Author Topic: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023  (Read 35832 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Magical MOAB Meetup 2023
« Reply #250 on: August 28, 2023, 12:53:01 PM »
I went back through this thread today, and as far as I can tell, these are the campsites that will be occupied by mustachians. I know that there are others (some cabins, and a bunch more sites) but these are the only ones identified on this thread, and which currently have owners (I believe G10 and G6 are both currently booked by mustachians, but are going to be transferred/cancelled, so I haven't checked them off).

Our sites have green dots on them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #251 on: August 28, 2023, 09:14:44 PM »
@lhamo, I noticed in eta's journal that your October dates have shifted. Are you still going to make the meetup? Fingers crossed.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: August 28, 2023, 09:42:49 PM »
Yes, will be in MOab Oct 6-13.  Doing a few days in Yellowstone on the way there, then two weeks in Longmont after with my friend/her husband (who I hope will be overlapping in Moab so y'all can meet them, along with my sister who will be sharing my cabin). Then train back to SLC to meet my sister (who is doing a side trip to SW parks while I hang with my friend in CO).

Soooooo looking forward to this trip!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: August 29, 2023, 01:27:49 AM »
Yes, will be in MOab Oct 6-13.  Doing a few days in Yellowstone on the way there, then two weeks in Longmont after with my friend/her husband (who I hope will be overlapping in Moab so y'all can meet them, along with my sister who will be sharing my cabin). Then train back to SLC to meet my sister (who is doing a side trip to SW parks while I hang with my friend in CO).

Soooooo looking forward to this trip!
Yay!

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #254 on: August 29, 2023, 10:38:58 AM »
We're in site 108 from the 7-10th, but did not pay the site lock fee so that may change.

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #255 on: August 29, 2023, 10:53:18 AM »
Is anybody still interested in an enhanced tent campsite?   I locked one in for Oct 6-13 (G6

Hi lhamo,
I’m interested in taking over your site. I sent you a message.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: August 29, 2023, 01:39:44 PM »
We're in one of the "rustic" tent sites across the creek to ensure a more quiet sleep arrangement for our toddler. We didn't pay the site lock fee either. Super pumped about meeting everyone!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »
We're in one of the "rustic" tent sites across the creek to ensure a more quiet sleep arrangement for our toddler. We didn't pay the site lock fee either. Super pumped about meeting everyone!
Woo-hoo! There is a back staircase from the rustic campsites to the enclosed playground. I suspect you'll be getting quite a bit of use out of it. I'm pretty sure I posted pictures of it upthread. Our grandkids loved it.

StashingAway

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2023, 04:52:19 AM »

Not sure why I didn't think of that; we might switch to do the same if it's available.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2023, 07:00:09 AM »

Not sure why I didn't think of that; we might switch to do the same if it's available.

I think quiet is subjective here. Are you familiar with the term "BEEEP - BEEEP - BEEEP. You May Now Drive Forward?"

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2023, 09:57:24 PM »

I think quiet is subjective here. Are you familiar with the term "BEEEP - BEEEP - BEEEP. You May Now Drive Forward?"

If you know, you know.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #261 on: September 01, 2023, 06:56:29 AM »

If you know, you know.

Yup - we may be able to make space available in the camper for afternoon naps if night time doesn't go well. Not that the camper is much quieter than any other place.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #262 on: September 01, 2023, 11:21:29 AM »
Hi All--

I have site G8 booked (and locked) for Oct 7 - Oct 13.  It can serve as the Magical MOAB Meetup HQ.  We can use that as a place to gather for morning coffee, afternoon chats, and evenings campfires!

And I will be in site 100 Oct 6 - 13.

Looking forward to it!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: September 01, 2023, 12:24:21 PM »
Hi All--

I have site G8 booked (and locked) for Oct 7 - Oct 13.  It can serve as the Magical MOAB Meetup HQ.  We can use that as a place to gather for morning coffee, afternoon chats, and evenings campfires!

