Poll

Which day are you available (vote for all appropriate)?

24th November
3 (30%)
1st December
2 (20%)
8th December
3 (30%)
15th December
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Canberra  (Read 159091 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Canberra
« Reply #300 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
So Arebelspy is possibly coming to our neck of the woods. It was suggested (probably by me and there was some enthusiasm), that we could have an all day, or even a weekend event:

The Gungahlin Library has rooms that are available free to us because we are a non-incorporated group with a learning outcome - they even have their own kitchen, but we would have to ask specially if we wanted hot food. These rooms are available both on Saturday (when the library is open) and Sunday (when it is shut) because the rooms have a separate entry to the library.

We could have sessions, with a leader - for instance on solar panels, investment, property (there are people who have come to the Canberra meetups who could lead each of those sessions, if we twisted their arm) - so please suggest sessions you want, or could lead. I think this could be reasonably laid back, with a list of sessions, that everyone votes for, and the one with the most votes goes to the top of the list, and we come to them in order of interest. If we want time to just chat, we can do that at any stage.

There are BBQs in the area, so we could easily have one at around dinner time, and keep everything cool in the refrigerator in the library room. And we could have a cold lunch.

I have put suggested dates up the top in the poll, please nominate.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2016, 03:47:31 AM »
Sorry to those who had already replied - I had to change the poll as it didn't actually ask what I wanted to know. I had to delete the votes that had already happened. Please fill it out again if you already had.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
I finally voted for the first two weekends. I didn't vote for one or 2 days because I don't really care either way.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2016, 08:30:26 PM »
from what I can see, Arebelspy won't be coming to our neck of the woods until March. Since this is the case, do we want to go ahead with a one day event in February, or do we want to do it when he is around?

The other question is if we do put off the one or two day event, do we want a normal event in February as well?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »
I think it would be best to put the bigger event off til Joe comes in March. I'd be up for a regular meet up in Feb if there is interest.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
I think it would be best to put the bigger event off til Joe comes in March. I'd be up for a regular meet up in Feb if there is interest.
+1 or, as we used to say in the olden days, ditto.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to be selfish.

Yay, we're looking forward to it!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
Well, ARS isn't coming. And I think I am partly to blame. However, I have learnt that when you make a suggestion, ARS does the opposite.

He was coming back to Australia in January, and wanted to see the outback. I told him that January was pretty hot in the outback, and suggested Tasmania OR New Zealand, instead. He agreed, and told me he would come here at the end of February and be around Canberra and Sydney for March. (Secretly, I think he's keener on seeing Sydney than Canberra.)

THEN, he saw a RV relocation to go to Perth from Melbourne, so they went back to Castlemaine in January (not NZ or Tassie), and went to Perth in the first full week of February. Maybe I wasn't explicit about just where outback Australia was. They were then going to NZ and back to Sydney and Canberra for March. This sounded a bit of a stretch to me.

THEN they realised that things were too tight, so they are staying in WA for a week, departing for NZ and then back to northern climes for the rest of the year.

I think he now realises that things ARE a bit hot in January, and driving through the second wettest day that part of WA has had in recorded history probably wasn't on his bucket list. But it's the sort of experience that people remember in later years.

So, getting back to our next meetup, when would you like it to be?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:06 AM »
Well I'm jealous the Perth Girls got to meet ARS and family and we didn't, but then being footloose and fancy free is what retirement is all about. I reckon sooner or later They'll make it to Sydney and we can either lure him down to Canberra or trek up to Sydney to meet up.

I did say I was available this coming weekend but now I'm not. So late Feb, or March?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
All of the above two posts are true.  I'm a bit bummed we're not getting out that way this time, but we definitely will make it happen at some point!  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #310 on: March 11, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »
Well, I think it's about time I posted another set of times. I suggest the Arboretum, as it has been nice, and the weather is good at the moment. Please vote for the times that suit you.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #311 on: March 11, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
Posting to follow as one day we'll make it to Canberra... I definitely can't do March and DH is away early April but I might be able to get there.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: March 12, 2017, 03:53:06 AM »
Arboretum would be rad!

Can't do the 9th of April, can do the rest.

