Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023  (Read 35823 times)

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2023, 03:54:34 PM »
If the first night I sleep like shit with my tent/ cot+ mattress, etc., I've got MONEY. 

Still have empty beds in La Casa, just in case anyone doesn’t enjoy camping!

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2023, 06:54:45 PM »
EFB, we have a deal.  Don't try to wiggle out of it now.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: September 28, 2023, 12:51:43 PM »
We have 3 open days from leaving our Airbnb in Denver and the first day of the meetup. We're up in the air on plans. Originally we'd thought of driving through Salida-Gunnison-Montrose-Silverton. We did that two years ago though so it would not be a new experience. Still a beautiful drive though! We might come to Moab 3 days early. Not sure.

Anyone in the know have any suggestions for other stops between Denver and Moab?

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #453 on: September 28, 2023, 01:15:06 PM »
Hey @Exflyboy - you still up for spotting me on this?

https://youtu.be/eQAJVgdVN0Q?t=426

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2023, 02:37:21 PM »

Absolutely! I mentioned this to my Wife and she told me in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to use her new car...:)

It looks fun and something I have wanted to try out.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2023, 03:11:47 PM »
We have 3 open days from leaving our Airbnb in Denver and the first day of the meetup. We're up in the air on plans. Originally we'd thought of driving through Salida-Gunnison-Montrose-Silverton. We did that two years ago though so it would not be a new experience. Still a beautiful drive though! We might come to Moab 3 days early. Not sure.

Anyone in the know have any suggestions for other stops between Denver and Moab?

Uh, only the biggest city on the western slope; Grand Junction! Been my home for over a year now, although it feels like I've lived here for 15. Lots of Moab-y things to do here (hiking, biking, etc), plus a free room if you're looking for one and don't mind sharing a house with two toddlers.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2023, 06:46:09 PM »

Before last year's meetup, I spent a week in Paonia at a friend's place. It's a sweet little town, convenient to Black Canyon of Gunnison.

We also camped a night in Fruita. Great place for biking.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #457 on: September 28, 2023, 08:50:07 PM »

Absolutely! I mentioned this to my Wife and she told me in no uncertain terms that I was NOT to use her new car...:)

It looks fun and something I have wanted to try out.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for spotting services, should the opportunity present itself. In a previous life I got a tiny bit of experience 4x4ing in Colorado. Mostly I was amazed by a climbing partner's ability to get her jeep up a road I never would have tried, plus doing a drive myself in a Subaru that I thought was pretty tough and then finding a 1990's Honda Civic at the trailhead. ToTheMoon's DH would be the fellow to take I imagine.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #458 on: September 28, 2023, 09:44:15 PM »

Others will have suggestions, but be sure to take Baby Green to see the Breckenridge Troll.

Well be arriving in Moab on the 4th, FWIW.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: September 28, 2023, 10:57:23 PM »
Also @Exflyboy is planning to camp on BLM land, so he may have some thoughts.

Ummm.. nope crickets!

I don't even know where the BLM land is yet, but its somewhere near there I know that. I also have an SUV I intend to sleep in with decent ground clearance, so I should be good for a Walmart parking lot or a fairly rough off road trail and anything in-between..:)

no WM in Moab fyi
Most dispersed camping closer to town has a bit rougher roads and wasn't suitable for us. Might be ok in an SUV though.
With our camper we had good luck on La Salle Loop Rd, which is also slightly higher elevation.
That may be getting a bit chilly in October though and is a bit of a drive into town.

Some of the close to town BLM spots that used to be free, are paid areas now, so you might actually be better off with your shared tentsite ;)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: September 28, 2023, 11:02:00 PM »
@Exflyboy the popular BLM spots just north of Arches became Utahraptor State Park last year. Not sure if that's where you were thinking of camping. I think it's $15 a night there now. They're supposed to be developing some facilities like bathrooms but I'm not sure if that work is done yet.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: September 28, 2023, 11:05:41 PM »

If you are open to a little more detour, Crestone, Great Sand Dunes NP and then via Mesa Verde and  Canyon of the Ancients and Hovenweep to Moab.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: September 28, 2023, 11:50:58 PM »
@Exflyboy the popular BLM spots just north of Arches became Utahraptor State Park last year. Not sure if that's where you were thinking of camping. I think it's $15 a night there now. They're supposed to be developing some facilities like bathrooms but I'm not sure if that work is done yet.

Here is the website (which I have not read yet) that lists the free BLM camping spots.. Assuming its up to date of course.

