Author Topic: MOAB Meetup Oct 8 - 14, 2021  (Read 15496 times)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
MOAB Meetup Oct 8 - 14, 2021
« on: June 16, 2021, 05:33:52 PM »
UPDATE:

We are going to try to make this happen!  We’ll be using the same campground that we did in 2018 and 2019: 

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/west/utah/canyonlands-rv-resort-campground/

This is purely a social meetup, though occasional impromptu mustachian discussions may occur!  Hikes, bike rides, and padldle boarding embarrassments will organically happen...and might even be planned (usually the night before!).  Evening campfires always happen.  😊

If staying at the campground is not your thing, there are tons of hotels in Moab.  Be sure to come over to the campground for campfires, though!

Let me know if you have questions!!

Posting a couple pics to whet your appetite for some red rock hiking...

« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 10:12:02 AM by NinetyFour »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: MOAB Meetup 2021???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 09:08:43 AM »
Moonpie and I are interested. We were planning to fly to Vegas last year, rent a camper van and drive to meetup. Unfortunately... Covid. We'd like to try again this year.

If anyone is hesitating, the food at Miguel's is worth the trip!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 10:26:09 AM »
I'm planning to be there.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 01:03:25 PM »
Thanks for signaling me out or I may have missed this.

I'm already committed in mid October to bike across South Carolina. My sister lives there and we are planning to join the cycling/camping  event.

Maybe next time!

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 01:46:39 PM »
Sounds good to me!

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 03:01:50 PM »
Just thought I'd throw this idea out into the atmosphere to see what happens...

Right now it's 109 degrees in Moab, but surely it won't be that scorching hot in, say, mid-to-late October.  Anybody want to meet up?

Funny my brother in law and I were just talking today about road trips in the Summer and wondering if the southern routes were even feasible/fun...109 sounds rough

Bat signaling a few folks....
@Longwaytogo

Thanks for the bat signal :)

Can't believe it was way back in 2018 when we met up out there! And I was'nt even part of the "official" meetup but it was fun hanging out with you and Retire Canada. Plus meeting a couple others at dinner.

Unfortunately my 2021 travel slate is pretty jam packed (well fortunately for me...less so for the odds of me making this meetup :P). So I don't think I could swing it this year.

But I hope some of you guys can get together and make it happen. It's awesome out there!!

We did make it out to Sedona AZ to bike a few days in March, that was pretty sweet too!!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 04:02:49 PM »
Thanks for the bat signal! I will be fully immunised by then, but almost certainly Australia's borders will still be closed :( .  I don't think we'll be re-opening until sometime in 2022.
If it goes ahead, I will need photos!

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:47 PM »
Ooooh I love the idea of heading to Moab again. We will have to watch the travel/border situation but I will keep it in mind!

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2021, 05:56:33 AM »
October sounds like a good time of year.  I'll mention it to DW.  She's been wanting to visit Moab again. 

Thanks for the heads up.  :)

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:52 AM »
Mentioned on another thread, I can bring a couple of tents and hammocks, tarps, and stands.  With a decent sleeping bag and underneath insulation hammocks are warm enough for camping.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 01:02:34 PM »
I'd come if it was in November! ...and borders are open, of course...

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »
This is relevant to my interests! @NinetyFour , I assume this campground can accommodate YourRig, do you think I could get there in my Honda Fit? If yes, then I'd sleep in the car. Less gear & set up! :)

My attendance would depend on actual dates.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2021, 04:45:18 PM »
This is relevant to my interests! @NinetyFour , I assume this campground can accommodate YourRig, do you think I could get there in my Honda Fit? If yes, then I'd sleep in the car. Less gear & set up! :)

My attendance would depend on actual dates.

Yes—absolutely your car would fit.  Even giant rigs use this campground. 

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2021, 04:46:13 PM »
I have camped and slept in my Mazda 3 when I've been to these get togethers there.  Just get a tent site.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2021, 05:00:46 PM »
This is the campground we have used in years past:

https://www.sunrvresorts.com/resorts/west/utah/canyonlands-rv-resort-campground/?utm_source=yext&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=yext?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=yext

Those who enjoy camping “away from it all” will need to adjust their expectations.  As I mentioned above, it is right in town.  But it does have the advantages of bring close to stores and restaurants.  Also, if travelers would prefer to stay in hotels, that is certainly an option.  There are approximately a million hotels in Moab.  People can meet wherever for hikes, bike rides, etc. and visit the campground for evening campfires.

As far as dates.....I think late October works well weather-wise.  Early November *might* work, but I’d hate to get snowed out.  And I’d like to avoid the times when a zillion Utah school kids are on Fall Break.  As far as I could tell the last time I looked online, it seems that the Salt Lake schools have their break around the weekend of Oct 16 (Thurs-Mon?) but the kids in Moab are on their break around the weekend of Oct 23.  So......?