Looking forward to it!
As long as y'all aren't too loud late at night (I'm in G9!)  I'll bring my earplugs fo sho!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2023, 01:05:10 PM »
Hi All--

Looking forward to it!
As long as y'all aren't too loud late at night (I'm in G9!)  I'll bring my earplugs fo sho!
Can confirm is it a wild and crazy party. You'll need those earplugs ;)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
Hi All--

Looking forward to it!
Ha Ha HA, we will all be too exhausted from the myriad of daytime activities we'll be partaking in.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: September 01, 2023, 01:53:37 PM »
Hi All--

Looking forward to it!
Ha Ha HA, we will all be too exhausted from the myriad of daytime activities we'll be partaking in.

I plan to be too exhausted from night time activities to wake up for daytime activities.

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: September 01, 2023, 07:38:39 PM »
I’m coming! I’m taking over [mention]lhamo [/mention] ‘s G6 site. Excited to meet everybody!

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: September 01, 2023, 08:31:46 PM »
Site G10 available!  $352.73
Oct 6 - Oct 13, 2023 (7 nights)

I have site G10 reserved and locked. I won't be needing it because I'll be staying at @meadow lark's house.

I can get a full refund if I cancel by September 21, so if anyone wants it please let me know before then.

Nightly/Weekly Stays: For all guests with stays shorter than 30 nights ("short-term guests") (i) cancellations may be made for a full refund of your deposit up to the date that is 14 days prior to your scheduled check-in date.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: September 01, 2023, 08:35:19 PM »
Hi All--

Looking forward to it!

I plan to be too exhausted from night time activities to wake up for daytime activities.
Always the rebel.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2023, 09:03:42 PM »
Still have plenty of room at La Casa if more people want to stay in a house.  Planning on at least one night inviting everyone over for dinner.

Cannot Wait!

• Handlebar Stache
  • FIREd 2016 @ 49
« Reply #271 on: September 02, 2023, 08:07:52 PM »
I'm thinking of staying with friends in town and visiting/hiking during the days. I see dogs are allowed at the campsite; how do people feel about a dog joining us on hikes? Also does anyone know if there is a day use fee?

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #272 on: September 03, 2023, 08:17:58 AM »
I'm thinking of staying with friends in town and visiting/hiking during the days. I see dogs are allowed at the campsite; how do people feel about a dog joining us on hikes? Also does anyone know if there is a day use fee?

Last year most folks were fine with well behaved dogs -- but pets are not allowed on trails in Arches and you definitely need to plan for the sun/heat if you are going to leave them anywhere during the day.

https://www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/regulations.htm

Technically Sun Outdoors requires a day-use fee and a pass for all cars parking there.  But I didn't realize that and never paid it and only paid for my own cabin my last night there -- crashed with MMM friends (thanks again @deborah and @shadowmoss) the other nights. They do have the right to tow your car if you don't have a pass.  I think the pass is $10/day or something like that.  There is a Kroger supermarket nearby where you could park your car and walk over.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #273 on: September 03, 2023, 10:28:23 AM »
There is easy street parking in the vicinity.

Your dog's safety is also a huge consideration. Despite the October date, it can still get wicked hot.

I'm fairly certain the dog who attended last year was actually a well-trained human in a fuzzy dog suit. His trail manners were impeccable, as were with his manners everywhere else. I don't think I heard him bark once. He even has his own screen name.

His human went out of his way to prioritize his dog's needs and they were an amazing team to watch. I hope they return.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: September 03, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »
Thought I'd take a stab at a roll call...

