Author Topic: Melburnian Mustachians? (Australia)  (Read 91306 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Melburnian Mustachians? (Australia)
« Reply #300 on: July 08, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »
Yes! When and where? How long will you be in town for?

Yay!

We will be here (or close-ish, in a town called Romsey) until mid-August, but have some stuff going on in August, so preferably before August 4th.

As for as when/where (time).. Literally anywhere/anytime.  Our schedules are wide open for July.  :)

A general "Mustachian" meetup to get together and chat with a big group would be fun, but getting even more specific, in addition the wife and I really enjoy board games and/or card games.  If anyone else does, and would be willing to host, we'd be happy to order some takeout (delivery..idk what you guys call it here) food if you're [the generic "you," not singling you out specifically, kaetana] would be willing to host us for an evening of games!  (We love Pinochle for card games, but play most anything, and play many board games, Dominion being a recent fav, but up for learning anything too.  Also we've been wanting to learn to play D&D, if there's a patient GM out there.)  We could also host, if you're willing to drive to Romsey and bring the game(s); Ali can cook.  :)

That aside, we're definitely interested in a general meetup (whether or not anyone is interested in a game night), so anyone interested please chime in!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #301 on: July 08, 2016, 03:29:49 AM »
I LOVE board games and have a whole bunch of them, including Dominion. I would also love to host, but I might live a bit too far away for others to want to come. I live in Wyndham Vale.

I'm happy to go somewhere and bring some games, but we're going to Thailand in the last two weeks of July and so I can pretty much only do next Saturday. Is that an issue for anyone?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: July 08, 2016, 03:44:26 AM »
I LOVE board games and have a whole bunch of them, including Dominion. I would also love to host, but I might live a bit too far away for others to want to come. I live in Wyndham Vale.

I'm happy to go somewhere and bring some games, but we're going to Thailand in the last two weeks of July and so I can pretty much only do next Saturday. Is that an issue for anyone?

Woo, I'm so glad I asked then, I almost didn't!

Next Saturday will work for us!

Maybe someone will volunteer to host, or we can do a more general "Meetup" on Saturday afternoon or evening and games the other time slot, if you can squeeze it?  Does your husband play games as well?

We're also available weekdays/weeknights and/or other weekends in July if anyone else is interested in games or meetups, or can't make next Saturday but still wants to do something another time.  :)

To be honest, we're a little isolated out here, and would love to hang out a many times as possible with people.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #303 on: July 08, 2016, 04:00:43 AM »

Woo, I'm so glad I asked then, I almost didn't!

Next Saturday will work for us!

Maybe someone will volunteer to host, or we can do a more general "Meetup" on Saturday afternoon or evening and games the other time slot, if you can squeeze it?  Does your husband play games as well?

We're also available weekdays/weeknights and/or other weekends in July if anyone else is interested in games or meetups, or can't make next Saturday but still wants to do something another time.  :)

To be honest, we're a little isolated out here, and would love to hang out a many times as possible with people.  ;)

In that case, what are you guys doing this weekend? :) My husband isn't as fanatic as I am about games, but he does play a few games (mainly cooperative ones).

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #304 on: July 08, 2016, 04:04:22 AM »
In that case, what are you guys doing this weekend? :) My husband isn't as fanatic as I am about games, but he does play a few games (mainly cooperative ones).

:D  Sending PM.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #305 on: July 09, 2016, 02:31:18 AM »
Is that an issue for anyone?

Works OK for me, although it might be hard for some if there's no public transport out that way.

If not, I'm sure there's a bar in or near the city with board games. :)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2016, 03:12:58 AM »

Works OK for me, although it might be hard for some if there's no public transport out that way.

Hey Dean! Arebelspy and his wife actually came over today and we had lots of fun playing a board game! Not that I'm not happy to host again, but maybe we could meet in the city next week so that it's more central for everyone.

Not sure if it's quite warm enough for another time at the Botanical Gardens, although that was nice last time. I suppose we could go to a restaurant in Chinatown or something?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: July 09, 2016, 03:51:21 AM »

Hey Dean! Arebelspy and his wife actually came over today and we had lots of fun playing a board game! Not that I'm not happy to host again, but maybe we could meet in the city next week so that it's more central for everyone.

Not sure if it's quite warm enough for another time at the Botanical Gardens, although that was nice last time. I suppose we could go to a restaurant in Chinatown or something?
Yeah that'd work, or maybe a largish cafe with enough seating space (there's plenty of those around). Depends on the time of day, really. A cafe might work perfectly if everyone meets at 2pm or so, but not if it's later.

