Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023  (Read 35804 times)

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2023, 07:28:10 AM »
It sounds like so much fun. I will have to look at the driving distance between Reno and there.

You should come, Cassie!  It would be so great to meet you.  I made the decision to go last year after things were already happening -- I left Seattle on Sunday, spent one night outside Twin Falls Idaho, and arrived in Moab in time to join folks for dinner on Monday evening.  It was a long drive (especially the first day), but not overwhelming.  I only had three days with everybody but it was SOOOOOO worth it.  Hence going for the full week this time, and also dragging my sister along (and hoping my friend/her husband will join for the last few days)

I'm pretty sure there are people flying in to Salt Lake and renting cars/driving from there. If you stopped in Salt Lake for the night you might be able to find somebody to ride with you/share driving and gas costs.  IIRC I left the Costco just outside Provo (good place to stock up and observe suburban Utah culture -- so many huge families (use the self checkout) around 1pm and I think I was at the campsite by 4-4:30?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #351 on: September 10, 2023, 11:13:45 AM »
I, uh, was trying to use what's app to show a friend around where I am going to park my motorhome for winter.  The app said it made a group of the two of us.  I hit group video call assuming it would.let.me.choose between the Moab group and my friend group.  Instead it video called Everyone.  In my panic I closed the window which did not end the call.  When I went back, as folks were asking who the heck called I had no end call button.  I think I turned off my phone hoping that ended it.  So sorry I disturbed people, and I won't do it again!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #352 on: September 10, 2023, 12:35:31 PM »
Sitting in the Toronto airport….waiting to fly home after attending the CMTO camp.  Will be home for about 36 hours, and then I’m off to Portugal for 3 weeks…

Anyway, I think I created a new WhatsApp group for this year’s Magical Moab Meetup.  Once I test it out on a couple of Guinea pigs, I will PM all of the attendees with a link to the chat…so stay tuned…!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #353 on: September 10, 2023, 11:26:49 PM »
It sounds like so much fun. I will have to look at the driving distance between Reno and there.

You should come, Cassie!  It would be so great to meet you.  I made the decision to go last year after things were already happening -- I left Seattle on Sunday, spent one night outside Twin Falls Idaho, and arrived in Moab in time to join folks for dinner on Monday evening.  It was a long drive (especially the first day), but not overwhelming.  I only had three days with everybody but it was SOOOOOO worth it.  Hence going for the full week this time, and also dragging my sister along (and hoping my friend/her husband will join for the last few days)

I'm pretty sure there are people flying in to Salt Lake and renting cars/driving from there. If you stopped in Salt Lake for the night you might be able to find somebody to ride with you/share driving and gas costs.  IIRC I left the Costco just outside Provo (good place to stock up and observe suburban Utah culture -- so many huge families (use the self checkout) around 1pm and I think I was at the campsite by 4-4:30?

Thanks Lhamo for the encouragement!! I would love to meet you also. I have to first check with my dog sitter to see if she’s available. I have 2 Maltese so need someone to stay in my house with them.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #354 on: September 11, 2023, 07:34:22 AM »
I have created a "Moab Meetup 2023" WhatsApp group.  I contacted a few people individually and also sent a PM with the link to the group.

If you are coming to the meetup and do not yet have the link to the WhatsApp group, please let me know.  Also, I will be traveling tomorrow and the next day, so apologies if I don't respond right away.

vector

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Stubble
« Reply #355 on: September 11, 2023, 11:58:03 AM »
@vector  and Andrei will be in Moab Oct 6-11. We'll be in a hotel but hope to spend a lot of time with all of you.

V

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2023, 06:21:29 AM »
I hear one or more @SnakesintheGrass  is planning to attend!

In addition to the available tent site I also hear there's a cabin to spare that was procured in the fall sale. @FIFoFum knows more about that.

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: September 12, 2023, 01:11:20 PM »
Still have plenty of room at La Casa if more people want to stay in a house.  Planning on at least one night inviting everyone over for dinner.

Hi Meadowlark.  If this offer is still on the table, I'd be interested.  Arni

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #358 on: September 12, 2023, 02:07:22 PM »
Last call for my tent site. If nobody contacts me I'll cancel it tomorrow.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #359 on: September 12, 2023, 02:17:34 PM »
Still have plenty of room at La Casa if more people want to stay in a house.  Planning on at least one night inviting everyone over for dinner.