Who               | When            | Where

MMoabM HQ         | Oct 7 - 13      | G8 (locked)
NinetyFour        | Oct 6 - 13      | 100 (locked)
@Dicey            | Oct 4 - Oct 11? | 101
@lhamo            | Oct 6 - 13      | cabin
@StashingAway     | Oct 7 - 10      | 108 (unlocked)
@mm1970           | Oct 7 - 10      | G9
@elle dub         | Oct 6 - 13      | G6
@Le Poisson et al | Oct 6 - 13      | 107
@Chaplin          | Oct 6 - 9       | ??
@lilkidjesus      | Oct 6 - 10      | tent site
@ws               | Oct 6 - 13      | 98
@Mr. Green et al  | Oct 6 - 13      | tent site

@Cannot Wait!     | ??              | with friends
@Exflyboy         | ??              | on BLM land

@314159           | Oct 6 - 10      | ??

@Embok and Mister | ??              | hotel

@meadow lark      | Oct 6 - 13      | hostel house
@oldladystache    | Oct 6 - 13      | hostel house
@shadowmoss       | Oct 6 - 13      | hostel house

And I'm not sure about these others, but I hope they can all attend!

@GreenToTheCore
@Cherry Lane
@spartana
@vector
@ToTheMoon
@the_fixer
@driftwood
@Fru-Gal
@AlexK
@srrb
@catbend
@FIFoFum

My apologies if I missed anyone!!

Feel free to post any corrections or additional info. 

That said, if you would rather not post your exact dates or location where you plan to lay your head, that's OK, too!  :)

See you all in about 5 weeks!!!

« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 02:03:16 PM by NinetyFour »

elledub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: September 03, 2023, 01:13:46 PM »
Thx @NinetyFour for putting together the roll call. I’m at the campground Oct 6-13. I may stay in the area longer if the weather is nice to visit more spots.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2023, 01:38:57 PM »
Unfortunately we are going to have to skip it this year my better half is scheduled for a new knee and just got it scheduled for mid October. We need the time to prep our house and take care of some stuff and getting mobility back is priority one since we have big plans for 2024.

We have site G2 locked (deluxe with power) and will cancel it unless someone wants it soon.

We will miss you all but look forward to the next time we see each one of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2023, 01:54:25 PM »
@NinetyFour we are there the whole week of the meetup. 6-13.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
Are any of the Moab crowd coming in from Denver? If so can you advise us...

1. Where we should fill our water tanks before heading into the mountains?
2. Where there are some good dispersed campsites that Mr. Jones could reach while pulling a pop-up trailer.

If #2. is a top secret thing, please message us - I know a lot of folks don't like sharing their secret spots. I promise we'll only use it once.

We are hoping to find a dispersed camp that offers us fun day outings either hiking, sightseeing, or canoeing.
I have a campsite reserved that we are not going to use, beautiful place, great paddle boarding, kayaking, fishing and one of the hardest reservations to get in Colorado. If the dates work let me know and we can get it transferred

Sept 29th - Oct 1st

Dowdy lake

——-

If we are in town you are welcome to fill water at our place near Boulder if you are going more the I-70 direction for camping.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #279 on: September 03, 2023, 02:59:52 PM »
Unfortunately we are going to have to skip it this year my better half is scheduled for a new knee and just got it scheduled for mid October.

No.  Just no.  Can you let her know that I am absolutely not okay with her not coming.  And I think she is amazing and I hope her surgery is very helpful and she heals quickly.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2023, 05:02:21 PM »
Unfortunately we are going to have to skip it this year my better half is scheduled for a new knee and just got it scheduled for mid October. We need the time to prep our house and take care of some stuff and getting mobility back is priority one since we have big plans for 2024.

We have site G2 locked (deluxe with power) and will cancel it unless someone wants it soon.

That's a bummer!  I'll be in your area the 14-26th ish and would love to see you and introduce you to my friends who live there.  Maybe we can bring you dinner one night? 

• Bristles
« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2023, 06:03:08 PM »
@NinetyFour Thanks for the roll call—we'll be in the hostel house with @meadow lark and the gang!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2023, 06:10:03 PM »
The Dicey's info is correct and our site is locked.