I agree that the CBD area works best given we have people from all around the place.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 05:08:08 AM by alsoknownasDean »

potm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #308 on: July 09, 2016, 04:32:19 AM »
I'm also going overseas for the last 2 weeks of July. Would have loved a chance to meet you arbelspy.
There's a boardgames meetup event this Wesneday evening near the city.

http://meetu.ps/e/BDmjT/9r8TY/a

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: July 09, 2016, 05:23:36 PM »
I'm also going overseas for the last 2 weeks of July. Would have loved a chance to meet you arbelspy.
There's a boardgames meetup event this Wesneday evening near the city.

http://meetu.ps/e/BDmjT/9r8TY/a

Hmm.. that's somewhat tempting.  Thanks for the heads up!  :D

As for next Saturday, the 16th, we're up for whatever/wherever, as long as there's (preferably free) parking, (or perhaps we can park somewhere nearby and carpool with someone into the city?).  :)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #310 on: July 09, 2016, 06:15:14 PM »
As for next Saturday, the 16th, we're up for whatever/wherever, as long as there's (preferably free) parking, (or perhaps we can park somewhere nearby and carpool with someone into the city?).  :)

You can also take the train into the city. I never drive in - I hate driving in the city and don't want to pay parking. Maybe you could drive to the nearest train station and take the train the rest of the way in? http://ptv.vic.gov.au/ will show you which train(s) to catch.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #311 on: July 13, 2016, 04:55:47 AM »
Hey arebelspy, we've been talking about this in the Melbourne Whatsapp group. A few suggestions for a venue that have come up are the NGV, Seven Seeds, and Auction Rooms. Happy with any of those. Any preference? In any case, I'm still game for Saturday!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #312 on: July 14, 2016, 12:40:27 AM »
Any of those are fine.  :)

What time were you all thinking?

If we're doing something in the main part of the city (where there's no parking), we'll probably drive to Gisborne and take the train into Southern Cross station, per your suggestion above.

Is anyone else interested besides AKADean?  If not, we could always meet at your house again, if you're willing to host again.  :)

Sounds like that works for him too?

Or are there other people on the Whatsapp that haven't chimed in here?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 12:43:12 AM by arebelspy »

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #313 on: July 14, 2016, 05:17:14 AM »
Or are there other people on the Whatsapp that haven't chimed in here?

Yes, Thrax, andystkilda, and their wives (and possibly their kids) want to come too. Maybe meet at NGV, and then grab a bite somewhere later if we want to?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #314 on: July 14, 2016, 04:10:10 PM »
Sure!  Maybe we can take the free tram up to Chinatown for lunch or dinner, depending on the time.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
Anything ever get decided for this?  :)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2016, 04:02:27 PM »
Anything ever get decided for this?  :)

Yes, NGV at 2pm! see you there!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »
Roger!

andystkilda

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
Hey guys - not sure if anyone will see this but kids decided they want to nap now so we're still at home... Also I forgot my phone somewhere so don't have access to Watsapp right now.
Will hopefully be able to leave soon and if so will check where everyone's at then.
Cheers

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #319 on: July 21, 2016, 06:30:37 AM »
How was your meet up? I didn't see this until much too late :(

Arebelspy  (and anyone else) me and hubby would be happy to host at our small house, maybe a weekend arvo BBQ? The only games we have are Cards Against Humanity and Monopoly but my hubby is a home brewer and I think has two different brews ready to go he'd be happy to share.

I live out in the west, same area as kaetana although we have not yet met up!

We are free as birds this weekend and next if anyone is keen?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #320 on: July 21, 2016, 04:17:42 PM »

Arebelspy  (and anyone else) me and hubby would be happy to host at our small house, maybe a weekend arvo BBQ? The only games we have are Cards Against Humanity and Monopoly but my hubby is a home brewer and I think has two different brews ready to go he'd be happy to share.

Meetup was great!

Kaetana & her husband are on holiday in Chiang Mai for the next two weeks (they're back beginning of August I believe), so we could try to do something after they're back, or we could do it earlier--Ali & I are free either way.. whatever works best for you (and anyone else that wants to attend). :)

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #321 on: July 21, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »

Meetup was great!

Kaetana & her husband are on holiday in Chiang Mai for the next two weeks (they're back beginning of August I believe), so we could try to do something after they're back, or we could do it earlier--Ali & I are free either way.. whatever works best for you (and anyone else that wants to attend). :)

If you want to come for a BBQ this weekend arebelspy feel free to let me know. And then maybe we could try another meetup beginning of August for anyone that wants to attend?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #322 on: July 22, 2016, 12:09:42 AM »
Cool! 

We're definitely up for doing something.  Where do you live?

Also we can host, if you guys want to drive and have us cook. We're in Romsey.

