Author Topic: DC meetup hosting Arebelspy 11/7/2014  (Read 3836 times)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
DC meetup hosting Arebelspy 11/7/2014
« on: November 06, 2014, 07:34:26 PM »
If you are interested you can join the google group to get the address. It's at 7pm in Columbia Heights.

Longwaytogo

Re: DC meetup hosting Arebelspy 11/7/2014
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
Sooo... I'm hoping to make it down tonight; though I'm a bit nervous that I'll be the "least mustachain" one there. As long as everyone keeps the face punches in the virtual world; I should be OK.. I wear glasses :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »
So all the DC Mustachians are incredible.  My wife and I had a great time meeting everyone.

HUGE thanks to jfer_rose, what a great hostess!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
So all the DC Mustachians are incredible.  My wife and I had a great time meeting everyone.

HUGE thanks to jfer_rose, what a great hostess!  :)

I had a great time, too!  So nice to get a chance to meet the two of you, as well as a bunch of other DC folks.  I hope your wife got to at least some of today's workshop.

Seconding the thanks for jfer_rose.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
I'll third the thank you to jfer_rose for hosting!

Also was nice to meet you and your wife arebelspy. I was the guy you walked back to hotel/metro with.

Lastly if anyone out there is on the fence on attending a meetup I say DO IT. Even if you don't get a specific tip or trick out of it; just meeting local people walking the walk is really inspirational. For someone like me that's early in the journey it was cool to meet people about to retire at 30, a 34 year old 4 years away from paying off their 30 year mortgage, someone living in a studio with a Murphy bed, a woman with a 2013 savings rate of 76%, etc..  Obviously MMM accomplished these things but it's easy to make excuses and say "he had a good salary, no kids, low COL, etc." but seeing others doing it in real life was just awesome.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »
Another thanks here to jfer_rose !

Lastly if anyone out there is on the fence on attending a meetup I say DO IT. Even if you don't get a specific tip or trick out of it; just meeting local people walking the walk is really inspirational.

This was my fourth meetup, and each time I take away something different.  Last time, it was setting a FIRE date - I'd been saying "five more years" for the the last three.  Someone called me out on it, and I actually picked a year.  So +1 for meetups!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 08:55:06 PM »

This was my fourth meetup, and each time I take away something different.  Last time, it was setting a FIRE date - I'd been saying "five more years" for the the last three.  Someone called me out on it, and I actually picked a year.  So +1 for meetups!

Hah, that's awesome!

That's me with kids. It's been "two to three more years" for like 6 years.  Soon though!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
I wasn't sure how to reply encouragingly, without coming off creepy: "Yah. Go for it!" "Set a date now!" or "You can do it!" Anyway, as long as the two of you are on the same page wrt, I'm sure the timing/plan will come together.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 09:27:46 AM »
I can't believe I missed this meetup. I was in Waldorf the whole month of Nov.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
I can't believe I missed this meetup. I was in Waldorf the whole month of Nov.

Do let us know if/when you are back in the area.  We DC locals have been getting together every few months.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 09:53:40 PM »
thegoblinchief is going to be in Baltimore over the holidays. I don't know if people are getting together or not.