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2023, 06:33:22 PM »
I'm trying to get @Log to come along as well, we'll see if my persuasion campaign works out!

Log

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: September 03, 2023, 07:21:37 PM »
I'm trying to get @Log to come along as well, we'll see if my persuasion campaign works out!

Count me convinced! I've booked a refundable flight just in case something comes up, but I'm hoping to make it.

I've been traveling loads for education/work opportunities in the last few years, but I don't think I've taken a 100% "for pleasure" trip since family vacations as a child, so this is momentous! Haha

Same dates as @314159, and I'll be one more for the hostel house (:

srrb

• Stubble
« Reply #285 on: September 03, 2023, 07:31:00 PM »
Thought I'd take a stab at a roll call...

Would love to, but not this year. Have fun!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2023, 06:36:25 AM »
Yay @Log - can’t wait to meet you!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2023, 07:58:42 AM »

Who                               | When            | Where

Magical Moab Meetup HQ            | Oct 7 - 13      | G8 (locked)
NinetyFour                        | Oct 6 - 13      | 100 (locked)
Diceys                            | Oct 4 - Oct 11  | 101 (locked)
lhamo                             | Oct 6 - 13      | cabin
StashingAway                      | Oct 7 - 10      | 108 (unlocked)
mm1970                            | Oct 7 - 10      | G9
elle dub                          | Oct 6 - 13      | G6
Le Poisson and other assorted fish| Oct 6 - 13      | 106
Chaplin                           | Oct 6 - 9       | G something
ToTheMoon + 3                     | Oct 10 - 13     | G something
driftwood + 2                     | ??              | ??
lilkidjesus                       | Oct 6 - 10      | tent site
ws                                | Oct 6 - 13      | 98
Mr. Green et al                   | Oct 6 - 13      | tent site
Cherry Lane                       | Oct 6 - 13      | cabin
FIFoFum & Muppet                  | Oct 6 - 13      | cabin
shadowmoss                        | ??              | G3 (locked)

Cannot Wait!                      | ??              | with friends
Exflyboy                          | Oct 6 - 13      | on BLM land

Embok and Mister                  | ??              | hotel

meadow lark                       | Oct 6 - 13      | hostel house
oldladystache                     | Oct 6 - 13      | hostel house
314159                            | Oct 6 - 10      | hostel house
Log                               | Oct 6 - 10      | hostel house
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 08:51:20 AM by NinetyFour »

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2023, 08:28:07 AM »
FFF, Muppet, and I are cabining this year, Oct 6-13.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2023, 10:11:41 AM »
Shadowmoss is locked into G3.  I just.kept.reminding folks about @meadow lark having the house.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2023, 10:50:51 AM »
There is easy street parking in the vicinity.

Your dog's safety is also a huge consideration. Despite the October date, it can still get wicked hot.

I'm fairly certain the dog who attended last year was actually a well-trained human in a fuzzy dog suit. His trail manners were impeccable, as were with his manners everywhere else. I don't think I heard him bark once. He even has his own screen name.

His human went out of his way to prioritize his dog's needs and they were an amazing team to watch. I hope they return.
Squee! I see my wish has been granted! Hooray!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2023, 11:10:48 AM »
I'm going to try to make it next year.  I live up in Utah Valley and haven't ever been to Moab.  What's up with that? 

Anyway, I don't know that it's been brought up in the thread yet, but the path of the Annular eclipse goes right through Utah on the morning of the 14th.  Not over Moab, but within an hour drive.  I know it's after the official dates, but may be worth hanging around Utah for an extra night.  We take a drive down to the cheese factory in Beaver once a year or so just for kicks and giggles.  We might just schedule the trip for the 14th so we can catch it.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2023, 11:14:46 AM »
@10dollarsatatime, we drive through the area 4-6 times/year. We look for fun things to do along the way. Please tell me more about the cheese factory in Beaver. I love cheese!

