Poll

Which day are you available (vote for all appropriate)?

24th November
3 (30%)
1st December
2 (20%)
8th December
3 (30%)
15th December
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: Canberra  (Read 159077 times)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Canberra
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2015, 11:39:06 PM »
Well, we look to be going for 24th or 31st - would you like the Arboretum? or the Ozstache lake is probably really good too?

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2015, 02:49:02 AM »
Had a roster change - I can do 31st but not 24th. 

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 20, 2015, 02:53:24 AM »
I won't commit to a date or travel, but if we find ourselves in town when you plan to meet we will drop by. :)

Evangeline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Nil Barcode Food
« Reply #203 on: December 20, 2015, 03:25:40 AM »
Same, I won't commit either due to the vagaries of a newborn but if I can make it I will.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: January 18, 2016, 02:50:24 AM »
Personally I prefer Ozstache lake since I know where that is, being an out of towner. But I don't feel strongly, either venue will be fine.

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: January 18, 2016, 02:12:33 PM »
Sorry everyone, as many of our usual crowd know, my partner arrived just before the last meetup I went to in February. Her visa runs out soon and is leaving on the day after this meetup, so I'll be with her that day.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2016, 11:48:12 PM »
***OFF TOPIC ALERT***

Best ADSL in Canberra? 100-300Gb/month expected usage. Maybe some Netflix. Got a friend who has just moved back. Apologies for the thread derail in advance.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2016, 01:46:42 AM »
I don't think we will be able to make this one. Maybe next time. :)

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2016, 01:47:14 AM »
Personally for ADSL I would be more worried about location (i.e. distance to the exchange) than provider if you want speed/are able to get ADSL at all... Most of Tuggeranong has crap internet as an FYI.  Gungahlin and Molonglo Valley areas have NBN, Queanbeyan is soon to have NBN.  A fair chunk of the northern suburbs have an additional option of VDSL from Transact which is a more expensive option.

I'm afraid I can't answer your question for prices/performance, but I will say that iiNet (so iiNet and Internode) and Optus made deals with Netflix so the content is unmetered.  You could also try over here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/92

Edit:

There are links to the broadband quality/speeds that the government did here. https://www.mybroadband.communications.gov.au/reports.aspx
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:51:10 AM by agent_clone »

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2016, 06:05:13 AM »
Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2016, 03:51:39 AM »
OK - it will be Ozstache lake on 31st January - as you can see in  reply 113 and 121 in this thread. What about 12noon? There are free bbqs and under cover tables. People do fish in the lake if you want to bring your fishing gear, but I'd be surprised if they found anything other than carp.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2016, 03:57:17 AM »
Cool, thanks for organising. Something's come up on that morning (still TBC) so I might have a clash but hopefully will be able to do both. Is it a bring food to share, or just bring your own lunch for yourself?

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2016, 04:02:26 AM »
Bring your lunch for yourself - people will probably bring a bit much and share it, but we appear to have some people on restrictive diets of various sorts.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2016, 01:22:52 AM »
Are we still on for Sunday at 12? :)

Evangeline

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Nil Barcode Food
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2016, 02:27:45 AM »
Sorry I won't be able to make it again. We've having a very hectic jan/feb and this weekend is our only downtime.
P.S. Does anyone have recommendations for a good accountant/tax advisor to help us set up our discretionary family trust?
P.P.S. How do you stay mustachian with a new baby? We're trying our hardest (getting a lot of second hand things or simply doing without things etc) but I feel like we could do better.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2016, 02:39:54 AM »
Are we still on for Sunday at 12? :)
YES

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2016, 03:01:30 AM »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #217 on: January 31, 2016, 01:04:07 AM »
We had a great time at the meetup today. The wind was rather brisk, so after half an hour (in case anyone arrived a bit later) we adjourned to the OzStache abode, and had a good discussion about things Mustachian.

I guess the next meetup will be in about 2 months - so the end of March or beginning of April. Does anyone have any particular dates for this, or suggested meetup locations? I guess an indoor venue might be best.