Man! They'll let ANYONE come to this thing.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: September 12, 2023, 05:27:09 PM »

[/quote]

Haha!  Come on down!  Still have room at La Casa.  Just let me know the dates.  Planning to make a Thanksgiving Dinner on the 9th for everyone.  Not sure how traditional it will be, yet.

https://www.lazylizardhostel.com/la-casa.php    For info on the house.  We are just dividing up the $260/night fee per person.  Depending on the night we may have 9 or so people.

@94, can you add AxeCleaver to the house for 9-12th, please.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 05:34:32 PM by meadow lark »

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #361 on: September 12, 2023, 05:55:52 PM »

Haha!  Come on down!  Still have room at La Casa.  Just let me know the dates.  Planning to make a Thanksgiving Dinner on the 9th for everyone.  Not sure how traditional it will be, yet.

https://www.lazylizardhostel.com/la-casa.php    For info on the house.  We are just dividing up the $260/night fee per person.  Depending on the night we may have 9 or so people.

@94, can you add AxeCleaver to the house for 9-12th, please.
[/quote]

Seriously?  You hooked a whopper there!  Look forward to finally meeting the Axe man in person.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #362 on: September 13, 2023, 12:28:06 AM »
@Axecleaver is coming?.. Awesome..:)

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #363 on: September 13, 2023, 06:55:51 PM »

@oldladystache might be too late here (this week got BUSY). I am considering switching from a RV site to a tent site. If you still have it pm me and we can work it out tomorrow.

Thanks-

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #364 on: September 13, 2023, 10:24:14 PM »

Seriously! That's what's so fun about this event - meeting people who are simultaneously legendary and perfectly normal, down-to-earth folks (I feel confident assuming he's normal and down-to-earth...).

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: September 14, 2023, 02:16:25 PM »

@oldladystache might be too late here (this week got BUSY). I am considering switching from a RV site to a tent site. If you still have it pm me and we can work it out tomorrow.

Thanks-
It's still available. I sent pm.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #366 on: September 14, 2023, 02:21:32 PM »

Seriously! That's what's so fun about this event - meeting people who are simultaneously legendary and perfectly normal, down-to-earth folks (I feel confident assuming he's normal and down-to-earth...).

Yeah, I'm more on the "legendary" side of things myself. Humility is also my greatest strength!..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #367 on: September 14, 2023, 02:35:14 PM »

Yeah, I'm more on the "legendary" side of things myself. Humility is also my greatest strength!..:)

For you, settling for legendary shows your humble side.

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #368 on: September 14, 2023, 05:15:45 PM »
I'm trying to get @Log to come along as well, we'll see if my persuasion campaign works out!

Count me convinced! I've booked a refundable flight just in case something comes up, but I'm hoping to make it.

I've been traveling loads for education/work opportunities in the last few years, but I don't think I've taken a 100% "for pleasure" trip since family vacations as a child, so this is momentous! Haha

Same dates as @314159, and I'll be one more for the hostel house (:

I may mull it over for another day or two before officially cancelling, but I'm feeling this is not the year for me. I've got some work travel scheduled for October and however much fun this seems, I think this trip will be a little too much for my schedule and my wallet. ):

NinjaSue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: September 14, 2023, 06:41:46 PM »
My husband and I will be in the area so we’ve booked an RV spot for oct 6-13. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #370 on: September 15, 2023, 12:20:24 AM »
Thought I'd take a stab at a roll call...

And I'm not sure about these others, but I hope they can all attend!

Good News: The bike shop dude's schedule was free and we picked up my dream bike over the weekend!
Bad News: That means we aren't making a second trip out to Moab.

I'm sorry to miss meeting all you fine folks.
We're keeping this on the radar for future years. In the meantime, if anyone is coming through Flagstaff, AZ we'd be more than happy to meet up/have some tasty beverages on the porch.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #371 on: September 16, 2023, 12:33:02 AM »
This is probably way too early.......but are there plans for a Moab 2024?

DW and I are planning on road trippin' through the PNW and CA in late August -> Sept and the timing would work for such an event if it were to take place during a similar time of year/location.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #372 on: September 16, 2023, 12:36:24 AM »

DW and I are planning on road trippin' through the PNW and CA in late August -> Sept and the timing would work for such an event if it were to take place during a similar time of year/location.

I almost hate to throw this idea out there, but I'm interested in plans for Moab 2024 too. I was inspired by Cherry Lane's train trips to get to Moab 2022, and while I drove to 2022 and plan to drive to 2023, I aspire to do something different for 2024.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #373 on: September 16, 2023, 04:03:17 AM »

For the record, I repeat my intent to attend in ‘24. @2Birds1Stone, likely that’s where we’ll finally meet in IRL. Totally thrilled!