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2023, 11:22:03 AM »
@10dollarsatatime, we drive through the area 4-6 times/year. We look for fun things to do along the way. Please tell me more about the cheese factory in Beaver. I love cheese!

https://thecreameryutah.com/

It's far more touristy and overpriced than it used to be, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the place.  Our family always stopped on our way to or from southern Utah for cheap cheese.  That's not a thing anymore.  We still buy cheese curds, a few kinds of fancy cheese, and some ice cream after eating at the restaurant.  Also, it's one of the first awkward dates that DH and I went on, before we considered what we were doing as dating.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2023, 11:30:43 AM »

https://thecreameryutah.com/

It's far more touristy and overpriced than it used to be, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the place.  Our family always stopped on our way to or from southern Utah for cheap cheese.  That's not a thing anymore.  We still buy cheese curds, a few kinds of fancy cheese, and some ice cream after eating at the restaurant.  Also, it's one of the first awkward dates that DH and I went on, before we considered what we were doing as dating.
Hmmm, kind of reminds me of this one: https://www.hilmar.com/visitor-center/ No deals there either, but fun to do once.

Still, it might be a fun way to break up the drive. Thanks!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2023, 12:42:45 PM »
Since you’ll all be in SE Utah anyway, I thought I’d invite you to stay just a bit longer so you can see this!!!

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2023-october-14

I plan to stay in the SE Utah area to see this.  Anyone else?

Thanks for the reminder, @10dollarsatatime !

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2023, 12:47:14 PM »
Thx @NinetyFour for putting together the roll call. I’m at the campground Oct 6-13. I may stay in the area longer if the weather is nice to visit more spots.

That's great.  Not sure what my plans are after the 13th, but I might hang out in the area for a bit longer as well.  Definitely want to get to a scenic and quiet spot for the eclipse.

@NinetyFour Thanks for the roll call—we'll be in the hostel house with @meadow lark and the gang!

Got it--thanks!

Count me convinced! I've booked a refundable flight just in case something comes up, but I'm hoping to make it.

I've been traveling loads for education/work opportunities in the last few years, but I don't think I've taken a 100% "for pleasure" trip since family vacations as a child, so this is momentous! Haha

Same dates as @314159, and I'll be one more for the hostel house (:

Sounds great--looking forward to meeting you!

FFF, Muppet, and I are cabining this year, Oct 6-13.

Great--thanks!

Shadowmoss is locked into G3.  I just.kept.reminding folks about @meadow lark having the house.

Got it--thanks!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2023, 12:52:32 PM »
@NinetyFour we are there the whole week of the meetup. 6-13.

Got it--thanks!

Aww this is definitely unfortunate!!  :(  However, I think I remember you saying that she needed a knee replacement at some point, so it's good that she is getting it done.  We will sure miss you, though!!

I'm also curious about your "big plans for 2024"!!  Hope they involve lots of fun and not very much work!  :)  And of course, I hope to see you in Moab next October!

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2023, 01:30:53 PM »
Anyway, I don't know that it's been brought up in the thread yet, but the path of the Annular eclipse goes right through Utah on the morning of the 14th.  Not over Moab, but within an hour drive.  I know it's after the official dates, but may be worth hanging around Utah for an extra night.  We take a drive down to the cheese factory in Beaver once a year or so just for kicks and giggles.  We might just schedule the trip for the 14th so we can catch it.

Thanks for mentioning that! I took my son to the planetarium in Vancouver for the last eclipse around here (2017?) and it was a very cool experience. I still have my viewing glass (shade 14 welding glass in a cardboard frame). I was already thinking about shifting my dates around a bit...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2023, 01:42:21 PM »
Is Goblin Valley State Park in the path? It's an International Dark Sky Park. There is great hiking there (thanks to the mustachians who recommended it last year), there is also fantastic dispersed camping on the road that leads into the park.