I will rent @shadowmoss 's spare spot for a day or two while I figure out the free spots.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: September 29, 2023, 12:13:09 AM »
My current plan is to arrive in the afternoon on Saturday, October 7. I'll plan to leave on the 13th and aim to be near Richfield, UT on the 14th for the solar eclipse (I still have my eclipse viewing glass from 2017, and I plan to bring at least one extra).

I didn't get out on any group hikes last time but hope to this year. Four or five mountain bike rides are mandatory (Slick Rock and Captain Ahab for sure, others TBD). Campfires, greasy spoon breakfasts, ice cream socials - YES PLEASE! Maybe a SUP trip and a 4x4 bash would be fun too.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2023, 07:45:17 AM »

Here is the website (which I have not read yet) that lists the free BLM camping spots.. Assuming its up to date of course.

I will rent @shadowmoss 's spare spot for a day or two while I figure out the free spots.

Dude, you do you, but you are at a sub 1% SWR.  Maybe leave the free spots to people who are more financially constrained and give yourself the freedom to enjoy a beer or two around the campfire with your MMM peeps!  I'll buy the first round.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #465 on: September 29, 2023, 02:49:09 PM »
We are on the road, and half way to America already! Only another 20 hours to our layover in Denver. Can't wait to see everyone!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #466 on: September 29, 2023, 03:37:11 PM »
Brace yourselves, Le Poisson is "Coming to America"! This should be fun.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #467 on: September 29, 2023, 04:59:23 PM »
I posted to the What's App group but not sure everybody is on that yet.

Does anybody have an extra seat in a car heading back toward Denver (or even better, Longmont) on Oct 13?  I'd be happy to help pay for gas and even do some of the driving if it is a smaller car (not confident driving a big truck or RV).

If that doesn't work I could also use a ride as far as Green River, where I can get a bus to Denver (departs at around 11am).

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: September 29, 2023, 09:40:16 PM »
Looking like the plan is to close the national parks, lock gates, etc. The concern is a repeat of the kind of damage that was done to parks during the last shutdown. Sucks but I'd rather see the parks protected than trashed since people seem to have forgotten their manners.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #469 on: September 29, 2023, 10:00:42 PM »
Looking like the plan is to close the national parks, lock gates, etc. The concern is a repeat of the kind of damage that was done to parks during the last shutdown. Sucks but I'd rather see the parks protected than trashed since people seem to have forgotten their manners.
They absolutely should lock everything up tight.

As I mentioned before, there is plenty of non-federal land to explore in and around Moab.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: September 29, 2023, 10:35:45 PM »

Oooh, I have been wondering if there's something like a FB messenger chat or Whatsapp group for people that are actually attending.
I messaged you my phone number, would you please kindly add me to whatever channels there are, @lhamo ?
Thank you!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: September 30, 2023, 12:21:17 AM »

Dude, you do you, but you are at a sub 1% SWR.  Maybe leave the free spots to people who are more financially constrained and give yourself the freedom to enjoy a beer or two around the campfire with your MMM peeps!  I'll buy the first round.

Haha.. I think perhaps you misunderstand my motivation. Its not about saving money.. its a game of optimisation.. I.e to maximise enjoyment while spending the least amount of cash.

Does that make any kind of sense? I actually really don't care if end up spending $100 a night in a hotel. But.. the the thrill of getting something for "nothing".. i.e sleeping in my car is more optimal... Not perfect, otherwise I wouldn't be driving 2000 miles in a gas guzzling SUV to sleep in..:).

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: September 30, 2023, 05:42:31 AM »

Oooh, I have been wondering if there's something like a FB messenger chat or Whatsapp group for people that are actually attending.
I messaged you my phone number, would you please kindly add me to whatever channels there are, @lhamo ?
Thank you!

@FrugalZony --I sent you a PM regarding the Whatsapp group chat.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: September 30, 2023, 03:28:51 PM »

Thank you!

@FrugalZony --I sent you a PM regarding the Whatsapp group chat.

Thank you, just joined!
Looks like we're rolling in late tomorrow.
Most likely leaving on 10/11
So excited!!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #474 on: October 02, 2023, 10:10:17 AM »

Haha.. I think perhaps you misunderstand my motivation. Its not about saving money.. its a game of optimisation.. I.e to maximise enjoyment while spending the least amount of cash.