Also, I haven’t even contacted the campground yet about availability, since I was initially just gauging interest.  But now that Fish Dude might be coming, I better start figuring out some details!  And locating lots of Jiffy Cornbread mix!!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2021, 07:46:27 PM »
We are still "stuck" in Mexico but without our van, we couldn't drive across the Canada-US border so we decided to get out of Dodge while we could. Now planning to fly back to Calgary on November 1, pack up whatever we have left in our condo so my daughter can move in, then if the border opens up, drive back to Mexico and further south. Moab is on our usual itinerary so if we miss the meetup but some of you are still in the area, we would love to meet up.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 08:16:27 PM »
Please add @Dicey to the list. We usually head to Colorado in the shoulder seasons, so this would be a great stop on the return journey.

I'd vote for earlier in October, before the school fall breaks, but I'm sure availability will be the key.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2021, 11:42:05 AM »
I just looked at a bunch of Utah school calendars and it looks like the majority of the counties will be on Fall Break October 14 - 17.  But some (like Emery County, where Moab is located) will be on their break October 21 - 24. 

So.....now we need to decide between the weekend of October 9 and the weekend of October 30.  What say you, Moab enthusiasts???

In late October, snow flakes could be flying and nighttime temps could get into the 30s.  I think I would lean toward the weekend of Oct 9.  Also, we don't have to limit it to a weekend.  I would probably arrive early and stay late, so that I could hang with those who might arrive early as well as those who might arrive later.

I would love some more input about dates.  Thanks in advance!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2021, 12:14:55 PM »
Hmm. Both those dates might pose challenges for us. October 9 I believe overlaps with a family visit to our area, so we would have to arrive late. October 30... snow?! I don't do snow. So I guess we would have to make the 9th work.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2021, 12:26:15 PM »
Hmm. Both those dates might pose challenges for us. October 9 I believe overlaps with a family visit to our area, so we would have to arrive late. October 30... snow?! I don't do snow. So I guess we would have to make the 9th work.

Oof.

It's hard to know how many people who are interested in this meetup would be limited to weekends.  If that's not really an issue, then we could schedule it for something like Oct 10 - 14.  Would that work a bit better for you and Moonpie?  Some people might choose to arrive on the 8th or 9th (I might even arrive on the 7th).

Another alternative would be something like Oct 17 - 20, sandwiched in between the two weekends that will probably be super busy.  However, if people wanted to arrive early (15th or 16th), I think they'd find a jampacked Moab and a crazy busy Arches NP.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2021, 01:37:32 PM »
Early October is far less risky, so that's my vote. How many times can I vote? Can I use my post count? It oughtta be good for something, lol.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2021, 02:51:04 PM »
Early October is far less risky, so that's my vote. How many times can I vote? Can I use my post count? It oughtta be good for something, lol.

I agree, though the beginning of October can still be pretty hot.  I’d prefer that the temps cool off enough at night that a campfire is appealing.

So something like Oct 8 through 14 (or some chunk of that) would work for you, @Dicey ?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2021, 03:37:06 PM »

I agree, though the beginning of October can still be pretty hot.  I’d prefer that the temps cool off enough at night that a campfire is appealing.

So something like Oct 8 through 14 (or some chunk of that) would work for you, @Dicey ?
We go to CO in the shoulder seasons, because we're not fond of high-life resort towns in peak seasons. We love the quiet times. Our availability in the first half of the October is pretty flexible.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »

We go to CO in the shoulder seasons, because we're not fond of high-life resort towns in peak seasons. We love the quiet times. Our availability in the first half of the October is pretty flexible.

OK—sounds good.  Thanks.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2021, 03:11:40 PM »

Not Dicey, but that time frame would work better than the Oct 30 weekend. Probably wouldn't be able to stay the whole time.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2021, 08:13:34 PM »
I'm scheduled to be in KY the last week of September.  I may time things so I come home through Moab.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2021, 05:49:51 PM »
I booked a “deluxe tent site” for Oct 6 - 14.  I might not end up being there that whole time—will depend on others’ plans.

If you are interested at all in this meetup, I suggest that you make your reservation soon.  The campground has a very generous cancellation policy.  Better to get something now and cancel later if you need to.  (Of course, don’t just take my word for it—you should totally check the policy!)

Hope we get a good turnout and fantastic weather this year!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2021, 06:45:48 PM »
I booked a “deluxe tent site” for Oct 6 - 14.  I might not end up being there that whole time—will depend on others’ plans.

If you are interested at all in this meetup, I suggest that you make your reservation soon.  The campground has a very generous cancellation policy.  Better to get something now and cancel later if you need to.  (Of course, don’t just take my word for it—you should totally check the policy!)

Sorry, are the campground details somewhere really obvious?

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2021, 09:41:14 PM »

Sorry, are the campground details somewhere really obvious?

@Dicey They are in reply #15 in this thread.

@NinetyFour maybe add the link to the first post so it's easy to find, as the thread grows longer?

ToTheMoon

• Pencil Stache
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 09:49:06 PM by ToTheMoon »

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: MOAB Meetup Oct 6 - 14....or thereabouts!
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2021, 11:00:01 PM »
Thank you for the link again, TTM!