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: September 16, 2023, 07:54:58 AM »
I think there are enough people who love this trip, this time of year, and this crowd that it is almost certain to be a regular event even if our fearless leader @NinetyFour is unable to take the lead.  It is a bit easier to organize as the main thing that needs to be done is picking dates early enough to let a solid group of people get reservations at Sun OUtdoors -- especially with those sweet, sweet black friday prices! 

IIRC last year we picked the dates at or shortly after the event.  Stay tuned!

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #375 on: September 16, 2023, 01:14:45 PM »
Check out the BLM land for next year too - you don't need reservations and it's more Mustachian!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #376 on: September 16, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »
Check out the BLM land for next year too - you don't need reservations and it's more Mustachian!

Thats where I'm staying.. Unless alcohol is involved then I will be squatting in @shadowmoss 's extra vehicle spot..:)

With rent paid of course.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:31:12 PM by Exflyboy »

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #377 on: September 16, 2023, 02:53:27 PM »
I'm holding you to that!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #378 on: September 16, 2023, 11:11:52 PM »

Early October is kind of a sweet spot. Smaller crowds, lower temperatures, plus it used to be just after the reservation requirements at Arches were lifted. Alas, that is no longer the case.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #379 on: September 16, 2023, 11:30:40 PM »

Early October is kind of a sweet spot. Smaller crowds, lower temperatures, plus it used to be just after the reservation requirements at Arches were lifted. Alas, that is no longer the case.

So you and Mr. Dicey will be there next year? Asking for a friend :D

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: September 17, 2023, 08:39:26 AM »
@vector  and Andrei will be in Moab Oct 6-11. We'll be in a hotel but hope to spend a lot of time with all of you.

V

I'm afraid I am too lazy to see if there are any previous posts about carpooling...   I can always rent a car but I'd rather travel with good people (or bad people - just not psychopaths because two of us would be nuts)...  Smiley face (and not really a psychopath)...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 08:41:49 AM by SnakesintheGrass »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #381 on: September 17, 2023, 09:48:35 AM »

So you and Mr. Dicey will be there next year? Asking for a friend :D
As always, it depends on the dates. This event is sandwiched between two important events in my community. We're skipping one this year. I play a larger role in the other, so I'm madly frontloading work now, leaving Moab a bit early, and doing a hard drive home, which I hate to do. I am hopeful we can both make it next year, and the next, and the next...

BTW, DH is kind of weird about not wanting to go to the same place twice. "There's so much to see", which is a pretty good argument. He makes an exception for Moab, because there is so much to see and do, plus cool people to see and do things with.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #382 on: September 17, 2023, 07:19:49 PM »

V

I'm afraid I am too lazy to see if there are any previous posts about carpooling...   I can always rent a car but I'd rather travel with good people (or bad people - just not psychopaths because two of us would be nuts)...  Smiley face (and not really a psychopath)...

You need to be more exact. With the loose nature of the event, the different airports fly into and the different vehicles coming in you could end up on the rack of a bicycle being ridden up from Arizona or in the back of a limo coming in from Omaha.

Weare driving from Toronto, pulling a camper but our schedule likely matches no one's, and our car is already full of boys. If you'd like to make a convoy and follow us down, we'd be happy to talk.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #383 on: September 17, 2023, 07:51:55 PM »
Last year I made nametags for everyone, which came in handy mostly around the campsite, when there were lots of us together, and it was hard to keep track of so many names. Also, we discovered some of us don't actually answer to our screen names, because no one ever calls us by them IRL. I've attached examples from last year.

Here's what I need to know via PM. Do you want your screen name and your real first name as implied in the photo? If you're bringing mini-mustachians, do you want them to have nametags? (Sorry, I don't think Miss Green is big enough to wear a nametag on a lanyard safely, but we can make one for her baby album, if you wish.)

If you came last year and your tag was okay, you don't need to do anything. I need a response from the following folks asap. If your name is on this list, and you were there last year, it's because you have more people coming.

This does not imply that the list is closed. If you add on later, send me a PM. Deadline for nametags is September 27th, which is when we plan to start moseying toward Moab.
@mm1970, @Mr. Green, @Stashing Away, @ws.

@Le Poisson and @ToTheMoon, please let me know about your minis. I don't want anyone to feel left out, even if they decide not to wear them.

ETA: Everyone is getting a 2023 name tag and lanyard (collect 'em all!). I just need info from the folks who did not attend last year.
Thanks for all nice notes from everyone who has responded. The list is getting long, squee!

