Poll

Which weekends are you available (vote for all appropriate)?

4 - 5 February
4 (17.4%)
11 - 12 February
4 (17.4%)
18 - 19 February
4 (17.4%)
Saturday only
0 (0%)
Sunday only
0 (0%)
Both
5 (21.7%)
I want a one day session
2 (8.7%)
I want a two day session
4 (17.4%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Canberra  (Read 33770 times)

deborah

• Magnum Stache
Re: Canberra
« Reply #300 on: November 23, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
So Arebelspy is possibly coming to our neck of the woods. It was suggested (probably by me and there was some enthusiasm), that we could have an all day, or even a weekend event:

The Gungahlin Library has rooms that are available free to us because we are a non-incorporated group with a learning outcome - they even have their own kitchen, but we would have to ask specially if we wanted hot food. These rooms are available both on Saturday (when the library is open) and Sunday (when it is shut) because the rooms have a separate entry to the library.

We could have sessions, with a leader - for instance on solar panels, investment, property (there are people who have come to the Canberra meetups who could lead each of those sessions, if we twisted their arm) - so please suggest sessions you want, or could lead. I think this could be reasonably laid back, with a list of sessions, that everyone votes for, and the one with the most votes goes to the top of the list, and we come to them in order of interest. If we want time to just chat, we can do that at any stage.

There are BBQs in the area, so we could easily have one at around dinner time, and keep everything cool in the refrigerator in the library room. And we could have a cold lunch.

I have put suggested dates up the top in the poll, please nominate.

deborah

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2016, 03:47:31 AM »
Sorry to those who had already replied - I had to change the poll as it didn't actually ask what I wanted to know. I had to delete the votes that had already happened. Please fill it out again if you already had.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
I finally voted for the first two weekends. I didn't vote for one or 2 days because I don't really care either way.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

deborah

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: December 18, 2016, 08:30:26 PM »
from what I can see, Arebelspy won't be coming to our neck of the woods until March. Since this is the case, do we want to go ahead with a one day event in February, or do we want to do it when he is around?

The other question is if we do put off the one or two day event, do we want a normal event in February as well?

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #304 on: December 19, 2016, 03:21:19 AM »
I think it would be best to put the bigger event off til Joe comes in March. I'd be up for a regular meet up in Feb if there is interest.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #305 on: December 19, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
I think it would be best to put the bigger event off til Joe comes in March. I'd be up for a regular meet up in Feb if there is interest.
+1 or, as we used to say in the olden days, ditto.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to be selfish.

Yay, we're looking forward to it!  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

deborah

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: February 14, 2017, 07:19:35 PM »
Well, ARS isn't coming. And I think I am partly to blame. However, I have learnt that when you make a suggestion, ARS does the opposite.

He was coming back to Australia in January, and wanted to see the outback. I told him that January was pretty hot in the outback, and suggested Tasmania OR New Zealand, instead. He agreed, and told me he would come here at the end of February and be around Canberra and Sydney for March. (Secretly, I think he's keener on seeing Sydney than Canberra.)

THEN, he saw a RV relocation to go to Perth from Melbourne, so they went back to Castlemaine in January (not NZ or Tassie), and went to Perth in the first full week of February. Maybe I wasn't explicit about just where outback Australia was. They were then going to NZ and back to Sydney and Canberra for March. This sounded a bit of a stretch to me.

THEN they realised that things were too tight, so they are staying in WA for a week, departing for NZ and then back to northern climes for the rest of the year.

I think he now realises that things ARE a bit hot in January, and driving through the second wettest day that part of WA has had in recorded history probably wasn't on his bucket list. But it's the sort of experience that people remember in later years.

So, getting back to our next meetup, when would you like it to be?

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #308 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:06 AM »
Well I'm jealous the Perth Girls got to meet ARS and family and we didn't, but then being footloose and fancy free is what retirement is all about. I reckon sooner or later They'll make it to Sydney and we can either lure him down to Canberra or trek up to Sydney to meet up.

I did say I was available this coming weekend but now I'm not. So late Feb, or March?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: February 15, 2017, 07:03:58 AM »
All of the above two posts are true.  I'm a bit bummed we're not getting out that way this time, but we definitely will make it happen at some point!  :D
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."