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2016, 01:17:23 AM »
Especially at that time of year, yes, indoor will be best. I wish I could have been there today, but as I said before, the partner that I was so excited to have over for the whole year is going back tomorrow for a few months between visas.

I'll definitely be at the next one if it is in April. The last weekend in March is Easter, so there might be less people in Canberra. So the weekend of the 2nd/3rd, 9th/10th would probably be best, although I know Celebrate Gungahlin will be on the 2nd, which I will be at!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2016, 03:25:41 AM »
We had a great time at the meetup today. The wind was rather brisk, so after half an hour (in case anyone arrived a bit later) we adjourned to the OzStache abode, and had a good discussion about things Mustachian.

We did indeed. I really enjoyed seeing everyone.  I ask myself if its really worth it to drive 2.5 hours to Canberra but somehow it just is.  I like to meet people from the forum IRL. 

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #220 on: January 31, 2016, 03:39:46 AM »
I really wanted to be there today, but I haven't been feeling the best this weekend, so I rested instead. Hope to make it next time.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 31, 2016, 04:04:28 AM »
Thanks for hosting, Ozstache! I'm glad I managed to make it today :)

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #222 on: January 31, 2016, 04:30:25 AM »
No worries. It was good to catch up with everyone. I hope the cuteness of my growing beagle collection offset their ravenous attempts to share our lunch!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2016, 12:46:44 AM »
I reckon it's more than time for another meetup - I have changed the poll. There have been rumblings that we should have another.

At the library, or somewhere else?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 12:50:13 AM by deborah »

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2016, 03:09:10 AM »
Hi Deborah, you're back? I did just mention it to Ozstache on my journal, rumble, rumble :)

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #225 on: June 21, 2016, 05:36:36 AM »
I don't think I've been to a meet-up since January 2015. Too long!

All of July works. Everyone should just note that July 2 is election day, so those of us that will be travelling (happy) will need to plan ahead!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2016, 03:38:55 PM »
I can't do the 2nd in any case, but thanks for reminding me - with my low information diet I keep forgetting when its on.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #227 on: June 30, 2016, 09:13:37 PM »
I think 23rd July will be good. I can't make it on 9th now, and 9th and 23rd had the most votes.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #228 on: July 03, 2016, 10:07:49 PM »
Thanks for the message. :)

I can't see us making it to this meet up. DH has been working away a lot with his new job and we want to use all the spare days we have to make use of our ski passes. It's not 100% that we will be living in the area next winter, so want to make the most of it.

Perhaps when the weather warms up. :)

P.S. Spent yesterday at Erindale for a dance competition for our daughter. Thought of you all as I went past the library. :)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2016, 06:26:54 PM »
Lets do July 23rd then!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2016, 05:10:29 AM »
I'm in.

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #231 on: July 12, 2016, 05:23:38 AM »
I can do the 23rd. Where are we meeting? Somewhere warm! :)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2016, 06:38:18 PM »
The Gungahlin Library has several meeting rooms that we could have from 1pm to 4pm on Saturday. If this is OK, I will put in the booking form late today.

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
Sounds good to me.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Sounds good. I might have to leave a bit early due to a babysitting commitment.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2016, 01:29:56 AM »
We have been given Training Room 1 at the Gungahlin Library from 1pm to 4pm on 23rd. They have training rooms and community rooms which are both small, and conference rooms which are much bigger. The Training rooms have kitchen facilities, so we can bring tea and coffee type stuff (it is not supplied). I have not asked for permission to have hot food but anyone can bring cold food. The Gungahlin Library customer service desk will open it up for me. I mentioned Mr Money Mustache in the booking, so if I arrive late you should be able to get in. There are groups in the rooms before 1pm. The library closes at 4pm, so I expect we will be chased out slightly prior to that. I guess, if we are still chatting, we could go to one of the cafes in the area.

I have never been there, and I hope parking there is free. I was going to choose Belconnen, but I couldn't see any free parking when I was in the area.

