Author Topic: Canadian couterparts in FI & more  (Read 15498 times)

Legg-Stache

Re: Canadian couterparts in FI & more
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2016, 08:47:23 AM »
Investments? I'm currently using Tangerine's Equity portfolio, but am gearing up the courage to go out on my own with TD e-series.  I was shown the difference in accumulated MER's & wow!!! Tangerine is good, but TD e-series is where it's at! I just have to find the courage to make the jump to managing it all on my own!

TD e-series is a pain in the ass to set up (I think the process took me about 3 weeks with a lot of paper and visits to the bank!) and the advisors will no longer be nice to you when you go in to talk anything about investments (because they do not get rewarded for it), but it is sooooooo worth it if like me you are putting in regular withdrawals (and hopefully benefiting from some dollar cost averaging!) vs lump sums (since Vanguard ETFs are not Pre-Authorized Contribution eligible in Canada from what I can see).

I plan on making moves to Vanguard ETFs sometime in the future, although I have yet to decide when, along with a portfolio overhaul and rebalancing.

I started a more specific thread for London, Kitchener, Waterloo, Brantford area in this meet-ups section if anyone is interested.

Dave99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »
Investments? I'm currently using Tangerine's Equity portfolio, but am gearing up the courage to go out on my own with TD e-series.  I was shown the difference in accumulated MER's & wow!!! Tangerine is good, but TD e-series is where it's at! I just have to find the courage to make the jump to managing it all on my own!

TD e-series is a pain in the ass to set up (I think the process took me about 3 weeks with a lot of paper and visits to the bank!) and the advisors will no longer be nice to you when you go in to talk anything about investments (because they do not get rewarded for it), but it is sooooooo worth it if like me you are putting in regular withdrawals (and hopefully benefiting from some dollar cost averaging!) vs lump sums (since Vanguard ETFs are not Pre-Authorized Contribution eligible in Canada from what I can see).

I plan on making moves to Vanguard ETFs sometime in the future, although I have yet to decide when, along with a portfolio overhaul and rebalancing.

I started a more specific thread for London, Kitchener, Waterloo, Brantford area in this meet-ups section if anyone is interested.

Another one from SW Ontario here :)
(London)

I have a group of mutual funds and a few ETFs that were set up by an advisor (who I have since given the boot - I was being charged way more than I realized)...so my question is are ETFs a pain to purchase on a regular basis?

Yeah, I'm on board for a meet-up if anyone wants to get together and stache-out :)

Legg-Stache

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2016, 09:49:40 AM »

Another one from SW Ontario here :)
(London)

I have a group of mutual funds and a few ETFs that were set up by an advisor (who I have since given the boot - I was being charged way more than I realized)...so my question is are ETFs a pain to purchase on a regular basis?

Yeah, I'm on board for a meet-up if anyone wants to get together and stache-out :)
[/quote]

Hi Dave!

I have yet to find a good way to set up a preauthorized contribution plan to Vanguard ETFs. I will be lump summing into Vanguard at the time of the switch (while still continuing to build through a pre-authorized plan in TD E-series).

This article is a decent, short summary on this topic. http://canadiancouchpotato.com/2010/09/14/dollar-cost-averaging-with-etfs-part-1/

Also, if you can make it out to Woodstock for a beer some night, my wife and I'd be happy to meet up and say hi! If this appeals, how about the evening of Sunday, June 26th at The Charles Dickens? If not, we're open to other dates and times?

Dave99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2016, 08:26:19 AM »
Thanks for the article Happiness!

Yeah, I've come across the same thing - it's unfortunate that ETFs don't provide better options.

I don't get out to Woodstock that often but let me figure out a time when I will be (I'm thinking either the beginning or end of the long weekend) - but let me get back to you :)

james.mitchell4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2018, 10:05:28 AM »
New resident of Barrie. Any young gay misers like myself looking to mingle? You wouldn't believe the size of my...TFSA.