Author Topic: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017  (Read 71698 times)

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Camp Mustache Canada - 2017
« Reply #1100 on: June 24, 2017, 10:24:29 PM »
We found flying to Buffalo advantageous in the past because we specifically wanted to fly Southwest (companion pass, lots of SW points, and relatively pet friendly compared to other airlines).

And if u go through Buffalo, u can see Niagara Falls...which is definitely cool. Some great hiking in the gorge too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanuckExpat

• Handlebar Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #1101 on: June 24, 2017, 10:32:59 PM »
Well apparently dw and I will be flying into Philadelphia and I am getting a bus from there somehow..

DW will be spending a few days with Mumsie and then they are driving up to pick me up from CMC on the Sunday.

I have not looked at any of this so I'm going on faith here..:)

Megabus seems to go Philadelphia to Toronto. It will be a long bus ride, but I've done an overnight on Mega Bus before and it's relatively comfortable (though I like busrides), and they are supposed to have Wifi on board. Megabus is different (no dedicated bus terminals, etc), but If you plan in advance, it's possible to get $1 tickets apparently.
Was targetting Freedom35 but ended up retiring a couple years early. Currently Based in Buffalo for the summer.

elaine amj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1102 on: June 25, 2017, 08:00:39 AM »
Well apparently dw and I will be flying into Philadelphia and I am getting a bus from there somehow..

DW will be spending a few days with Mumsie and then they are driving up to pick me up from CMC on the Sunday.

I have not looked at any of this so I'm going on faith here..:)

Megabus seems to go Philadelphia to Toronto. It will be a long bus ride, but I've done an overnight on Mega Bus before and it's relatively comfortable (though I like busrides), and they are supposed to have Wifi on board. Megabus is different (no dedicated bus terminals, etc), but If you plan in advance, it's possible to get $1 tickets apparently.

I have only done Megabus from DC to NyC and was pleased. Great price and comfortable ride. I lined up early (u can also reserve seats), and got front row top level seats which gave me room to stretch my legs. In the bus I was in, also no one behind me so no one kicking my seat. Wifi was fine.

I would do the Philly to Toronto route. Or Philly to Buffalo if the timing works out to carpool from Buffalo to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exflyboy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1103 on: June 25, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
Thanks all.. Well the Philly thing didn't quite work out so I am looking at flying direct to Buff or Toronto. Flights are running $350 to 375 for either destination with the preference being Buffalo. This assumes flying in on 19th and out on Mon 23rd..

Anybody got a carpooling spot I can join and when where so I can book the appropriate flight/spend night in hotel etc.

Thanks

ElleFiji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1104 on: June 25, 2017, 10:49:05 AM »
Anyone flying into Toronto, I can give public transit directions to ride pick ups. So far I don't see any offers in the ride thread from Buffalo, although I know that private carpools have been set up
Mediocrity is not an option for me. I don't want that and neither should you.
Olivia

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1105 on: June 27, 2017, 10:01:50 PM »
I am just now trying to catch up on the comings and goings of CMC.

Ideally I'd turn this into a 2 week vacation (assuming not FIREd by this time, or longer if FIREd) and see Toronto  (never been), Montreal (have been but would nice to revisit), maybe some Canadian national parks, Niagara Falls and as a stretch goal the NY Finger Lakes.

If such a grand journey is planned, I would probably fly into Montreal or Toronto and fly back home out of Buffalo or Syracuse (or vice versa). Hopefully I can carpool with some CMCers along the way.

I really need to start planning this thing!

BiochemicalDJ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Ride from Ottawa
« Reply #1106 on: July 04, 2017, 09:21:30 PM »
If anyone's coming from Ottawa, I can offer a ride to/from CMC 2017. I've only got room for 2 people though, and not a ton of luggage. Car's a 1999 Chevrolet Metro xD
Having fun isn't hard when you have a library card.

thriftycanadian

• Stubble
« Reply #1107 on: July 04, 2017, 09:29:47 PM »
following

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1108 on: July 04, 2017, 09:53:04 PM »
Nice to have more interest!!

We've already sold out for this year, but if folks want to go on the standby list, please see post 1.

<EDIT>
Thanks for your email Thrifty - you are on the waitlist.