Trouble

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #323 on: July 22, 2016, 01:06:55 AM »
We live in Hoppers Crossing. Did you want to meet up Saturday or Sunday?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #324 on: July 22, 2016, 01:24:42 AM »
Sent PM!

mikey88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2016, 02:06:57 AM »
*bump*.
New member here, living in the eastern suburbs but work in the CBD.
Thought i'd say hi.

MattyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #326 on: September 13, 2016, 04:00:46 AM »
*bump2*
New member living in inner Western suburbs, wanting to say hello and keen on any upcoming meet-ups!

Matt

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #327 on: September 14, 2016, 03:08:19 AM »
Reporting.

Shaun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #328 on: September 14, 2016, 03:11:59 AM »
Long time reader, first-time poster reporting in from outer west.

syednaeemul

• Stubble
« Reply #329 on: September 19, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »
I've moved out of the CBD and am now at Wyndham Vale (Werribee side).

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #330 on: September 19, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »
On Saturday I will be waiting for someone to arrive at the airport at 1pm, so I could have a meetup with people at the park where people wait and watch the planes (cnr Sunbury Road and Oaklands Road Bulla) for a couple of hours prior to this (or at somewhere close like Bulla or Woodlands Reserve, or the Alister Clark Rose Garden). Would anyone be interested in a meetup there?

Oz_FIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #331 on: September 22, 2016, 07:11:26 PM »
Hi fellow Melburnians! I've been reading MMM for a while now and this is my first post! I live in the CBD and would be keen to meet fellow mustachians!

Hagrud

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #332 on: October 15, 2016, 12:54:47 AM »
Fellow melbournite checking in, would be interested in meeting up in Melbourne or inner suburbs at some point. Checking the recent usernames in here I realise I already know Kyle, hello!

Reporting.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: November 01, 2016, 04:54:41 AM »
If we're going to have a meetup again before Christmas, we might need to organise it soon :)

mikey88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2016, 03:50:46 PM »
Hi,
Any interest to meet up in early December?
Don't mind a beer or a coffee on a friday night in the City.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #335 on: November 25, 2016, 01:00:19 PM »
If any of you want to come up to Canberra, we're thinking of doing something special in February - see the Canberra thread - http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/canberra/msg1316320/#new

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2016, 02:03:58 AM »
Bumping this--we're flying into Melbourne on Jan. 12.

I don't know how long we'll be there, or where we're staying, or where we'll head next.

It was just the cheapest flight from SE Asia, so it seemed like a good stopping point to see either Sydney or NZ.  Also I won't lie, the delicious Chinatown calls to us.

Anyone up for a meetup Saturday, Jan. 14?  :)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2016, 06:35:17 PM »
I can't on the 14th! :( How about the 15th? Maybe the Botanical Gardens or the NGV would be good again? Also free on the next weekend if you guys are still around then.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: January 09, 2017, 06:15:00 PM »
I'm busy most of the 14th and can't make it on the 15th.

What about the Friday?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #339 on: January 09, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »
I'm busy most of the 14th and can't make it on the 15th.

What about the Friday?

Works for us!

Dinner meetup this Friday the 13th at 5:30pm at...  (someone name a restaurant?).

:)

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #340 on: January 09, 2017, 07:26:29 PM »
Works for us!

Dinner meetup this Friday the 13th at 5:30pm at...  (someone name a restaurant?).

I'll be there as well (possibly with the hubby)! Shall we just go for a wander down Chinatown?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2017, 03:53:14 AM »
Works for us!

I'll be there as well (possibrly with the hubby)! Shall we just go for a wander down Chinatown?

Yeah I reckon. Where should we meet up then?

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2017, 08:41:24 PM »

Flinders? Or Corner of Little Bourke and Swanston?

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »

Flinders? Or Corner of Little Bourke and Swanston?

Flinders works. It's out of the rain at least :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
Great!  We'll be at Flinders Street Station at 5:30 (or a bit before)!

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #345 on: January 13, 2017, 03:37:23 AM »
It was great catching up again (and that dessert place was an omen). :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #346 on: January 13, 2017, 05:17:17 AM »
Haha, yeah that worked out great. :)

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: January 13, 2017, 05:51:07 AM »
They have mustaches on the coffee cups too :)

http://www.weekendnotes.com/sweetie-moustache-dessert-lounge/

kjulez_83

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2017, 04:42:49 AM »
Hello, I am reviving this thread as I just discovered it existed through the Mustachians Australia FB page! I couldn't find this because I was searching for Melbourne, but the subject is Melburnian!!

On the FB page I think there were 2 other people interested in a Melbourne catch up, add me - I'm wondering if anyone is interested in another catch up soon, I would love to meet some other Mustachians in person!! When I say soon, who knows how long it would take to get something off the ground, so I thought might as well start gauging interest now?

Cheers :)

MattyG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #349 on: March 31, 2017, 06:48:36 PM »
Yes :)