If your name is on the list above, I remain (im)patiently waiting for your info. @LePoisson gets a pass, because he's been kinda busy lately. Same for anyone who was at CM*TO with them.

If I have sent you a PM with a question and you haven't responded, pleasepleaseplease do.

If you are @Axecleaver or @SnakesintheGrass, this is a very gentle first request. So glad you're joining us!

If you are bringing folks, please provide their info, if you haven't already. If your guest isn't a forum member, typically I will reference your screen name so people don't ask them the tough mustachian questions around the campfire (hee), and then I'll add the name they answer to below. (see photo in quoted post)

Options might be Mr./Mrs./Ms.[Forum Member] or [Forum Member]SO/GF/BF/Pal/Friend. Don't forget about your kids, if they're coming along. I don't want anyone to feel left out. My all time favorite nametag (so far) is "Mary's Friend Mary". My husband thinks being called "Mr. Dicey" is freaking hilarious.

If you're coming and haven't been pinged or batsignaled and you didn't attend last year, please let me know.

I can't wait to see/meet everyone, new friends and old.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #384 on: September 17, 2023, 07:54:25 PM »
I give you carte blanche to put whatever you want on my name tag. Momma on the other hand, well, just don't piss her off. She makes me cookies, and I don't wanna go without.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2023, 09:09:36 PM »
I give you carte blanche to put whatever you want on my name tag. Momma on the other hand, well, just don't piss her off. She makes me cookies, and I don't wanna go without.

I promise not to piss her off too, but you might have to tie me to a chair and force cookies (otherwise known as biscuits in the civilised world) down my throat..:)

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #386 on: September 18, 2023, 07:27:11 AM »

In addition to the available tent site I also hear there's a cabin to spare that was procured in the fall sale. @FIFoFum knows more about that.

This is correct! Anyone want a spare cabin available from Saturday Oct 7 to Friday Oct 13?

Total cost would be $568 (or $618 if you have to pay a $50 pet fee - this is a pet-friendly cabin).

I have to cancel by Friday (Sept 22) for a full refund. This is extra, as Muppet & I will be sharing CL's cabin instead of using this one.

Please let me know if you'd like to take it off my hands instead! I'd love for it to go to someone in our group.

FIFoFum

• Handlebar Stache
    • Captain's Log - Mission to Puppy Waystation on Puppy Island
« Reply #387 on: September 18, 2023, 07:32:30 AM »

My current plan is to rent a car in SLC in the morning on Friday Oct 6 & return to SLC by mid/late afternoon on Oct 13.

Muppet & I fly in the late the night before (Oct 5) & fly out in the evening on Oct 13.

Happy to carpool one or both ways with other travelers.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #388 on: September 18, 2023, 09:12:41 AM »
Did I piss her off last year? I don't think so. Dicey and Momma got along just fine. I like cookies, too.

What I do need from you is the data for the boy fishies. They don't have to wear them (nobody does), but I'm not going to leave them out of the fun.

About your nametag: Don't tempt me.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #389 on: September 18, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »
Last year I made nametags for everyone, which came in handy mostly around the campsite, when there were lots of us together, and it was hard to keep track of so many names. Also, we discovered some of us don't actually answer to our screen names, because no one ever calls us by them IRL. I've attached examples from last year.

Here's what I need to know via PM. Do you want your screen name and your real first name as implied in the photo? If you're bringing mini-mustachians, do you want them to have nametags? (Sorry, I don't think Miss Green is big enough to wear a nametag on a lanyard safely, but we can make one for her baby album, if you wish.)

If you came last year and your tag was okay, you don't need to do anything. I need a response from the following folks asap. If your name is on this list, and you were there last year, it's because you have more people coming.

This does not imply that the list is closed. If you add on later, send me a PM. Deadline for nametags is September 27th, which is when we plan to start moseying toward Moab.
@mm1970, @Mr. Green, @Stashing Away, @ws.

@Le Poisson and @ToTheMoon, please let me know about your minis. I don't want anyone to feel left out, even if they decide not to wear them.

ETA: Everyone is getting a 2023 name tag and lanyard (collect 'em all!). I just need info from the folks who did not attend last year.
Thanks for all nice notes from everyone who has responded. The list is getting long, squee!

If your name is on the list above, I remain (im)patiently waiting for your info. @LePoisson gets a pass, because he's been kinda busy lately. Same for anyone who was at CM*TO with them.

If I have sent you a PM with a question and you haven't responded, pleasepleaseplease do.