Thanks updated the first post—good suggestion, oneday!

Sorry I am not very organized this time around.  As I am doing the nomad thing right now, I am not always at a keyboard with internet!  😊

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2021, 07:40:17 AM »
I really hate to say this, but I think we're out for this year :(

I got the finalized dates for a family visit in early October and there's just too much overlap for us to make it out. Plus, I still have to w*rk.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »
Oh man. There will be other awesome people there, but...I'm a bit bummed, LifeHappens.

I've booked a site. Talked to TA, he may join us. Seems a bit early to ask for days off work, but maybe better to claim the days now before someone else does.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
Oh man. There will be other awesome people there, but...I'm a bit bummed, LifeHappens.
I'm bummed too. :( I need to FIRE so I can DO ALL THE THINGS!!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
OMG, DH said YES! I admit, I really wasn't expecting that! He's kind of an introvert. We're looking at Oct. 11-14. There's no way we can get there any earlier. Now, to book some reservations. Any tips/suggestions welcome.

@NinetyFour PM sent.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2021, 04:31:01 PM »
OMG, DH said YES! I admit, I really wasn't expecting that! He's kind of an introvert. We're looking at Oct. 11-14. There's no way we can get there any earlier. Now, to book some reservations. Any tips/suggestions welcome.

@NinetyFour PM sent.

Great!!

I just responded to your PM.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2021, 04:32:38 PM »
I really hate to say this, but I think we're out for this year :(

I got the finalized dates for a family visit in early October and there's just too much overlap for us to make it out. Plus, I still have to w*rk.

WAAAAAAAAH!!!

Very sad face.  😩😭

But I understand.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2021, 04:39:54 PM »

I've booked a site. Talked to TA, he may join us. Seems a bit early to ask for days off work, but maybe better to claim the days now before someone else does.

Glad to hear that you booked a site, @oneday !!  It will be so fun to see you again!  And it would be great if TA is able to join us also!

Those of you who are planning to attend, feel free to drop a link to this thread in your journals—it could be that some readers of your journals never look at the Meetup threads and might miss this opportunity.  Thanks!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2021, 09:48:27 PM »

NinetyFour PM sent.

Squee! Now I'm re-thinking what my travel plans could be like...maybe shifed back a few days so I can overlap with you!

NinetyFour, good idea. I will put something in my signature, too.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2021, 10:01:56 PM »
Okay, it's done. In on the 11th, out on the 14th. Looking forward to this!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2021, 11:03:50 PM »
Just saw this, and am going to see if DH and I might come.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2021, 05:22:45 AM »

NinetyFour PM sent.

Squee! Now I'm re-thinking what my travel plans could be like...maybe shifed back a few days so I can overlap with you!

NinetyFour, good idea. I will put something in my signature, too.

Thanks for helping to advertise!

Awesome!!

That would be great!!!

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2021, 04:49:54 PM »

Exciting!

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2021, 05:39:13 PM »
OK, @NinetyFour @oneday, @Dicey, just booked a cabin in the camp you folks chose, for October 8, 9 and 10.  We'd fly in to Salt Lake City or Grand Junction on Oct. 7, and leave on the 11th.

Don't have DH's agreement yet, but figured I'd book it; it is refundable if we need to change plans, or he decides he needs a hotel, etc.  (We are not campers!  Although he used to be one.)

I'm excited!  Hope this works out.  It is rare for us to travel somewhere not for work and not to see family. 

This will give me some incentive to really work on my feet before then, so I can do some walking. . . .  The views look amazing. 

Embok

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2021, 10:47:00 PM »
OK, @NinetyFour @oneday, @Dicey, just booked a cabin in the camp you folks chose, for October 8, 9 and 10.  We'd fly in to Salt Lake City or Grand Junction on Oct. 7, and leave on the 11th.

Don't have DH's agreement yet, but figured I'd book it; it is refundable if we need to change plans, or he decides he needs a hotel, etc.  (We are not campers!  Although he used to be one.)

I'm excited!  Hope this works out.  It is rare for us to travel somewhere not for work and not to see family. 

This will give me some incentive to really work on my feet before then, so I can do some walking. . . .  The views look amazing. 

Embok

Awesome!!! Hope it works out—it would be great to see you again!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
Guess I should book my site.  Still not sure if I'll be in the motorhome or just the car.  Probably the car again.  That worked fine the previous time.  There is also the Lazy Lizard Hostel that is a couple of miles from the campground.  They have private rooms or dorm rooms.  Clean, interesting people, usual hostel stuff.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2021, 07:05:37 PM »

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to change my dates a little bit to overlap both you and Embok. This is hard! I might miss someone.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2021, 08:51:24 PM »

Hmm, I think I'm going to have to change my dates a little bit to overlap both you and Embok. This is hard! I might miss someone.

:D

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2021, 12:35:28 PM »

:D

New reservation is Oct 9-12 :D