip like this while far fewer actually go. It sucks to end up in Moab at campground X that people lobbied for who didn't follow through and attend. While realizing everyone who showed up prefered another option.

If you are not sure you are coming it's okay not to be on that list until you are. No harm is done. It just let's those of use who are quite confident we are going know who to listen to as plans are discussed vs. suggestions thrown out by folks who are not [at least at this point] coming.

There are no extra points awarded for being on the list early. If you are not fairly sure you are coming what's the point of putting your name on the list??? Following this thread and commenting on the event is essentially the "I'm not sure if I am going, but I am interested" list.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 07:39:30 AM by Retire-Canada »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »
Makes a lot of sense.  Good idea, RC.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »
Breaking my forum silence to post here...  :)

- Retire Canada
- Caoineag
- Financial Ascensionist
- NinetyFour (100% chance--unless I am on crutches)

For anyone wanting to do a trial run in October 2017, be aware that there is construction in Arches.  The campground there is closed through November 2017.

The group campsite in the Squaw Flat CG in Canyonlands (Needles district) is not available any weekend in October or November (2017).

If folks have other suggestions for a place to convene in October 2017, I'd be game (except for the weekend of Camp Mustache Canada (October 21).

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »

- Retire Canada
- Caoineag
- Financial Ascensionist

For anyone wanting to do a trial run in October 2017, be aware that there is construction in Arches.  The campground there is closed through November 2017.

The group campsite in the Squaw Flat CG in Canyonlands (Needles district) is not available any weekend in October or November (2017).

If folks have other suggestions for a place to convene in October 2017, I'd be game (except for the weekend of Camp Mustache Canada (October 21).

Do you want to book that group campsite for the 2018 dates 94?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »

- Retire Canada
- Caoineag
- Financial Ascensionist

Do you want to book that group campsite for the 2018 dates 94?

I'm happy to do that if that's where people want to be.  As you might know, RC, this particular CG is a good hour (or maybe even 90 minutes) away from Moab.

Also, I can't reserve it until April 2018 (6 months prior to our event).

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2017, 12:38:49 PM »
I'm happy to do that if that's where people want to be.  As you might know, RC, this particular CG is a good hour (or maybe even 90 minutes) away from Moab.

Also, I can't reserve it until April 2018 (6 months prior to our event).

Sorry I meant the one in Arches. When can we book that group site?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »
Oh, OK. 

It looks like I can book that 1 year in advance.  I will make a note on my calendar!  :)

I guess there are 2 group campsites at Arches:  Canyon Wren and Juniper.  I believe Juniper gets a bit more shade (I could be wrong), but other than that, I don't know them well enough to have a preference.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2017, 12:50:03 PM »
Oh, OK. 

It looks like I can book that 1 year in advance.  I will make a note on my calendar!  :)

I guess there are 2 group campsites at Arches:  Canyon Wren and Juniper.  I believe Juniper gets a bit more shade (I could be wrong), but other than that, I don't know them well enough to have a preference.

Unless someone else who is planning on attending has a preference between those or wants to suggest a different location I am good with you picking. Do you need deposits from people who are coming to make the reservation or are you okay to collect money on site at the event?

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2017, 12:56:05 PM »
Man it would be nerveracking to be around a bunch of Mustachians in a way. I'd feel the need to explain how I had gotten everything I was wearing on sale and how I had brewed the ethanol to power the car to get to Moab myself.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!