Does that make any kind of sense? I actually really don't care if end up spending $100 a night in a hotel. But.. the the thrill of getting something for "nothing".. i.e sleeping in my car is more optimal... Not perfect, otherwise I wouldn't be driving 2000 miles in a gas guzzling SUV to sleep in..:).

I LOLd.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: October 02, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
Free camping is not always a budget move.  The cost of the equipment needed, including the vehicle of an appropriate size, means that for folks who don't 'camp' often a hotel or campsite with electricity and water is more economical.  The BLM free sites in that area are, I'm assuming, used mostly by folks with overland vehicles and/or big boy toys like off-road vehicles along with the actual camping stuff.  The access to running water and the bath houses at the campground make life much easier.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #476 on: October 02, 2023, 02:43:27 PM »
Free camping is not always a budget move.  The cost of the equipment needed, including the vehicle of an appropriate size, means that for folks who don't 'camp' often a hotel or campsite with electricity and water is more economical.  The BLM free sites in that area are, I'm assuming, used mostly by folks with overland vehicles and/or big boy toys like off-road vehicles along with the actual camping stuff.  The access to running water and the bath houses at the campground make life much easier.

Indeed.. In fact we bought a $35,000 SUV (limited off road capability) to avoid $30/night camping fees.. Clearly a superb ROI there..:)

Funny story, Tech that worked for me a few years back borrowed a friends motor home.. Think $500,000 luxury bus. The thing AVERAGED 6 miles per gallon. He took it to Southern Oregon from Portland and concluded that it was cheaper to stay in $200/night hotels!

Not to mention the fun of driving one of those things over mountain passes... :)

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #477 on: October 03, 2023, 08:50:02 AM »
I've got a spare night in one of the front tent sites (Probably G7) for Weds night (11 Oct to 12 Oct) if anyone needs it. Heading out a day earlier than my reservation so my site will be free. PM me or find me when I'm there (Big brown Ford Econoline van).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #478 on: October 03, 2023, 08:52:37 AM »
Yup We KNOW our RV is expensive AF*, yet we delight at finding free places to stay. Its a paradox. We are currently camping for free in Aspen, CO, FFS, but guess how much we spent on diesel to get here?  Answer: IDK/IDC.

*Did we buy it used? Check
Did we earn the $$$ from a side gig? Check
Is it worth more than we paid for it? Check
Do we do our own repairs? Check
Did the purchase occur post-FI? Check

OTOH, do we stay at KOAs or fancy RV resorts? Hell no!
Do we eat out along the way? Hell no!
Do we use GasBuddy to suss out the cheapest fuel? Heck yah, we do!

Complete paradox.

Note to EFB: Maybe what we're really saying is we want to see more of you while you're here.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #479 on: October 03, 2023, 09:49:57 AM »
Yes @Dicey Its a game.. Games are not things that have to be won, but they HAVE to be played..:)

I think you will be seeing MORE than enough of me after a week. I will be booking into Shadowmoss's site (G3) on Friday.

Actually I had better start planning my route and packing as I leave tomorrow morning.. Woohoo.:)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: October 03, 2023, 10:49:29 AM »
Yesterday's game was: I need mini shampoo and soap for camping.  But I didn't want to buy it at CVS (see my journal for reasons, besides the mini shampoos being fancy and $4).  So dh found a mostly empty hotel shampoo bottle and added our own shampoo.

Alas, we are out of bar soap at home, but he found a hotel shower gel.  It's probably at least 4 years old, ha.  But it will work.  Do I need to plan for every contingency?  No.
Do I have so much more space in the car with only one human and not 4 + dog?  Yes.

Now I just need to get the oil changed.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #481 on: October 03, 2023, 11:26:35 AM »
Yesterday's game was: I need mini shampoo and soap for camping.  But I didn't want to buy it at CVS (see my journal for reasons, besides the mini shampoos being fancy and $4).  So dh found a mostly empty hotel shampoo bottle and added our own shampoo.

Alas, we are out of bar soap at home, but he found a hotel shower gel.  It's probably at least 4 years old, ha.  But it will work.  Do I need to plan for every contingency?  No.
Do I have so much more space in the car with only one human and not 4 + dog?  Yes.

Awesome.. I assume you will be changing your own oil too?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: October 03, 2023, 11:49:09 AM »
We choose our own battles when we are in a financial position to do so.  I stopped doing my own oil changes and general mechanics when I turned 40.  It was something I can do, but choose not to.  YMMV.