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: March 12, 2017, 04:13:06 AM »
Hi Deborah

Has it got to be Canberra?  Too far for me to drive there and come back on same day...

If we say have an alternative, say mid way between Canberra and Sydney, maybe we can attract a few Sydneysiders?

BTW March totally out for me sorry!

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: March 12, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
My calendar is clear for any of those dates.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
Hi Deborah

Has it got to be Canberra?  Too far for me to drive there and come back on same day...

If we say have an alternative, say mid way between Canberra and Sydney, maybe we can attract a few Sydneysiders?

A little bit of history.

Marty998 started a Sydney meetup thread. Some of us tried to get that going, and even tried to have a couple of meetups in between the two places. None of this worked out, although Ozstache and I managed to meet Marty998 in Bowral one day (after the Canberra meetups started). Eventually, I started the Canberra thread, and we got a Canberra meetup going.  Even after that, we tried a couple of times to get a meetup in between the two places. Now there is a Sydney meetup happening, and they appear to be very active.

I would be happy to go to a halfway meetup. Although I have organised almost all the Canberra meetups, there is also no reason why someone else can organise a meetup on this thread, or on another one (I think using this thread or the Sydney thread would be better, as people know about them), for Canberra or somewhere midway between Sydney and Canberra. It is a meetup for MMM people - not for Deborah! And I will happily come along.

However, since the Sydney people have managed to get meetups happening and have a wonderful meeting schedule, I certainly don't want to destroy it (I just wish I could manage to get to it) by organising meetups very close to Sydney!

Abundant life

• Bristles
« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2017, 02:08:10 AM »
Hi Deborah

It is a long drive, I've done it before, but I'm thinking of combining it with a visit to the National Gallery for the Versailles exhibition. That way I can stay overnight, and get two experiences for the price of one! (Well one is free anyway lol)

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2017, 02:38:50 AM »
Ah, the frenetic schedule of a retiree ;)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #318 on: March 13, 2017, 03:37:44 AM »
Ah, the frenetic schedule of a retiree ;)
Too right! I do most activities during the working week so that I can hibernate at home on weekends, when workers are out roaming my normally quiet neighbourhood. :)

Special treat for this next gathering: Mrs Ozstache, as a newly minted FIREe, should be joining us (as long as it's not 9 Apr, when one of us needs to be at home to look after 3 rowdy nephews).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:43:25 AM by Ozstache »

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #319 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:01 PM »
Thanks Deborah for that history bit!   Would have loved to attend but just a little wee bit far for me...have a good one!

Oztache well done on that coup with the Wife!

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: March 14, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
Arboretum would be rad!

Can't do the 9th of April, can do the rest.

The 26th is also off - Mum and Dad are in town.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: March 14, 2017, 04:44:59 PM »
I'm keen on the Arboretum too.  Flexible on timing

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2017, 04:17:54 AM »
The Arboretum was nice last time.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2017, 01:24:08 PM »
So 2nd of April good for everyone? Can we lock it in?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2017, 01:58:07 PM »
Sounds good

Abundant life

• Bristles
« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2017, 04:13:46 PM »
No good for me, but I'm a ring in anyway! Have fun everyone.

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #326 on: March 20, 2017, 10:04:21 PM »
I've just moved house and got a puppy, so things are a little hectic for me at the moment. Hope to make it to the next one!

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
I am in Sydney but wouldn't mind coming down for the day to meet more Mustachians. If I'm welcome, I can make the 2nd.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »
Anyone is welcome! The Arboretum has a picnic area at the Himalayan Cedar Forest which is rather nice, and where we meet - free parking (the main Arboretum car park is not free), bus stop, bbqs and space age toilets as well as incredible views across Canberra.

HOWEVER

I have just looked, and they are opening 4 new gardens on 2nd April - from 12 - 3, so it may not be the best place to meet or we could meet at 11am to avoid the crowds and get a picnic table and bbq. I suspect the crowds will be at the main car park and around that vicinity, so we may be away from all the hoopla.

So what do you think?

