Author Topic: Edmonton  (Read 17548 times)

lostamonkey

• Bristles
Re: Edmonton
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 11:56:10 AM »
Weeknights are generally good for me (but I'm away most of next week). Thanks for replying - I'll see future replies sooner now that I've enabled the notifier (duh!). :)

I'm good with south Edmonton (I unmustachianly commute to Leduc) or west.

Would Tuesday December 6th at around 6:00pm somewhere in the south side work for both of you?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »

Would Tuesday December 6th at around 6:00pm somewhere in the south side work for both of you?
[/quote]

That works for me. I will put it in my calendar as tentative for now.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »

That works for me. I will put it in my calendar as tentative for now.
[/quote]

Yep, me too.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2016, 01:23:29 PM »
Where should we meet? Last meetup was at a park but I think it's too cold to do that now. We could meet at a bar, a coffee shop, or a restaurant.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2016, 03:07:01 PM »
Where should we meet? Last meetup was at a park but I think it's too cold to do that now. We could meet at a bar, a coffee shop, or a restaurant.
Coffee shop is my preference. Likely the easiest to talk. I haven't lived here long enough to have a preferred one.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »
There's a Second Cup in South Common (9832 - 22 Ave.). Shall we do that?

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2016, 09:01:38 PM »

That works for me.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2016, 09:30:20 PM »

That works for me.

Yep, that's great. I look forward to meeting you two (and anyone else who wants to join obviously).

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »
I just want to confirm that you both are still in for Tuesday? And if anyone else wants to join they are more than welcome.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2016, 09:09:46 PM »
I just want to confirm that you both are still in for Tuesday? And if anyone else wants to join they are more than welcome.

Yes, I'm still in! Looking forward to meeting both of you, as well as anyone else who shows up. I'll be wearing a rainbow-striped scarf.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:18 PM »
Yep, me too. I'm an almost 40 white lady with greyish, curlyish shoulder length hair. I had no idea about clothes before (and mostly wear neutral colours) but given the weather change I'll likely have a black coat and purple scarf.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 05:36:49 PM »
I am a guy in my mid twenties. I'm coming straight from work so I'll be wearing dress pants, a blue sweater and a black coat.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 06:18:09 PM »
I can't find this place! I'll look for 5 more minutes before I give up.

lostamonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
It was nice meeting the both of you tonight.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 09:33:34 AM »

Thanks. You, too. It was worth leaving the house and braving the weather and roads. Definitely need reasons to go out in the winter.

CanaDuh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
Hello -

West Edmontonian, born and raised.. (*cough*)

Posting to follow!

Regards,

pekklemafia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
Posting to follow - yay Edmonton!

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 11:03:41 PM »

Thanks. You, too. It was worth leaving the house and braving the weather and roads. Definitely need reasons to go out in the winter.

Hey! It was nice meeting the two of you as well. Somehow these comments escaped my notice until months later. Sorry about that *red face*! :)

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 07:52:10 AM »
Greetings new people!
Let me know if you want another meet-up. I'm pretty busy with groups I'm already in, so not likely to organize stuff here but I may attend.
If you're on Meetup.com you might be interested in my Meetup group "Let's Talk About Money". My next meeting is May 2.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2017, 05:05:20 PM »
Greetings new people!
Let me know if you want another meet-up. I'm pretty busy with groups I'm already in, so not likely to organize stuff here but I may attend.
If you're on Meetup.com you might be interested in my Meetup group "Let's Talk About Money". My next meeting is May 2.

Is your Meetup for profit or social?

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2017, 06:30:45 PM »
Greetings new people!

A bit of both. It`s very light marketing. I have a topic in mind, and some discussion questions prepared, but people are welcome to talk about whatever they want. I try to make sure the attendees get to talk at least as much as I do, if not more. I don't charge for the Meetups at all. (Currently losing money on it.)

But I do have the financial planning and insurance business, so it's a way for people to get to know me and consider whether they need my services.

I haven't had much interest lately, though. Maybe it's because it's the summer. I'll keep it going for 6 more months, then shut it down if I'm still not getting enough interest.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
Greetings new people!

A bit of both. It`s very light marketing. I have a topic in mind, and some discussion questions prepared, but people are welcome to talk about whatever they want. I try to make sure the attendees get to talk at least as much as I do, if not more. I don't charge for the Meetups at all. (Currently losing money on it.)

But I do have the financial planning and insurance business, so it's a way for people to get to know me and consider whether they need my services.

I haven't had much interest lately, though. Maybe it's because it's the summer. I'll keep it going for 6 more months, then shut it down if I'm still not getting enough interest.

Thanks for the clarification.  I am finding that it is harder and harder to find truly social Meetups now so I hesitate joining them. I have no issue with businesses using meetup, I just wish the site would make it mandatory to clearly advertise the fact on the about page, usually you only find this out after you go through the process of requesting and being admitted to the closed group.