If you are @Axecleaver or @SnakesintheGrass, this is a very gentle first request. So glad you're joining us!

If you are bringing folks, please provide their info, if you haven't already. If your guest isn't a forum member, typically I will reference your screen name so people don't ask them the tough mustachian questions around the campfire (hee), and then I'll add the name they answer to below. (see photo in quoted post)

Options might be Mr./Mrs./Ms.[Forum Member] or [Forum Member]SO/GF/BF/Pal/Friend. Don't forget about your kids, if they're coming along. I don't want anyone to feel left out. My all time favorite nametag (so far) is "Mary's Friend Mary". My husband thinks being called "Mr. Dicey" is freaking hilarious.

If you're coming and haven't been pinged or batsignaled and you didn't attend last year, please let me know.

I can't wait to see/meet everyone, new friends and old.
I swear I sent you a message, but it's not showing up in my sent mail, so maybe I don't understand the messaging...Anyway, I tried again-  or, let me know if you can see my name in the WhatsApp?  Ping me if you still need my info.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2023, 11:04:40 AM »
Okay, settle in for a Dicey Story (fake TM).

A few weeks ago, we received a check to our address for an Unknown Person. Mr. Dicey googled the name, found a nearby house and went there to deliver it. Woman who answered the door said, "Never heard of this Unknown Person." Upon further scrutiny, we determined that the check was probably for a certain mustachian who had stayed with us prior to Moab last year.  Said person was required to get an expensive Covid test prior to a cruise (that happened after the visit to our area and before they got to Moab), and was charged a pretty penny for it. Turns out the check was a partial refund for the rip-off Covid test.

I contacted said mustachian, who lives in the Land Down Under. They decided it was too much hassle to deal with a check in US Dollars, especially one that was actually still in the US. A plan was hatched. Mr. Dicey was pretty sure he could cash the check, because our address was on it (don't think about this too deeply). He was successful.

The brilliant plan is to use the money to host an Ice Cream Social during the meetup. The check was for a whopping $185. That will buy lots of ice cream and a metric fuck-ton of sprinkles. At that time, everyone can raise a cone, bowl, or spoon to our very own Deborah. She won't be there in person, but she sure will be there in spirit.

Thank you, @deborah!

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2023, 11:33:56 AM »
As an ice cream connoisseur, I love that! Haha. Thanks, @deborah!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2023, 03:35:26 PM »
@deborah I knew you were a fine upstanding Mustacian! For those that don't know, Debs drove 7.5 hours to meet up with me in a little town outside of Melbourne when I was visiting OZ on an extended business trip. She even took me to the zoo. We had a great time.

She is an awesome person and I shall very much enjoy eating an ice cream in her honour. Thankyou!..:)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2023, 06:23:13 PM »
@deborah I knew you were a fine upstanding Mustacian! For those that don't know, Debs drove 7.5 hours to meet up with me in a little town outside of Melbourne when I was visiting OZ on an extended business trip. She even took me to the zoo. We had a great time.

She is an awesome person and I shall very much enjoy eating an ice cream in her honour. Thankyou!..:)
What, she didn't leave you there?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2023, 06:40:58 PM »

Most of the white population there is descended from convicts from the UK.. I think they have plenty of examples of the likes of me running around already..:)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2023, 06:55:54 PM »

Most of the white population there is descended from convicts from the UK.. I think they have plenty of examples of the likes of me running around already..:)

If you don't stand by your convictions, who will?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2023, 07:59:39 PM »

Convictions or convicts..:)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #397 on: September 18, 2023, 10:47:16 PM »

Convictions or convicts..:)
Less than 20%

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: September 19, 2023, 01:10:31 PM »
@deborah Apologies for my hyperbole!.. No ice cream for me then..:)

I'm kinda surprised somebody actually did a study on percentage of convict descendants, in America we just make up your own facts, saves all that pesky research and getting an education etc...

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #399 on: September 19, 2023, 01:19:51 PM »
@deborah Apologies for my hyperbole!.. No ice cream for me then..:)

I'm kinda surprised somebody actually did a study on percentage of convict descendants, in America we just make up your own facts, saves all that pesky research and getting an education etc...

Here they just rounded up orphans and street urchins to use as farm labour (slaves) and underage brides. Someone had to colonize the frozen north, and it would be inhumane to send criminals.

https://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/people-and-stories/british-home-children - the whitewashing is strong here.
https://www.tfcg.ca/filles-du-roi - again, glorifying an ugly past. We are all the offspring of greatness.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!