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #329 on: March 25, 2017, 12:07:34 AM »
1. Yes, dusty, YESSSSSSSSSSS

2. 11 works for me, but there's also a raft of other options (Talopea Park, foreshore, Regatta Point, etc). I kind of feel we just need to say 'we'll be in (place) from x-y, please come when you are free all'.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: March 25, 2017, 04:27:57 AM »
I'm hoping to come, but might be a non-starter depending. My old folks are needing attention again and I'm not sure if I'll need to be in Sydney.
11am is OK with me, I'll just make an earlier start. Any location is OK, as long as its not too hard to find for an out-of-towner ( yes, I know thats almost anywhere in Canberra, all those roads just go round in circles, but I've managed so far)..

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #331 on: March 28, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
More problems, so I won't be able to make it on 2nd April.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: March 28, 2017, 08:34:51 PM »
I plan to be at the Arboretum from 11am, so if people arrive when they arrive, that is OK. If rain is predicted on the day, I will send a message out before 9am to meet at an alternative venue, since the undercover parts of the Arboretum will probably be full. Any suggestions about what the alternative could be would be gratefully received.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:42 AM »
And I just realised I will miss out meeting Lonermatt, maker of great photos :( .    You'll have to come to the next one Lonermatt.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2017, 01:36:34 PM »
Thanks Happy - I'll be around :)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2017, 11:50:43 PM »
I'm 60% at this stage.  Hope to be there.

Also, note that daylight savings changes that morning, so 11am winter time I presume!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #336 on: March 30, 2017, 12:48:01 AM »
I'm 60% at this stage.  Hope to be there.

Also, note that daylight savings changes that morning, so 11am winter time I presume!
Yes - and as previously said, 11am is when people START to rock up, not when you HAVE to rock up!

The Watchman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #337 on: March 30, 2017, 11:33:23 AM »
Thanks Deborah. I should be there on Sunday.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2017, 05:20:44 AM »
I'll be bringing brownies.

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2017, 03:16:59 PM »
Found out last night my roster has been changed and I am on nights this weekend. :(

I'm going to have to pass sorry guys.0

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: March 31, 2017, 03:33:24 PM »
Dusty nooooo!

So there should be (barring any illness, vehicular problems or other commitments that spring up):
Deb
Me
The Watchman
Mr and Mrs Ozstache
60% of BCB

Am I missing anyone?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:52:19 PM by LonerMatt »

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #341 on: March 31, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
Am I missing anyone?

Mrs Ozstache and I plan to be there.

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
Updated!

I might see if my gf wants to come along - I doubt it but you never know. I can't stay long maybe only an hour or two, but that's fine, it's good to see who we see :)

LonerMatt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #343 on: April 01, 2017, 04:49:52 PM »
Hey guys, went walking to Mount Gingera yesterday and fell down on the way back down Stockyard Spur (which is an insane walk, by the way). I'm really trying to rest up today since I ride my bike from Kingston to Kambah to work and it's the only option I have.

I might make it over but I doubt it, we'll see if the buses are forgiving.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #344 on: April 03, 2017, 11:48:02 PM »
Sorry I didn't make it.  Hopefully I can make the next one! 

S4mkca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #345 on: April 07, 2017, 03:42:19 AM »
Hi,
Just joined.  Soooo did the meetup go ahead?  Im keen for Canberra meetups but work away a bit at present which could be challenging.
Sounds like a small group in Canberra? not really keen to travel halfway to Sydney.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #346 on: April 07, 2017, 04:26:59 AM »
We had a small select group at the meetup. It was very enjoyable. The sun shone, the company was good - what more can you ask?

As many people missed out, how soon would you like the next meet up?

S4mkca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #347 on: April 08, 2017, 12:45:44 AM »
Sounds good.
i am back in Canberra on leave 13-18 April but it is Easter and School holidays.  If that works for anyone? i expect a few of you are retired already at any rate? If not ill keep monitoring this for the next one!
steve

dusty

• Stubble
« Reply #348 on: April 08, 2017, 03:41:52 AM »
I definitely can come down for saturday or Sunday. My Sister and her family live in Canberra and I need to visit them at some stage so it would work well.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #349 on: April 08, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
Not available on Sunday, but could make Easter Sat.