I don't need your services, so I won't join, but good luck with the group. 

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
I was bored today and found we do have a Mustachian thread for Edmonton. I live in the Park.

Posting to follow for now.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2017, 09:58:17 PM »
I was bored today and found we do have a Mustachian thread for Edmonton. I live in the Park.

Hey!

Are you in the Mustachian Canadians FB group? There's a meetup this weekend at a campground near Sylvan Lake area. Some people are camping. Some of us are just driving down to visit. No definite day/time yet though.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »

Hey!

Are you in the Mustachian Canadians FB group? There's a meetup this weekend at a campground near Sylvan Lake area. Some people are camping. Some of us are just driving down to visit. No definite day/time yet though.
No, but I'll join that as well. I'm a shift worker, so I often work weekends this one included. Hopefully I'll be able to attend a more local meetup in the future though.

ritchiewall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2018, 09:32:35 AM »
Hey there.

I know this is an old thread (a newer one is posted) but I've sent a few PMs to various people in this group to see if they are interested in a meetup. It's not for profit for me, more than I want to meet with like-minded people to share knowledge. If anyone is interested, then please send me a PM and we can see what we can get sorted out!

THanks

civicHB

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:37 AM »
I am also from Edmonton. Would be interested in meeting if times aligned.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »
I'm always interested in meetups. You should check out the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ChooseFIAlberta/
We talk about meetups there. Everyone is so busy, it is hard.

You can find me on FB at Meena Kestirke. I usually find that's the easiest way to arrange events.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 02:51:36 PM »
Posting to follow!  Somehow this thread escaped my notice. 

I'm planning to FIRE in 2018 so I'm busying figuring out all the last year of work details.

kmart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2018, 08:09:23 PM »
I would also be interested in a meet up of just sharing ideas with no type of agenda. Any time I talk about FI at a younger age (which I'm projecting myself to do), people look at me like I'm crazy.

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »
I'm from Edmonton as well and would love to meet up. :)

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2018, 01:15:20 PM »
Any time I talk about FI at a younger age (which I'm projecting myself to do), people look at me like I'm crazy.

I just say that I want to "retire early". People think 55-60. I keep to myself that they're wrong by a couple decades :)

But for me early retirement is not "doing nothing", it's just doing only what I want to do, without thinking about money.

kmart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2018, 10:37:45 PM »
I know with these things its really hard to get schedules to line up so I'll throw this out there. I was planning to do some work at second cup on 34th and Gateway this Saturday (Feb 3rd) so I don't know if 11:00 AM would work but I'll be there. If anyone is interested either PM me or reply here. I'd enjoy talking to people at any stage they are at, I'm just looking for like minded people because I've been lone wolfing it for a while now. I'm hoping I can be FI in 6-7 years.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
I know with these things its really hard to get schedules to line up so I'll throw this out there. I was planning to do some work at second cup on 34th and Gateway this Saturday (Feb 3rd) so I don't know if 11:00 AM would work but I'll be there. If anyone is interested either PM me or reply here. I'd enjoy talking to people at any stage they are at, I'm just looking for like minded people because I've been lone wolfing it for a while now. I'm hoping I can be FI in 6-7 years.

I can probably make that.

Also I’m hosting this Meetup there tomorrow if anyone is interested. Join me at Scarcity, Abundance, and Enough Discussion http://meetu.ps/e/DLNtD/tvJn1/a

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2018, 11:24:33 PM »
I’m open to another meet up. This Saturday does not work, but if something else comes up that does, I am watching this thread and will try to attend.

MoneyMouse

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »
Also I’m hosting this Meetup there tomorrow if anyone is interested. Join me at Scarcity, Abundance, and Enough Discussion http://meetu.ps/e/DLNtD/tvJn1/a

That looks like a really neat topic! I'd love to, but unfortunately I'm at karate class tonight - but if you're cool to discuss this via posts in my journal or another topic altogether, I'd love that!

Wow, that's an awesome timeline! Congrats!
I'm, again, unfortunately at karate, but I'd swing by otherwise. That's a great idea to just go out and work somewhere and put out there that you'd be good to meet folks, though. I might do that as well in the coming weeks.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2018, 09:27:33 PM »

I won't be showing up after all. Too much work, which is a good thing for my business, less so for my social life.
Another time!

kmart

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: February 03, 2018, 10:42:30 AM »
No problem guys, tough day with lots of snow too. Keep this post active and if anyone else has ideas please share.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2018, 02:37:25 PM »
I'm planning to do a YMOYL discussion group, if anyone is interested.

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Looks like this thread hasn't been active for a while, but thought I'd check in. I'm in Edmonton for the weekend and was wondering if anyone wanted to meet up for coffee tomorrow afternoon? I'm staying downtown near 109th/Jasper. Sorry for the late notice!