I posted on the app, but I won't be there on Friday evening as I had planned.  I drive a shuttle for a guy up here in my small town part time as something to do and make a bit of money.  Mostly we do shuttles for weddings as folks stay in local Air B&B's and we take them to and from the wedding site.  He has a big wedding to do Friday and I am his usual (only) week day driver.  He offered me double wages and begged me to help him.  Soooo.  I'll be arriving Saturday afternoon instead.  EFB will check into the site for me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #483 on: October 03, 2023, 01:49:13 PM »

Awesome.. I assume you will be changing your own oil too?
No.  We used to, but we def started picking our own battles around the time kid #2 was born (he's 11).  It's just easier to let Jiffy Lube dispose of the old oil. 

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #484 on: October 03, 2023, 03:34:08 PM »
Well I nearly left a day early.. I want to be there Friday pm and its a two day (8 hours each day) drive.. So I need to leave Thursday am.. Not Wednesday.. I'm losing it!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #485 on: October 03, 2023, 09:35:17 PM »
Lots of cool things to do on the way. You could spend a night at Goblin Valley SP. Awesome BLM camping there. You're retired, you can move at a leisurely pace.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: October 04, 2023, 08:59:55 AM »
Example of the leisurely pace of the retired: I flew to Las Vegas, which is about a 5-hpur drive away from Moab. Instead I'm taking 10 days to get there.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 09:30:15 AM by Cherry Lane »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #487 on: October 04, 2023, 09:28:07 AM »
Lots of cool things to do on the way. You could spend a night at Goblin Valley SP. Awesome BLM camping there. You're retired, you can move at a leisurely pace.

Indeed and if HRH was coming then I probably would have, but we get an extra day together this way..:)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #488 on: October 04, 2023, 10:34:15 AM »
ha ha ha, after all that soap/shampoo saga, my DH nicely bought me a mini shampoo at soap at the drug store.

He misinterpreted my "they didn't have anything" - I meant "they didn't have anything worth buying", not "they were totally out".

He's so sweet.
I'm of course bringing the shampoo he bought.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: October 05, 2023, 04:02:25 AM »
If and only if you have not responded on WhatsApp - who is coming to Thanksgiving Dinner?  I’m up to 38 of us!  They sell turkey in October, right?  Right?

Embok

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #490 on: October 05, 2023, 09:21:18 AM »
Enjoying reading along as I can’t be there.  Hope all of you have a terrific time together!

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: October 05, 2023, 09:35:32 AM »
Enjoying reading along as I can’t be there.  Hope all of you have a terrific time together!

Me, too. Enjoy!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: October 05, 2023, 09:46:49 AM »
Leaving Corvallis, Oregon in 1 hour and 15 minutes..:)

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: October 05, 2023, 09:51:24 AM »
Have a great time everyone!!  Since my dog sitter books up 6 months in advance maybe I’ll book her soon for next year so I can join the fun.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #494 on: October 05, 2023, 11:11:20 AM »
If and only if you have not responded on WhatsApp - who is coming to Thanksgiving Dinner?  I’m up to 38 of us!  They sell turkey in October, right?  Right?
Since we're already here, shall we check the local markets?  City Market probably has a system to order one, if we give them enough lead time.

stacheasaurus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #495 on: October 06, 2023, 12:02:10 PM »
Won't be at campsite or anything but will be riding navajo rocks mtb trail (~~3hr ride from the road going up to canyonlands, woul consider it a blue square rating) if anyone wants to join tomorrow morning

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #496 on: October 06, 2023, 04:10:59 PM »
Have fun, ya'll!

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #497 on: October 07, 2023, 08:06:50 PM »
I am here and with bike. Monday morning ride?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: October 07, 2023, 09:52:48 PM »
Wow--what an amazing meetup so far!!!  Fantastic group of folks!  Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings... :D

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #499 on: October 11, 2023, 10:51:29 AM »
First things first -- what a fantastic group of Mustachians! I had such a good time getting to know you, and was sad I couldn't stay longer. Y'all also convinced me to pick a name that actually means something to me, so I did.

I was planning on staying one more day, but DW called about our water heater dying. I've been dragging it along since 2006, so it wasn't a surprise. However, the quote to get it replaced was that and then some.

I got quotes from three different plumbing companies that came in anywhere from $2200 to $4100. One of them had a $700 charge just to pick up the water heater from Home Depot (that is five minutes from my house). Feeling disgusted by said quotes, I ended up yanking the old one and installing the new one myself to the tune of $791.13. I have hot water again.

Being back at MegaCorp after spending time with you all definitely makes the first day back even harder than it is after any vacation!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!