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2016, 05:46:53 AM »
If we get chased out, the bar Young and Frisky just opened up and you can get three pieces of fried chicken for only $20!

I jest.

See you Saturday.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2016, 05:51:04 AM »
Thanks deborah!

If we get chased out, the bar Young and Frisky just opened up and you can get three pieces of fried chicken for only $20!

I jest.

See you Saturday.

I've just noticed what your avatar is. SkyWhale! (did you see it IRL? I did once; it was bizarre and amazing)

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: July 20, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »
Indeed I did. I saw it at its debut at the National Gallery of Australia. Admittedly, I did the only thing you could do when first seeing it, I just started for a long time.

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2016, 06:13:39 PM »
Hi

Can i ask what does one do at a MMM meetup?

My son will be in Canberra for a camp this weekend and if i can persuade DH to drive from Sydney ....

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: July 20, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
err....hope i don't sound too rude with my question....just a lil embarassed as you know...i am kinda Ms Spendy Pants and may not have much to contribute (blush!)

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #241 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:13 PM »
We sit around and talk about whatever we feel like - generally investing, saving and frugality - for instance, Ozstache has been known to talk about the improvements he is doing to his house to make it cheaper to run, including his solar system, and BigChrisB about investments.

There is actually an occasional Sydney meetup - but they have been having it using some other app, so it doesn't come up in the forums. See the Sydney meetup thread, http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/meetups-and-social-events/sydney-meetup/msg1139677/#new - now I have looked at it, there is a meetup on Saturday there as well - http://www.meetup.com/Sydney-Mustachians/events/232165080/

You would be welcome to ours - I would like to meet you in the flesh - but I suggest that it might be easier for you to meet the Sydney people.

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
Tks Deborah for the Sydney link..had a look and can't recognise anyone from this forum?

If i go , it will be to meet you, Happy, Oztache, Bigchris and MsRich Life...:))

I will talk to DH tonight...anyone wants to do an "Airbnb" for DH and me? being MMM and all that?? haha!

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »
Tks Deborah for the Sydney link..had a look and can't recognise anyone from this forum?

If i go , it will be to meet you, Happy, Oztache, Bigchris and MsRich Life...:))

I will talk to DH tonight...anyone wants to do an "Airbnb" for DH and me? being MMM and all that?? haha!
I think that Dungoofed goes to the Sydney meetups - and Marty998 might go. They probably have different names in the different places - send them a message on the actual link.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2016, 03:26:32 AM »
Gockie is also in the Sydney group, she used to post a bit here.
I'm closer to Sydney but haven't been to their meet ups - due to a combination of dates/ times just not suiting - including this meet up clashing, and I've already met the Canberra guys and feel pretty comfortable with that group. I also think living in a regional centre I have more in common with Canberra folk than the usual Sydney preoccupations

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2016, 04:05:07 PM »
DH said yes ! as he left for work this morning....i think we both need a break from work, Sydney and the kids !

Haven't visited Canberra for a while...looking fwd to it..now dashing off to book accomodation...

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2016, 12:20:41 AM »
As we have never met there before, I suppose people need to know where the Gungahlin Library is

Corner of Hibberson and Gozzard streets, Gungahlin ACT

This is the most northern part of Canberra. Canberra is divided into six towns - Gungahlin, Belconnen, Tuggeranong, Woden, Weston and Civic. Each town has a number of suburbs. Some town centres are the same name as the town, others are not. Gungahlin is. You may find you are following signs to "town centre" once you are already in Gungahlin. As I live in the south, we have usually met in Civic or Tuggeranong rather than the north, or across the border in Queanbeyan.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2016, 06:13:51 AM »
Looks pretty simple on googlemaps. Nice and easy if you are coming from the north down the Federal Hwy :)

Ozlady

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2016, 03:40:30 PM »
Leaving in 10 min from Sydney; just trying to arrange where all the kids are going to be:)) ....and it's nice weather here ....

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2016, 05:43:55 PM »
Leaving in about 20min, need to pack lunch and  get petrol on the way.