I want to take a minute here to say how amazed I am at this community. As far as I know, this will be the first Camp Mustache outside the USA, and the first entirely filled through the forum. I capped our bunks at about 65, and in those bunks will be people from every region of the USA (Literally Coast to coast - Massachusetts to California, Florida to Michigan), From NWT, Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and BC, and from Europe (Sweden) and Australia. All coming to Podunk-ville Canada out of a common love of the community, and what it represents.

A big Bravo-Zulu to everyone here who reaches out and reaches up. Y'all's all right.
</EDIT>
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:29:20 PM by Prospector »
Illegitimi non carborundum

Follow along in The Oasis of Positivity.

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

okits

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1109 on: July 04, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

We've already sold out for this year, but if folks want to go on the standby list, please see post 1.

<EDIT>

I want to take a minute here to say how amazed I am at this community. As far as I know, this will be the first Camp Mustache outside the USA, and the first entirely filled through the forum. I capped our bunks at about 65, and in those bunks will be people from every region of the USA (Literally Coast to coast - Massachusetts to California, Florida to Michigan), From NWT, Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, and BC, and from Europe (Sweden) and Australia. All coming to Podunk-ville Canada out of a common love of the community, and what it represents.

A big Bravo-Zulu to everyone here who reaches out and reaches up. Y'all's all right.
</EDIT>

What can we say, Prospector.  You have GLOBALLY aroused in others an eager want.
Camp Mustache Canada... it's a thing now! Queen MonkeyJenga will be honoured with a meatball party there!

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1110 on: July 04, 2017, 11:41:12 PM »

<EDIT>

</EDIT>

What can we say, Prospector.  You have GLOBALLY aroused in others an eager want.

I don't think you're ever going to live down that phrasing, Prost.  We're all going to be going to CMC #34, and we're still going to be needling you while you keep turning down your hearing aids and yelling, "What?  I can't hear you," over and over.

eirual

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1111 on: July 23, 2017, 01:31:08 PM »
Hello from Facebook Land!

I've never had much luck on these forums, but will try harder knowing you're all here (yay)!

Will there be any day passes for those not wishing to stay the night?

~Laurie :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1112 on: Today at 02:14:21 AM »
Will there be any day passes for those not wishing to stay the night?

Prospector may change this, but Camp Mustache events traditionally don't do day passes, because it's really quite a bonding weekend; it makes a big difference to spend several days with everyone than just popping in for a short period.  It's a bummer for locals who are then paying for lodging they wouldn't otherwise need, but it tends to create a much more cohesive and enjoyable camp for all attendees.  :)
We are two former teachers who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, and now travel the world full time with a kid.
If you want to know more about me, or how we did that, or see lots of pictures, this Business Insider profile tells our story pretty well.
We (occasionally) blog at AdventuringAlong.com.
You can also read my forum "Journal."

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Your Life Money Coaching
« Reply #1113 on: Today at 01:15:58 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I sell Emergency Medical (and other) travel insurance for people visiting Canada.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1114 on: Today at 05:16:20 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I sell Emergency Medical (and other) travel insurance for people visiting Canada.

Tell me more, KMMK. Under what circumstances would we need it?

Prospector

• Walrus Stache
  • The late worm misses the bird.
« Reply #1115 on: Today at 05:25:55 PM »

Twice I've had times when it would have been good to have... Once when I reacted poorly to food in Cuba and spent a week with Cuba-butt instead of going to teh resort's clinic, and once when Chuck fell and broke her leg while we were vacationing on our boat - luckily that time we were in Canada, but the water taxi, hotels, etc. we had to use while she was treated weren't covered. Our credit cards now carry medical coverage as long as we booked a portion of the trip using them - check the card you booked your flight with.
Illegitimi non carborundum

Follow along in The Oasis of Positivity.

Camp Mustache Canada 2017 Organizing Committee member - Accepting names for standby list.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1116 on: Today at 05:56:28 PM »

Twice I've had times when it would have been good to have... Once when I reacted poorly to food in Cuba and spent a week with Cuba-butt instead of going to teh resort's clinic, and once when Chuck fell and broke her leg while we were vacationing on our boat - luckily that time we were in Canada, but the water taxi, hotels, etc. we had to use while she was treated weren't covered. Our credit cards now carry medical coverage as long as we booked a portion of the trip using them - check the card you booked your flight with.

We are driving.